Oddsmakers Have NO Clue!

All other college sports!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Oddsmakers Have NO Clue!

Post by SuperHornet »

The pre-game odds printed in our newspaper had ZERO bearing on the Coastal Carolina-AR State game this past weekend. They showed the Chanticleers as four-point DOGS in this matchup, but CCU won going away 52-23. What gives? ESPECIALLY after the Chants took out Kansas by 2 TDs....

Sheesh!

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Oddsmakers Have NO Clue!

Post by GannonFan »

Well, Kansas is terrible. Maybe they thought only winning by 2 TD's against that disaster of a team was a knock on Coastal? And Arkansas St had beaten a far better Kansas St team and had lost a close game to top 25 Memphis up to this point. I don't think the odds, if those were true, were crazy. Ark St did have a lot of time off - at least two postponed games between the last time they hit the field and this game. Maybe they were rusty?

With that said, though, people have always maintained that the best place to make money is off of the obscure, low level FBS and FCS games. Oddsmakers don't do as good of job on those games simply because they don't really follow or know those levels as much as the more watched high level FBS games. Those few that are real fans of those lower levels almost typically know more than the oddsmakers setting the lines. A rare chance to beat the house.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:05 pm Well, Kansas is terrible. Maybe they thought only winning by 2 TD's against that disaster of a team was a knock on Coastal? And Arkansas St had beaten a far better Kansas St team and had lost a close game to top 25 Memphis up to this point. I don't think the odds, if those were true, were crazy. Ark St did have a lot of time off - at least two postponed games between the last time they hit the field and this game. Maybe they were rusty?

With that said, though, people have always maintained that the best place to make money is off of the obscure, low level FBS and FCS games. Oddsmakers don't do as good of job on those games simply because they don't really follow or know those levels as much as the more watched high level FBS games. Those few that are real fans of those lower levels almost typically know more than the oddsmakers setting the lines. A rare chance to beat the house.
The odds are set to balance the money placed on the teams. It's not set to what they think the final score spread will be.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:36 pm
GannonFan wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:05 pm Well, Kansas is terrible. Maybe they thought only winning by 2 TD's against that disaster of a team was a knock on Coastal? And Arkansas St had beaten a far better Kansas St team and had lost a close game to top 25 Memphis up to this point. I don't think the odds, if those were true, were crazy. Ark St did have a lot of time off - at least two postponed games between the last time they hit the field and this game. Maybe they were rusty?

The odds are set to balance the money placed on the teams. It's not set to what they think the final score spread will be.
That common misconception makes them Bookies a fuckton of money. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12