All other college sports!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

P5 conference realignment.

Post by BDKJMU »

This has gotten ridiculous, changing literally daily. So as of now is this right? I can’t keep up..
-Texas and OU going from Big 12 to SEC.
-CO, AZ, AZ St, Utah going PAC 12 to Big 12
-UCLA, USC, WA, OR going Pac 12 to Big 10

Big 10 will be 18 (14 + 4)
SEC will be 16 (14 +2)
Big 12 14 (12-2 + 4)
ACC still 14
Pac 12 will now be the Pac 4 :lol: So PAC absorbs or merges with MWC?

Rumor: FSU amd Clemson might bolt for SEC, which would put SEC at 18, and the ACC at 12. Then the ACC would be looking to raid from amongst the AAC, SBC, C-USA…
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Re: P5 conference realignment.

Post by BDKJMU »

So either
-Going from 10 conferences to 9, which would mean there’s not going to be a P5 and a G5. Will soon be the P4, and G5, or the P5 and G4.
OR
-If most of the MWC goes to the PAC whatever, then this could open up the opportunity for NDSU/SDSU/Montana/Montana St etc to move up amd join what’s left of the MWC..

CFP goes to the top 6 conference Champs and 6 at large either way..
Last edited by BDKJMU on Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

They're ruining college football.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:33 pm This has gotten ridiculous, changing literally daily. So as of now is this right? I can’t keep up..

SEC will be 16 (14 +2)
Big 12 14 (12-2 + 4)
ACC still 14

Rumor: FSU amd Clemson might bolt for SEC, which would put SEC at 18, and the ACC at 12. Then the ACC would be looking to raid from amongst the AAC, SBC, C-USA…
FSU wants more money obviously.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:32 pm So either
-Going from 10 conferences to 9, which would mean there’s not going to be a P5 and a G5. Will soon be the P4, and G5, or the P5 and G4.
OR
-If most of the MWC goes to the PAC whatever, then this could open up the opportunity for NDSU/SDSU/Montana/Montana St etc to move up amd join what’s left of the MWC..

I think there’s a massive media buyout for MWC teams (up to $33 million) so it’s more likely as of now that at least a couple if not all of the remaining Pac 12’s will join the MWC.

With the Big 10’s FCS scheduling rule (no FCS unless 4 or less league home games) UW and Oregon won’t be scheduling FCS for now so there’s also that.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

A very good thread on the economics…

dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Texas A&M is thinking about leaving the SEC for the Pac-12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Wonder if there’s a meltdown in Bisonland realizing they might have missed the last lifeboat off the FCS Titanic..
https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-me ... -fbs-hopes
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:33 pm This has gotten ridiculous, changing literally daily. So as of now is this right? I can’t keep up..

SEC will be 16 (14 +2)
Big 12 14 (12-2 + 4)
ACC still 14

FSU wants more money
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

ACC Presidents Meet to Discuss Next Steps After Pac-12 Fractures, per Report

.....Could the conference look to poach some up-and-coming football brands from the Group of Five? Perhaps an addition like James Madison, a school that had a long track record of success at the FCS level until its recent elevation to the FBS could make some sense. Appalachian State has been one of the best college football brands in the Group of Five over the better part of the last decade. Geographically it would be in the conference’s footprint, and could add football value as well.....
https://www.si.com/college/2023/08/05/a ... -fractures

Ok, I see no chance of that now, but in 5-10 years after a stadium expansion to 35-40k...perhaps..
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:40 pm
ACC Presidents Meet to Discuss Next Steps After Pac-12 Fractures, per Report

.....Could the conference look to poach some up-and-coming football brands from the Group of Five? Perhaps an addition like James Madison, a school that had a long track record of success at the FCS level until its recent elevation to the FBS could make some sense. Appalachian State has been one of the best college football brands in the Group of Five over the better part of the last decade. Geographically it would be in the conference’s footprint, and could add football value as well.....
https://www.si.com/college/2023/08/05/a ... -fractures

Ok, I see no chance of that now, but in 5-10 years after a stadium expansion to 35-40k...perhaps..
Yep…right now it’s consolidation and sideways moves within the P5 rather than expansion.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

P5 conference realignment.

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:32 pm So either
OR

I think there’s a massive media buyout for MWC teams (up to $33 million) so it’s more likely as of now that at least a couple if not all of the remaining Pac 12’s will join the MWC.

With the Big 10’s FCS scheduling rule (no FCS unless 4 or less league home games) UW and Oregon won’t be scheduling FCS for now so there’s also that.
IMO the MWC buyout will keep teams from bailing but the PAC brand is bigger and they have a seat at the P5 table so a merger with the conference assuming the PAC name is much more likely.

I also don’t think we’re going to have just P and G levels. The B1G0 and SEC will be top tier. The Big XII and ACC if they survive will be next. The PAC/MWC will be next followed by the AAC and the remaining dwarves.

I don’t see any MWC opportunities for the bizumbs in the near future.

What does App St or JMU bring to the ACC in terms of markets or television sets? Their inclusion would just further alienate Florida St, Clemson, Miami, NC, etc. and cause the conference to implode. What remains of the AAC would be no better than the PAC/MWC.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:25 pm
kalm wrote:

IMO the MWC buyout will keep teams from bailing but the PAC brand is bigger and they have a seat at the P5 table so a merger with the conference assuming the PAC name is much more likely.

I also don’t think we’re going to have just P and G levels. The B1G0 and SEC will be top tier. The Big XII and ACC if they survive will be next. The PAC/MWC will be next followed by the AAC and the remaining dwarves.

What does App St or JMU bring to the ACC in terms of markets or television sets? Their inclusion would just further alienate Florida St, Clemson, Miami, NC, etc. and cause the conference to implode. What remains of the AAC would be no better than the PAC/MWC.
Yep. My take too.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Saw an article proposing that the American would make a play for the Pac-4. This isn't expected to be a serious play, though, but one that will push the Mountain West into merging with the Pac-4. But the same article also mentioned that not all current MWC teams are expected to last through the proposed merger: Hawai'i, San Jose State, and Nevada might have to go back to the WAC, as NONE of them have the wherewithal to endure as indies. But the MWC doesn't seem to be taking all of this all that seriously at the present point in time.

There is also speculation that SD State might head to the Big XII now that their Pac-12 dreams are essentially done....

Could we possibly see Nevada back in the Big Sky? Surely not, right?

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote:

JMU, ASU, or other G5s would only get ACC looks if Clempson and FSU bolt for the SEC, which has been rumored to be a possibility. Then the ACC will be looking to add at least 2 teams..

JMU would bring some of the DC market. More of it than UVA does..In terms of number of DC area alumni from FBS schools, Maryland is tops, but they are Big 10. Next is probably VT. Next probably JMU, which is fringe DC/NOVA market (125 miles) (Harrisonburg carries DC TV stations)..

JMU is AT LEAST 5 years and a completed stadium expansion away from even being considered. But again, I'm not wearing purple shades-JMU in the P5 or equiv is probably only a 50/50 proposition in my lifetime..There are those on the JMU board who would put a much higher chance..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

One crazy rumor I've heard is Cal & Stanford to the ACC... :suspicious:

But then you could no longer call it the ATLANTIC Coast Conference.

‘Bicoastal’ means both coasts..
You have transatlantic flights crossing the Atlantic & transcontinental flights crossing the continental US.

So if you had a ‘_______ Coast Conference’ on both coasts, it would have to be one of the below:
-The ‘BiCoastal Conference’ (BC or BCC).
-The ‘TransCoastal Conference’ (TC or TCC).
-The ‘Atlantic Pacific Coast Conference’ (APCC) (Pacific-Atlantic Coast Conferece (PACC) wouldn’t work with a PAC-___# conference)..
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:56 am One crazy rumor I've heard is Cal & Stanford to the ACC... :suspicious:

You have transatlantic flights crossing the Atlantic & transcontinental flights crossing the continental US.

So if you had a ‘_______ Coast Conference’ on both coasts, it would have to be one of the below:
-The ‘Atlantic Pacific Coast Conference’ (APCC) (Pacific-Atlantic Coast Conferece (PACC) wouldn’t work with a PAC-___# conference)..
It could go either way with bi-coastal.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:25 pm IMO the MWC buyout will keep teams from bailing but the PAC brand is bigger and they have a seat at the P5 table so a merger with the conference assuming the PAC name is much more likely.

JMU, ASU, or other G5s would only get ACC looks if Clempson and FSU bolt for the SEC, which has been rumored to be a possibility. Then the ACC will be looking to add at least 2 teams..

JMU would bring some of the DC market. More of it than UVA does..In terms of number of DC area alumni from FBS schools, Maryland is tops, but they are Big 10. Next is probably VT. Next probably JMU, which is fringe DC/NOVA market (125 miles) (Harrisonburg carries DC TV stations)..

JMU is AT LEAST 5 years and a completed stadium expansion away from even being considered. But again, I'm not wearing purple shades-JMU in the P5 or equiv is probably only a 50/50 proposition in my lifetime..There are those on the JMU board who would put a much higher chance..
App State, JMU or similar to the ACC would drive NC, Miami and possibly others out the door. If that happens the ACC is no more P5 than the PAC is after a merger with the MWC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:56 am One crazy rumor I've heard is Cal & Stanford to the ACC... :suspicious:

It could go either way with bi-coastal.
Would teams from a bi or trans coastal conference be allowed to play games in Florida?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:35 am
BDKJMU wrote: JMU, ASU, or other G5s would only get ACC looks if Clempson and FSU bolt for the SEC, which has been rumored to be a possibility. Then the ACC will be looking to add at least 2 teams..

App State, JMU or similar to the ACC would drive NC, Miami and possibly others out the door. If that happens the ACC is no more P5 than the PAC is after a merger with the MWC.

Well if FSU amd Clempson bolt for the SEC, what does the ACC do then?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

PAC X screwed themselves last year by rejecting a substantial ESPN deal..

TV networks made small Pac-12 bids last week
https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/A ... media.aspx
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:

I think the Big 12 is surprisingly surviving pretty well in this - I wouldn't necessarily throw them is as a second class conference. Decent football in there - getting Utah in the Pac-12 demise was a good pickup - and they probably are the best basketball conference right now. Certainly football drives the bus, but basketball is still a pretty good thing as well. ACC is really up against it right now - how do they avoid the fate that befell the Pac-12?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:39 am

What does App St or JMU bring to the ACC in terms of markets or television sets? Their inclusion would just further alienate Florida St, Clemson, Miami, NC, etc. and cause the conference to implode. What remains of the ACC would be no better than the PAC/MWC.
I think the Big 12 is surprisingly surviving pretty well in this - I wouldn't necessarily throw them is as a second class conference. Decent football in there - getting Utah in the Pac-12 demise was a good pickup - and they probably are the best basketball conference right now. Certainly football drives the bus, but basketball is still a pretty good thing as well. ACC is really up against it right now - how do they avoid the fate that befell the Pac-12?
Good points. Things turned out rosy for the Big XII compared to the way things looked when Oklahoma and Texas announced their departure.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:28 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:35 am

Well if FSU amd Clempson bolt for the SEC, what does the ACC do then?
I think they look at schools like South Florida, SMU and Memphis before they look at Sun Belt schools.