A.K.A.: SE174

Re: ESPN article on EWU's red turf

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:
JMU DJ wrote:

:nod:

It's over Urpus. Sept. 18th.
i know.

Don't know if anybody else has noticed this but...If UM has a streak over EWU in the past 10 yrs. it doesn't mean anything about next year. If EWU has a streak over the Cats then it is all you need to know. :thumb:

Fucking beautiful boys. :lol:
Truer words have never been spoken. :thumb:
JMU DJ
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Leeeeeeroy Jeeeenkins

Post by JMU DJ »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
Ursus A. Horribilis wrote: i know.

Don't know if anybody else has noticed this but...If UM has a streak over EWU in the past 10 yrs. it doesn't mean anything about next year. If EWU has a streak over the Cats then it is all you need to know. :thumb:

Fucking beautiful boys. :lol:

Erroneous and egregious

[youtube][/youtube]
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches

JMU DJ wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:

Erroneous and egregious

[youtube][/youtube]
Quit trying to interject with your summary of JMU's season last year. :coffee:
JMU DJ
Level4
Level4

Post by JMU DJ »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:

The only thing I'm interjecting is myself on the EWU bandwagon. Taipei Jones is going to QB us to Frisco! :twocents:
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

JMU DJ wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:

The only thing I'm interjecting is myself on the EWU bandwagon. Taipei Jones is going to QB us to Frisco! :twocents:
:roll: :lol:
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

EWURanger wrote:
GOKATS wrote:

There're 2 or 3 of you guys whose heads are going to implode when you get thumped this year. Unfortunately the Bobcats wont be able to do it on the 'rag rug' this year, we'll do it in our house.
Hey, as long as you believe that, it's all that matters. :thumb:
Just for the record, I think MSU has a great program, and is usually one of the best in the conference. And if MSU beats us next year, I'll be the first to get on here and congratulate all the MSU fans.

That said, you might want to pipe down a little. EWU is now 25-8 all-time versus MSU, including 7 straight and 9 of the last 11. :ohno: So, for whatever the reason, the reality is that this is traditionally a very hard game for MSU to win. You're due for a "W", but I just don't see it happening next year.
GOKATS
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by GOKATS »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
GOKATS wrote:

There're 2 or 3 of you guys whose heads are going to implode when you get thumped this year. Unfortunately the Bobcats wont be able to do it on the 'rag rug' this year, we'll do it in our house.
Just like in '06, huh? EWU had just graduated Payton winner Erik Meyer along with 16 starters. EWU comes to Bozomen, etc etc. :roll:

That's what you guys said last year. Was it you, or FTG'06 who virtually guaranteed me that MSU would win, and that there was NO WAY that EWU would put more than 24 points on the Cats in '09? :rofl:

P.S.
7-straight. :lol:
Yep, the flu bug really hit us that game, but the Cats still dominated. We missed out on at least 13 easy points because neither our kicker nor punter/backup kicker made the trip.

Shit happens and you got a gift, it won't happen this year.
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter

Post by EWURanger »

GOKATS wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote: Just like in '06, huh? EWU had just graduated Payton winner Erik Meyer along with 16 starters. EWU comes to Bozomen, etc etc. :roll:

That's what you guys said last year. Was it you, or FTG'06 who virtually guaranteed me that MSU would win, and that there was NO WAY that EWU would put more than 24 points on the Cats in '09? :rofl:

P.S.
7-straight. :lol:
Yep, the flu bug really hit us that game, but the Cats still dominated. We missed out on at least 13 easy points because neither our kicker nor punter/backup kicker made the trip.

**** happens and you got a gift, it won't happen this year.
Yeah, you kicked our asses in the first half of that game, but your defense let you down in that one. Nichols 327 yards passing, 4 td's, Jones 12 attempts, 55 yards, 6 receptions, 150 yards, 2 td's. Hardly dominating, at least from a defensive stand-point.

If the flu-bug was the reason you lost last year, what's the reason behind the 6 previous years before that?
JMU DJ
Level4
Level4

Post by JMU DJ »

EWURanger wrote:
If the flu-bug was the reason you lost last year, what's the reason behind the 6 previous years before that?
Sandy Vaginitis?
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

JMU DJ wrote:
EWURanger wrote:
Sandy Vaginitis?
:lol: :lol:
Mountaineer
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Mountaineer »

With Addition of New Turf, a New Name for Eastern’s Football Field

After 73 years, Eastern Washington University’s Woodward Field name will be replaced upon the stadium’s change to red synthetic turf

Back when Woodward Field was first named in 1937, synthetic turf was still some 30 years away from existence -- and 73 years from being produced in red.

With the impending installation of red synthetic turf that included a $500,000 contribution made by Michael and Katherine Roos, Eastern Washington University’s football field in Cheney, Wash., will be re-named to “Roos Field” this fall. The turf project is expected to commence this summer upon successful completion of the fundraising effort on behalf of the initiative.

Eastern made the announcement following naming approval by the EWU Board of Trustees that is contingent upon project completion. The Board of Trustees commended the Roos family’s philanthropic efforts on behalf of Eastern and the community through the Michael Roos Foundation. A former Eagle student-athlete, Roos is a starting left offensive tackle for the Tennessee Titans in the National Football League, and has started every Titans game in his five-year career. Roos excelled in the classroom as well, graduating with a double major in finance and economics.

“We are thrilled to be able to acknowledge in this manner the incredible contributions Michael and Katherine have made to Eastern Washington University,” said Eastern athletic director Bill Chaves. “We felt this was the most appropriate honor we could give them, but at the same time, we regard highly the legacy left by Mr. Woodward. Regardless of the name change, we will permanently remember the Woodward family at our stadium.”

A plaque commemorating the 73 years Eastern’s football stadium has been named Woodward Field will be placed on the wall of the Donor Suites and Media Center at the stadium. The stadium originally was located where EWU’s library now stands, but was moved to its present site in 1967.

The stadium was named for Arthur C. Woodward, who was Eastern’s head football coach in 1927 and 1928. More importantly, Woodward was head of Eastern’s department of physical education and health for 23 years from 1927 to 1950. He was insistent that every interested student should have the opportunity to engage in competitive sports through intramural activities. He endeared himself to students, and, as a result, Woodward Field was named in his honor in 1937.

Woodward also established the physical education program at North Central High School in Spokane. During World War I, he was in charge of physical fitness work for the Navy in the Puget Sound area, and spent eight years as director of physical and health education for Tacoma public schools. Woodward passed away of a heart attack on Feb. 2, 1950, just a short time after attending a convocation and rally honoring the Eastern basketball team.

His son, Cheney native Dave Woodward, is 85 and now living in Pueblo, Colo. Dave went on to become a pioneer in scuba diving and in April 2009, was given the International Legends of Diving Award in Freeport, Grand Bahamas for his 54-year diving career. His start in that endeavor began after his father gave him a pair of new swim fins that were provided by the Voit Rubber Company, and he tried them out in the pool located in the basement of Eastern’s Showalter Hall.

“While the idea does bring a bit of sadness, I do understand,” said Dave Woodward in an e-mail to Chaves. “My father was a great person and a great asset to the University. The fact that stadium carried his name for so long emphasizes that.”

Chaves hopes to have Dave Woodward return to EWU for the dedication of Roos Field at a date to be determined.

http://goeags.com/genrel/releases/10atMay20RoosField

A five-hundred thousand dollar donation for red turf is all it takes to wipe out a historical name of 73 years? Eeesh. Why not just change it to Roos Field at Woodward Stadium?
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

A five-hundred thousand dollar donation for red turf is all it takes to wipe out a historical name of 73 years? Eeesh. Why not just change it to Roos Field at Woodward Stadium?

Agreed, Mountaineer
:thumb:
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

thats the same thing i thought. I dont like the stadium being call 'x field' 'X STADIUM' sounds better.\

Roos field @ Woodward Stadium would be *PERFECT* :ohno:
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

BlackFalkin wrote:thats the same thing i thought. I dont like the stadium being call 'x field' 'X STADIUM' sounds better.\

+1

Yeah, it doesn't make a whole lotta sense, other than the obvious... Roos is valuable financial asset to the University that I'm sure they want to keep joined at the wallet. :coffee:

But hey, we're giving Woodward a plaque. :roll:
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
BlackFalkin wrote:thats the same thing i thought. I dont like the stadium being call 'x field' 'X STADIUM' sounds better.\

+1

Yeah, it doesn't make a whole lotta sense, other than the obvious... Roos is valuable financial asset to the University that I'm sure they want to keep joined at the wallet. :coffee:

But hey, we're giving Woodward a plaque. :roll:
I don't understand the thinking either. You guys all have the same thought I do on it. Why act like there is only one asset for sale as far as the naming when you could actually have two? That ain't nothin' new as most schools already do that.
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter

Post by EWURanger »

Agreed 100 percent. We had this conversation over on our board. Why they did not just make it "Roos Field" at "Woodward Field" completely escapes me. I don't have a major drama with the name change, but it might kind of send the wrong message.

For the record, though, I don't think it's just the donation he made towards the stadium that prompted the name change. Probably that, plus the scholarships and other stuff he's done.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

When are we upgrading Stuckey Court? 8-)
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

JMU DJ wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
Haha, just came across this:

Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter