AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Mexican interests inquire about NCAA Division II members

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
He'd rather get caught up in the details of proving he's right about cruise lines still going to Mexico than face the reality that it's like the fucking wild West all over again down there, only with automatic weapons.
No, what I'd rather do is dispel myths and hyperbole about the country like...

"it's like the fucking wild West all over again down there, only with automatic weapons." or "even cruise liners don't stop in Mexico anyomre"

When was the last time you were in Mexico, AZ? You don't know what you're talking about.
I live 4 miles from the border...I have employees who live in Mexico...I have thousands of members who live in Mexico. I live this shit every day, junior.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Monarchs, Gators, Huskies

Post by ODUalum11 »

They allowed a canadian school to become a member, I dont see why they cant let a Mexican school become a member.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
TwinTownBisonFan wrote: THIS.

The WORST parts of the WORST cities in America would be considered SAFE in most of northern Mexico. There is what amounts to a low-level civil or sectarian war going on there... and while East St. Louis and South Central Los Angeles are "bad neighborhoods" a team bus could almost certainly roll through unscathed. Not so in Juarez or Nuevo Laredo or Mexicali. BIG difference.
Any universities in those cities suck anyway.

The universities that should be brought into D-II athletics are: UNAM in Mexico City, UDLAP in Cholula, UAG in Guadalajara, and Tecnologia de Monterrey in Monterrey.

These are the only universities with sports programs comparable to D-II US universities (a couple more comparable to D-I). Monterrey has recently seen violence increase.. so, fine, throw them off the list.

But, Mexico City, Cholula, Guadalajara, etc. aren't problems.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/ ... H520110209" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cartel hitmen are murdering rivals and terrifying residents across Mexico's second city Guadalajara as it prepares to host the Pan American Games in a deepening of the country's drugs war.

Gunmen firing automatic weapons torched vehicles and blockaded roads in the once-peaceful city this month, the most brazen act so far and an echo of the violence ravaging Mexico's northern border.

Guadalajara is the capital of the western state of Jalisco, home to Mexico's mariachi music and tequila, and was for long spared the beheadings and drive-by shootings tainting other areas of the country.

But drug killings in Jalisco more than doubled last year to almost 600, with about half of them in Guadalajara.
But more than 34,000 people have died across Mexico since the crackdown began, staining its image as the violence spreads beyond traditional border flashpoints such as Ciudad Juarez.

Drugs violence has already engulfed Monterrey, a similar size city to Guadalajara in terms of its economy and population, prompting some companies to freeze investment.

Grenade attacks, shootings and blockades are now a daily affair in Monterrey, which is Mexico's most modern city and was once seen as a beacon of order and prosperity.
http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-ne ... killing-14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.joshuafrens-string.com/2011/ ... estin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://headlinereviews.wordpress.com/20 ... adalajara/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Analjelly, you can continue to live in your cave, or come to the realization that the rest of America has already come to that Calderon is on the verge of losing control of the entire country. It's real. It's happening. Whether you want to admit it all tucked snugly into your little cocoon or not.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
OSBF
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: The Illinois State Univer
A.K.A.: old school bird fan

Post by OSBF »

clenz wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
There are plenty of urban areas in the good ol' US that SHOULD have travel warnings from State. :coffee:
Being that they are in America most people know what areas to avoid.

How many NCAA schools do you see in those neighborhoods?
Drake
"It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chew on your ass all day."
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

OSBF wrote:
clenz wrote: Being that they are in America most people know what areas to avoid.

How many NCAA schools do you see in those neighborhoods?
Drake
Touche.

Although Des Moines ghetto is a billion dollar mansion compared to Mexico.
TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by TwinTownBisonFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
TwinTownBisonFan wrote: THIS.

The WORST parts of the WORST cities in America would be considered SAFE in most of northern Mexico. There is what amounts to a low-level civil or sectarian war going on there... and while East St. Louis and South Central Los Angeles are "bad neighborhoods" a team bus could almost certainly roll through unscathed. Not so in Juarez or Nuevo Laredo or Mexicali. BIG difference.

The universities that should be brought into D-II athletics are: UNAM in Mexico City, UDLAP in Cholula, UAG in Guadalajara, and Tecnologia de Monterrey in Monterrey.

These are the only universities with sports programs comparable to D-II US universities (a couple more comparable to D-I). Monterrey has recently seen violence increase.. so, fine, throw them off the list.

While Mexico City and Guadalajara aren't as dangerous as the north - good luck getting a D-II school to 1. pony up for that travel and 2. get insurance to cover that trip.

Unless the schools are in Cancun or Mazatlan - it won't be happening.
North Dakota State University Bison 2011 and 2012 National Champions

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

TwinTownBisonFan wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:

While Mexico City and Guadalajara aren't as dangerous as the north - good luck getting a D-II school to 1. pony up for that travel and 2. get insurance to cover that trip.

Unless the schools are in Cancun or Mazatlan - it won't be happening.
KY spent 6 months in Mexico. He's an expert. Dont' question his assessment. :rofl:
OSBF
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: The Illinois State Univer
A.K.A.: old school bird fan

Post by OSBF »

If Mexico had a strong central govt it would be a safer place.
"It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chew on your ass all day."
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

AZGrizFan wrote:
KY spent 6 months in Mexico. He's an expert. Dont' question his assessment. :rofl:
How much time have you spent in Mexico since the drug war escalated in 2006? And where have you been?

I sure as hell feel like I have a better understanding of the situation than someone sitting on their couch reading sensationalist headlines and stories... and with opinions on the country like this:
the reality that it's like the fucking wild West all over again down there, only with automatic weapons.
:roll:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
How much time have you spent in Mexico since the drug war escalated in 2006?

I sure as hell feel like I have a better understanding of the situation than someone sitting on their couch reading sensationalist headlines and stories... and with opinions on the country like this:
the reality that it's like the fucking wild West all over again down there, only with automatic weapons.
:roll:
More than 34,000 people dead since Caldaron escalated his war on the cartels. 34,000 directly tied to the drug war and the cartels.

Much like communism where I don't need to read the fucking Communist Manifesto to know I don't agree with it, I don't need to go down and WITNESS the ongoing, daily, country-wide violence to know that it's happening. You want to keep your head firmly entrenched up your ass (where it is about 95% of the time), so be it. Feel free to use the interwebs and a thing called "Google". It's your friend.

Hell, you're still convinced Guadalajara and Monterrey are like going to Disneyland, despite reams of evidence to the contrary. :roll: :roll:

And here's a little ditty on your haven known as Mexico City:

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-sk ... -news-5593" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Three aspects of the stories are particularly ominous. First, until recently, Mexico City and its suburbs were largely immune from the gruesome battles among rival cartels. The incident of 11 bodies being dumped in Chalco, just outside the national capital, though, is the latest confirmation that Mexico City’s immunity is largely a thing of the past. The reality is that violent incidents there have been on the rise since late 2010. This new atrocity should shatter what remains of the complacency among the city’s political and economic elite.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

AZGrizFan wrote:I don't need to go down and WITNESS the ongoing, daily, country-wide violence to know that it's happening.
It's not country wide. I traveled the whole fucking country on a goddamned bicycle and no one so much as mugged me. :lol: I traveled through several of the states with the most drug war deaths -- Chihuahua, Sinaloa, Michoacan, Guerrero... but, guess what. I avoided Juarez, Culiacan, Chilpancingo, etc.

What is more vulnerable than a gringo riding down the side of the road on a bicycle? :lol: If the violence is as widespread as you say it is... I think SOMETHING bad would have happened to me. Even simply holding me up and taking my wallet.

Out of the MILLIONS of Americans that travel to Mexico every year... how many are killed?

Guess what the leading cause of death is among American tourists to Mexico? Drowning. :|

If you aren't involved in drugs and stay away from the hot zones... you're very safe. You're not immune... but, you are very safe.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:I don't need to go down and WITNESS the ongoing, daily, country-wide violence to know that it's happening.
It's not country wide. I traveled the whole fucking country on a goddamned bicycle and no one so much as mugged me. :lol: I traveled through several of the states with the most drug war deaths -- Chihuahua, Sinaloa, Michoacan, Guerrero... but, guess what. I avoided Juarez, Culiacan, Chilpancingo, etc.

What is more vulnerable than a gringo riding down the side of the road on a bicycle? :lol: If the violence is as widespread as you say it is... I think SOMETHING bad would have happened to me. Even simply holding me up and taking my wallet.

Out of the MILLIONS of Americans that travel to Mexico every year... how many are killed?

Guess what the leading cause of death is among American tourists to Mexico? Drowning. :|

If you aren't involved in drugs and stay away from the hot zones... you're very safe. You're not immune... but, you are very safe.
I guess that means that since I was able to walk through East St. Louis after mid-night drunk one night it is completely safe. :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:

You are the biggest fucking hypocrite on the planet. You absolutely SKEWER anyone who uses anecdotal evidence to support their claim and then THAT'S the best you've got??? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You're fucking priceless. So you ignore REAMS of evidence to the contrary and base your entire argument about why it's safe on the fact YOU weren't acosted? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jesus...that's rich, man. :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

What evidence have you posted that the violence in Mexico is country wide?

Yeah, 34,000 deaths is a shitload. No doubt. BUT, IT'S CONCENTRATED IN VERY FEW AREAS. You post that there have been 300 deaths in Guadalajara. That's nothing. :lol:

I'm not saying the entire country is safe and there is no problem whatsoever. I'm saying the violence isolated.

You're saying the whole country is a warzone. And you are fucking wrong.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

AZGrizFan wrote: You're fucking priceless. So you ignore REAMS of evidence to the contrary and base your entire argument about why it's safe on the fact YOU weren't acosted? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I haven't ignored any evidence. Much less REAMS of evidence. :lol:
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Gruesome murders appear to be commonplace in Mexico. The severed heads of eight men found in pairs along highways in Durango. Seventeen people massacred at a birthday party in Torreon. The bodies of 55 people found dumped in a mine near the town of Taxco.

Mexicans and their American neighbors are being bombarded by news of shootouts, bombings, kidnappings and executions as drug smugglers battle each other and the government for control of the narcotics trade.

But a closer look at the latest official statistics indicates that much of Mexico has modest murder rates. The horrific violence that is jacking up the national death toll is largely in nine of Mexico's 31 states.

Despite a wave of killings in these states, the murder rate in 2009 was still lower than it was a decade before, long before the Mexican government began a crackdown against the cartels.
The statistics show that the most deadly violence is happening in northern Mexico close to the U.S. border where smuggling occurs, and in the states where marijuana and heroin are produced. Also:

The state with the lowest murder rate is Yucatán, the Gulf of Mexico state known for its beaches and Mayan ruins. Its murder rate of 2 per 100,000 was comparable to Wyoming and Montana.

•Washington, D.C.'s murder rate is nearly quadruple that of the Mexican capital, Mexico City. Washington's murder rate was 31.4 per 100,000 people in 2008; Mexico City's rate in 2009 was 8.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2010 ... ence_N.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:What evidence have you posted that the violence in Mexico is country wide?

Yeah, 34,000 deaths is a shitload. No doubt. BUT, IT'S CONCENTRATED IN VERY FEW AREAS. You post that there have been 300 deaths in Guadalajara. That's nothing. :lol:

I'm not saying the entire country is safe and there is no problem whatsoever. I'm saying the violence isolated.

You're saying the whole country is a warzone. And you are fucking wrong.
I've never said the whole country was a war zone. Nice dodge, putting words in my mouth. :roll:
Skjellyfetti wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: You're fucking priceless. So you ignore REAMS of evidence to the contrary and base your entire argument about why it's safe on the fact YOU weren't acosted? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I haven't ignored any evidence. Much less REAMS of evidence. :lol:
Dude...you're beyond help. You make a blanket statement...I prove it wrong....now you backpedal and suddenly
Skjellyfetti wrote:300 deaths in Guadalajara. That's nothing. :lol:
Rinse. Repeat. You repeatedly get your ass kicked and you keep coming back for more.

The point of this entire thread is that there's no WAY a university could/would take the chance of sending down a sports team into that cesspool and cross their fingers, bury their head in the sand and hope the team gets back ok.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

If Mexico City is too dangerous to send a sports team, I hope they avoid Washington, DC as well.

Since DC's murder rate is 4x as high as DF's.
Last edited by Skjellyfetti on Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

http://www.prominix.com/sblock/admin/im ... 202010.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

take a look at this presentation, analjelly, and get back to me.

Yeah, there might be pockets of safety in Mexico, but it's only a matter of time before they, much like your much ballyhooed examples of Monterrey, Mexico City and Guadalajara, are overrun with the violence that is firmly entrenched in 2/3rds of the country.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:If Mexico City is too dangerous to send a sports team, I hope they avoid Washington, DC as well.

Probably not a bad idea. It will only take ONE team that's abducted and beheaded to make a political statement.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:If Mexico City is too dangerous to send a sports team, I hope they avoid Washington, DC as well.

Probably not a bad idea. It will only take ONE team that's abducted and beheaded to make a political statement.
Not a bad idea to avoid DC as well?
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote:

I'm chipping in for NDSU's trip to Monterey...boosters included
:thumb:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

dbackjon wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

I'm chipping in for NDSU's trip to Monterey...boosters included
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :nod:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Should we cancel the Cancun Tipoff Challenge that's been held every year in Mexico with no problem?

HOW CAN WE SEND THESE COLLEGE STUDENTS INTO THE HEART OF THE BEAST WHERE THEY FACE CERTAIN DEATH BY DECAPITATION?!!?

- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Not a bad idea to avoid DC as well?
I was being facetious. DC's murders aren't political statements. They don't happen in groups of 15, 20, 25, or 50.
Violent crime in Washington, D.C. has declined 46% since 1995. Property crimes have dropped 46.3%. From Wikipedia:
There were 181 murders and non-negligent homicides in Washington, D.C. in 2007, and 131 homicides in 2010, the lowest such tally since 1963
Christ, it's a bed of tranquility compared to your example of Guadalajara. :roll: :roll: