All other college sports!
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Old Dominion cuts wrestling

Post by CAA Flagship »

Looks like wrestling becomes a casualty of football because of Title IX. We added women's volleyball but I think the choice was to add softball or cut wrestling.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Re: Old Dominion cuts wrestling

Post by AshevilleApp »

Wrestling is cool, but really an outlier sport at many schools. App still has it, but participates in the Southern Conference for it. So we never really left!
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

I just read the title and assumed it was because ow Titty Nine

Amirite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

CID1990 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:23 am I just read the title and assumed it was because ow Titty Nine

Amirite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, because they overspent on Football, and have a sucky team, so attendance is down, so in a financial crunch.
:thumb:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Wrestling always reminded me of:

Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

There's always SH's option that nobody ever wants to consider:

Field women's football. That kills the Title IX problem right off the top....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:54 am There's always SH's option that nobody ever wants to consider:

Field women's football. That kills the Title IX problem right off the top....
Because regular football isn't a money losing venture at 90% of Div I football. :roll:
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Old Dominion athletics faces drastic cost-cutting measures to remain financially solvent, study says
https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/coll ... ZCEZK23KD0

Cliff notes
Among the other conclusions in the study are:
*Joining Conference USA, which ODU did in 2013, has cost the school “a minimum of $2 million annually.” The study cites the departures of Memphis, Southern Methodist, Houston, Central Florida, Tulane and East Carolina as being damaging to the conference’s national profile.
*C-USA, which is based near Dallas and has teams as far west as El Paso, Texas, estimates it will give $1 million less to member institutions this year than in years past.
*The cancellation of the 2020 NCAA basketball tournament due to the coronavirus will result in the loss of $867 million, 60% of which is divided among member institutions. The impact will be especially jarring for mid-majors like ODU, which rely on that revenue each year.
*Revenue from ticket sales, gifts and corporate sponsorships is projected to be reduced by a minimum of 20% in college athletics, which for ODU would be $1.5 million.
*The NCAA’s recent decision to grant additional eligibility to athletes in spring sports who had their 2019-20 seasons cut short due to coronavirus concerns will cost ODU approximately $500,000.
*Among the scenarios examined regarding the 2020 football season: the possibility of playing games before no fans; the possibility of a partial cancellation of the season; and the possibility of canceling of the entire season. “The cancellation of the football season would create a major shortfall in football ticket sales revenues, priority seat gift requirements, corporate sponsorships and potentially television and bowl revenues to … C-USA,” according to the study. “All schools must be prepared for partial or total interruption of the 2020 football season.”
*ODU needed to reduce men’s athletic scholarship money by $250,000 to comply with Title IX, which requires judicious opportunities for female athletes.

The study also made the following conclusions:
*ODU can’t continue to support 17 NCAA sports (sailing is not one of them) with its current or future budget. Sixteen NCAA sports are required to remain a Football Bowl Subdivision program.
*Football and basketball, the Monarchs’ top revenue-generating sports, can’t be adversely affected by budget cuts if they plan to be competitive.
“Conference membership decisions need to be made” to reduce travel expenses and missed class time while generating more fan interest in the form of ticket sales.
*A male sport should be eliminated instead of watering down all of them.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

One thing I'll never figure out is the logic behind the assumption that reducing male opportunity automatically raises female opportunity. Subtraction doesn't mean addition. Sheesh!

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

SuperHornet wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:33 am One thing I'll never figure out is the logic behind the assumption that reducing male opportunity automatically raises female opportunity. Subtraction doesn't mean addition. Sheesh!
:? :?
What?