California vs. the NCAA

All other college sports!
bonarae
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Harvard, ETSU, St. Thomas

California vs. the NCAA

Post by bonarae »

It has been discussed in detail on AGS, but why not here? :?

Gov. Newsom just signed the bill into law. What will the impact be for the NCAA as well as the California universities?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -protests/
Top two wishes of Ivy football fans everywhere: Playoff participation by the Ivy champion and the diversification of opponents in scheduling games.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: California vs. the NCAA

Post by CID1990 »

I think it will hasten what is eventually going to happen anyway - we will have two different collegiate sporting associations...

One for actual student athletes, and another for university-sponsored professional athletes

It will be good for everybody. No more P5 influence on the NCAA. The football money arms race will cool. 18 year olds not yet mature enough to play in the NFL but without a desire to go to college will have their opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

It doesn’t take effect for an couple years, which will allow time to negotiate. No one knows now what will happen, and to declare how things go now is pure speculation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

So, a player can now get paid for giving lessons. And probably creating a "camp". It will be interesting to see if they take place on their college campus. Seems like, without proper payment for use of the facilities, that would just be more compensation from school to athlete.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Can player unions be far behind ? As a libertarian, I don’t think this is wrong. I just question what kind of practical impact it will have. How valuable are the NIL rights of an OL player at Cal Berkeley?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Ivytalk wrote:Can player unions be far behind ? As a libertarian, I don’t think this is wrong. I just question what kind of practical impact it will have. How valuable are the NIL rights of an OL player at Cal Berkeley?
Fate of the Union: How Northwestern football union nearly came to be
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I just heard on the UOP fan board that SDSU is leaning toward siding with the NCAA. That will likely lead to years of lawsuits because the school "isn't following state law." On the side of the schools favoring the NCAA's position, though, is the theory that the law merely ALLOWS schools to allow this blatant professionalism; it doesn't MANDATE it. That COULD end up being the schools' out, though it would likely take the courts to figure that out....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote:I think it will hasten what is eventually going to happen anyway - we will have two different collegiate sporting associations...

One for actual student athletes, and another for university-sponsored professional athletes

It will be good for everybody. No more P5 influence on the NCAA. The football money arms race will cool. 18 year olds not yet mature enough to play in the NFL but without a desire to go to college will have their opportunity.
The "student" athlete hide and seek game has been afoot for decades...
NCAA college graduates that can't properly read or write somehow getting 4 year degrees
if ever there was a charade in plain sight this would be it

in it's absolute heyday the MIAMI Hurricanes in the 90's
There were guys on those rosters that couldn't pass a grade school entry exam (if there were such a thing)

:lol:

but they could play football !!!
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:I think it will hasten what is eventually going to happen anyway - we will have two different collegiate sporting associations...

The "student" athlete hide and seek game has been afoot for decades...
NCAA college graduates that can't properly read or write somehow getting 4 year degrees
if ever there was a charade in plain sight this would be it

in it's absolute heyday the MIAMI Hurricanes in the 90's
There were guys on those rosters that couldn't pass a grade school entry exam (if there were such a thing)

:lol:

but they could play football !!!
There were guys on that Hurricanes team who couldn't point in the general direction of Miami on a map of the USA.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

I have to read the details of this new law but I love that it got the NCAA is up in arms about it. I have no problem with athletes profiting off of their "likeness".

Also heard there are a handful of other states getting similar legislation going. So basically the NCAA needs to evolve on this issue.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Dan Wetzel of Yahoo! sports had a good column on it:
This doesn’t mean schools will start “paying the players.” It means that a player will be allowed to pick up endorsements, sponsorships or employment based on competing for the school.

That can mean everything from a likely No. 1 NBA draft pick grabbing a Nike deal, to the star quarterback getting a state-wide television commercial, to a national champion wrestler signing autographs at a local car dealership, to a softball player going back to her hometown and starting a summer camp training kids.

What it doesn’t mean is the destruction of college athletics, like so many critics are howling.

We went through this in the 1980s when the International Olympic Committee got rid of its “amateurism” rules.
https://sports.yahoo.com/why-ncaa-shoul ... 14957.html
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

SDHornet wrote:Dan Wetzel of Yahoo! sports had a good column on it:
This doesn’t mean schools will start “paying the players.” It means that a player will be allowed to pick up endorsements, sponsorships or employment based on competing for the school.

That can mean everything from a likely No. 1 NBA draft pick grabbing a Nike deal, to the star quarterback getting a state-wide television commercial, to a national champion wrestler signing autographs at a local car dealership, to a softball player going back to her hometown and starting a summer camp training kids.

What it doesn’t mean is the destruction of college athletics, like so many critics are howling.

We went through this in the 1980s when the International Olympic Committee got rid of its “amateurism” rules.
He's looking at this from a limited number of angles.
Let's take a peak at it from an angle that this board often views things from:

Let's say there is a 3/4-star recruit that is being wooed by Texas for football. He is feeling good about it but knows that he won't play for 3 years, and his chances of playing as a redshirt-junior is slim. He'll have to work really hard to get on the field. The smart move is to take the offer from Southern Mississippi where he'll have a better chance of playing much sooner. But he can leverage his roster spot at Texas and make more money by giving lessons and other stuff, because he is a Texas Longhorn.

The bottom line is that the idea of a crowded roster at a top program will be less of a deterrent. Maybe not by much, but still less.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Great column. And that is exactly what the point is. If my kid wants to run cross-country, and the National Championship NAU cross-country team is running a camp, and I pay $500 bucks for him to attend, of course the student athletes should get a cut.

If I am opening a sports bar, and I want the local star basketball player to be there to greet guests, I should be able to pay him $5K for that.
:thumb:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

dbackjon wrote: If I am opening a sports bar, and I want the local star basketball player to be there to greet guests, I should be able to pay him $5K for that.
The benchwarmer at Kentucky will make more than the returning Sun Belt POY.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

dbackjon wrote:If I am opening a sports bar, and I want the local star basketball player to be there to greet guests, I should be able to pay him $5K for that.
I don't have enough interest or attention span to read the link that started this thread, but reading this by itself, I couldn't disagree more. It's simply a back door for boosters paying players.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Former Ohio St player/now OH conk Congressman, has proposed a fed ‘Pay to Play’ act.
https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/congre ... 41247.html
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

dbackjon wrote:

Great column. And that is exactly what the point is. If my kid wants to run cross-country, and the National Championship NAU cross-country team is running a camp, and I pay $500 bucks for him to attend, of course the student athletes should get a cut.

If I am opening a sports bar, and I want the local star basketball player to be there to greet guests, I should be able to pay him $5K for that.
:nod:

Another follow up from Wetzel pointing out the hypocrisy of the Big 10 Commish getting a $20M bonus but claiming scholarship athletes getting paid for likeness is a slippery slope.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

89Hen wrote:
dbackjon wrote:If I am opening a sports bar, and I want the local star basketball player to be there to greet guests, I should be able to pay him $5K for that.
I don't have enough interest or attention span to read the link that started this thread, but reading this by itself, I couldn't disagree more. It's simply a back door for boosters paying players.
Good point...

...because that isn't already happening now.

:lol: :dunce:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

SDHornet wrote:
89Hen wrote: I don't have enough interest or attention span to read the link that started this thread, but reading this by itself, I couldn't disagree more. It's simply a back door for boosters paying players.
Good point...

...because that isn't already happening now.

:lol: :dunce:
Not legally dum dum.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

CAA Flagship wrote:
dbackjon wrote: If I am opening a sports bar, and I want the local star basketball player to be there to greet guests, I should be able to pay him $5K for that.
The benchwarmer at Kentucky will make more than the returning Sun Belt POY.
And?

Edit: Saw your longer post before. I don't agree, but this one makes more sense now.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Which they can all do as soon as they leave school. :coffee:
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

89Hen wrote:
Which they can all do as soon as they leave school. :coffee:
How about the NFL and the NBA take a hint from MLB and the NHL and develop a true minor league system? As it is, colleges are forced to play the role and the athlete gains nothing of material value. Particularly with the NBA.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

AshevilleApp wrote:
89Hen wrote: Which they can all do as soon as they leave school. :coffee:
How about the NFL and the NBA take a hint from MLB and the NHL and develop a true minor league system? As it is, colleges are forced to play the role and the athlete gains nothing of material value. Particularly with the NBA.
The NBA has a one-level minor league system. Stockton (the city boasting UOP) has the minor league squad affiliated with the Sacramento Kings.

That said, the remainder of your statement is relatively correct. Though I would take the position that the degree MOST guys earn would be of value, particularly if their planned foray in to the professional ranks falls through for whatever reason. I've always advocated a true minor league system, myself. Since the affiliates would be mainly in smaller towns, they would give small-town fans a taste of professional football, and if you're fortunate like San Diego is, their (MLB) Class A affiliate is about an hour and a half up the road, so when the big club is out of town, you can easily head out to get a feel for what's coming up the chain. (Actually, the Lake Elsinore Storm, the Pads' California League A affiliate, has about the most beautiful baseball stadium I've ever seen, particularly at the A level, and it's even better than some MLB stadia, particularly those built in the cookie-cutter era of the '70s.)

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

SuperHornet wrote:
AshevilleApp wrote:
The NBA has a one-level minor league system. Stockton (the city boasting UOP) has the minor league squad affiliated with the Sacramento Kings.
The G-League acts as a minor league system, but not all teams have an affiliation. The Blazers, in fact, do not, however, they can send players down to a G-League team for assignment and still retain them. The drawback is that the Blazers players are not really learning the Blazer system when they are there.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

SDHornet wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

:nod:

Another follow up from Wetzel pointing out the hypocrisy of the Big 10 Commish getting a $20M bonus but claiming scholarship athletes getting paid for likeness is a slippery slope.
Future headline the week of the Big 10 Championship game:
Heisman Trophy candidate will miss practice on Thursday for endorsement obligation.