Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Big Ten Uncancels football, starting October 24th

Post by Pwns »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ber-return

Big Ten with Egg on their face. That's what happens when you cancel football for political reasons.

I fully expect the Pac 12 to continue unless California politicians work to stop it.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Big Ten Uncancels football, starting October 24th

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:19 am https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ber-return

Big Ten with Egg on their face. That's what happens when you cancel football for political reasons.

I fully expect the Pac 12 to continue unless California politicians work to stop it.
The quick test results is what made the difference. And the revenue. Just so you know, there’s still a pandemic going on that had WVU, Georgia Southern, and USF sit dozens of players. W wedding party in Mass of 65 people has now infected 107 people who were not there, etc.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:13 am
Pwns wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:19 am https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ber-return

The quick test results is what made the difference. And the revenue. Just so you know, there’s still a pandemic going on that had WVU, Georgia Southern, and USF sit dozens of players. W wedding party in Mass of 65 people has now infected 107 people who were not there, etc.
And of course, with the proper precautions (masks, social distancing, cleaning hands and disinfecting) it is very possible to do a lot of things, even during the pandemic, rather than just sitting around and waiting for a vaccine to arrive. We've known this since early April. Some people will follow the advice, some won't, and some will just forget. That's the trouble/fun of living in a society of millions of other people - not everyone is going to be the same or do as they should. Darn people.

Oh, the difference was really the revenue and the fact that folks like Notre Dame are not only playing, but even getting thousands of fans in the stands. Nothing pisses off the Big 10 like Notre Dame figuring something out that they're not able to figure out.

As for the Pac 12, I don't see them coming back - between the wild fires and the politics, I don't see them playing at all this year. As if the Pac 12 wasn't already in danger of being the weakest P5, this will cement that status for years to come, IMO.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

There are more teams than that. But most of the players are sitting because of contact tracing, not infection.
How many PAC-12, Mountain West, MAC, Ivy, CAA, etc. players got a case of the COVIDs?
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:56 am

And of course, with the proper precautions (masks, social distancing, cleaning hands and disinfecting) it is very possible to do a lot of things, even during the pandemic, rather than just sitting around and waiting for a vaccine to arrive. We've known this since early April. Some people will follow the advice, some won't, and some will just forget. That's the trouble/fun of living in a society of millions of other people - not everyone is going to be the same or do as they should. Darn people.

Oh, the difference was really the revenue and the fact that folks like Notre Dame are not only playing, but even getting thousands of fans in the stands. Nothing pisses off the Big 10 like Notre Dame figuring something out that they're not able to figure out.

As for the Pac 12, I don't see them coming back - between the wild fires and the politics, I don't see them playing at all this year. As if the Pac 12 wasn't already in danger of being the weakest P5, this will cement that status for years to come, IMO.
I don't think Notre Dame was even a microscopic factor.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

The quick test result is what is giving them cover to try and save face. The real reason is the money and the lawsuits.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

CitadelGrad wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:41 pm

It's the Big 10, ND is always a factor.
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4

Post by CitadelGrad »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:26 am
CitadelGrad wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:41 pm

That's what Domers like to believe.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:36 pm

There are more teams than that. But most of the players are sitting because of contact tracing, not infection.
How many PAC-12, Mountain West, MAC, Ivy, CAA, etc. players got a case of the COVIDs?
And? That’s kind of the idea of preventing spread and getting back to normal.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

:suspicious: Kate Brown already gave an exemption and Newsom has insisted that the state will not be a roadblock. The conference and individual schools are on the clock to submit their plans. Copy what the B1G0 did add a little something about the fires/smoke if necessary and submit.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:35 pm

:suspicious: Kate Brown already gave an exemption and Newsom has insisted that the state will not be a roadblock. The conference and individual schools are on the clock to submit their plans. Copy what the B1G0 did add a little something about the fires/smoke if necessary and submit.
Which raises another hypocritical possibility. Right now, in WA, gatherings of 5 or more for non-essential activities are prohibited.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

CitadelGrad wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:31 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:26 am

And yet most conversations about the Big 10 somehow always include Notre Dame. Seems like a lot of denial on your end. Don't let your ND hate blind you. :thumb:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

And Trump gets a boost in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota...
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4

Post by CitadelGrad »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:58 am
CitadelGrad wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:31 am

And yet most conversations about the Big 10 somehow always include Notre Dame. Seems like a lot of denial on your end. Don't let your ND hate blind you. :thumb:
I can't remember the last time a Big Ten conversation included Notre Dame.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:41 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:35 pm

Which raises another hypocritical possibility. Right now, in WA, gatherings of 5 or more for non-essential activities are prohibited.
Just call it a protest, and you can have thousands.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

A league that can't even count whomps. I'm waiting for the REAL football conference to uncancel the season. Give me the Big Sky any day of the week!

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Terps beating the shit out of Penn State right now. Hadn't scored a TD against them in years. Saved them all up for this game.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

I'm guessing that Harbaugh is wishing the season was still cancelled. Ouch.