Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: FBS Realignment

Post by SuperHornet »

That's disgusting, 88. SMH....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:02 pm
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:thumb:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:02 am That's disgusting, 88. SMH....
True, but he isn't wrong. :chair:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:28 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:02 am That's disgusting, 88. SMH....
True, but he isn't wrong. :chair:
:rofl:

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

The JMU board is in a lather with mind numbing speculation about moving up, and incessant bitching that JMU hasn’t already (basically been that way for going on the last 9 years, but now is in overdrive)..

For JMU, I have no idea if this will lead to a football only move up, an all sport conference change, or nothing at all in the next couple of years.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Well, BDK, JMU is already D-I for all sports to the best of my knowledge, and has been for some time. If the administration wants to move football to FBS (which I wouldn't recommend, as the best JMU would get would be like App, CCU, and Liberty get: a no-name bowl game because those stupid P5 elitists define G5 out to prevent the devastating upset, however unlikely), that shouldn't really affect other sports unless whatever conference takes JMU football wants JMU to be a full member vice an associate member. If JMU goes the indy route for football (always tough, but definitely an option), that should allow JMU's other sports to remain where they are (unless the present conference drops a retaliatory nuke on JMU, but I doubt that would happen).

Personally, I think JMU should stay in FCS, but that's strictly because of my pro-FCS bias. I have no reason to believe that JMU wouldn't do as well in FBS as App, CCU, and Liberty have done.

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

89Hen wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:12 pm
SDHornet wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:11 am

I like it in the sense that this finally separates the big boys from everyone else. NIL was the final nail to force the re-alignment. Let's get this party going. Now the rest of us D1 programs (mainly the G5 folks) can stop pretending to be on par with the Alabama's and Ohio State's of the college football world and make better long term decisions.

There is too much money for the B12 to go away, especially if Texas and Oklahoma payout the conference to leave before the GOR expires in June 2025. That means the B12 can add whatever AAC teams bring the most value. The new B12 will be a shell of its former self and be slightly above AAC status on the college football pecking order.
I'm not sure I understand your position. Vandy and Kentucky are still in the SEC. Are they big boys, or are you thinking they get kicked to the curb? This is really bad for CF IMO.
No, they're in the club (not by metrics, but by existing membership). Any one claiming that TX & Oklahoma to the SEC will cause Mizzou, kentucky, whoever to leave somewhere with a lesser payout has no idea what they are talking about.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:45 pm
89Hen wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:12 pm
I'm not sure I understand your position. Vandy and Kentucky are still in the SEC. Are they big boys, or are you thinking they get kicked to the curb? This is really bad for CF IMO.
No, they're in the club (not by metrics, but by existing membership).
So it doesn't separate the big boys.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:41 pm I love college football, but I really don't like the direction... mega conferences, paying players... I'm about done with it.
Keeler: Texas, Oklahoma killed college football as we know it. Now CU Buffs might be wise to follow Nebraska’s lead and call Big Ten.
Forget loyalty. Forget alliances. Forget geography. Forget common sense. It’s all one giant, soulless, gutless cash grab. Global pandemic? Sorry, kids. We got contracts.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:28 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:02 pm
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Texas Tech says: “Hold my beer!”…. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:22 am
89Hen wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:41 pm I love college football, but I really don't like the direction... mega conferences, paying players... I'm about done with it.
Keeler: Texas, Oklahoma killed college football as we know it. Now CU Buffs might be wise to follow Nebraska’s lead and call Big Ten.
Forget loyalty. Forget alliances. Forget geography. Forget common sense. It’s all one giant, soulless, gutless cash grab. Global pandemic? Sorry, kids. We got contracts.
When I saw ‘Keeler’ I thought KC Keeler..
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

89Hen wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:15 am
SDHornet wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:45 pm
No, they're in the club (not by metrics, but by existing membership).
They're in the club based on association. So yes, they technically are "big boys". Not really hard to understand.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:50 am
They're in the club based on association. So yes, they technically are "big boys". Not really hard to understand.
So they're grandfathered in like a legacy getting into a Frat? The big boys don't really want them but they can't kick them out?

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

It is very hard to understand. They are not big boys when it comes to football, so how does this help CF?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

89Hen wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:48 pm

It is very hard to understand. They are not big boys when it comes to football, so how does this help CF?
$$$
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:15 pm
89Hen wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:48 pm

$$$
Vandy doesn't bring in any money, they just share in the windfall of cash. This is bad for CF.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

Pac-12 and Big 12 commissioners were meeting this morning. Speculation is that word got out that the Pac-12 would be going after Oklahoma State and Texas Tech soon. Nothing in print yet, but it was reported on Portland sports talk radio today.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

89Hen wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:52 am
SDHornet wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:15 pm

$$$
Vandy doesn't bring in any money, they just share in the windfall of cash. This is bad for CF.
Agree but they are already juiced in so lucky them. They'll get to enjoy the added pay bump the Texas and Oklahoma brands bring to the SEC.

I think this is good in that we can have the G5 folks and below stop pretending like they are on par with the big boys so the needless arms race in facilities, staff, and budgets (i.e. wasted tax payer funds) can finally find some normalcy. This will be even better if it means FB can be decoupled and oly sport realignment can occur on a more common sense approach. We'll see what the NCAA restructuring will entail.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:10 pm
89Hen wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:52 am
Agree but they are already juiced in so lucky them. They'll get to enjoy the added pay bump the Texas and Oklahoma brands bring to the SEC.

I think this is good in that we can have the G5 folks and below stop pretending like they are on par with the big boys so the needless arms race in facilities, staff, and budgets (i.e. wasted tax payer funds) can finally find some normalcy. This will be even better if it means FB can be decoupled and oly sport realignment can occur on a more common sense approach. We'll see what the NCAA restructuring will entail.
So for you the good is that it will separate the one percenters from the rest and alignment will more closely reflect reality?

For me and I think 89, it's bad because we're losing the rivalries and traditions that made big-time college football special.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:48 pm

So for you the good is that it will separate the one percenters from the rest and alignment will more closely reflect reality?

For me and I think 89, it's bad because we're losing the rivalries and traditions that made big-time college football special.
Most the the stuff the traditionalists hold on to was destroyed when the BCS was implemented, they just haven't come to acknowledge that yet. And of course, lots of traditions were lost in the last round of realignment following the BE collapse. Not really sure what rivalries and traditions are left to get ravaged this time around.

And yes I'm good with the CFB "1%ers" doing their own thing...as if that is not how this has been trending towards since the first ESPN/$$$ driven realignment in the not so distant past.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:48 pm

That and also I like them being able to pretend. Hope is a good thing Red.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:51 pm And yes I'm good with the CFB "1%ers" doing their own thing...as if that is not how this has been trending towards since the first ESPN/$$$ driven realignment in the not so distant past.
I'll disagree again. I think we were heading towards 8-12-16 team playoffs which would have included the little guys.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:00 am
SDHornet wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:51 pm And yes I'm good with the CFB "1%ers" doing their own thing...as if that is not how this has been trending towards since the first ESPN/$$$ driven realignment in the not so distant past.
I'll disagree again. I think we were heading towards 8-12-16 team playoffs which would have included the little guys.
Filling a 16 team field from 48 teams (four 16 team super conferences) while leaving out the G5 teams that were making noise is going to suck.

I don't think I'll watch as much FBS football this fall and don't see that changing in future years.