Post-Riley Transfers Out of Oklahoma

All other college sports!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post-Riley Transfers Out of Oklahoma

Post by SuperHornet »

Two injury-riddled WRs have announced entry into the transfer portal: Theo Wease and Jadon Haselwood. Several recruits have also de-committed. This article speculates that new Texas HC Steve Sarkisian (whose firing at U$C prompted the Riley move) MIGHT be interested in these guys.

https://sports.yahoo.com/two-oklahoma-w ... p_catchall

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Post-Riley Transfers Out of Oklahoma

Post by 89Hen »

I would expect Caleb Williams will be gone.

The transfer rule stinks IMO. 5 star LB recruit at MD who missed this season with an injury has entered the portal. He was the #1 LB recruit in the country, but something is wrong with this kid, other than his knee. He had previously committed to Florida and then Tennessee before coming to Maryland. So maybe he'll actually play a down for his fourth team.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:24 pm I would expect Caleb Williams will be gone.

The transfer rule stinks IMO. 5 star LB recruit at MD who missed this season with an injury has entered the portal. He was the #1 LB recruit in the country, but something is wrong with this kid, other than his knee. He had previously committed to Florida and then Tennessee before coming to Maryland. So maybe he'll actually play a down for his fourth team.
It all comes down to who can promise the most hookers and blow.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

89Hen wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:24 pm I would expect Caleb Williams will be gone.

He's only been on one college team. He was a true freshman this year.

Florida happened his sophomore year of HS.
He committed to Tennessee as a Junior. HC Jeremy Pruitt was fired so he decommited.
Auburn came in late with a push his senior year and grabbed him. Auburn then fired Gus Malzahn and so he didn't want to stay there and Maryland came in days before ESD

Shocking that a soph wasn't completely sold on a choice as he grew up - and shocking that a kid decommits after the coach that recruited him is fired.

But yeah - he's clearly got a problem and should be treated as some sort of criminal abusing a system that has abused student-athletes for years. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: *massive fart noise*
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Glad to see you back clenz. The air was getting too fresh without you.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

89Hen wrote:Glad to see you back clenz. The air was getting too fresh without you.
Get fucked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

This is what I don't like about the recruitment process. A 5-star QB obviously wasn't won over by the school; he was won over by the coach. When the coach left, he immediately de-committed and followed the coach. Malachi Nelson spurns Oklahoma to go to U$C, following Lincoln Riley. Whatever happened to the idea of picking a school FOR THE SCHOOL?!? SMH....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/five-star- ... 12363.html

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

clenz wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:28 am
89Hen wrote:Glad to see you back clenz. The air was getting too fresh without you.
Get fucked
:lol: Glad you're a moderator here. So even keel. :thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:06 am This is what I don't like about the recruitment process. A 5-star QB obviously wasn't won over by the school; he was won over by the coach. When the coach left, he immediately de-committed and followed the coach. Malachi Nelson spurns Oklahoma to go to U$C, following Lincoln Riley. Whatever happened to the idea of picking a school FOR THE SCHOOL?!? SMH....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/five-star- ... 12363.html
When did that ever happen?

It's always been the coach.

Just in the past, NCAA rules bound the students more than the coaches. Now students have the freedom the coaches have always had.
:thumb:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Not that I was a "star" (I was the farthest thing from it as a guy who never even saw game action, and even mop-up duty on Senior Day might have been a bit dicey), but I chose both UOP and Sac State because of the schools themselves. I'm sure there are SOME top-tier athletes who would do the same (outside of those we've heard about who were dissed by the current coaches of the schools they'd wanted to play for all their lives)....

clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:55 am Not that I was a "star" (I was the farthest thing from it as a guy who never even saw game action, and even mop-up duty on Senior Day might have been a bit dicey), but I chose both UOP and Sac State because of the schools themselves. I'm sure there are SOME top-tier athletes who would do the same (outside of those we've heard about who were dissed by the current coaches of the schools they'd wanted to play for all their lives)....
High-profile players never pick a school. They pick a coach, coordinator, position coach, and connections. They might fall in love with the school while there and become a "lifer" but that doesn't always happen (in fact it happens less than it does). Players pick the people recruiting them. They pick the people that are going to get them to the next level. Hell, that happens ever at the D3/NAIA level. There are some schools where it is "I'm going here because they have Program X or Y" but it's almost always "I felt a strong connection to the coach recruiting me" or "I am close with guys on the team and others coming in". I wasn't high profile by any means. I had a few FCS walk on offers, a number of D2 from around the country, and a ton of D3 offers. The school I picked wasn't because I liked the school. When I got to campus for fall camp I couldn't tell you fuck all about the school itself. I was there because the guy who recruited me. I was there because of the guy who was the HC (He moved to the AD roll in the weeks leading up to the summer so he wasn't my HC, which is part of the reason I left the program after my freshman year). I left the school completely because it was just a college. I didn't have any connection to it beyond the HC and guy who recruited me.

Guys who are NFL caliber aren't going to a school because "they dream of going to School X and they can't wait to partake in generic school tradition at generic school building and then come back years later to be part of some alumni event". They are picking schools at the level based on coaches/programs who can get them where they want to go and can get them the nicest/coolest shit along the way. Any kid committed to OU right now can wait for OU to hire Fickle from Cinci or Campbell from Iowa State (neither have shown they can recruit 4 or 5* kids and turn them into first round draft picks) but a guy like Lincoln Riley has shown if you are a QB you are going to be Heisman level. If you are a skill guy you're getting drafted in the first 3 rounds. If you're a good OL/DL he will get you drafted. OU isn't get them the drafted. Those business programs are getting them drafted. The "special place" on campus isn't getting them drafted. The coach is.

The reality is, those "Special places" that students fall in love with and come back to see as alumni are at every fucking university in America. There isn't one UNI graduate that doesn't have a special connection to the campanile at UNI. Hell, I have a statue of it on display at my place. Double hell, it is literally the official university seal. Triple hell, there are multiple weddings in front of it every summer. However, no one is picking UNI because of it. No one gives a fuck about it while being recruited as a student athlete. Now, once on campus can/do those memories get created? Sure. Those same kind of feelings can be created at any university with a campanile that treats it similarly to UNI. Or any campus with a "special" quad/union/green space/fountain/whatever it may be at that university. One of the D3's that was recruiting me made a HAARD pitch around a big pond that is on campus and all the traditions around it. That's neat to know, but I'm not picking a place because of the pond with all the cool tradition around it. I have no connection to it, and never will unless I go there, but that is going to be low on my list of reasons to go somewhere.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

89Hen wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:31 am
clenz wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:28 am
Get fucked
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

clenz wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:48 pm
89Hen wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:31 am

Yeah, I don’t think he’s “jealous”, more trying to say “stop acting like a fucking 12 year old….you’re a moderator, FFS”.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

clenz wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:18 am

He's only been on one college team. He was a true freshman this year.

Florida happened his sophomore year of HS.
He committed to Tennessee as a Junior. HC Jeremy Pruitt was fired so he decommited.
Auburn came in late with a push his senior year and grabbed him. Auburn then fired Gus Malzahn and so he didn't want to stay there and Maryland came in days before ESD

Shocking that a soph wasn't completely sold on a choice as he grew up - and shocking that a kid decommits after the coach that recruited him is fired.

But yeah - he's clearly got a problem and should be treated as some sort of criminal abusing a system that has abused student-athletes for years. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: *massive fart noise*
Agreed. This is the new norm for college athletics, and I have no problem with it. Coaches can up and bail whenever they want, it's about damn time the "student athletes" can do it too.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

clenz wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:44 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:55 am Not that I was a "star" (I was the farthest thing from it as a guy who never even saw game action, and even mop-up duty on Senior Day might have been a bit dicey), but I chose both UOP and Sac State because of the schools themselves. I'm sure there are SOME top-tier athletes who would do the same (outside of those we've heard about who were dissed by the current coaches of the schools they'd wanted to play for all their lives)....
High-profile players never pick a school. They pick a coach, coordinator, position coach, and connections. They might fall in love with the school while there and become a "lifer" but that doesn't always happen (in fact it happens less than it does). Players pick the people recruiting them. They pick the people that are going to get them to the next level. Hell, that happens ever at the D3/NAIA level. There are some schools where it is "I'm going here because they have Program X or Y" but it's almost always "I felt a strong connection to the coach recruiting me" or "I am close with guys on the team and others coming in". I wasn't high profile by any means. I had a few FCS walk on offers, a number of D2 from around the country, and a ton of D3 offers. The school I picked wasn't because I liked the school. When I got to campus for fall camp I couldn't tell you fuck all about the school itself. I was there because the guy who recruited me. I was there because of the guy who was the HC (He moved to the AD roll in the weeks leading up to the summer so he wasn't my HC, which is part of the reason I left the program after my freshman year). I left the school completely because it was just a college. I didn't have any connection to it beyond the HC and guy who recruited me.

Guys who are NFL caliber aren't going to a school because "they dream of going to School X and they can't wait to partake in generic school tradition at generic school building and then come back years later to be part of some alumni event". They are picking schools at the level based on coaches/programs who can get them where they want to go and can get them the nicest/coolest shit along the way. Any kid committed to OU right now can wait for OU to hire Fickle from Cinci or Campbell from Iowa State (neither have shown they can recruit 4 or 5* kids and turn them into first round draft picks) but a guy like Lincoln Riley has shown if you are a QB you are going to be Heisman level. If you are a skill guy you're getting drafted in the first 3 rounds. If you're a good OL/DL he will get you drafted. OU isn't get them the drafted. Those business programs are getting them drafted. The "special place" on campus isn't getting them drafted. The coach is.

The reality is, those "Special places" that students fall in love with and come back to see as alumni are at every fucking university in America. There isn't one UNI graduate that doesn't have a special connection to the campanile at UNI. Hell, I have a statue of it on display at my place. Double hell, it is literally the official university seal. Triple hell, there are multiple weddings in front of it every summer. However, no one is picking UNI because of it. No one gives a fuck about it while being recruited as a student athlete. Now, once on campus can/do those memories get created? Sure. Those same kind of feelings can be created at any university with a campanile that treats it similarly to UNI. Or any campus with a "special" quad/union/green space/fountain/whatever it may be at that university. One of the D3's that was recruiting me made a HAARD pitch around a big pond that is on campus and all the traditions around it. That's neat to know, but I'm not picking a place because of the pond with all the cool tradition around it. I have no connection to it, and never will unless I go there, but that is going to be low on my list of reasons to go somewhere.
Excellent post. :notworthy:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:42 am Glad to see you back clenz. My rarified, bourgeoisie air was getting stale. Hoping you bring in a fresh breeze of different perspectives.
That's more like it. ;)
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:47 am
89Hen wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:42 am Glad to see you back clenz. My rarified, bourgeoisie air was getting stale. Hoping you bring in a fresh breeze of different perspectives.
That's more like it. ;)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :thumb: :thumb:
:thumb:
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:04 pm
clenz wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:48 pm

Yeah, I don’t think he’s “jealous”, more trying to say “stop acting like a fucking 12 year old….you’re a moderator, FFS”.
Right because "moderator" on CS is such a high profile title to hold for the...*checks notes*...20 people that post here with regularity. So much so that none of the other people that have the title ever dare even get close to any kind of line. It's an honor that must be held to the highest possible internet moderator standard.

CS is known to be the most polite, respectful, PC, and mature community on the internet. It's why the group of active users remains at the level it is. Outsiders realize they can't meet the incredible Code of Conduct this site requires. No other community on the internet has a more refine collection of 50-60 year old white men that think they know everything in the world and are never wrong like this place. The standard here, truly, is unmatched. Young bucks like me, at 33 years old, just don't get it.

Right.

Got it

phpBB [video]
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

I was incorrect. 11 year old.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

Clenz that perspective on recruiting is the most accurate to the college football business I’ve seen well done
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:46 am Clenz that perspective on recruiting is the most accurate to the college football business I’ve seen well done
Especially for someone with the emotional maturity of an 11 year old. Indeed, well done.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:44 pm
DuckDuckGriz wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:46 am Clenz that perspective on recruiting is the most accurate to the college football business I’ve seen well done
Especially for someone with the emotional maturity of an 11 year old. Indeed, well done.
That would put him about the level of most 50-60 year old white men inhabiting an FCS political er…I mean football forum.

:lol:

Oh yeah…and Clenzy…you’ve been reported. :D
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:30 pm

That would put him about the level of most 50-60 year old white men inhabiting an FCS political er…I mean football forum.

:lol:

Oh yeah…and Clenzy…you’ve been reported. :D
It would appear that clenz causes a similar level of angst among the Griz faithful on CS as he does among the bizumb lynch mob on AGS.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

You said 12!!!!!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:37 pm

You said 12!!!!!
Yes, but I corrected my assessment earlier in the thread. Try and keep up. :kisswink: