A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Some good news on climate

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:48 pm
kalm wrote:
He’s a freedom fighter for sure.
Just like you and the other Ctrl-lefties saving America from fascism. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You’re welcome. Somebody has to save you Volkssturm from yourselves. :)
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:41 pm
:rofl:

"...from my cold dead hands!"

We have an induction type electric stove and they're the shit, instantaneous adjustment. I think you're going to see plenty of voluntary transition
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

houndawg wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:08 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:41 pm

We have an induction type electric stove and they're the shit, instantaneous adjustment. I think you're going to see plenty of voluntary transition
Gotta come down in price, though, still way too expensive versus the gas stoves. Plus for folks with gas stoves there's the cost to cap the gas line and potentially install the electric for the new stove that wouldn't be there (or at least be able to increase the breaker size). I'll do it eventually, but I may also sell the house first (maybe the next 10 years) before I get around to getting a new stove.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:04 pm
houndawg wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:08 pm

Gotta come down in price, though, still way too expensive versus the gas stoves. Plus for folks with gas stoves there's the cost to cap the gas line and potentially install the electric for the new stove that wouldn't be there (or at least be able to increase the breaker size). I'll do it eventually, but I may also sell the house first (maybe the next 10 years) before I get around to getting a new stove.
True they aren't cheap yet and you need the right cookware, but if you haven't used one yet you're going to be surprised at the control you have, every bit as responsive as gas boil a tea kettle in 3 min and the instant, well there is a slight latency, no more than half a second from turning it down until the whistling stops
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

houndawg wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:41 pm
GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:04 pm

True they aren't cheap yet and you need the right cookware, but if you haven't used one yet you're going to be surprised at the control you have, every bit as responsive as gas boil a tea kettle in 3 min and the instant, well there is a slight latency, no more than half a second from turning it down until the whistling stops
We use induction heating in a lot of applications at work so I'm well familiar with them. I think they'll be plenty fine, as long as we're good with the electrical generation/consumption that will be required - they do require some power to function. As for the latency mention, the whistling from a tea kettle is from the vapor pressure of the boiling water. Just cutting the power isn't going to cut the whistling in an instant - the water is still at boiling temperature even if you cut off the heating power. That's probably just a function of your tea kettle having a whistle that needs a lot of pressure to whistle. My tea kettle on my gas range takes a second or two to stop when I cut the gas off, but I had one before this, same gas range, that took several seconds to stop whistling. It's a tea kettle thing.

And I'm fine with buying new cookware (assuming the ones I have aren't already induction ready). People should really replace their cookware more often anyway - that's where the real health issues arise. That probably swamps any health issues from burning gas.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:49 pm

We use induction heating in a lot of applications at work so I'm well familiar with them. I think they'll be plenty fine, as long as we're good with the electrical generation/consumption that will be required - they do require some power to function. As for the latency mention, the whistling from a tea kettle is from the vapor pressure of the boiling water. Just cutting the power isn't going to cut the whistling in an instant - the water is still at boiling temperature even if you cut off the heating power. That's probably just a function of your tea kettle having a whistle that needs a lot of pressure to whistle. My tea kettle on my gas range takes a second or two to stop when I cut the gas off, but I had one before this, same gas range, that took several seconds to stop whistling. It's a tea kettle thing.

And I'm fine with buying new cookware (assuming the ones I have aren't already induction ready). People should really replace their cookware more often anyway - that's where the real health issues arise. That probably swamps any health issues from burning gas.
caxt iron works, aluminum doesn't
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

houndawg wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:12 pm

Yup, I'm familiar with the science of induction heating. :thumb:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:14 pm
houndawg wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:12 pm

Yup, I'm familiar with the science of induction heating. :thumb:
cool! Educate me - what's the threshhold for ferric content in piece of cookware to be usable on an induction range? I ask because we have a 40 year collection of cookware that I'm sure can be mostly given away
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Yes, thats true; my point is that the same kettle responds very differently to an induction range than a conventional electric range.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Reality wins over fear! :thumb:

Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Pwns wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:29 am Reality wins over fear! :thumb:

Still doesn't fix the 40 year hole that crazed greens put us in by fearmongering on nuclear power for so long, but still a step in the right direction.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Why does something tell me the public won't get to see either the data or the methodology?

Science quacks.

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Played with a new Bosch induction stove at the house we rented when we were in Phoenix and I wasn't impressed with them. The whine that people complain about is very much present and for the model we used anything over mid-heat it was there and became louder the higher the temp.

The noise was irritating enough that I would pass on getting one for personal use. Heating was not much faster than gas stoves I have used and outside of the ease of cleaning the surface, I didn't see the benefit considering the price tag on them.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:54 am Played with a new Bosch induction stove at the house we rented when we were in Phoenix and I wasn't impressed with them. The whine that people complain about is very much present and for the model we used anything over mid-heat it was there and became louder the higher the temp.

The noise was irritating enough that I would pass on getting one for personal use. Heating was not much faster than gas stoves I have used and outside of the ease of cleaning the surface, I didn't see the benefit considering the price tag on them.
That's interesting. Industrially, the induction heaters we have certainly hum when power is engaged, which isn't really a detriment in a manufacturing plant. It would be interesting to see/hear the ones meant for use in the home. I agree, a noisy one in the house wouldn't be terribly attractive.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:20 am
Winterborn wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:54 am Played with a new Bosch induction stove at the house we rented when we were in Phoenix and I wasn't impressed with them. The whine that people complain about is very much present and for the model we used anything over mid-heat it was there and became louder the higher the temp.

That's interesting. Industrially, the induction heaters we have certainly hum when power is engaged, which isn't really a detriment in a manufacturing plant. It would be interesting to see/hear the ones meant for use in the home. I agree, a noisy one in the house wouldn't be terribly attractive.
I have been around the industry sized ones and that is a deeper hum, this was a higher pitch "buzz" that was probably towards the upper ranger of hearing (probably due to the power levels involved). If one has good hearing in that range, it is going to be hard to ignore.

That said I have only played with that one Bosch one, so not sure what the other brands are like, but now I definitely would want to try one out in the store before purchasing.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:20 am

Ours sounds like turning on your range hood
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Someone tell me what's worse, Donald Trump saying he's pulling out of the purely symbolic Paris Pinky Promise or the dumbass Germany closing down 3 nuclear plants? There is a correct answer.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Climate Change Thread Megathread

Post by UNI88 »

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Re: Climate Change Thread Megathread

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:55 pm Image
The debate is only academic now, we're past the tipping point regardless :coffee:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Look at the dates. They were polled at the peak of summer in the middle of a heat wave wirh all the accompanying alarmist news compared to the last poll being done in the middle of the fall with nothing going on.. :lol:

Now do the same poll like the last one, in the middle of Oct..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Impacts for me:

Cost and availability of water both public and private. Restrictions on what crops to grow for our farmed land and our garden.

Draught and irrigation impacts on golf local golf courses, the lakes and streams I like to fish and the habitats I love.

Population increases to our area from hotter climates.

Increased threat of skin cancer (wife already had melanoma once).

I’m resigned to accepting what happens. It’s impossible to be an American and not hypocritical on climate. Our lifestyle demands it. But I’ll continue to work on being better about the small things within my control like gardening, less consumption, recycling, etc.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:18 pm
Impacts for me:

Cost and availability of water both public and private. Restrictions on what crops to grow for our farmed land and our garden.

Draught and irrigation impacts on golf local golf courses, the lakes and streams I like to fish and the habitats I love.

Population increases to our area from hotter climates.

Increased threat of skin cancer (wife already had melanoma once).

I’m resigned to accepting what happens. It’s impossible to be an American and not hypocritical on climate. Our lifestyle demands it. But I’ll continue to work on being better about the small things within my control like gardening, less consumption, recycling, etc.
What is the impact of golf courses on climate and the environment? Do they use too much water and harm the ecosystem? Would we be better off returning golf courses to native vegetation? Maybe you should close down your course to really demonstrate your commitment.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:59 pm
Look at the dates. They were polled at the peak of summer in the middle of a heat wave wirh all the accompanying alarmist news compared to the last poll being done in the middle of the fall with nothing going on.. :lol:

Now do the same poll like the last one, in the middle of Oct..
Fair point. My guess is that it won't be as bad as the current poll but will still be worse than the October 2021 poll.

Attitudes are gradually changing and MAGAt yahoo statements and policies could be on the wrong side of public opinion in the future.