Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Power Rankings 10-25

Post by JALMOND »

Leaves are falling and the temperatures are getting colder and the games are beginning to count more than earlier. Some teams are hoping to get a seed in the playoffs and some are trying just to get there. Either way, it is getting down the stretch where all games are important and even the good teams need to bring their best game to beat the bottom teams. Here are this week's power rankings in the Big Sky (last week's rankings in parenthesis). A new team at the top and we'll see how long they last. All are my opinion only as usual.

1. Montana State (2)---Last week beat Idaho State at home 27-9, this week bye---Is there truly a new sheriff ruling the roost in the conference? The Bobcats have remained consistent all season with a strong defense and a great offense that has them undefeated in the conference. They are at the top this week and have a week off before starting the home stretch.

2. Sacramento State (3)---Last week beat Northern Arizona at home 44-0, this week at Northern Colorado---The other team that is undefeated in conference play are the Hornets who looked like gang-busters in their win. The rest of the schedule looks easy on paper up to their rivalry game the last week of the season, but they can't afford to overlook anyone who might surprise them.

3. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week lost to Weber State at home 35-34, this week bye---The high flying Eagles took one on the chin last week, falling at home to the Wildcats. Perhaps they were looking past this game to their showdown with the Bobcats in two weeks, a perfect example that teams cannot just go through the motions right now. They do get a week off before resuming their season.

4. Montana (5)---Last week won at Idaho 34-14, this week Southern Utah at home---The Grizzlies breathed new life into their season with a good road conference win last week. Hopefully no more surprises on the horizon for them. This week, they bring in one of the cellar dwellers of the conference in what should be an easy win. But this part of the season, no win can be expected if they don't show up.

5. UC Davis (4)---Last week won at Cal Poly 24-13, this week bye---Aside from the minor hiccup against Idaho State, the Aggies have been taking care of business including knocking off the Mustangs on the road last week. They are also taking this week off to focus on a tough schedule the rest of the way. If they win out, they could be looking at a very favorable spot in the playoffs.

6. Weber State (6)---Last week won at Eastern Washington 35-34, this week at Idaho State---Almost given up for dead, the Wildcats slowed down the potent Eagle offense and got a strong conference road win, and kept their playoffs hopes alive. They still have a long road to go and with no room for error. They head out on the road again to face off against their bitter rivals, They need to bring it once more.

7. Northern Arizona (7)---Last week lost at Sacramento State 44-0, this week at Idaho---Any playoff hope for the Lumberjacks came crashing down to earth last week with a bad performance on the road. They can still close with a strong performance the rest of the year, but it won't be easy. They head out to the Vandals' barn this week to try to turn things around.

8. Idaho (8)---Last week lost to Montana at home 34-14, this week Northern Arizona at home---Hoping to put a big nail in one of their rival's season, the Vandals ran into a team that was more determined than they were. Dropping games at home is not going to get the job done. They get another home conference game this week against another reeling team.

9. Portland State (9)---Last week bye, this week Cal Poly at home---With all the carnage around them, the Vikings seem to have picked a good weekend to be off. Hoping to salvage the season, turn it around and build for next year, they have a tough schedule coming up. Things are relatively easy this weekend then they get more difficult, but the Vikings can't overlook anyone right now.

10. Northern Colorado (11)---Last week won at Southern Utah 17-9, this week Sacramento State at home---If the Bears' defense can keep the opposition from scoring a bunch of points, that gives their offense a chance to win. The problem is the offenses in the conference are pretty explosive so holding them down is a big challenge. Another high powered offense comes to town this weekend.

11. Idaho State (10)---Last week lost at Montana State 27-9, this week Weber State at home---The Bengals actually looked fine last weekend as they just ran into a better team than they are at this point. They are also in a rough stretch in their schedule, but it always helps when you need a big win, to have your rivals come and play, especially in your house.

12. Cal Poly (12)---Last week lost to UC Davis at home 24-13, this week at Portland State---Another week, another loss for the Mustangs but a better showing this time as they didn't make it easy for their opponent. This week, they go back on the road for a tussle with the Vikings. This is a winnable game for the Mustangs, but they need to show up and get it done.

13. Southern Utah (13)---Last week lost to Northern Colorado at home 17-9, this week at Montana---Woe are the Thunderbirds! They had what was probably their last decent chance at a win last week and they couldn't get it. Now a tough was to end their final conference season is starting. Can they surprise any of their heavy opponents and get another conference win?

RECAP: 1-2 out front, 3-6 gaining, 7-10 fading, 11-13 off the pace.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 10-25

Post by SDHornet »

Weebs doesn't move up after beating the team atop the power rankings? :?

I'd swap them with montucky. No arguments on any of the other rankings.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:25 pm Weebs doesn't move up after beating the team atop the power rankings? :?

Weber's the best 4-loss team in the nation, but they're still 3-4.

I don't think he should've put Montana ahead of Davis, though.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:00 pm
SDHornet wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:25 pm Weebs doesn't move up after beating the team atop the power rankings? :?

Yeah but no movement for knocking off the top team...like not even one spot?
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:24 pm
Mvemjsunpx wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:00 pm

Yeah but no movement for knocking off the top team...like not even one spot?
They were so far behind the top-5 coming in that I don't think so.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

I tried to, but I couldn't. Weber got a continuance on their season with the win but they still have 4 losses. I think it is too early, even with the win at EWU, to move them into the top 5. Davis has 1 loss but it is an ugly loss (at Idaho State). Montana has 2 losses, but their losses are to teams that are ahead of them (no ugly losses). Plus, winning at Idaho is more difficult than winning at Poly (edge Montana) and Davis did not really pull away from the Mustangs (again, edge Montana). I actually had Davis ahead of Montana after the games Saturday, but then taking those things into account, I bumped the Griz ahead of the Aggies.

I really do think 3-6 are pretty even at this point, and one could make a good argument for putting them in any order.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Fair points by both of you, I just think it's a big enough win (on the road to boot) to garner movement. If weebs loses then they are knocked back down to where they came.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Looking at those rankings, I'd put Sac #1. MSU's schedule to date is just so damned soft...
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I think a better top post alignment might be:

1. MSU
2. Sac
3. EWU
4. UC Davis
5. Weber State
6. Montana

It's hard to say for sure, though. The pieces are very fluid right now. Beyond #6, though, they're not even close....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
catbooster
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by catbooster »

I think it's generous to refer to our offense as "great". They have potential, but I'd just say it's a good offense right now. I think the stats are inflated due to our schedule so far.
grizzcabin

Post by grizzcabin »

I don't know if would put MSU that high. They ony played one team with a winning record 4-3 Wyoming and than the bottom half of the bigsky
Kadeezy
I am a fan of: Sacramento State

Post by Kadeezy »

I’ve got:

SAC
MSU
EWU
UCD
UM
WEB
NAU
PSU
ISU
CP
UNC
ID
SUU
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:59 am I think a better top post alignment might be:

1. MSU
2. Sac
3. EWU
4. UC Davis
5. Weber State
6. Montana

It's hard to say for sure, though. The pieces are very fluid right now. Beyond #6, though, they're not even close....
I’m sorry, but any loss to Idaho State automatically invalidates being in the top six of any conference.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:45 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:59 am I think a better top post alignment might be:

1. MSU
2. Sac
3. EWU
4. UC Davis
5. Weber State
6. Montana

I’m sorry, but any loss to Idaho State automatically invalidates being in the top six of any conference.
This is true.
catbooster
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by catbooster »

1. MSU
2. Sac
3. EWU
4. UC Davis
5. Weber State
6. Montana

Yep. That's almost as bad as only beating Southern Utah by 1 at home.

;)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

1. MSU
2. Sac
3. EWU
4. UC Davis
5. Weber State
6. Montana

Lance from the podcast reminded me that the last Griz team to make the chipper was a blocked field goal away from losing to the Bengals.

NDSU list to a bad USD at home during one of its runs.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

kalm wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:32 pm

Lance from the podcast reminded me that the last Griz team to make the chipper was a blocked field goal away from losing to the Bengals.
The Griz made a last-second FG to beat winless Idaho State in 2009.

The Griz blocked a FG to beat ISU in 2004. The Griz then beat EWU on a blocked FG a week later.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:56 pm

The Griz blocked a FG to beat ISU in 2004. The Griz then beat EWU on a blocked FG a week later.
Thank you. At least I was close… :mrgreen:
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Post by uofmman1122 »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:56 pm

Someone tried to compare this team to the 2004 one, which I think only makes sense if you just look at the fact that they lost 2 games (so far lol).

The comparison stops when you realize they had 2 NFL RBs, the best OL in the Big Sky, and one of the best QBs in the history of the program on the 2004 team and....uhhhhh....not that on this year's team. :lol: