Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Tennessee HC seach fiasco

Post by BDKJMU »

Well, trying to offer the HC gig to Schiano blew up in their face.. :lol:
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... head-coach
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Re: Tennessee HC seach fiasco

Post by AshevilleApp »

Seaching is tough sometimes.
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

*beach
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

reach?
:thumb:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Heck, 3 weeks ago Houston was mentioned as a posssibilty on Twitter by someone who covers the SEC. Was mostly met by derision by the UT fans that they would stoop to hiring a "Division II" coach.
http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennesse ... er-hc.html
Now mentioned again yesterday with less derision now that Tenn's top several choices have all fallen through, including the Schiano fiasco..
http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennesse ... uston.html
(Of course I realize the chance that Houston is hired by UT as HC is close to zero..)
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

*sneetch

Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Gundy turns them down. Who thinks that Gundy was a better option than Schiano?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote:Gundy turns them down. Who thinks that Gundy was a better option than Schiano?
He's a MAN! He's 50! With a mullet!
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

CAA Flagship wrote:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:thumb:
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Magnificent troll.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Doeren from NC State turned them down today thank goodness. NC native Houston would be one of the top candidates to replace Doeren at NC State...

UT coaching search is becoming comical..Heck another UT Nation thread on Houston popped up. Since virtually every big name has turned them down, its gone from derision to hiring a "Div 2" guy to gung ho for hiring him lol..
http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennesse ... dison.html
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Why? They already have a great guy ready to be an HC in Mike Canales?

SMH....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

The latest in the 3 week fiasco since UT AD John Currie fired Butch Jones on 11/12 : Currie fired..
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 898378001/
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

UNI88 wrote:Gundy turns them down. Who thinks that Gundy was a better option than Schiano?
Seriously? I'd take Gundy and it wouldn't be close.

I mean, Gundy is currently employed as a head coach. With a $5,000,000 salary. Schiano is a coordinator making $700,000. Salary doesn't necessarily mean better coach... but, that is quite a disparity. :lol: Schiano obviously has a way worse record as a head coach - but, I'll concede it was at Rutgers.

Schiano hasn't been a head coach since 2013. If he's such a great coach - why has no one hired him? Don't even have to offer that much to double or triple his current salary. :?
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:

I mean, Gundy is currently employed as a head coach. With a $5,000,000 salary. Schiano is a coordinator making $700,000. Salary doesn't necessarily mean better coach... but, that is quite a disparity. :lol: Schiano obviously has a way worse record as a head coach - but, I'll concede it was at Rutgers.

Schiano hasn't been a head coach since 2013. If he's such a great coach - why has no one hired him? Don't even have to offer that much to double or triple his current salary. :?
I'm not sure it's that cut and dried. Rutgers was a dumpster fire before Schiano so what he did there was close to miraculous. He deserves consideration for a HC job just because of that. What happened at Tampa Bay is a huge cause for concern but he has also taken steps to rebuild his reputation at Ohio State. Gundy has the better record but he inherited a Cowboy program on the rise from Les Miles and took it another step or two up. He didn't build it from scratch? Tennessee in its current state is closer to Rutgers than to Oklahoma State. Gundy also has done some knuckle headed things ("I'm a man!", etc.) that should be a concern, although they might play well with some of Tennessee's fan base. Gundy has also struggled with winning the biggest games and taking the next step. If he can't beat Oklahoma when it matters, how is he going to beat Alabama? I'm also not sure if Gundy thrives outside of Stillwater, it seems to be the perfect fit for him.

Who is going to take the Tennessee job now? If you go through a rough patch is Fulmer going to have your back or is he going to stick the knife in it? Why take over a dumpster fire where you can't trust the AD? Currie was a dead man walking as soon as the populist revolt killed the Schiano deal. He would have been better off taking a principled stand and saying we're hiring Schiano or you can fire me. He would have more respect and a better chance of landing another job.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Again, if Schiano was such a hot commodity - other programs would have pursued him prior to this year. Now any lack of interest can be blamed on Tennessee - but, he wasn't being offered by many programs prior to last Sunday either. He's has a pretty very salary for a coordinator position at an elite P5 school. N o one has been interested. Why?

Hard to say who Tennessee can hire. I think Fulmer has some sympathy for someone like Les Miles. If I had to guess, I'd say that's who he'd go after. No buyout. Could be had for a relatively low salary and Les Miles would certainly be interested. Give him a short term deal and bring in elite coordinators with him - one of them with "head coach in waiting" status. Tee Martin as OC and coach-in-waiting, Kevin Steele or John Chavis as DC.

Or Gruden. :D
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:

I'm not sure it's that cut and dried. Rutgers was a dumpster fire before Schiano so what he did there was close to miraculous. He deserves consideration for a HC job just because of that. What happened at Tampa Bay is a huge cause for concern but he has also taken steps to rebuild his reputation at Ohio State. Gundy has the better record but he inherited a Cowboy program on the rise from Les Miles and took it another step or two up. He didn't build it from scratch? Tennessee in its current state is closer to Rutgers than to Oklahoma State. Gundy also has done some knuckle headed things ("I'm a man!", etc.) that should be a concern, although they might play well with some of Tennessee's fan base. Gundy has also struggled with winning the biggest games and taking the next step. If he can't beat Oklahoma when it matters, how is he going to beat Alabama? I'm also not sure if Gundy thrives outside of Stillwater, it seems to be the perfect fit for him.

Who is going to take the Tennessee job now? If you go through a rough patch is Fulmer going to have your back or is he going to stick the knife in it? Why take over a dumpster fire where you can't trust the AD? Currie was a dead man walking as soon as the populist revolt killed the Schiano deal. He would have been better off taking a principled stand and saying we're hiring Schiano or you can fire me. He would have more respect and a better chance of landing another job.
Yeah, that mullet would be a concern, but that’s probaly a + with the Tenn fan base lol.. :lol:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

The mullet should be a + with any fanbase. It's a beauty.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

dbackjon wrote:reach?
Mike Leach!!!!!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

There are reports that new Tennessee AD Phillip Fulmer (yes, the old Vols coach) is reaching out to former LSU coach Les Miles, as they have similar coaching philosophies (i.e. run first and play defense).

If that's the case, then why doesn't Fulmer just take the job himself?

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: Tennessee HC seach fiasco

Post by UNI88 »

SuperHornet wrote:There are reports that new Tennessee AD Phillip Fulmer (yes, the old Vols coach) is reaching out to former LSU coach Les Miles, as they have similar coaching philosophies (i.e. run first and play defense).

Because if he fails it's on him. If his hired coach fails he just throws him under the bus and hires another one. This can continue until the faithful finally realize that maybe Fulmer himself is at the root of their disfunction.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

SuperHornet wrote:There are reports that new Tennessee AD Phillip Fulmer (yes, the old Vols coach) is reaching out to former LSU coach Les Miles, as they have similar coaching philosophies (i.e. run first and play defense).

Not surprising - as I said above. That seems to be the most logical hire. Get him cheap without having to pay a buyout - spend the money on A+ coordinators.

And, Les has won a title about a decade more recently than Phil. And, Phil has been out of coaching for a decade while Les has been out of coaching for a season.

Also, I have no idea why I'm responding to SuperHornet seriously. :lol:
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote:*sneetch

I imagine you had that smug Dr. Suess face when you typed this...didn't you...
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote:The latest in the 3 week fiasco since UT AD John Currie fired Butch Jones on 11/12 : Currie fired..
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 898378001/
So basically it's the last 4-5 years of Montucky HC/admin drama condensed into a couple of week at Tennessee...comical indeed...