Political discussions
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: 2023 SCOTUS Rulings

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote:
GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:21 am Nor are we a nation that was founded on the forbidding of public religious expression. I'm pretty sure the case we're talking about had nothing to do with whether we were founded as a Christian nation. That feels strawman-like here. :coffee:
Its the pushing it on a captive audience like your football team that is the problem.
That would also apply to a classroom with a teacher displaying a Pride flag or similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:32 am
houndawg wrote:
Its the pushing it on a captive audience like your football team that is the problem.
That would also apply to a classroom with a teacher displaying a Pride flag or similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe - but I think that the FFs wouldn't look at a Pride flag or similar the same way they would look at a religious flag with a Cross or a Star of David.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:09 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:48 am

Nor were we a place founded on the idea that a public representative had to forsake their religious beliefs when acting in the public arena, nor were we a place founded on the idea that the mere acting out of a religious belief would be viewed as "pushing" their beliefs to anyone in view.
You both ^^ need to review the story as well as the controversy over Christmas displays at the Wa State capital.

Personal expression is protected. Compelling kids to participate is not. Something tells me a Church of Satan offering on the 50 might where most of the team gathered out of a desire to fit in might not go over well.

With Olympia at one time there were around 100 different displays crowding the area. It became unmanageable.

There are limitations to speech.
The facts in the case say that neither players nor students were compelled, required, or forced to participate in his prayers in any way whatsoever. :?