D-I break down of what could happen the next 3 years

All other college sports!
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: D-I break down of what could happen the next 3 years

Post by clenz »

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
clenz wrote:And....what have I been saying all along but you fucks didnt want to listen

Sent from the nexus of the universe
Shit I did, I switched Belmont to my projections right after you said, plus my WSU guys on the CSN board. Then I over thought it and switched to ORU for a few days, now back to Belmont.

So Clenz, who do you have Denver or Belmont?
I'll go Belmont...STRICTLY because Denver doesn't have many of the MVC sports, and their AD said they don't want to add sports. The only sports the bring is mens and womens BB, I believe.

If Denver is willing to add baseball, volleyball, and some mix of soccer/track and field/tennis/golf they'd be a lock.

Right now I'll go

1. Belmont
2. Denver
3. Murray State/ORU
4. Valpo
5. UW-Mil - a distant 5

Will be interesting to see if we stay at 10 or try 12. The MVC LOVES 10...I mean LOVES 10.

However, adding three of the Belmont/Denver/MSU/ORU/Valpo and going to 2 divisions with 10 game round robin plus cross over games is very intriguing.

I've been, and anyone that knows anything about the MVC, have been saying from the start the football schools are going to have too (and will willingly) take a back seat too keep the MVC what it is. The MVC and MVFC are 2 different conferences that just happen to share a name - but didn't prior to 2008, it was the Gateway before that.

I don't know why NDSU/SDSU/etc... can't understand that.

You're basketball programs aren't at the level of the MVC....period.
You're not basketball schools. You would sacrifice (and have) basketball in the name of football.
You're not private.

It's clear those speculating the MVC don't know a thing about the MVC.
EPJr
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: VCU/A-10
A.K.A.: BigE

Post by EPJr »

BE Football schools need new name for conference;
the frontrunner is:

clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Sounds as though Denver is now out of the equation.....

I'm going to alter my list slightly, due to an omission earlier....this is a combination of who I want to see and who i think will happen

1. Belmont - really seems to be a lock at this point, multiple sources are saying it to be the case.
2. Murray State - their fan board didn't seem excited about the travel to to the MVC, don't know about their admin.
3a. Valpo - seems to be thrown out more and more?
3b. Detriot - Likely more popular with fans than Valpo
3C. ORU - Not really popular, but would work
6. UW-M - More attractive than the Dakota's - nothing on the above mentioned though

Of course if Dayton can be sweet talked...then move everyone down a spot.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

clenz wrote:Sounds as though Denver is now out of the equation.....

I'm going to alter my list slightly, due to an omission earlier....this is a combination of who I want to see and who i think will happen

1. Belmont - really seems to be a lock at this point, multiple sources are saying it to be the case.
2. Murray State - their fan board didn't seem excited about the travel to to the MVC, don't know about their admin.
6. UW-M - More attractive than the Dakota's - nothing on the above mentioned though

Belmont - NAIA school 12 years ago - growing rapidly now that they have decoupled from the Southern Baptist Convention - big city, but really stretches the footprint.

Murray State - consistantly good, basketball crazy. Pain in the ass to get too. Where to put football?

Valpo - what have they done post Drew?

Detroit/ORU/UMW - don't see the attraction.
:thumb:
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

dbackjon wrote:

Belmont - NAIA school 12 years ago - growing rapidly now that they have decoupled from the Southern Baptist Convention - big city, but really stretches the footprint.

Murray State - consistantly good, basketball crazy. Pain in the ass to get too. Where to put football?

1. Belmont is 23-6 this year, 26-7 last year, 30-4 2 years ago, 19-12, 19-12, 24-9, 22-9, 20-10, 14-16, and 20-10 going back to the 03-04 season. Now, they haven't played the quality conference that they will have in the MVC but they have shown they can be very good and very consistent. The footprint does stretch, but for a private, basketball, school that is okay. Still closer to every MVC school than NDSU except for UNI/Drake (taking Creighton out of the picture). Less than 4/5 hours by car for almost every eastern MVC school.

2. Football may be a hold up, but I'd bet the OVC would keep them for football - as the MVC doesn't have football. The MVFC has zero interest in more schools right now. Football doesn't matter to the MVC. By pain in the ass to get too you mean within a couple hours of almost half of the MVC, and closer than Belmont? It's literally 15 miles from Evansville campus to Murray States campus.....just across the river/boarder. Not any harder to get to than Evanvsville...good try though. If football does become a concern don't be shocked to see YSU *encouraged* to find a new home and replaced with MSU. Though the travel costs of going to NDSU, SDSU, and USD may keep them from moving to the MVFC - there's that damn Dakota's are a long fucking way away problem again.

3. Valpo is 24-7 this year with a top 60 RPI, playing in the conference title game this year. 20-11 last year with post season, 22-11 with post season, 19-12 as well. They struggeled right after the Bryce Drew player years. However, the last 3 years have been very good for Valpo, and looks like it's going to continue that way with Bryce Drew as HC. Well within the footprint as they are less than an hour east of Chicago...and to be honest with where Chicago really ends they are less than a half hour outside.

The other 3 I don't see much of it either. UW-M is right in the footprint and that's about it...but it's a basketball school that the conference doesn't have to worry about where it's loyalties within the AD lay.

Detroit gets a lot more love from other MVC fans than I give them. The love is coming from somewhere, I don't know where though.

ORU gives us a southern partner for WSU, and is a solid program. The religion piece doesn't bother the MVC...the extreme part of it may.

It really sounds like it's Belmont at this point though.

I'll also add the opinion of NAU fans that live in Phoenix are taken very seriously by commissioner Elgin though. ;)
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

It will also be interesting to see if the MVC stays at 10, which it is on record as saying it loves...OR...if 3 are added...

Could see Belmont, Murray State, and maybe Valpo/ORU which would really balance out the travel issues...
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Evansville to Murray is over two hours away - I think you should actually know where a school is first.
Carbondale is actually closer to Murray than Evansville.

Being that I used to drive by the Belmont campus every day on my way to work, and my ex went to Murray, so I have spent far too much time in Murray, I do probably know a hell of a lot more about both schools than you, or basically anyone else on any MVC message board, thank you very much.
:thumb:
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: poontang
A.K.A.: Rainman

Post by Fresno St. Alum »

dbackjon wrote:

If they win Tues. they'll be going to the tourney again w/ Bryce not Homer. Valpo should be the 1 or 2 school in the HL now that Butler is gone, most years, that's why I hope the A10 takes them.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

What happened there?
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

SDHornet wrote:
What happened there?
Not sure...just a tweet from their beat guy saying they were staying with the summit next year

If bet it is a combo of not wanting a new conference again, them not wanting to add more sports (they offered only bb that the mvc did I believe), and the mvc not willing to help with the travel costs like they wanted

The last one is made up by me but the first two are likely very real

Bison Fan in NW MN
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU
A.K.A.: bisoninnwmn

Post by Bison Fan in NW MN »

clenz wrote:
SDHornet wrote: What happened there?
Not sure...just a tweet from their beat guy saying they were staying with the summit next year

If bet it is a combo of not wanting a new conference again, them not wanting to add more sports (they offered only bb that the mvc did I believe), and the mvc not willing to help with the travel costs like they wanted

Would the MVC ever consider NDSU when they get their new BB arena finished? The prelim pictures look real nice.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Bison Fan in NW MN wrote:
clenz wrote: Not sure...just a tweet from their beat guy saying they were staying with the summit next year

Would the MVC ever consider NDSU when they get their new BB arena finished? The prelim pictures look real nice.
Longer answer....likely not before my daughter gets to college

Short answer - no
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

On the MVC end I heard that it's safer to take Belmont over tapping into the Summit b/c if the Summit gets picked apart that would force NDSU and SDSU to apply to the Big Sky thus hurting the MVFC. Summit has to worry about the Horizon and maybe the WAC, no need to take another to cause panic.
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

BCS sounds like they'll give less money to conf. w/o a conf title game and not having at least 12 members.

SBC will need 5. Big 12 will need 2 not that they'd have to since they already make $$$

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20 ... ck_check=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

Word is that George Mason to the A10 will be announced tomorrow.
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

danefan wrote:Word is that George Mason to the A10 will be announced tomorrow.
I saw the tweet about it. So why just them, who they gonna get for 14? Siena? Davidson? Plus the BE will eventually go to 12, they said as much after announcing who the 10 were, there's no timetable for 12 though. Rumor is they're just deciding between Dayton and Richmond for 12, w/ St.Louis as 11.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

I hope they go Richmondleaving the mvc Dayton

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

App St. and Ga Southern to SBC in 2015

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... n-sun-belt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

Idaho and NMSU get fb only in the SBC. Looks like the Big Sky could still use another fb member to help w/ travel.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Fresno St. Alum wrote:Idaho and NMSU get fb only in the SBC. Looks like the Big Sky could still use another fb member to help w/ travel.
Idaho. :ohno:
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Rumors starting to fly that oru passed up a mvc invite....though that seems to have been debunked by some.

Also rumours of NMSU coming back to the mvc for non football sports...that has been rumored before when this all started.

Wouldn't bet on that though

clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Now it sounds as though ORU and the MVC are in preliminary talks.

Commissioner Elgin had a teleconference last week and said that the conference wants to be at 10, but is okay with playing at 9 next year if the right fit isn't there. Decision will be made by June 30

Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

clenz wrote:Now it sounds as though ORU and the MVC are in preliminary talks.

Commissioner Elgin had a teleconference last week and said that the conference wants to be at 10, but is okay with playing at 9 next year if the right fit isn't there. Decision will be made by June 30

So the original guess of ORU (biggest arena, closest) is who they'll get.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

It really sounded like Belmont would be it, but ORU was always an option..though not always a popular one

Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

JMU expected to accept SBC invite

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... -c-usa-jmu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;