All other college sports!
griz37
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: unwrittengriz

Manti Te'o is a liar

Post by griz37 »

His girlfriend didn't die of Leukemia, she never existed. Either he is incredibly stupid & got duped, he did it for the publicity or he is secretly gay & used this fictitious gf as a cover.

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos- ... -is-a-hoax
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Re: Manti Te'o is a liar

Post by dal4018 »

griz37 wrote:His girlfriend didn't die of Leukemia, she never existed. Either he is incredibly stupid & got duped, he did it for the publicity or he is secretly gay & used this fictitious gf as a cover.

Well let's wait until all the evidence is in.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

Anybody watch the show or movie Catfish?

This shit happens all the time. I feel bad for the kid. I'm sure he got caught up and really believed he was in love with this person who turned out to be fictitious.

What I do question through is the apparently Notre Dame knew about this before the National Championship game. They could have at least told Musberger to tone down the story telling and focus more on the real chicks in the crowd.
Franks Tanks
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Lafayette College
A.K.A.: Big Sexy

Post by Franks Tanks »

dal4018 wrote:
griz37 wrote:His girlfriend didn't die of Leukemia, she never existed. Either he is incredibly stupid & got duped, he did it for the publicity or he is secretly gay & used this fictitious gf as a cover.

Well let's wait until all the evidence is in.
It is confirmed that his "girlfriend" never existed.

Multiple reports state that Te'o MET this girl after ND's game vs. Stanford in 2009, and they spoke via social media and the phone. Perhaps he was fibbing about actually meeting her because he was too embarrassed to admit he never met the woman he called his girlfriend, or he is really dumb.

I do still think it is possible that he was duped, but he continued to keep it under wraps once he allegedly "learned" the truth. So even if he was duped he did not come clean about it, and continued to let media members speak about a false story.
Franks Tanks
Level2
Level2

Post by Franks Tanks »

danefan wrote:Anybody watch the show or movie Catfish?

This **** happens all the time. I feel bad for the kid. I'm sure he got caught up and really believed he was in love with this person who turned out to be fictitious.
What I do question through is the apparently Notre Dame knew about this before the National Championship game. They could have at least told Musberger to tone down the story telling and focus more on the real chicks in the crowd.
No doubt, but it has been reported several times that Te'o met her in person after the Stanford game and they exchanged numbers. As I said above perhaps he did really meet her online and never actualy met, but did not want to admit this to the media. If that is true he at the very least lied about meeting the girl and decided to keep the myth going for far too long after he knew the gig was up.

So weird.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

Franks Tanks wrote:
danefan wrote:Anybody watch the show or movie Catfish?

This **** happens all the time. I feel bad for the kid. I'm sure he got caught up and really believed he was in love with this person who turned out to be fictitious.
No doubt, but it has been reported several times that Te'o met her in person after the Stanford game and they exchanged numbers. As I said above perhaps he did really meet her online and never actualy met, but did not want to admit this to the media. If that is true he at the very least lied about meeting the girl and decided to keep the myth going for far too long after he knew the gig was up.

So weird.
Did he actually say that or did someone else say that? In the WSJ article this morning on this they said his dad was the only actually quoted as saying Manti met the woman in person. I never really followed the story in the first place so I would have no clue.

It is extremely weird though - I agree. If you haven't watched Catfish on MTV I recomend it. It really is a good show. These guys work to uncover whether someone's online girl/boyfriend is real or is lying. I haven't seen one yet that was real and the stories are so elaborate it makes your head spin.
Franks Tanks
Level2
Level2

Post by Franks Tanks »

danefan wrote:
Franks Tanks wrote:

So weird.
Did he actually say that or did someone else say that? In the WSJ article this morning on this they said his dad was the only actually quoted as saying Manti met the woman in person. I never really followed the story in the first place so I would have no clue.

It is extremely weird though - I agree. If you haven't watched Catfish on MTV I recomend it. It really is a good show. These guys work to uncover whether someone's online girl/boyfriend is real or is lying. I haven't seen one yet that was real and the stories are so elaborate it makes your head spin.
I don't know. There is an article in the South Bend tribune that has the detailed account of how they met. I do not believe the source is attributed, but most would've assumed it was Manti himself. I believe the author of the article has been asked who told him the Stanford story, but has not responded. It is possible that Manti did not give this account of their first meeting directly to the reporter, but it got out there somehow.

I have seen Catfish once or twice, and people really do go to extreme lengths to maintain these false online personas. The one I saw a teenage girl was pretending to be a 20 something year old man who was a model (the model was a real person-he was the brother of a friend or something of that nature) and kept the thing going for a long time. The person who fell for the ruse was a normal person. A pretty girl with an education, who could easily find a real boyfriend. I do agree that perfectly normal people can fall for these traps so I am willing to give Te'o the benefit of the doubt for now, but it does seem a bit fishy.
Last edited by Franks Tanks on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

Dude has gone from a top 10 pick to a 3-4th rounder in just a few weeks. Sad.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

It would be easier to believe he had been duped if there wasn't so many conflicting stories coming from Te'o and his family...

And danefan, you do know Catfish is 100% fake, right?

Yes, people use fake on-line personas, but this would be up there in effort if Te'o never had a clue
:thumb:
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

Why on earth would a major college football star have a fake girlfriend? Seriously. I was an offensive lineman at Towson State, and I got my fair share.
Franks Tanks
Level2
Level2

Post by Franks Tanks »

andy7171 wrote:Why on earth would a major college football star have a fake girlfriend? Seriously. I was an offensive lineman at Towson State, and I got my fair share.
Some are making assumptions that he is in the closet, and was using it as a explanation of why he didn't hook up with girls @ND. People have said that he rarely goes out and is sort of socially awkward, but they may just be stating that after the fact to rationalize.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

dbackjon wrote:It would be easier to believe he had been duped if there wasn't so many conflicting stories coming from Te'o and his family...

And danefan, you do know Catfish is 100% fake, right?

Yes, people use fake on-line personas, but this would be up there in effort if Te'o never had a clue
Catfish the documentary has never been proven to be fake as far as I know.

And I've never heard anyone say the TV show is fake.
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

Notre Dame would have been better off just releasing the statement last night versus the AD's press conference.

Several media outlets last night & this morning are picking apart all the inconsistencies of this story.

A story for the ages.. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
Make Delaware Football Great Again
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

He may not have been involved, but right now I don't believe that right now.

This seems like a huge publicity stunt gone wrong by Notre Dame to get more coverage for their team and Te'o. Now that the to got blown off they are on full cover up mode, which has lead to so many inconsistencies.

Maybe I'm wrong, but....

Sent from the nexus of the universe
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

Anybody wonder what Manti Te'o majored in at Notre Dame?

Creative Writing?
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

This falls in the category of who gives a fuck for me. :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Franks Tanks wrote:
andy7171 wrote:Why on earth would a major college football star have a fake girlfriend? Seriously. I was an offensive lineman at Towson State, and I got my fair share.
Some are making assumptions that he is in the closet, and was using it as a explanation of why he didn't hook up with girls @ND. People have said that he rarely goes out and is sort of socially awkward, but they may just be stating that after the fact to rationalize.
I think he's also mormon...not that that means anything but it might explain his awkwardness and secrecy.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

89Hen wrote:This falls in the category of who gives a fuck for me. :coffee:
And why is that?
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack

Post by grizzaholic »

kalm wrote:
Franks Tanks wrote:
I think he's also mormon...not that that means anything but it might explain his awkwardness and secrecy.
HUH? Mormons being secret? I see them pounding on people's doors all the time.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack

Post by grizzaholic »

Grizalltheway wrote:
And why is that?
I love a good scandal.

Justin Halpern
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Grizalltheway wrote:
And why is that?
Because I don't give a fuck. Soap opera. :coffee:
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

Anybody listen to the new Jay Mohr show? He just called this girlfriend Snuffalupagus. LOL
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

grizzaholic wrote:
kalm wrote:
HUH? Mormons being secret? I see them pounding on people's doors all the time.
They're not trying to talk to you about girls...and sex.
tampajag
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: whooties
A.K.A.: hamburger pimp

Post by tampajag »

kalm
Supporter
Supporter