Evangel to Retire Mascot

All other college sports!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Evangel to Retire Mascot

Post by SuperHornet »

The Evangel Crusaders (NAIA Heart of America Conference) are no more, per a statement by Interim President Dr. George O. Wood today. Apparently, the cultural backlash of the term is getting in the way of students, alumni, and faculty to represent the school out in the "real world." The athletic program will remain, bearing an as-yet to be determined name.

I love Dr. Wood as the immediate previous General Superintendent of the Assemblies of God (the organization with whom I hold my ministerial credential), but I disagree with this move. While I understand that SOME of the original Crusaders stepped outside their bounds (particularly in later crusades, which were monopolized by greedy opportunists and worse, especially during the Children's Crusade, which was nothing more than the human traffic of minors), in general, they represented strength, honor, and commitment to the faith, which was what Evangel students intended when they adopted the mascot in 1955.

https://www.evangel.edu/press_releases/ ... lJPF-XhCZs

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Evangel to Retire Mascot

Post by dbackjon »

Pretty much all the crusades were based on greed, corruption, human trafficking, murder and rape.

The idea of honoring people whose method of conversion was via the sword and conquest is antithetical to the teachings of Christ.
:thumb:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

dbackjon wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:43 pm Pretty much all the crusades were based on greed, corruption, human trafficking, murder and rape.

The idea of honoring people whose method of conversion was via the sword and conquest is antithetical to the teachings of Christ.
Do you honor and follow the teachings of Christ?
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:47 pm
dbackjon wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:43 pm Pretty much all the crusades were based on greed, corruption, human trafficking, murder and rape.

Do you honor and follow the teachings of Christ?
I try to live a good life. And yes, since the teachings of Christ closely align with that of Social Progressivism, I do. But I don't go around calling myself a warrior for Christ or whatever
:thumb:
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

You got to be real woke to find offense in something that happened 1000 years ago.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."