Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Welcome To Hell, Elon

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:41 am
kalm wrote:
Oh…I thought you were trolling.

Note: my original point was…wait for it…post-partisan.

And of course it’s a choice. On a societal-cultural level. Humans are a social ape. Cooperation benefits our development, not just competition. We have swung far to the competition/dominator side of things.

You’d think a fine moderate such as yourself would recognize this.
I have a broader more post-partisan "definition" of uber-competitive, win-at-all-costs, narcissism. It isn't limited to individuals or conservative go-getters. While some on the right idolize uber-competitive, win-at-all-costs, narcissistic individuals like trump, some on the left idolize uber-competitive, win-at-all-costs, narcissistic groups such as AnTiFa and the Squad.

We have NOT swung far to the competition/dominator side of things. If anything, we've become less competitive and the idolization of trump is a normal reaction to the emasculation of America. Not everyone wants to go where you and other illiberals think we should be headed and their views and opinions are valid and should not be dismissed in the win-at-all-costs pursuit of your agenda

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Again…I never mentioned conservative or liberal in my original post you were responding to. And yes both sides are guilty. I have been guilty of this. We all have. It’s cultural.

But hey…if you want to continue to argue against cooperation and fair competition, and other things like traditional American values and an honest work ethic…be my guest.

:?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Lol…

Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

I wonder what I have to do to get self-esteem like Donald Trump and Elon Musk.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:41 am I have a broader more post-partisan "definition" of uber-competitive, win-at-all-costs, narcissism. It isn't limited to individuals or conservative go-getters. While some on the right idolize uber-competitive, win-at-all-costs, narcissistic individuals like trump, some on the left idolize uber-competitive, win-at-all-costs, narcissistic groups such as AnTiFa and the Squad.

We have NOT swung far to the competition/dominator side of things. If anything, we've become less competitive and the idolization of trump is a normal reaction to the emasculation of America. Not everyone wants to go where you and other illiberals think we should be headed and their views and opinions are valid and should not be dismissed in the win-at-all-costs pursuit of your agenda

Again…I never mentioned conservative or liberal in my original post you were responding to. And yes both sides are guilty. I have been guilty of this. We all have. It’s cultural.

But hey…if you want to continue to argue against cooperation and fair competition, and other things like traditional American values and an honest work ethic…be my guest.

I'm not arguing against cooperation and fair competition, and other things like traditional American values and an honest work ethic, I'm arguing for traditional American values like a competitive spirit and a will to win. Why are you against these? Why do you want to see America slip into mediocrity?

And FTR, there is a huge part of being uber-competitive that is hardwired and not a choice. Saying it's wrong to be that way (or to be masculine for that matter) is intolerant and bigoted.

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:38 am
kalm wrote:

I'm not arguing against cooperation and fair competition, and other things like traditional American values and an honest work ethic, I'm arguing for traditional American values like a competitive spirit and a will to win. Why are you against these? Why do you want to see America slip into mediocrity?

And FTR, there is a huge part of being uber-competitive that is hardwired and not a choice. Saying it's wrong to be that way (or to be masculine for that matter) is intolerant and bigoted.

Depends on how you see Uber-competitive. In this instance I’m referring to a culture wide phenomena that rewards cheating and the utter destruction of all competition. You know it’s there. We’ve swung too far in that direction. It’s a hallmark of late stage capitalism. This in no way means competition or capitalism are wrong so you can stop right there, mister broken record. :)

Signed,

A former D1 and professional athlete who also directly competed on a business level with the illiberal public sector.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:38 am

Depends on how you see Uber-competitive. In this instance I’m referring to a culture wide phenomena that rewards cheating and the utter destruction of all competition. You know it’s there. We’ve swung too far in that direction. It’s a hallmark of late stage capitalism. This in no way means competition or capitalism are wrong so you can stop right there, mister broken record. :)

Signed,

A former D1 and professional athlete who also directly competed on a business level with the illiberal public sector.
Examples of this culture-wide phenomena?

Gotcha, we need to move back to old-school "touchy feely" capitalists like Carnegie and Rockefeller.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:53 pm
kalm wrote:

Signed,

Examples of this culture-wide phenomena?

Gotcha, we need to move back to old-school "touchy feely" capitalists like Carnegie and Rockefeller.

You can start with the namesake of this thread obviously. Then move on to consolidation of ownership. A handful of companies controlling much of the world’s wealth, market and political power. That political power also wins favorable regulation and/or massive government contracts.

Do you think we don’t have modern day Carnegies and Rothchilds?

In many respects, this isn’t new.

“An imbalance between rich and poor is the oldest and most fatal ailment of all republics.”

- Plutarch
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:53 pm Examples of this culture-wide phenomena?

You can start with the namesake of this thread obviously. Then move on to consolidation of ownership. A handful of companies controlling much of the world’s wealth, market and political power. That political power also wins favorable regulation and/or massive government contracts.

“An imbalance between rich and poor is the oldest and most fatal ailment of all republics.”

- Plutarch
The namesake of this thread made electric cars cool and popular. You get rid of him, you lose that.

First you want to take away the incentive to innovate now you want to take a chunk out of the will to push the envelope. Your not so hidden objective is equality through mediocrity and misery.

Elon Musk has done more to push this country and the world forward than any politician in Washington (or MAL).

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:38 am
kalm wrote:

- Plutarch
The namesake of this thread made electric cars cool and popular. You get rid of him, you lose that.

First you want to take away the incentive to innovate now you want to take a chunk out of the will to push the envelope. Your not so hidden objective is equality through mediocrity and misery.

Elon Musk has done more to push this country and the world forward than any politician in Washington (or MAL).

lol.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:38 am The namesake of this thread made electric cars cool and popular. You get rid of him, you lose that.

I've got nothing so I'm going to pretend to not take you seriously.

lol.
FYP

I am open to you telling me who currently in Washington has done more than Musk.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:42 am
kalm wrote:
I've got nothing so I'm going to pretend to not take you seriously.

lol.
FYP

I am open to you telling me who currently in Washington has done more than Musk.

Yawn. That isn’t the debate.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:42 am

FYP

There is no debate. You've provided zero evidence that uber-competitive, win at all costs, narcissism is a choice.

People who are uber-competitive, win at all costs have done great things for this country and will do great things in the future if we give them the opportunity.

You would rather wallow in kumbaya mediocrity then advance our technology and quality of life.

If you asked me to bet on whether someone like Musk or someone like Greta Thunberg would solve climate change, I'm all in on someone like Musk.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:18 am
kalm wrote:
There is no debate. You've provided zero evidence that uber-competitive, win at all costs, narcissism is a choice.

People who are uber-competitive, win at all costs have done great things for this country and will do great things in the future if we give them the opportunity.

You would rather wallow in kumbaya mediocrity then advance our technology and quality of life.

If you asked me to bet on whether someone like Musk or someone like Greta Thunberg would solve climate change, I'm all in on someone like Musk.

What? Narcissism is a psychological condition. It could be part hard wiring but it’s certainly exacerbated by culture. And it can be very destructive. Is narcissism a requirement of success or genius? Does it need to be championed? Weird.

Ironically, Musk has benefitted from Greta.

I admire the true wizards as much as anyone else. Singer Porsche for their design. Cooper Kupp for outworking the competition. The point you seem to struggle with here is that I think we are capable of both grace and ambition.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:14 pm
kalm wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:10 pm

Uber-competitive, win at all costs (including illegally), narcissism is bankrupting what little American morality and ethics and we have left.

This is unsustainable.
Dude. Project Veritas has a Twitter engineer bragging how he only worked four hours a week. Replace those guys with those that are willing to give you an honest 40 and Twitter will become profitable.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Project Veritas - the next 100% truthful thing they put out there will be the first.
:thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:18 am There is no debate. You've provided zero evidence that uber-competitive, win at all costs, narcissism is a choice.

What? Narcissism is a psychological condition. It could be part hard wiring but it’s certainly exacerbated by culture. And it can be very destructive. Is narcissism a requirement of success or genius? Does it need to be championed? Weird.

I admire the true wizards as much as anyone else. Singer Porsche for their design. Cooper Kupp for outworking the competition. The point you seem to struggle with here is that I think we are capable of both grace and ambition.
You're losing the argument so you're tightening your defense to focus on narcissism.

Can you provide actual proof that Musk is a narcissist? You know, the same kind of proof that you want me to provide for Hunter.

Does this mean it's okay to be uber-competitive, win at all costs? Because I would guess that part of what makes Cooper Kupp great is that he's an uber-competitive,put in the work to win kind of guy.

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Pwns wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:20 am I wonder what I have to do to get self-esteem like Donald Trump and Elon Musk.
Be born rich, then pretend your success is all do to your own work.
:thumb:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:50 am
kalm wrote:

You're losing the argument so you're tightening your defense to focus on narcissism.

Can you provide actual proof that Musk is a narcissist? You know, the same kind of proof that you want me to provide for Hunter.

Does this mean it's okay to be uber-competitive, win at all costs? Because I would guess that part of what makes Cooper Kupp great is that he's an uber-competitive,put in the work to win kind of guy.

Now you’re projecting. I’m not the one all over the map in his arguments. :)

Evidence of Musk’s narcissism is everywhere in his public statements. I’m honestly surprised you’re not aware of this. Should we not take him at his word?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:50 am

Evidence of Musk’s narcissism is everywhere in his public statements. I’m honestly surprised you’re not aware of this. Should we not take him at his word?
I try to argue against stereotyping and bigotry regardless of ideology rather than making exceptions for people I disagree with.

You're a licensed psychiatrist now?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:54 pm
kalm wrote:

I try to argue against stereotyping and bigotry regardless of ideology rather than making exceptions for people I disagree with.

You're a licensed psychiatrist now?

Who am I stereotyping?

And yes.

:)
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:38 am
kalm wrote:

- Plutarch

Nonsense - the genie is out of the bottle no matter what Elon does. Which hopefully will be captaining the first rocket to Mars. :thumb:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:38 am The namesake of this thread made electric cars cool and popular. You get rid of him, you lose that.

Nonsense - the genie is out of the bottle no matter what Elon does. Which hopefully will be captaining the first rocket to Mars. :thumb:
If Socialists such as yourself had their way, Elon never would have made Tesla what it is today. Yes, the genie is out of the bottle but what future enhancements will society lose out on if we become a socialist nation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:37 am
houndawg wrote:
If Socialists such as yourself had their way, Elon never would have made Tesla what it is today. Yes, the genie is out of the bottle but what future enhancements will society lose out on if we become a socialist nation?

Elon inventing electric cars and space travel is sooo 2019.

:ohno:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

houndawg wrote:

:rofl:

Elon gets billions in subsidies from the gubmint :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:25 am

:rofl:

Elon gets billions in subsidies from the gubmint :coffee:
Well that’s where the money is….so you can then spend $44 billion, lose May if your largest advertisers, engage with everyone you don’t like, while satisfying the alt right cuck boys, all in order to stroke your gigantic ego.

Clever.