Miami (FL) Fires Manny Diaz, expected to get Oregon Coach

All other college sports!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Miami (FL) Fires Manny Diaz, expected to get Oregon Coach

Post by SuperHornet »

Mario Cristobal won a Rose Bowl and lost a Fiesta Bowl with Oregon. Rudderless Miami let Diaz go flapping in the breeze before firing him this morning. (His dismissal was finally done by the school president because they have no AD at the moment; Clemson's Dan Radakovich is reputed to be the front runner.

IMO, they got the order wrong. They should have hired the AD and THEN made the coaching switch. Now, the new AD, whoever s/he is, will have to deal with a fait accomplis, and may well have someone they can't deal with. The directionlessness at Miami continues, even as they claim to be getting the '80s swagger back.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-miami- ... 37408.html

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Miami (FL) Fires Manny Diaz, expected to get Oregon Coach

Post by dbackjon »

The President will get an AD that is fine with the hire. May even have someone in mind.

And no sympathy for Diaz - he did the same to Temple while talking to Miami about that job.
:thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:58 am The President will get an AD that is fine with the hire. May even have someone in mind.

And no sympathy for Diaz - he did the same to Temple while talking to Miami about that job.
:nod:

This could be good or bad for Oregon. Cristobal is a terrific recruiter but too conservative with the offense and loses some headscratchers.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:06 am
dbackjon wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:58 am The President will get an AD that is fine with the hire. May even have someone in mind.

This could be good or bad for Oregon. Cristobal is a terrific recruiter but too conservative with the offense and loses some headscratchers.
Recruits are de-committing left and right from Ducks right now.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

JALMOND wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:08 am

And flocking to PSU? One can only hope....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:16 am

And flocking to PSU? One can only hope....
Our coach wouldn't know what to do if half of Oregon's commits came to PSU. :oops:

The issue has never been getting the talent to PSU. The issue has been trying to coach the talent.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Oregon still has a lot going for it. They can recommit with the right hire.

Who do you think or want Oregon to hire?
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:58 am

I'm thinking that had Moorhead known this was about to happen, he would not have been in a big hurry to take the Akron job.

Whoever they get will no doubt want the same money that the Ducks were going to spend to keep Cristobal. The Nike brand alone is enough for them to get a big hire. Whether they are willing to pay top dollar for them is another story.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

The philosophical outlook on this will be interesting.
A few factors at play here.

One, Cristobal changed Oregon's identity to more of a physical, in the trenches and conservative team (despite that Utah loss). He was often critiqued for seemingly stifling his offensive coordinators in the past. Nevertheless, does Oregon go for a big splashy offensive hire?

A heavy duty recruiter will be table stakes for this job especially with Licoln Riley down the road.

My list of potentials:

Chris Petersen - total longshot, but heavy ties in the PNW, former UO assistant, has set his intent on retiring though. He'll get a call

Brian Harsin (Auburn) - some of you less familiar with this circle may scratch your head at the thought of UO sniping an SEC coach, but Harsin like Petersen has heavy regional ties thanks to Boise State and went 6-5 at Auburn.

Justin Wilcox (Cal) - former Duck, would team up (ideally) with his old D-coordinator DeRuyter, great defensive mind and young coach. Questionable recruiter. Questionable results at Cal. This is the guy if UO wants to go for the long-term, 20 year tenure, 'come home' kind of candidate. The last homegrown guy? Helfrich...

Matt Campbell (IA St) - medium longshot. No idea if he'd want to come west or if he's holding out for a Big Ten/SEC gig.

Dave Aranda (Baylor) - total longshot, but I'd be over the moon for that one. The Pac 12 aren't world beaters but the Big XII is dying.

Chip Kelly (UCLA) - I think he'll get a call. I'd have mixed feelings here. Chip isn't known as dynamic with boosters. He had incredible success here but I wonder how much of that was due to the timing of his philosophy. The CFB landscape has changed so much in the last 10 years, and much of that was in response to Kelly's tempo & system at Oregon in the early 2010s. Who's to say Chip wants back, but with the other new sheriff in town (Riley), might be enticing to get out of that division.

Joe Salave'a (UO O-Line) - who I think you'll see as UO's interim. Offensive line coach. Players love him. Will be a HC someday but has no head coaching experience so he's a wildcard. Cristobal was the OL coach before he was promoted up.

Kilani Sitake (BYU). i think this is a longshot but that could be a juicy hire, especially for locking down Polynesian recruits in the PNW/Rockies. He's a loyal BYU guy so I'd imagine the price and upside would have to be right.
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

JALMOND wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:11 pm

I'm thinking that had Moorhead known this was about to happen, he would not have been in a big hurry to take the Akron job.

Whoever they get will no doubt want the same money that the Ducks were going to spend to keep Cristobal. The Nike brand alone is enough for them to get a big hire. Whether they are willing to pay top dollar for them is another story.
I'm not convinced Moorhead would have gotten the gig. If he really wanted it too, or thought he could get it, he'd have stayed. You could sense Cristobal was flirting with Miami as soon as the Oregon State game wrapped and he flew to Miami to see his mom.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:33 pm

One, Cristobal changed Oregon's identity to more of a physical, in the trenches and conservative team (despite that Utah loss). He was often critiqued for seemingly stifling his offensive coordinators in the past. Nevertheless, does Oregon go for a big splashy offensive hire?

A heavy duty recruiter will be table stakes for this job especially with Licoln Riley down the road.

My list of potentials:

Chris Petersen - total longshot, but heavy ties in the PNW, former UO assistant, has set his intent on retiring though. He'll get a call

Brian Harsin (Auburn) - some of you less familiar with this circle may scratch your head at the thought of UO sniping an SEC coach, but Harsin like Petersen has heavy regional ties thanks to Boise State and went 6-5 at Auburn.

Justin Wilcox (Cal) - former Duck, would team up (ideally) with his old D-coordinator DeRuyter, great defensive mind and young coach. Questionable recruiter. Questionable results at Cal. This is the guy if UO wants to go for the long-term, 20 year tenure, 'come home' kind of candidate. The last homegrown guy? Helfrich...

Matt Campbell (IA St) - medium longshot. No idea if he'd want to come west or if he's holding out for a Big Ten/SEC gig.

Dave Aranda (Baylor) - total longshot, but I'd be over the moon for that one. The Pac 12 aren't world beaters but the Big XII is dying.

Chip Kelly (UCLA) - I think he'll get a call. I'd have mixed feelings here. Chip isn't known as dynamic with boosters. He had incredible success here but I wonder how much of that was due to the timing of his philosophy. The CFB landscape has changed so much in the last 10 years, and much of that was in response to Kelly's tempo & system at Oregon in the early 2010s. Who's to say Chip wants back, but with the other new sheriff in town (Riley), might be enticing to get out of that division.

Joe Salave'a (UO O-Line) - who I think you'll see as UO's interim. Offensive line coach. Players love him. Will be a HC someday but has no head coaching experience so he's a wildcard. Cristobal was the OL coach before he was promoted up.

Kilani Sitake (BYU). i think this is a longshot but that could be a juicy hire, especially for locking down Polynesian recruits in the PNW/Rockies. He's a loyal BYU guy so I'd imagine the price and upside would have to be right.
Rumor has it that Harsin was sniffing around the UDub job trying to create his own candidacy.

Sitake would be awesome - could continue the physical in the trenches approach while adding some creativity and big play ability on offense.
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:15 pm
DuckDuckGriz wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:33 pm

My list of potentials:

Rumor has it that Harsin was sniffing around the UDub job trying to create his own candidacy.

Sitake would be awesome - could continue the physical in the trenches approach while adding some creativity and big play ability on offense.
Sitake would be a pleasant surprise. I wouldn't be mad. Like I said, UO has a long history with Polynesian recruits - it'd be great to corner that market against Utah, Wazzu, etc.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

I'd like to see them sign Katie Sowers or Callie Brownson. Good NFL experience....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Yahoo!'s Top 4:

1. Chip Kelly, UCLA
2. Matt Campbell, IA State
3. Bill O'Brien, Alabama OC
4. Kalani Sitake, BYU

Given the play that Troy Taylor has been getting, I think he might get a look. That said, Oregon's recent history might put them above the Cal-UW level and so place them beyond a successful FCS coach. Also, Taylor's recent comments lead one to believe that he's in Sac for the long-term, and that is the best result possible....

https://sports.yahoo.com/here-are-4-pot ... 09270.html

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:43 am Yahoo!'s Top 4:

1. Chip Kelly, UCLA
4. Kalani Sitake, BYU

Given the play that Troy Taylor has been getting, I think he might get a look. That said, Oregon's recent history might put them above the Cal-UW level and so place them beyond a successful FCS coach. Also, Taylor's recent comments lead one to believe that he's in Sac for the long-term, and that is the best result possible....

DDG's list was better than Yahoo's.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

1. Chip Kelly, UCLA
4. Kalani Sitake, BYU

The only Big Sky coach I see on the same level that Oregon is looking at is probably Hawkins at UC Davis, and that would be quite a reach. The Ducks job is not a realistic opportunity for even a successful Big Sky coach to reach for. Ducks can (and will) get something far more better.
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:57 pm

1. Chip Kelly, UCLA
4. Kalani Sitake, BYU

The only Big Sky coach I see on the same level that Oregon is looking at is probably Hawkins at UC Davis, and that would be quite a reach. The Ducks job is not a realistic opportunity for even a successful Big Sky coach to reach for. Ducks can (and will) get something far more better.
You don't think Troy Taylor is getting looks?
I feel like he's the Rodney Dangerfield of FCS.

I bet there's an FBS AD sniffing around Sac State's admin right now.
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:38 pm

1. Chip Kelly, UCLA
4. Kalani Sitake, BYU

DDG's list was better than Yahoo's.
I've had a lot of 3am thought on this. :lol:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:10 pm
JALMOND wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:57 pm

Once the Ducks decide on Justin Wilcox, there will then be the Cal job. Taylor can get that one.
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:54 pm

Once the Ducks decide on Justin Wilcox, there will then be the Cal job. Taylor can get that one.
SO many Ducks fans shitting on Wilcox but I think he's performed admirably given the lack of investment and interest at Cal.
And we have his old DC, DeRuyter, so a defensive minded program would be an interesting foil to the new Riley regime in South Central...

Not to mention it'd be nice to have a long-term program guy. Though I suppose that was Helfrich too... :tothehand:
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

Here's my wild card one that friends seem to be laughing at today.

Josh Gattis, the offensive coordinator at Michigan.

Just won the Broyles Award (nation's top assistant).

Has tutelage under Jim Harbaugh, Nick Saban, James Franklin, Bill O'Brien.

Monster recruiter.

Runs an incredibly efficient offense that requires near flawless execution of his O-line.

No head coaching experience.

But you save the salary and round out the staff with heavy hitters.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:51 pm Here's my wild card one that friends seem to be laughing at today.

Monster recruiter.

Runs an incredibly efficient offense that requires near flawless execution of his O-line.

Good lineage. Emphasis on recruiting could be critical to keeping up with Riley.

What about Joe Brady?
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:28 pm
DuckDuckGriz wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:51 pm Here's my wild card one that friends seem to be laughing at today.

Monster recruiter.

Good lineage. Emphasis on recruiting could be critical to keeping up with Riley.

What about Joe Brady?
I'm too ignorant to know how he'd be as a HC
He's rumored to be the next OC at Miami :cry:

Cristobal is not a pass guy and was infamously domineering over both of his OCs at Oregon though so I'd be surprised.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:54 pm

Cal was the first rumor we heard, and it's still going on. Then, for about a minute, we heard about Washington. If the Pac-12 is looking at him, even Oregon taking a peek wouldn't surprise me. But I hope all those rumors fall flat. I wasn't on the Taylor bandwagon when he first got here (I was looking for Cal OL Coach Angus McClure), I'm fully on board with Taylor now given the results he's gotten in just a couple of years....