Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: poontang
A.K.A.: Rainman

Re: D-I break down of what could happen the next 3 years

Post by Fresno St. Alum »

clenz wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:its either them or UW-Milwaukee who hasn't been good for a while.
UW-Mil isn't popular with some, but has a lot more support than any of the Dakota's honestly.
But why, NDSU and SDSU are good bball and fb schools, the MVC could have football under the same umbrella no more MVFC.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
clenz wrote: UW-Mil isn't popular with some, but has a lot more support than any of the Dakota's honestly.
But why, NDSU and SDSU are good bball and fb schools, the MVC could have football under the same umbrella no more MVFC.
They don't want that...and that is a sure way to put the MVC in the exact same spot as the Big East has been the last couple years....
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

ok so why is UWM>NDSU & SDSU. bball not better, they don't have fb. Are they way better academically?
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Fresno St. Alum wrote:ok so why is UWM>NDSU & SDSU. bball not better, they don't have fb. Are they way better academically?
That I can't answer...I can tell you they are a more popular option than either Dakota with the majority of MVC fans, as well as higher ups.

If NDSU was geographically where UWM is it may be a different story....who knows.

The fact is that right now the Dakota's are very unpopular.

I just listed the schools that were more popular and likely to be addressed first. I know Jon wants to poo-poo anything that doesn't speak greatly of the Summit/Mid-Con/Horizon...we've seen this in the past, especially when it comes to the MVC. The fact is those schools, I know for a fact, have been discussed as very real candidates. It very much depends on what happens with the C7.

The conference also wants to try to keep itself away from what the Big East away from the conference - adding the Dakota's doesn't help that at all. UNI has said they are 100% dedicated to the MVC and won't do anything with football that would result in that being compromised - unless there is a shift with someone leaving the conference.

If we are forced to add an inferior Olympic sports program geography/keeping current members happy will play a large part in it - both of which bode VERY badly for NDSU and SDSU and USD and UND
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

Okay most of those aren't happening. They'll all go way out west for Denver but not to SDSU or NDSU? SDSU and USD are closer than UWM to the western side of the MVC if we are talking what if NDSU was where UWM was. ORU? wow I don't get that. Murray St. I thought would be the best candidate if a fb school left like Missouri St. to the SBC
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

They problem you're not grasping here it's that the mvc and mvfv are two different conferences.the mvc I'd very wary if what happened to the big east, they don't want that. At least 6 of the mvc schools will vote against the dakotas. It's not happening unless the mvc becomes the summit part 2

Sent from the nexus of the universe
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

clenz wrote:They problem you're not grasping here it's that the mvc and mvfv are two different conferences.the mvc I'd very wary if what happened to the big east, they don't want that. At least 6 of the mvc schools will vote against the dakotas. It's not happening unless the mvc becomes the summit part 2

I am aware, read my posts(1st on this page I state they are separate), I believe on here or csi and csn I said if they get a fb only school or 2 to be a full member they would no longer have to be the MVFC and coulf be MVC fb under the 1 MVC umbrella. SIU, UNI, ISU, Ind St., MSU would be against that? I can see Drake, WSU, Bradley saying no, Creighton will be gone.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

the no votes will come from these for sure

WSU -100% no. They want no part of anymore football schools. They don't want a geographic outlier.
Bradley - see WSU
Drake - see WSU, and they attach themselves to a similar profile acadmeically/institutionally as Creighton strongly so add that in
Evansville - see WSU
ISUb - Wants zero part of that travel. They were against the DSU's in football, and very strongly against USD. They are part of the reason it took so long to get a conference football schedule set, as they refused to "west" more than twice a season, which meant with the having to have a team not play every team and them not wanting to go west, etc... They are a definite no for Olympic sports

Likely no from
ISUr - against the DSU move in football due to travel, but not terribly opposed (because we needed teams) but see ISUb for USD and football. I am very tempted to put them in a for sure no category but don't know for sure.
MSU - Wasn't a fan of the DSU's in football, but wasn't too upset about it. Hated the addition of USD. I don't see them giving a yes.

Not sure
UNI - honestly don't know hour Dannen would vote. For sure the closest of any to a yes vote, but that is very up in the air depending on who leaves.
SIU -wasnt a fan of the dsu football move but didn't speak ill of it, completely against usd football move. I can't see a yes vote due to the cost of travel for olympic sports with their budget situation.

I'm not sure what the required yes vote %, but I'd guess it at either 2/3 or 3/4. I can almost promise you that won't happen with NDSU. SDSU is interesting as they get closer to the geographic footprint, but their current facilities will keep them out.

If you'd put NDSU/SDSU in Milwaukee, Kansas City, Chicago, etc... they are a slam dunk yes. Geography plays a big part in the MVC. Which is why schools like ORU, Tulsa, UWM, UI-C, Loyola, St. Louis, DePaul, etc... have all been mentioned.

The MVC really wants no part of running an MVC football league, which is why they stopped in 1985. They are okay with another part of the building running it under it's own conference, but want no part of it wrapped in with the olympic sports.

Does the MVC really want to add 2 more teams to split NCAA revenue with that will likely struggle to get an at-large bid to the NCAAs? Hanging on to a 9 team league may be the better option there.

There is also a chance, depending what happens with the C7/A10 that a school like Dayton gets left out. They are an outlier geographically for Drake, UNI, WSU, and MSU, but all 4 would be willing to bring Dayton in if things go wrong for them.

The MVC will wait to see what happens there, as there are likely schools out there that can be brought in that will have better national profiles
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

clenz wrote:
dbackjon wrote:
No one said that MVC is not head and shoulders above the Summit League as a whole. But the Dakota schools have the potential to be up there with all the above schools. And frankly, NDSU is at the level of all those schools mentioned, except Creighton, and they are likely ditching the MVC.

What better options does MVC have?
The MVC is the predominant "mid-major" league that will do everything to protect that. NDSU and SDSU do nothing to protect that. Potential isn't what realignment is about.
Clenz you've done a nice job of explaining why the xDSU's and USD won't be considered but I need to point out that when the MVC added UNI it was all about potential. UNI wasn't nearly the best option from a men's BBall and Olympic sports perspective, UW Green Bay had a much better and more consistent program. UNI was more at UIC's level. I would put the xDSU's potential as higher than UNI's. They are the top schools in their states, granted those states have smaller populations. If you're looking at adding tv sets to your footprint, I would rather have a very large share of a very small market than a tiny share of a small market. The MVC should take a long-term strategic approach and your argument that the xDSU's would cause a lot of tension and likely defections IMO outweighs the potential they bring to strengthen the conference long-term. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

I heard Belmont thrown out as an option today. What about them? Also UALR
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

KC Star has NDSU and SDSU as possible replacements for Evansville and Creighton. Evansville went on record last year as a candidate for the Horizon. b/c they can't hang in the MVC

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/02/07/40 ... letic.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

FWIW, the dsu schools were one vote from not getting into the mvfc even. The conference had to promise both isu schools they wouldn't go west more than once per year. That didn't away isur, but did isub. If not for that both are big sky as they'd be the only other conference that would've taken them

there is a very very strong anti football feeling with the mvc schools right now and uwm, slu, uic, even belmont and ualr are getting more love.

Could it happen? Sure. However, it's going to takes a MAJOR shift on the coherence as out sits now
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

FWIW, NDSU and SDSU are being desicussed on an MVC forum....if you think I'm negative on them you should see some of the comments from other schools.

There is a very strong anti-football push by the MVC. I can't say that enough. Even the football schools in the MVC are basketball first.

Here are some quotes on the topic, and some figures that prove why the fans/schools around the MVC aren't real excited to bring them on....
Would NDSU/SDSU be a package deal? Heck, would all 4 Dakotas be a package deal? What's the story with North Dakota these days, still hung up by the nickname thing, or just content to be in the Big Sky long-term? I'm just wondering how invites would happen if it came to it. The MVC HAS to protect its basketball product (and you'll find a lot of people here see this as a basketball conference first and would sacrifice football power to keep it that way).
no thanks. You guys bring nothing to the conference other than a low population state we won't recruit and longer travel.
Not interested in SDSU until they address their facilities. That basketball arena is ancient...
telling a 17 year old kid they can play road games in ND and SD every year has sold, um, zero kids ever.

CU, WSU, and MSU will be gone before you would be invited.

You guys are outliers. Here is what the MVC would look like with you guys
http://i.imgur.com/ajHQsge.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My added thoughts to the quote - to add to this, I also think UNI, Evansville, and both ISUs would try to leave.
You clearly know anything about the MVC culture, its a basketball league, YSU was a football powerhouse for a few years but that didn't help them get into the MVC. WKU went FBS because they couldn't get an MVC invite. Do you think we will make an exception for you when you guys are in a much smaller state and offer less(dramatically less in basketball than WKU) And honestly the Missouri State fanbase wouldn't care if all 3 Dakotas left in football, we didn't want you in the first place.

And how does the MVFC need you guys? We have always been a strong league but its FCS(might as well be D3 in the eyes of the average football fan, nobody cares). It's not like you guys are getting us a fat TV contract or anything that actually helps us

My added thoughts - this bolded sentiment is shared by pretty much everyone
The MVC and MVFC are two different entities. They aren't technically related to each other at all. Football has no bearing in a basketball-first conference, especially FCS football.

The Dakota schools offer too little from virtually every angle to be rationally considered for expansion if it ever went to that. They'll be at least 6 Valley schools that would oppose their additions. That won't get it done. Sorry.

another posted quoted this and added

^^ THIS ^^ as I mentioned before, adding dakota territorial schools increases travel costs exponentially for ALL MVC schools, especially for all the olympic sports, I would venture to say that 8 schools would oppose these additions
I figured that the XDSUs, if push came to shove, would be forced to play the "take us for everything or we leave the MVCF" card. Assuming the Summit crumbles, they're likely going to be in a position where they have find a new conference for non-football (presumably Big Sky, but who knows. they're pretty crammed). And I could easily see the Big Sky ask for all-or-nothing in membership.

In that scenario, I think the MVC would tell the Dakotas to move along. The benefits they provide in football do not make up for the problems in other sports, IMO. This league will sacrifice the football product for basketball gain.

That's kind of the problem with NDSU in particular. From my impressions, they're a football school looking for membership in a conference where all 10 schools are basketball schools first, even if 5 of them have football. That's a bit of a cultural fit problem without an easy solution. NDSU does appear to be spending more on basketball though. But money doesn't always mean results. We'll see.

As I've written before, the Valley is in a very high-stakes game right now. They need to hold on to the lead draft in college basketball behind the power 6, C7, A-10, and MWC. We're starting to see a clear delineation between those conferences + us + WCC, and everyone else clearly behind. We have to hold onto their lead draft and not become the leaders of the second wave of conferences. Frankly, in a vacuum, NDSU as an addition would bring us closer to the second wave. SDSU might, might, might help, but are probably neutral at best.
If things break right in the A-10/C7 hostile takeover, Dayton could fall into our lap. I'm thinking a C-14 with St Louis, Detroit, Butler, Xavier, and other A-10 schools, but not Dayton, and all of a sudden they become a bit of an outlier in the A-10.
I do actually think NDSU does bring some strengths to the table, so I'm not against it as much as others. But there's a lot of risk, and it feels like the MVC would be taking a big risk. NDSU would have to keep up the winning. There's a big difference between the Summit and the MVC. Same thing I've tried to tell everyone who keeps thinking Murray State and/or Belmont is a good idea.

This was quoted and had this added by another poster

^^This^^
I think that the big question is this: If CU leaves, is our conference anything more than a 1 bid league? I say no. The only way to try to get back to the 2-bid status is by adding something that makes the league better. Are xDSU the answer? I don't know. Certainly there is risk with those schools but I stand by my statement that most years (without CU) we are 1 bid league. So does their addition (or any others for that matter) make our league a 2 bid league. If this is true, shouldn't we be looking for schools that are established and have a history in the tournament
The minute any ____ Dakota ____ gets approved, the basketball schools needs to find a way out ASAP. Given the choice to spend a dollar on addressing a need in basketball or their lower division football program (or in UND's case, hockey), they're almost sure to spend it on football (or hockey). Look to the MAC, where the athletic departments are all spending tens of millions on football stadiums, facilities and coaches, while their perpetual one-bid basketball league founders, and two-time MAC coach of the year at Kent State Geno Ford is poached by a last place MVC team. The MVC has prospered relative to its peers because it's always been a league of basketball-first schools, and that's where it shepards its resources. Priority matters.

Now, Murray State, Loyola or Valpo (or SLU if they get left out) would all be suitable replacements.
The issue is priority, not whether a program has football. A program can have football and still make basketball its priority. That's the case with most if not all of existing MVC programs. Valpo certainly prioritizes its basketball over its lower division football, and I think the same can be said for Murray State.

This isn't an issue for schools like Texas or Ohio State who can fund both football and basketball to their heart's content, but at the midmajor level choices have to be made. The MAC has a football-first culture the last couple decades and throws millions at it, to the detriment of its basketball. The MVC has a basketball-first culture, and unsurprisingly has consistently outperformed them.
I get the feeling Murray is a basketball school, not a football school. Kinda like how UNC is a basketball school instead of a football school.

I do get the sense SDSU would go basketball first, while NDSU would probably lean football. So if we add one Dakota only, it would be SDSU.

Oh, and people thinking this is a one-bid league without Creighton are nuts.
I'll say it again, there is not a snowball's chance in you know where that the dakota territorial schools are added to the MVC anytime soon.

The president's of the league are not going to sit down and approve schools that will exponentially increase travel costs for every MVC team. Then you're looking at putting all your volleyball, women's basketball, soccer, tennis, swimming, baseball, and golf teams on expensive airline flights to far flung reaches of dang near Canada. Just not gonna happen.

The ONE scenario where it MIGHT happen is if there are massive defections from the MVC, i.e., CU leaves, then Evansville leaves, then WSU, Bradley, and Drake leave. Then yes, I could see where the MVC would more than likely add the dakota territory schools. But unless we have major defections we will add schools that are much more established in basketball

This was quoted by a poster who addedd golf teams on expensive airline flights to far flung reaches of dang near Canada. Just not gonna happen."

There might be more merit to this than you realize. I remember when the Dakotas entered the MVFC, there were some schools (SIU & InSU if I remember correctly) that almost didn't go along with it and finally agreed to their entering only after it was determined and formalized that they would never have to make more than one trip to the Dakotas per football season. Travel costs was the reason.

That was quoted by another poster who added

you are correct, the dakota schools were ONE vote from not being admitted to the MVFC, guess who cast the final vote to approve their admittance, Indiana State. If INS votes "no" there are no dakota schools in the MVFC.

And as far as making only one trip to the dakotas each year for INS, well that didn't last long, our schedule for 2013 is out and we make TWO trips to the dakotas this Fall. I am sure we were one of the schools who specifically required that we would only need to make one trip up there annually. It's quite possible we are getting some financial assistance for the 2nd trip from somewhere?
Lakesbison tried to talk about RPI's this year and was instantly blasted for a number of reasons
how about next time you include SOS's from your dakota schools, you all play in a crap conference against crap teams with crappy SOS's. You schedule like MVC schools do and you lose MANY more games, your record is closer to .500 or even below .500 and you two would be Thursday play-in teams in St. Louis every year. Hey wait, maybe THAT would be a good reason to admit them, new Thursday play-in teams for "Drake night" at the 'Lou
The issue with football is that NDSU values its football program over its basketball program. If it turns a profit, great, but where is the profit going? Probably reinvested back into the football program, along with whatever revenue the basketball program churns out.

Case in point: SDSU is raising $28 million for a football indoor practice facility--

http://www.sdstate.edu/news/articles/sdsu-sandford.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meanwhile the basketball team plays in a dumpy half filled 6k seat arena that's actually had its capacity significantly reduced over the last 20 years.

NDSU pays its football coach $206k, along with a cut of ticket sales and performance bonuses. But its basketball coach would be far and away the lowest paid in the MVC.

Mens basketball coaches salaries
Wichita St $1.5M
Creighton $1.35M
Bradley $700k
UNI $500k
ISU Red $375k
MSU $241k
SIU $300k (but they were paying Lowery $750k IIRC)
Drake $274k
ISU Blue $219k
Evansville $180k
SDSU $152k
NDSU $135k

Lakesbison added "NDSU would build a new arena that would average 7K people, which is false as their renovation actually takes seats out of the arena, which is already the smallest if included in the valley. He also said that they would hire a coach at 250k instantly. Which is complete horse shit, and would still be the second lowest paid coach in the valley
First of all, those attendance figures for the XDSU's are absolutely atrocious. Attendance figures are more relevant from a conference expansion perspective than RPI because RPI numbers can and do fluctuate from year to year. But the fact that both the XDSU's are having their best year ever and are still worse than the Valley's worst is a huge red flag for me. It says the support and the resources just aren't there for long-term, sustainable success. No thanks on the Dakotas. Next?
I have no problem with the dakotas, but I don't see how them joining the MVC benefits anybody but XDSU. I couldn't care less about football exposure and they would not help our basketball profile at all. Major market exposure? No. Tradition of winning? No. Natural rivalries? No. Within existing footprint? No. Additional expenses for all sports? Yes.

I'd pass.
Nobody who builds an IPF "needs it." It gives your football and baseball teams an advantage over northern teams who aren't able to hold full practices in seasonably cold winters. It's something football schools do.

There is always more ways to spend on football. Always. Whether it be paying head coaches, paying assistant coaches, skybox upgrades, jumbotron upgrades or whatever. Especially if you're considering a move up to FBS. That ambition among the FCS schools in the Valley will kill basketball and lead to a Big East-style split.

Where is the announcement about a mens basketball practice facility? It's nice that you feel NDSU is going to make a basketball commitment in the future, but what we see right now is a football school that hires cut rate basketball coaches to coach in front of 3k crowds in a 5.8k stadium because its football coach wins (lower division) "nattys."
I thought NDSU had money, but I am starting to rethink that.

They play football in an off campus facility that they don't own.

UNI is a good comparison with the successful football program. We are paying Farley 294k and Jake gets 500k. Even with 'nattys' they are only paying Bohl 206k and whoever the hell their basketball coach is only making 135k.

Hmmmmm. Seeing the numbers is really starting to change my views on NDSU...
Lakesbison wrote:Rumors are flying today oakland to horizon omaha to wac? I call BS.

but yes, NDSU needs to start pushing the mvc. Rivalry is already there with UNI SIU for NDSU, bigtime hatred.
There is no rivalry from the UNI/SIU side. NDSU might feel that way but the fact is UNI and SIU don't give two squirts of piss about NDSU compared to the rest of the MVFC.

The MVFC MVC schools are still basketball first schools...which is exactly why UNI, who is likely the biggest football MVC school has publicly stated they will do nothing with football that will harm the standing in the current MVC in any way.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

UNI88 wrote:
clenz wrote: The MVC is the predominant "mid-major" league that will do everything to protect that. NDSU and SDSU do nothing to protect that. Potential isn't what realignment is about.
Clenz you've done a nice job of explaining why the xDSU's and USD won't be considered but I need to point out that when the MVC added UNI it was all about potential. UNI wasn't nearly the best option from a men's BBall and Olympic sports perspective, UW Green Bay had a much better and more consistent program. UNI was more at UIC's level. I would put the xDSU's potential as higher than UNI's. They are the top schools in their states, granted those states have smaller populations. If you're looking at adding tv sets to your footprint, I would rather have a very large share of a very small market than a tiny share of a small market. The MVC should take a long-term strategic approach and your argument that the xDSU's would cause a lot of tension and likely defections IMO outweighs the potential they bring to strengthen the conference long-term. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
The defections that the MVC would face simply isn't worth the added TV sets in Sioux Falls, Brookings, and Fargo. Losing MSU, WSU, and Evansville (at a minimum) is not worth it).

Being a small fish in the Chicago/Milwaukee/Dayton market is by far a better way to go over dominating the Fargo/Brookings market.

Being on TV sets in Chicago is worth it...Even if we get a small portion of the Chicago market.
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

fans matter 0, if the Prez' don't want them it won't happen. W/ Evansville and Creighton(2 bball schools) gone, could that change things?

Chi market, UIC, you guys want them? Markets are over blown, Boise has none, everyone wanted them b/c they're good. They matter even less in non fbs conferences. Horizon has better markets, so does the NEC neither come close to the MVC in talent, tv time.
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

Rank the order you think the MVC would want schools http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/60/Cbd1.PNG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FargoBison
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by FargoBison »

Clenz the renovated arena will be bigger by a whopping 90 seats, plus whatever capacity standing room adds. This is the second time I've heard you say this so I will even break it down....

Basketball capacity: 5,945
Courtside: 73
Bowl chairs: 2,119
Bowl bench seating: 1,779
Club seats: 123
Upper level chairs: 1,851

Some of the seating will be retractable some will be permanent. It sounds like we'll start bidding out construction contracts this spring.

As for the MVFC, it was the best thing that ever happened to NDSU. Only way to get MVC schools admin to Fargo so they can see what NDSU is all about. A lot of people who have the most negative views have never been to NDSU or even cared to educate themselves about our school. I don't know if NDSU will ever join the MVC but I do know it helps being in the MVFC, it doesn't hurt.

Also NDSU fits into the valley in every way but one and that is geographically we are on the fringe. I fully realize that could be an issue for some.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

WAC board floated a Denver - Air Force Oly's as a combo to MVC should they need to add programs. Any truth to those rumor? (this is directed at clenz & FSA)

Pretty scary that the XDSU's and USD could be homeless if the Summit implodes. I guess that just the way the cookie crumbles. Meh.

Great move by UMKC though. They saw a window of opportunity and took it. Good on them. Also kudos to the WAC, they are landing members in some considerable markets. Wonder if Denver will pull a Boise and stay/return to the WAC.
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

SDHornet wrote:WAC board floated a Denver - Air Force Oly's as a combo to MVC should they need to add programs. Any truth to those rumor? (this is directed at clenz & FSA)

Pretty scary that the XDSU's and USD could be homeless if the Summit implodes. I guess that just the way the cookie crumbles. Meh.

Great move by UMKC though. They saw a window of opportunity and took it. Good on them. Also kudos to the WAC, they are landing members in some considerable markets. Wonder if Denver will pull a Boise and stay/return to the WAC.
Air Force is all MWC. Writers message boards are combining the BE west idea where they wanted AFA and AFA would need MVC to take their other sports MVC said they wanted to stay at 10. BE since took it up the ass and AFA, BSU, SDSU are all safe and sound for good in the MWC unless the Pac 12 calls. Doubt they ever do. They'll rehash Texahoma 10 times then stay at 12 before settling for any of us.

Denver seems pretty far west if NDSU is too north but Denver is a nice market w/ a team nowhere near as good as SDSU, NDSU, Belmont, ORU, Murray St., Valpo.
FargoBison
Level2
Level2

Post by FargoBison »

If the Summit collapses NDSU has other options.

Other schools might not be so fortunate though, UNO and WIU especially.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

clenz wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Clenz you've done a nice job of explaining why the xDSU's and USD won't be considered but I need to point out that when the MVC added UNI it was all about potential. UNI wasn't nearly the best option from a men's BBall and Olympic sports perspective, UW Green Bay had a much better and more consistent program. UNI was more at UIC's level. I would put the xDSU's potential as higher than UNI's. They are the top schools in their states, granted those states have smaller populations. If you're looking at adding tv sets to your footprint, I would rather have a very large share of a very small market than a tiny share of a small market. The MVC should take a long-term strategic approach and your argument that the xDSU's would cause a lot of tension and likely defections IMO outweighs the potential they bring to strengthen the conference long-term. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
The defections that the MVC would face simply isn't worth the added TV sets in Sioux Falls, Brookings, and Fargo. Losing MSU, WSU, and Evansville (at a minimum) is not worth it).

Being a small fish in the Chicago/Milwaukee/Dayton market is by far a better way to go over dominating the Fargo/Brookings market.

Being on TV sets in Chicago is worth it...Even if we get a small portion of the Chicago market.
I was agreeing with you when I said that "the likely defections IMO outweigh the potential they (the xDSU's) bring to strengthen the conference long-term."

Very Small Market = North Dakota
Small Market = Iowa
The reality is that NDSU has a much bigger share of the ND market than UNI has of the Iowa market and the total number of people in ND paying attention to NDSU games is greater than the total number of people in Iowa paying attention to UNI games. UIC isn't a small fish in the Chicago market, it's an amoeba; its share of the Chicago market is infinitesimal. Chicago is dominated by pro teams, the B1G0, ND, etc. I would guess that UIC's total market share is significantly less than NDSU's. The benefit of a school like UIC is not in TV's reached or market share, it's in recruiting. It's easier to convince a Chicago player to come to UNI if he (or she) knows that he will play a game near home every other year and that there is a chance his games will be on TV locally. Better recruiting helps lead to better teams and better teams leads to on-court success which leads to national notoriety and greater market share.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

FargoBison wrote:If the Summit collapses NDSU has other options.

What other options are there? WAC could take in Omaha, it would add another market for them and help bridge the gap to Chi State and UMKC.
FargoBison
Level2
Level2

Post by FargoBison »

SDHornet wrote:
FargoBison wrote:If the Summit collapses NDSU has other options.

What other options are there? WAC could take in Omaha, it would add another market for them and help bridge the gap to Chi State and UMKC.
The Big Sky.

NDSU will never join the WAC and be in a conference with a diploma mill.
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

Mass-Lowell to the AEC from D-II
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

FargoBison wrote:
SDHornet wrote: What other options are there? WAC could take in Omaha, it would add another market for them and help bridge the gap to Chi State and UMKC.
The Big Sky.

NDSU will never join the WAC and be in a conference with a diploma mill.
What does NDSU bring to the table that the BSC doesn't already have with UND?