All other college sports!
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

USC/UCLA to Big Ten

Post by HI54UNI »

USC, UCLA planning to leave Pac-12 for Big Ten in 2024 with announcement imminent

Pac-12 powerhouses USC and UCLA are finalizing discussions to leave the conference for the Big Ten as early as the 2024 athletic season, sources tell CBS Sports' Matt Norlander and Dennis Dodd. Though the move is not yet official, it appears as if the Big Ten is aiming to make a significant acquisition that will change the college sports landscape.

An announcement expected to address USC and UCLA's intensions is scheduled for 4 p.m. ET, sources close to the situation tell Dodd.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -imminent/
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: USC/UCLA to Big Ten

Post by GannonFan »

Very interesting. Both felt like they were getting left behind, and considering the paltry amount of money that goes to each Pac-12 school from the media rights (something like just under $20M per school last year, down from just over $30M a couple of years ago), not all that surprising. The Pac-12 has been far below the other Power conferences when it comes to media rights.

These two schools are maybe the two biggest brands in the Pac-12, the only other one that's as close would be Oregon potentially. Makes you wonder where the rest of the conference goes from here.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:52 pm Very interesting. Both felt like they were getting left behind, and considering the paltry amount of money that goes to each Pac-12 school from the media rights (something like just under $20M per school last year, down from just over $30M a couple of years ago), not all that surprising. The Pac-12 has been far below the other Power conferences when it comes to media rights.

These two schools are maybe the two biggest brands in the Pac-12, the only other one that's as close would be Oregon potentially. Makes you wonder where the rest of the conference goes from here.
Rumor is the Ducks wanted to go, and was under consideration, but the Big 10 was concerned that there was no travel partner for the Ducks (they absolutely did not want the Beavers).
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

JALMOND wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:54 pm
GannonFan wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:52 pm Very interesting. Both felt like they were getting left behind, and considering the paltry amount of money that goes to each Pac-12 school from the media rights (something like just under $20M per school last year, down from just over $30M a couple of years ago), not all that surprising. The Pac-12 has been far below the other Power conferences when it comes to media rights.

Rumor is the Ducks wanted to go, and was under consideration, but the Big 10 was concerned that there was no travel partner for the Ducks (they absolutely did not want the Beavers).
Talks now that Ducks, Washington, Stanford and Cal may join UCLA and USC in forming a "West division" in the Big 10. They may also take Utah and Colorado. That would leave the Arizona schools, the Beavs and Washington State behind.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

This is completely stupid. I'm absolutely sick of these nationwide megaconferences. The league that can't count has become what the Sun Belch used to be. SMH....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

JALMOND wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:57 pm
JALMOND wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:54 pm

Talks now that Ducks, Washington, Stanford and Cal may join UCLA and USC in forming a "West division" in the Big 10. They may also take Utah and Colorado. That would leave the Arizona schools, the Beavs and Washington State behind.
Lol you would have the Big 20.

Then the wll PAC 4 has to raid the MWC. Then the MWC fills with ???? Maybe NDSU and the Montana schools…
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

We are going to be left with two meaningful conferences: B10 and SEC. Everyone else is just scrambling for scraps at this point.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:08 pm
JALMOND wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:57 pm

Then the wll PAC 4 has to raid the MWC. Then the MWC fills with ???? Maybe NDSU and the Montana schools…
Word on the street is that the Arizona schools would be invited to join the Big 12. Utah and Colorado would also be invited to join the Big 12 as well. Keep in mind that BYU accepted an invitation to join the Big 12 already and will be competing in that conference in all sports in 2023. That would leave Oregon State and Washington State as the odd teams out.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JALMOND wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:17 am

Word on the street is that the Arizona schools would be invited to join the Big 12. Utah and Colorado would also be invited to join the Big 12 as well. Keep in mind that BYU accepted an invitation to join the Big 12 already and will be competing in that conference in all sports in 2023. That would leave Oregon State and Washington State as the odd teams out.
Two teams that probably didn’t belong in the P-12 anyways… :lol: Welcome to the Big Sky! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: They can replace Portland State and UNC.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:25 am

Two teams that probably didn’t belong in the P-12 anyways… :lol: Welcome to the Big Sky! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: They can replace Portland State and UNC.
Hey, Portland State would finally have a travel partner. :lol:

It was actually brought up by some Duck fans that they could join the Big Sky. The Mountain West would probably be the most logical. It would give that conference something to feel important about.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

:lol:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

So the Big 24? Heck, that’s too big. Might as split that into 2 conferences..
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Big 10 says yes to UCLA and USC, and tells Oregon and Washington they are "standing pat" until Notre Dame decides what they will do.

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:25 am We are going to be left with two meaningful conferences: B10 and SEC. Everyone else is just scrambling for scraps at this point.
This.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:25 am

:nod:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

HI54UNI wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:56 am :lol:
You can tell that one on the right likes it rough.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

We are hearing Notre Dame, Clemson, UNC are being considered. Good thing they changed their logo to B1G, that nobody in the general public gets anyway.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

This doesn't make sense unless the Big10 is planning on taking other West Coast schools. The Big 10 has always been a midwest/northeastern US conference. The nearest Big 10 school currently is Nebraska. Lincoln (in southeast Nebraska) is 1500 miles from LA. I realize football and mens' BB drive the bus, but for the other 30ish teams, every single away conference game (outside their crosstown rival) would be a 3-6 hour plane ride (3-5 hrs eastbound, 4-6ish return) sandwiched between bus rides. So for all those non revenue sports away conference games on weekend, they're maybe missing a day of class, and on mid week weekdays, 2-3. Clearly the academics take 2nd fiddle at these universities..
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

"Why don't you tell me what's going on?"

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:05 am This doesn't make sense unless the Big10 is planning on taking other West Coast schools. The Big 10 has always been a midwest/northeastern US conference. The nearest Big 10 school currently is Nebraska. Lincoln (in southeast Nebraska) is 1500 miles from LA. I realize football and mens' BB drive the bus, but for the other 30ish teams, every single away conference game (outside their crosstown rival) would be a 3-6 hour plane ride (3-5 hrs eastbound, 4-6ish return) sandwiched between bus rides. So for all those non revenue sports away conference games on weekend, they're maybe missing a day of class, and on mid week weekdays, 2-3. Clearly the academics take 2nd fiddle at these universities..
I've heard rumors that they want Oregon, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, North Carolina, Dook, and possibly Utah. The Big Ten specifically does NOT want Oregon State, though. Their penchant for playing to the level of the competition probably has something to do with that (and the reminders that what App did to Michigan could become a regular occurrence). That could be a sticking point for Oregon going. I haven't heard anything about Washington, though. They haven't been all that good recently, and neither has Wazzu, which could be a sticking point for taking Washington; like Oregon, Washington probably wouldn't go anywhere without Wazzu.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Heard Ducks and Huskies are on hold.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SuperHornet wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:36 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:05 am This doesn't make sense unless the Big10 is planning on taking other West Coast schools. The Big 10 has always been a midwest/northeastern US conference. The nearest Big 10 school currently is Nebraska. Lincoln (in southeast Nebraska) is 1500 miles from LA. I realize football and mens' BB drive the bus, but for the other 30ish teams, every single away conference game (outside their crosstown rival) would be a 3-6 hour plane ride (3-5 hrs eastbound, 4-6ish return) sandwiched between bus rides. So for all those non revenue sports away conference games on weekend, they're maybe missing a day of class, and on mid week weekdays, 2-3. Clearly the academics take 2nd fiddle at these universities..
I've heard rumors that they want Oregon, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, North Carolina, Dook, and possibly Utah. The Big Ten specifically does NOT want Oregon State, though. Their penchant for playing to the level of the competition probably has something to do with that (and the reminders that what App did to Michigan could become a regular occurrence). That could be a sticking point for Oregon going. I haven't heard anything about Washington, though. They haven't been all that good recently, and neither has Wazzu, which could be a sticking point for taking Washington; like Oregon, Washington probably wouldn't go anywhere without Wazzu.
24 team conference is too unwieldy. What do you have? 2 divisions of 8, or 3 divisions of 12? Guys could play 4-5 years at a school, and never face some of the other teams in a 24 team division. By that point, may as well split into 2 conferences of 12.

Now SEC and Big10 will be at 16. 16 you have 2 divisions
of 8, and for the 8 conferece games could play the other 7 teams in your division and 1 of the 8 in the other division. But that leaves some conference teams only playing once ever 8 years, unless you go to 9 conferece games.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

I didn't say it made sense, BDK. I just said I'd heard the rumors. Some of those are probably just padding for others dropping out. You're correct that it will become those two leagues and everyone else may as well come join us in FCS. It's horrible no matter how it pans out, though....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

I'm now seeing rumors of Arizona, Danny White University, Bill McCartney University, and Utah leaving the Pac-12 for the Big XII. That may have been what I was seeing last week, and I just conflated it with UCLA and U$C going to the Big Ten....

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:09 am
SuperHornet wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:36 pm

24 team conference is too unwieldy. What do you have? 2 divisions of 8, or 3 divisions of 12? Guys could play 4-5 years at a school, and never face some of the other teams in a 24 team division. By that point, may as well split into 2 conferences of 12.

Now SEC and Big10 will be at 16. 16 you have 2 divisions
of 8, and for the 8 conferece games could play the other 7 teams in your division and 1 of the 8 in the other division. But that leaves some conference teams only playing once ever 8 years, unless you go to 9 conferece games.
Not too unwieldy if you and the other conference are the only top ones. They'll have their own playoff/title game and everyone will tune in. :nod:

Scheduling wise they'll probably go to a pod system (think how the old WAC did) that will preserve key rivalries then rotate through the conference. With a conference that big, you go 10 "conference" games and 2 non-con with the other megaconference or the left overs in the garbage conferences. God I hope this happens.