Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Re: Sun Belt Thread 2017

Post by Pwns »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
Pwns wrote:Obviously Tennessee is not quite as good as advertised, but UGA and Texas A&M look like they could pick up the slack.

UGA, lol.

Down 38-0 to Ole Miss... barely second half.
And LoL at the idea of Tennessee winning the east, too...
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

CAA Flagship wrote:So what is the story with GSU? Is this the transition hurdle that most teams seem to go through? (Appy, WKU, etc.)
Is it coaching? Are you redshirting a lot of Freshmen?
Our offensive coaches do not know how to run the offense they are running. We basically hired a Division II air raid coach and a high school running spread coach to coach the offense.

Our head coach apparently thinks it's more important that defensive players learn to hit than learn to tackle.

Basically, we stupidly hired a defensive head coach instead of Jamey Chadwell.

WMU is one of the top 10 teams in the Group of 5, but we still should've beaten them.
Celebrate Diversity.*
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Pwns wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:So what is the story with GSU? Is this the transition hurdle that most teams seem to go through? (Appy, WKU, etc.)
Is it coaching? Are you redshirting a lot of Freshmen?
Our offensive coaches do not know how to run the offense they are running. We basically hired a Division II air raid coach and a high school running spread coach to coach the offense.

Our head coach apparently thinks it's more important that defensive players learn to hit than learn to tackle.

Basically, we stupidly hired a defensive coach instead of Jamey Chadwell.

WMU is one of the top 10 teams in the Group of 5, but we still should've beaten them.
See my edit.
For some reason, I was thinking you were something like 1-3 at this point. 3-1 with that schedule is fine.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

2-2, about what I expected, heading into conference play. Glad App got by Akron on the road, they can score quickly.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

CAA Flagship wrote:Delete

I had asked about what's wrong with GSU. Apparently nothing. I got my GSU's mixed up. :lol:
Say what???? :? :tothehand:

:mrgreen:
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

Ivytalk wrote:Not a happy trip to the Wolverine State for GSU. :ohno:
A pick 6, a KO return for a TD, a fumble inside the 20, and 4 turnovers in total pretty much sunk our ship.

However, we actually showed improvement. Reduced our penalties by 3/4, went back to a silent cadence, and the team showed serious fight. It's going to take time for this brand new coach and coaching staff to steady their feet. Unfortunately, a large portion of our fanbase doesn't have much patience.
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

I'm trying to see which generation of iphone ASN is using to cast this game. First half wasn't horrible, but I'm pretty sure it's first gen for second half. :ohno:
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

....and we get to hear about how we scored during the break because we were watching some stupid commercial.

Looks like iphone gen2 guy's phone charged during the 3rd so we're back to whatever is less than 720p picture for the 4th quarter. 8-)
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Were you watching it on tv or streaming? Was streaming of espn3 and the picture was fine. Announcers are awful, though.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

Well, a win is a win I guess.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Pwns wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:

UGA, lol.

Down 38-0 to Ole Miss... barely second half.
:D

UGA needs em to lose 3 SEC games now. :coffee:
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

South Alabama, a team we beat rather easily the week after they beat Mississippi State, just knocked off a Top-25 team. :?

This footballs thing is a strange game. :suspicious:
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
Pwns wrote:
:D

UGA needs em to lose 3 SEC games now. :coffee:
Turned off the Florida-Tennessee game entirely too early. :lol:

BTW, the Slum Belch is rated higher as a conference than CUSA and their media market trash heap (which BTW doesn't include ODU, who will probably make a bowl). :thumb:
Celebrate Diversity.*
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Po' Jawja Suthun.

I'd almost feel sorry for them - except they avoided playing Arkansas State since moving to the conference.

- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Not only did GSU fail to take advantage of 5 Ark State turnovers, they let Ark State run up almost 350 yards on the ground against them. WTF? :suspicious:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ivytalk wrote:Not only did GSU fail to take advantage of 5 Ark State turnovers, they let Ark State run up almost 350 yards on the ground against them. WTF? :suspicious:
I watched the first quarter. Sloppiest football I've seen in years, by both teams.

Also, I'm not gay, but I couldn't help noticing that GSU's starting RB is packing a howitzer. :lol: When they did slow mo of his first TD run, I had to look away. It was like those pictures where they throw something creepy in a window and when you notice it you jump.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

I can't find the spread for App @ BYE. Isn't that the Mormon university?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:Not only did GSU fail to take advantage of 5 Ark State turnovers, they let Ark State run up almost 350 yards on the ground against them. WTF? :suspicious:
I watched the first quarter. Sloppiest football I've seen in years, by both teams.

Also, I'm not gay, but I couldn't help noticing that GSU's starting RB is packing a howitzer. :lol: When they did slow mo of his first TD run, I had to look away. It was like those pictures where they throw something creepy in a window and when you notice it you jump.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Po' Jawja Suthun.

I'd almost feel sorry for them - except they avoided playing Arkansas State since moving to the conference.
We would've massacred Ark State in 2014. Last year maybe. A moot point, though. We didn't lose to them because they are Ark State. We lost because our coaching staff does not know how to run an option offense.

When you have two proven and experienced option QBs, three UDFA-caliber running backs, maybe the best receiver in program history, and multiple all-conference lineman there is no reason to suck on offense.

I'm still trying to figure out why we hired a defensive coach whose been a DC one year instead of Jamey Chadwell.
Celebrate Diversity.*
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

Pwns wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:Po' Jawja Suthun.

We would've massacred Ark State in 2014. Last year maybe. A moot point, though. We didn't lose to them because they are Ark State. We lost because our coaching staff does not know how to run an option offense.

When you have two proven and experienced option QBs, three UDFA-caliber running backs, maybe the best receiver in program history, and multiple all-conference lineman there is no reason to suck on offense.

I'm still trying to figure out why we hired a defensive coach whose been a DC one year instead of Jamey Chadwell.
You guys seem to lack continuity with coaches. What's the story for the turnover in coaching? Is it better offers or little tolerance for less than desired results?
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

93henfan wrote:

Sounds like you're enjoying the 60" 4K. :lol:
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

ASUG8 wrote:
Pwns wrote:

You guys seem to lack continuity with coaches. What's the story for the turnover in coaching? Is it better offers or little tolerance for less than desired results?
Paul Johnson: Nothing we could have done to keep him. Navy gave him 7 figures and we couldn't really give that now, let alone back in 2001.

Mike Sewak: Was fired as much for APR troubles as much as poor on-field performance and a rich booster throwing money at the program to get rid of him.

Brian VanDoucheBag: Left because he got a job and knew he was in over his head. The one good thing he did for us.

Chris Hatcher: Was fired for political reasons by our president, though he probably wouldn't have made it much longer. He just couldn't manage program and had horrible attrition.

Jeff Monken: Couldn't have kept him. Can't match what Army offered.

Willie Fritz: This is the one coach I really wonder about. I'm pretty sure going to a crappy private school that considers 7 wins a good season was not what he was envisioning. I suspect our AD ran him off, he really clashed with Monken as well.

Basically, a series of misteps by our former athletic director and being a coaching pipeline for the service academies.
Celebrate Diversity.*
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

App up 24-0 over Ragin' Cajuns at the half.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

ASUG8 wrote:App up 24-0 over Ragin' Cajuns at the half.
All that was needed. Definitely a pleasure to beat that team and their arrogant fan base. They whined so much about needing to move beyond the Sun Belt when App and Georgia Southern got the invites. I believe that makes App 3-0 versus them, including two in Lafayette. :lol:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Pwns wrote:
ASUG8 wrote:
Paul Johnson: Nothing we could have done to keep him. Navy gave him 7 figures and we couldn't really give that now, let alone back in 2001.

Mike Sewak: Was fired as much for APR troubles as much as poor on-field performance and a rich booster throwing money at the program to get rid of him.

Brian VanDoucheBag: Left because he got a job and knew he was in over his head. The one good thing he did for us.

Chris Hatcher: Was fired for political reasons by our president, though he probably wouldn't have made it much longer. He just couldn't manage program and had horrible attrition.

Jeff Monken: Couldn't have kept him. Can't match what Army offered.

Willie Fritz: This is the one coach I really wonder about. I'm pretty sure going to a crappy private school that considers 7 wins a good season was not what he was envisioning. I suspect our AD ran him off, he really clashed with Monken as well.

Basically, a series of misteps by our former athletic director and being a coaching pipeline for the service academies.
Chadwell would be a perfect fit at GSU. I'm not meaning this as a dig, but Chadwell is not going to do well at a Vanderbilt or a Wake Forest where they are concerned with APR. But at a GSU or a Mizzou or a Baylor he would eat everybody's lunch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris