The Bogus "Playoff"

All other college sports!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

The Bogus "Playoff"

Post by SuperHornet »

Given the effects of COVID on some of the major conferences, I've heard some talk about Liberty sneaking into the CFP. I don't know how serious that talk is, but I do have a huge question.

As incredible a season as Liberty has had so far (including yesterday's blowout of Western Carolina), if they're going to reach for a Big South alum, wouldn't they go after CCU first? They've been ranked longer and are higher than Liberty. Is there an SOS thing involved, like Liberty's win over VA Tech trumping anything CCU has done?

Realistically, I think that with the Pac-12 likely out of contention, they'll likely pack extra Big Ten and SEC schools into the CFP to define the Liberty's and CCUs of the world out. There's also been talk about expanding the CFP, but that's likely a non-starter because of their burning desire to define people out. But it's something to think about in this COVID-ravaged world....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Re: The Bogus "Playoff"

Post by AshevilleApp »

Coastal and Liberty play each other on 12/5.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Cincinnati and BYU are the only G5 schools with a snowballs chance. They should play each other instead of a conference championship game.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

And the dream is over, just that quickly. NC State took out #21 Liberty 15-14, despite a 14-9 Liberty lead in the second half. Three picks will do that to you. Any dreams of a berth in what is still being posited as a four-team "playoff" (nothing more than an invitation tournament designed to prevent an upset) is now gone, as is any chance of a Heisman. (Who's going to vote for a QB who threw three picks in one game, however good he is normally?)

Liberty will certainly get a decent bowl, though. Probably not a New Year's Day bowl, but a decent one none the less. Certainly not the ones around 15 DEC that only have 6-5/6-6 P5 schools that just barely qualified....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Hey, they had their chance. NC State is just a run of the mill, blah middle of the pack ACC team this year. If you want to be considered for the playoffs, you have to beat that team. Heck, you're mocking the 6-5 P5 schools that just barely qualified for a bowl and this year that could be the same NC State team that just beat Liberty. What does that say about Liberty?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Can't you just reuse one of the dozen other "bogus playoff" threads you've created? We get it, you don't like it.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:01 am Can't you just reuse one of the dozen other "bogus playoff" threads you've created? We get it, you don't like it.
BUT THIS ONE IS DIFFERENT!
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:47 am
89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:01 am Can't you just reuse one of the dozen other "bogus playoff" threads you've created? We get it, you don't like it.
BUT THIS ONE IS DIFFERENT!
Use your inside voice.

“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

I like seeing SuperCasey post ever so often. It shows me there is still good in this world.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."