All other college sports!
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Furman cuts baseball and lacrosse

Post by CitadelGrad »

Last edited by CitadelGrad on Mon May 18, 2020 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Re: Furman cuts wrestling and lacrosse

Post by AshevilleApp »

Wrestling?
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: Furman cuts wrestling and lacrosse

Post by CID1990 »

They cut baseball and lacrosse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4

Re: Furman cuts baseball and lacrosse

Post by CitadelGrad »

I was thinking of another school that cut wrestling.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

CitadelGrad wrote:I was thinking of another school that cut wrestling.
How do you confuse such a shitty school with any other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

So they didn’t cut any chick sports?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Buddy of mine's son went there this year to play lax. F. Or FU.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

IMO, most DI schools have no business being over the minimum number of sports to compete in DI unless you have a niche sport that makes a decent amount of money. Probably a step in the right direction, but why baseball? Come on, your in the SoCon and in a hot-weather region.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Pwns wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:53 am IMO, most DI schools have no business being over the minimum number of sports to compete in DI unless you have a niche sport that makes a decent amount of money. Probably a step in the right direction, but why baseball? Come on, your in the SoCon and in a hot-weather region.
Sadly, that's the reality. What do these sports bring to these schools in reality anyway? Most of these sports lose money, most only bring a small fraction of kids onto campus as part of these teams (to counter the "diversifies the campus" argument), and most of these sports go relatively unwatched by the schools they represent. So if they lose money, no one knows they're there, and no one watches these games, what do these sports really add to the university?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4

Post by CitadelGrad »

Pwns wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:53 am IMO, most DI schools have no business being over the minimum number of sports to compete in DI unless you have a niche sport that makes a decent amount of money. Probably a step in the right direction, but why baseball? Come on, your in the SoCon and in a hot-weather region.
That would pretty much reduce every athletic dept. in the country to football and men's basketball. Of course, Title IX would require a couple of women's sports, as well.

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

CitadelGrad wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:22 am
That would pretty much reduce every athletic dept. in the country to football and men's basketball. Of course, Title IX would require a couple of women's sports, as well.
Minimum for DI is 14, 16 if you play FBS
:thumb:
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4

Post by CitadelGrad »

dbackjon wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:29 am

I know. I was referring to the economic aspect of it. Football and men's basketball are the only profitable sports. The rest leech from those two sports.

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

CitadelGrad wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:49 pm

I know. I was referring to the economic aspect of it. Football and men's basketball are the only profitable sports. The rest leech from those two sports.
There are only a handful of schools that make money on Football outside the P5. Probably a larger list for basketball, but I doubt Furman basketball makes money.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:43 pm
CitadelGrad wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:49 pm

There are only a handful of schools that make money on Football outside the P5. Probably a larger list for basketball, but I doubt Furman basketball makes money.
But I would argue that at least for football and/or basketball, at least some people actually do show up to watch those games other than parents and friends of the people playing the games. Generally speaking (and I know there are niches for everything - wrestling in the Midwest, baseball in the south, a specific popular sport for a particular college here and there) it is mainly friends and family for plenty of the other sports. Why do they even exist then? I would do away with the specific minimum - which is really there just to make it expensive and therefore trying to keep D1 sports the province of the either rich schools or the schools that will bleed money just to be in D1. Let the sports stand on their own - if a school really wants a tennis team, leave it up to them. Same with golf, same with cross country, etc. If there are schools willing to have these sports, rather than using them as counters to get to the 15 minimum, then great, have them. Otherwise, just focus on the few sports the school is actually good at and also the sports that people actually know about and care enough about to show up and see them every now and then.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

GannonFan wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:26 pm
dbackjon wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:43 pm

But I would argue that at least for football and/or basketball, at least some people actually do show up to watch those games other than parents and friends of the people playing the games. Generally speaking (and I know there are niches for everything - wrestling in the Midwest, baseball in the south, a specific popular sport for a particular college here and there) it is mainly friends and family for plenty of the other sports. Why do they even exist then? I would do away with the specific minimum - which is really there just to make it expensive and therefore trying to keep D1 sports the province of the either rich schools or the schools that will bleed money just to be in D1. Let the sports stand on their own - if a school really wants a tennis team, leave it up to them. Same with golf, same with cross country, etc. If there are schools willing to have these sports, rather than using them as counters to get to the 15 minimum, then great, have them. Otherwise, just focus on the few sports the school is actually good at and also the sports that people actually know about and care enough about to show up and see them every now and then.
Then why have sports at all?
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4

Post by CitadelGrad »

dbackjon wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:40 pm

Because most college towns are boring as fuck without them. Just imagine State College, PA, West Lafayette, IN, Tuscaloosa, AL, Lawrence, KS, Lincoln, NE and Champaign, Il without them.

Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Those towns would be boring without universities... but, not boring without just college sports.

I live in one of those towns and have only been to a couple of football and basketball games. There's plenty to do besides sports. If there was no university here, it would be boring as hell, though.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4

Post by CitadelGrad »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:47 pm Those towns would be boring without universities... but, not boring without just college sports.

I live in one of those towns and have only been to a couple of football and basketball games. There's plenty to do besides sports. If there was no university here, it would be boring as hell, though.
Those towns wouldn't even exist without the universities. It's the sports tourism that brings in the fans and their $$$.

Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

All of those towns existed before the university was founded with the exception of State College. They'd exist, we just wouldn't have heard of them. They'd be like a Rantoul, IL or a Eutaw, AL.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:52 am All of those towns existed before the university was founded with the exception of State College. They'd exist, we just wouldn't have heard of them. They'd be like a Rantoul, IL or a Eutaw, AL.
+1

Except everyone has heard of Eutaw.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:40 pm

Like I said, have the ones that people actually do care about. In very few places is there a need or an interest in a college golf team. And there are plenty of sports just like that that very few people even know those teams exist. Keep the few that people do care about.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

That is correct. Also minimum of 6 men's either way.

Back a doz+ years ago, when JMU dropped a # of sports (including wrestling), I thought the then minimum required was 17, but not totally sure..I just remember hearing then that JMU with 6 mens'/11 womens' was at the minimum...
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.