Collegiate Rugby

All other college sports!
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Collegiate Rugby

Post by UNI88 »

UNI may have wet the bed and lost to the bizumbs to miss the playoffs but our rugby team bear Montana State to advance to the Final Four!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Collegiate Rugby

Post by dbackjon »

Congrats!
:thumb:
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

It's great to see the mens team doing so well. The women's team has been a national power - champion, runner-up, semi-finalist, etc. for a couple decades now.

I know the head coach very well - hung out all the time when I lived in Cedar Falls - and he's a great dude.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Good luck!
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

clenz wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:34 am It's great to see the mens team doing so well. The women's team has been a national power - champion, runner-up, semi-finalist, etc. for a couple decades now.

I know the head coach very well - hung out all the time when I lived in Cedar Falls - and he's a great dude.

Is Suds still the rugby bar? Place never needed bouncers when I was in school. Anyone who started any trouble would have to face a bunch of angry rugby players.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

How does collegiate rugby work? I saw that Navy is undefeated this year, won Rugby East (or whatever it's called), but they aren't in the playoffs. I assume by choice?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:04 am How does collegiate rugby work? I saw that Navy is undefeated this year, won Rugby East (or whatever it's called), but they aren't in the playoffs. I assume by choice?
rugby is strange in that there are a bunch of difference levels - NCAA, club, non-club association, etc. so it depends on what they are in

Almost none of the top/best programs actually want to be in the NCAA-sanctioned sports side of things because it limits who you can play, when/where you can play, etc. Most of the best programs go through club setups and various regional associations.

UNI tried to make women's an NCAA sport years ago to help with Title IX and the coach at the time - Steve Murra who was known world wide for his success as a coach and player (coached UNI, a national womens team, international teams, etc.) refused because it would end up hurting the program. Yes it meant they had to continue to pay for their own uniforms, travel, ask for help for funding bigger trips, etc. but it actually made them a better program because of it.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:23 pm
clenz wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:34 am It's great to see the mens team doing so well. The women's team has been a national power - champion, runner-up, semi-finalist, etc. for a couple decades now.

Is Suds still the rugby bar? Place never needed bouncers when I was in school. Anyone who started any trouble would have to face a bunch of angry rugby players.
I haven't been in a while, but given the coach of the women's team played for Steve Murra (who is the reason Suds was the hang out) and the men's coach also played for Steve in various clubs I would have to image Suds is still the place.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

clenz wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:42 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:23 pm :thumb:

I haven't been in a while, but given the coach of the women's team played for Steve Murra (who is the reason Suds was the hang out) and the men's coach also played for Steve in various clubs I would have to image Suds is still the place.
Suds was the rugby hangout before Steve graduated high school.

Joe owned Suds in the mid-80's and was a big rugby supporter. Rhino bought it from Joe or another owner. Rhino started playing rugby there about the time I graduated. I didn't know him but I heard that he passed away about 3 weeks ago.