All other college sports!
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Sun Belt 2019 Thread

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: KU almost lost to an FCS team last week. They should stick to basketball.
KU is bad. Like, HBCU bad. But hey, they're a guaranteed win on Texas Tech's schedule every year so I'll take it! :lol: :lol:
And they are P5...
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Ibanez wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
KU is bad. Like, HBCU bad. But hey, they're a guaranteed win on Texas Tech's schedule every year so I'll take it! :lol: :lol:
And they are P5...
I guess Boston College is really bad. :o
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Feels good, man
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

From an article in the Raleigh News and Observer.

It wasn’t merely losing to a Sun Belt team at home; it’s how long the celebration will linger. It didn’t end Saturday night. It’s going to go on for years, resuming as if uninterrupted anywhere there are App State fans and domestic beer in the same place, especially if any North Carolina fans happen to wander into the scene.

:lol:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

AshevilleApp wrote:From an article in the Raleigh News and Observer.

It wasn’t merely losing to a Sun Belt team at home; it’s how long the celebration will linger. It didn’t end Saturday night. It’s going to go on for years, resuming as if uninterrupted anywhere there are App State fans and domestic beer in the same place, especially if any North Carolina fans happen to wander into the scene.

App State is the new ECU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

CID1990 wrote:
AshevilleApp wrote:From an article in the Raleigh News and Observer.

App State is the new ECU

I guess? Love the domestic beer angle, and it is true . I'd imagine the writer went to the UNC School of Journalism.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

AshevilleApp wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
App State is the new ECU

I guess? Love the domestic beer angle, and it is true . I'd imagine the writer went to the UNC School of Journalism.
ECU wanted for years to get respect from the ACC NC teams and even today they don’t get it... in spite of whipping all their asses at one time or another

Some time in the future App State is going to want to move out of the Sun Belt and the ACC might be a decent fit

But UNC, NCSU, Dook and WF will never allow it

So App is just going to have to be content at whipping their asses from time to time OOC

BTW isn’t one of them slated to come to Boone sometime soon? That puts ASU in a slightly higher respect column than ECU but not by a lot

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

I had a colleague 25 years ago at a former law firm who was a WF undergrad. Seems like Appy would beat Wake at least every other year in FB back then. Of course, Wake really sucked at that point.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

CID1990 wrote:

So App is just going to have to be content at whipping their asses from time to time OOC

BTW isn’t one of them slated to come to Boone sometime soon? That puts ASU in a slightly higher respect column than ECU but not by a lot
We already hosted Wake in 2017.

We'll host UNC in 2022. :thumb:
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

We already hosted Wake in 2017.

We'll host UNC in 2022. :thumb:
Beat UNC in Boone and then rest on your laurels because they won’t schedule ASU again until a multi-year cooling off period elapses

I didn’t really count WF since App seemed to always play them every 2-3 years even when App was FCS. It was only natural that they would come to Boone after the move up and stadium expansion
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

CID1990 wrote:
AshevilleApp wrote:
ECU wanted for years to get respect from the ACC NC teams and even today they don’t get it... in spite of whipping all their asses at one time or another

Some time in the future App State is going to want to move out of the Sun Belt and the ACC might be a decent fit

Wake did two seasons ago and beat us by a point. That series should be a yearly thing, as it was for so many years. Carolina comes to Boone in a couple of years as well. It was a 2 for 1 package, and App will play there again.

I agree that we will never be in the ACC. Personally I'm okay with that, hell I was happy in the SoCon. But it will rankle some other folks I'm sure.
Last edited by AshevilleApp on Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:
AshevilleApp wrote:

Hell, they let the Catholics into the ACC. Why not App State? Not sophisticated enough for the conference pedigree? :?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

AshevilleApp wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Wake did two seasons ago and beat us by a point. That series should be a yearly thing, as it was for so many years. Carolina comes to Boone in a couple of years as well. It was a 2 for 1 package, and App will play there again.

I agree that we will never be in the ACC. Personally I'm okay with that, hell I was happy in the SoCon, but it will rankle some other folks I'm sure.
Whatever claim to exclusivity the ACC had went out the window when they added FSU. That was when I cut all emotional ties to the ACC.

Since then, the only good add they have made was VT.

App should never agree to one-offs with any ACC team - they should all be home and home agreements like the UNC one.

Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

App State, still the biggest little college football program going

As the seconds ticked off the clock Saturday afternoon at North Carolina’s Kenan Stadium, Appalachian State Coach Eliah Drinkwitz was focused on one thing: “Our defense getting one last stop, making one more play. I wasn’t thinking about the past at all. The time to talk about that was over.”

Understandably, his quarterback, Zac Thomas, was thinking a little differently. Fifty-five weeks earlier, Thomas had made his first start in college at Penn State and, in front of more than 100,000 people, had led his team to 28 fourth-quarter points and a 38-31 lead with 1:41 left in regulation.

Then he stood and watched helplessly as Penn State quarterback Trace McSorley took his team down the field in less than a minute to tie the score at 38. The Lions went on to win in overtime.

“I was flashing back a little bit to be honest,” Thomas said Monday. “I had a lot of faith in our defense, but I couldn’t help but think how close we’d been and how close we were again.”

The day Thomas and many of his teammates left not-so-Happy Valley heartbroken, Drinkwitz was 484 miles away, helping North Carolina State open the season with a win against James Madison in his role as the Wolfpack’s offensive coordinator.

Now he was Appalachian State’s head coach. He had talked to his players in the days leading up to Saturday’s visit to the Tar Heels about the near miss at Penn State and how confident he was the Mountaineers would get to the finish line this time in a Power Five team’s stadium.

“We talked about it all week,” he said. “But once the game started Saturday, we had to put it behind us and focus on today.”

Appalachian State had led for most of the afternoon, but with 30 seconds left, North Carolina, having closed the gap to 34-31, took over at its 20-yard line. Five plays and 25 seconds later, it was at the Appalachian State 39.

There was irony in the distance: Thomas had driven his team to the Penn State 39 in the final seconds with the score tied only to watch Chandler Staton miss from 56 yards.

“I was thinking maybe we’d get a block,” he said.

They did. Linebacker Akeem Davis-Gaither got a hand on the ball, and it never got close to the goal post. Game over.

“Our seniors deserved this one,” said Thomas, a redshirt junior. “They’d been close against Power Five schools in the past but never got a win. Now they’ve got a win.”

Long before any of the current players arrived on the scenic campus in the North Carolina mountains, Appalachian State pulled off what is arguably the biggest upset in college football history — opening the 2007 season by going to Michigan and stunning the fifth-ranked Wolverines, 34-32. It was the first time a Football Championship Subdivision or Division I-AA team had beaten a ranked major college team. That game has been the subject of an ESPN “30 for 30” documentary and a book, “Appalachian State Silences the Big House.”

Back then, Appalachian was the team in the FCS. It had won back-to-back national titles and would go on to win a third at the end of the 2007 season under Coach Jerry Moore. It was the biggest little college football program going.

The Mountaineers made postseason play 18 times during Moore’s 24-year tenure, but with the school planning to move up to the Football Bowl Subdivision, Moore was pushed out after the 2012 season and replaced by Scott Satterfield, who played quarterback for him in the 1990s.

Since becoming eligible for FBS postseason play in 2015, Appalachian State has won or tied for the past three Sun Belt Conference titles and won four straight bowl games. That success got Satterfield the Louisville job in December.

Enter Drinkwitz.

His first job as a college coach was as a quality control coach at Auburn in 2010. The Tigers went 14-0 that season and won the national championship.

“Two additions to the team that year,” Drinkwitz said with a laugh. “There was Eliah Drinkwitz and, oh, Cam Newton. Clearly we both impacted the team.”

From there, Drinkwitz embarked on the kind of coaching odyssey most young assistant coaches follow. He spent two years at Arkansas State, two at Boise State and then three at North Carolina State. When Satterfield got the Louisville job, Appalachian State looked to Drinkwitz — only 35 but ready to be a head coach.

“On the one hand, I was taking over a place that had been nothing but successful under Scott,” he said.

“That was a good thing, but it also made the job hard. Scott’s an App State Hall of Famer. His legacy and his record were both incredible. I couldn’t exactly come in there and shake things up. Why would you? They’d just won 11 games, the conference title and a fourth straight bowl game.”

Drinkwitz took a more subtle approach: make some small changes and see whether the program could do something it hadn’t before. That wasn’t a long list. In fact, exactly one thing popped up as an immediate goal: Beat a Power Five school as an FBS member. The Mountaineers had played games at Tennessee, against Miami and at Georgia in addition to at Penn State. They also had lost, 20-19, at home to Wake Forest.

There were two games against Power Five schools on this year’s schedule: at North Carolina in September and at South Carolina in November.

“We went to Chapel Hill believing we were going to win because we were going to be the better team that day,” Drinkwitz said. “When we got down 7-0 right away, that belief was important.”

So was Thomas, a baby-faced, small-town kid from Trussville, Ala. In the games he has started and finished (he went out injured after one series in a loss last season to Georgia Southern), the Mountaineers are 14-1.

“I call him the silent assassin,” Drinkwitz said. “Sometimes you’re talking to him and he’s just looking at you blankly. Except he’s not. He gets it all. He’s quiet but knows just what he’s doing out there.”

Now 3-0 — and 44-11 since the start of 2015 — Appalachian opens conference play Saturday against a Coastal Carolina team that’s 3-1, including a win at Kansas. Drinkwitz’s not concerned about a letdown because he knows his players believe they still have a lot more to do.

“Honestly, we understand we have to go 1-0 every Saturday,” Thomas said. “But we’d like to get to a New Year’s Six bowl game.”

That would require going undefeated — and some help. When one of the seniors brought it up as a possible goal before the season, Drinkwitz refused to put it on the list.

“You talk about something like that too much, it adds pressure,” he said. “But I told them I would hold them to that standard every day.”

One goal — a Power Five win — has been met. Others loom, including the date in Columbia. For the biggest little college football program going, there’s still a lot to be done.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/c ... utType=amp
Last edited by Skjellyfetti on Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

Nice article!
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Some individual players have given me nightmares for weeks after a game... Jayson Foster, Sczczcur are a couple. Never a punter. La La's was damn close.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

Close game with Louisiana Lafayette last night. Pretty classic old school App football on the final scoring drive. The record against ULL is now 7-0. Very nice!
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AshevilleApp wrote:Close game with Louisiana Lafayette last night. Pretty classic old school App football on the final scoring drive. The record against ULL is now 7-0. Very nice!
What was up with those Appy State uniforms? Did not like them at all.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

UNI88 wrote:
AshevilleApp wrote:Close game with Louisiana Lafayette last night. Pretty classic old school App football on the final scoring drive. The record against ULL is now 7-0. Very nice!
What was up with those Appy State uniforms? Did not like them at all.
I guess I've seen worse, but the helmets were pretty bad. I prefer the black uniforms and black helmets version.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Yeah I didn’t like them either. They looked like old skool UTC

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Just watched my first Sunbelt action since GSU and App St moved up, a couple weeks ago. Caught a couple minutes of the GSU game at Minnesota. Did about the same as South Dakota State against the Golden Road Kill.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

App winning against Louisiana-Monroe yesterday is the first time a Sun Belt team has won the week after being ranked. :?

App is also Bowl eligible again.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Up to #21 in the AP Poll. :clap:
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Hey Jelly can you give us a graph of posts in the Sunbelt threads by year?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Six years after bolting the Southern Conference for something bigger, that goal is finally coming into focus. It’s not just about the Sun Belt championship now. The Cotton Bowl is in play.

When the school first announced its intentions to leave the SoCon and the old Division I-AA, which it had dominated to a point of saturation, a lot of skeptics wondered just what the next step would look like.

And after the Power Five conferences stiff-armed the newcomers such as App State and Boise State, Central Florida and SMU, to monopolize power and money, it seemed to close the door on the upstart programs from ever realizing the full potential of Football Bowl Subdivision status.

So since 2014, when App State went out on its own and the Power Five conferences made the move toward autonomy, the question was whether they’d already peaked. “Is this it?”

It was, in fact, at the time. But not now.

The College Football Playoff structure has created a championship game among FBS power schools, and the CFP threw the outsiders a bone, creating a second tier of leagues now known as the Group of Five made up of the Sun Belt Conference, Conference USA, Mountain West, American Athletic and Mid-American Conference.

The selection process is simple. The highest-ranked school in the College Football Playoff rankings from the Group of Five leagues will be invited to the Cotton Bowl if that school is not in the playoff. The Chick-fil-A Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl will rotate that at-large bid on a regular basis.

So the future for Appalachian State football has a new ceiling: a New Year’s Six bowl game.

“We’re looking for App to be in the Cotton Bowl,” said Kathy Keene, the deputy commissioner of the Sun Belt. “We don’t control what happens. Right now, with App being ranked, it’s a real possibility.”

While the Sun Belt champion would automatically go to the New Orleans Bowl under normal circumstances, an undefeated Appalachian State just might end up as the highest ranked Group of Five school.

“We know that’s a possibility,” Gillin said. “Right now though, we’re trying to focus on what’s in front of us, trying to control what we can control. We don’t want to get too far ahead of ourselves.”

The first playoff rankings will be released Nov. 5, and the final rankings and bowl selections will be announced Dec. 8, after the conference championships.

So while App State will be keeping a close eye on the Sun Belt standings with the Georgia and Louisiana schools trying to steal a New Orleans Bowl bid, they’ll also begin to watch schools such as SMU (No. 16 AP, No. 17 coaches), Cincinnati (No. 18 both), Boise State (No. 22, No. 21), Memphis (No. 25 coaches), Navy and a number of schools from the other Group of Five leagues that are either ranked or are getting votes in the AP and coaches polls.

Appalachian State likely would need to win at South Carolina on Nov. 9. If App State loses that game, the Cotton Bowl dream would all but die in Williams-Brice Stadium.

But a win in that game would go a long way toward convincing the committee to move App State ahead of all of the other Group of Five schools, considering the win at North Carolina and the anticipated run to an undefeated season.

So the nagging question about Appalachian State football in recent years – "Is this it?" – is moot now.

There’s another level, and it includes a league beyond the Sun Belt.

And down the road, this situation will also bring the next question into focus. If an undefeated Appalachian State doesn’t get the Cotton Bowl bid this year, then just what will it take to get it in future years?

That’s a harder answer, but it likely involves getting out of the Sun Belt and either joining another league or forming a new league of regional schools. We’ve proposed it here before. It would involve convincing East Carolina and Charlotte and Coastal Carolina and Georgia State and Georgia Southern and maybe Army and Navy and a few others, basically forming a strengthened version of the old Southern Conference.

Wouldn’t that be ironic?

“We’re looking at the map,” Gillin said. “We want to be the best Sun Belt partner we can be.”

Travel expenses, however, are real. And so are perceptions.

Appalachian State has work to do either way, so the future is interesting if nothing else. But this could end up being the ultimate test for App State remaining in the Sun Belt long-term. If indeed the Mountaineers go undefeated and still remain behind schools from the perceived stronger Mountain West, C-USA and American Athletic, it would be time to rethink everything.

Breathe deep, Appalachian. The fun is just getting started.
https://www.greensboro.com/sports/colle ... ssion=true
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)