Football Championship Subdivision discussions
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Re: The New Big Sky Conference

Post by uofmman1122 »

SloStang wrote:I bet they keep CP and UCD together.

CP: UCD & NAU
UCD: CP & Sac State
SAC: CP & PSU
How can this even work?

Sac is UCD's rival, but UCD isn't Sac's rival? CP is UCD and Sac's rivals, but also NAU's rival?

Pretty sure that would mess up everything.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

uofmman1122 wrote:

How can this even work?

Sac is UCD's rival, but UCD isn't Sac's rival? CP is UCD and Sac's rivals, but also NAU's rival?

I aligned the rivals how I see them being matched up based on proximity and tradition. There's an easy fix then.

EWU: UM & PSU
UM: MSU & EWU
MSU: UM & UND
PSU: EWU & UCD --> EWU & SAC
ISU: WSU & UNC
NAU: SUU & CP
UNC: UND & ISU
UND: MSU & UNC
WSU: SUU & ISU
SUU: NAU & WSU
SAC: UCD & CP --> UCD & PSU
UCD: SAC & PSU --> SAC & CP
CP: SAC & NAU --> UCD & NAU
bojeta
I am a fan of: Cal Poly
A.K.A.: Mustangs

Post by bojeta »

And my condolences on the 4 home schedule. That sucks! I was bummed when we only had 5 home games this season. Actually, we only have 3 confirmed home games for 2011. I'm pretty sure we'll wind up with 5 again. Playing two FBS teams in one season will do that to you.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

bojeta wrote:And my condolences on the 4 home schedule. That sucks! I was bummed when we only had 5 home games this season. Actually, we only have 3 confirmed home games for 2011. I'm pretty sure we'll wind up with 5 again. Playing two FBS teams in one season will do that to you.
Thanks, but it gets worse. Just found out that our AD Chaves is making the PSU game in Seattle again, as we've played a game in Seattle the last two years. So only THREE home games in Cheney. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
:ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
SloStang
Level2
Level2

Post by SloStang »

uofmman1122 wrote:

How can this even work?

Typing to fast.

Sac: UCD and PSU
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Herky wrote:
Hansel wrote:

I beleive he is referring to research

MSU
http://www.montana.edu/cpa/news/nwview.php?article=3487" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Montana is considered a tier lower
Correct, I was referring to research. And, I was pointing out something to SH.

Like I said, both UM and MSU are great institutions.
Ahh the US New rankings. I love how Montana is 17th in the nation and fifth among public universities in producing Rhodes Scholars, but yet apparently is rather lacking in everything but that when you read their reviews.

Where my point ties in, is that The U of M is a liberal arts school. Not a research based school. They will never have a ton on research based grants.

Interesting note. When I was in school and they first came out with the 3 drug cocktail that was supposed to be the cure for HIV, U of M had been studying feline immunovirus and said the cocktail wouldn't work. When The U of M presented that data, they were blown off because nobody believed anyone who was studying FIV couldn't possibly be correct.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
bojeta
A.K.A.: Mustangs

Post by bojeta »

I think most if not all the schools in the Big Sky are and will be excellent academic institutions. You don't have to be a Ph.D. program school to be excellent; just do what you do well. This is one of many articles that have come out lately regarding Cal Poly (From the Wall Street Journal Sept 13, 2010) :

California Polytechnic State University
"[Students] learn by doing … lots of labs which gives practical experience making them more ready for on the job work."
" This school offers a solid 'hands on' lab environment along with the academic development."
"Cal Poly is our top school preference because of the quality of the career center staff, the caliber of students… Lastly, the students are required to apply their skills in the business environment through their Senior Project and also internships, which are tied to academic credit and graduation requirements."

Also ranked by the Wall Street Journal in the Top 25, public or private in: Business, Computer Sci and Engineering.
http://online.wsj.com/public/page/ranki ... ajors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife and I are both Cal Poly grads: Business and Economics for me and Education for her. After graduating from Cal Poly, Magna Cum Laude, our daughter received a Fellowship to UC Davis' doctoral program in Entomology. It is the top ranked program in the nation. So, Davis too as most know, is a top notch institution.
Skoal
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by Skoal »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
bojeta wrote:And my condolences on the 4 home schedule. That sucks! I was bummed when we only had 5 home games this season. Actually, we only have 3 confirmed home games for 2011. I'm pretty sure we'll wind up with 5 again. Playing two FBS teams in one season will do that to you.
Thanks, but it gets worse. Just found out that our AD Chaves is making the PSU game in Seattle again, as we've played a game in Seattle the last two years. So only THREE home games in Cheney. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
:ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
That is the dumbest thing the AD could do. Coming off a championship season when fan interest should be at it's highest. I guess they don't want to attract new fans, sell season tickets, and build on last year accomplishments. :thumbdown:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Skoal wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
That is the dumbest thing the AD could do. Coming off a championship season when fan interest should be at it's highest. I guess they don't want to attract new fans, sell season tickets, and build on last year accomplishments. :thumbdown:
PSU is in Cheney.
biobengal
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Bengals... Black Bears

Post by biobengal »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote: I aligned the rivals how I see them being matched up based on proximity and tradition. There's an easy fix then.

Easy fix? Hardly, the whole damn thing is F'd up. Tell me, how did the majority of Big Sky schools benefit from the new additions? ISU's rivals are WSU and UNC.... are you serious? Several BSC programs are closer than UNC.... Montana, Montana State, Southern Utah. By the way, ISU has played Montana State a total of 74 times in football, not a small number.
SloStang
Level2
Level2

Post by SloStang »

biobengal wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote: I aligned the rivals how I see them being matched up based on proximity and tradition. There's an easy fix then.

Easy fix? Hardly, the whole damn thing is F'd up. Tell me, how did the majority of Big Sky schools benefit from the new additions? ISU's rivals are WSU and UNC.... are you serious? Several BSC programs are closer than UNC.... Montana, Montana State, Southern Utah. By the way, ISU has played Montana State a total of 74 times in football, not a small number.
Slow down there. Those are Screaming_Eagle74's picks for rivals, not the Big Sky's.

How is the majority of the Big Sky benifit???? I think the Big Sky is protecting themselve from possible loss of teams to either an FBS conference or a school(s) dropping football. My bet is in the next three to five years you will see a few teams leaving the Big Sky.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

biobengal wrote:

Easy there tiger. Perhaps a little reading comprehension is in order for you. As SloStang mentioned, those are my projections of how I think the the rivals will be matched up based on history and proximity. This is going off what bisoncitysioux said:
Brian Faison (UND's athletic director) also apparently mentioned that there will some sort of rivals designation, guaranteeing annual games with two of the same opponents. According to the poster, North Dakota's rivals will be Montana St. and Northern Colorado. Montana State's will be Montana and North Dakota. I didn't here the interview, so I'm just repeating what was posted.
UND's addition really fucks everything up geographically if they're going to designate only two rivals that each team plays every year. Since one of MSU's rivals is automatically going to be UM, they made UND the other since they are the closest geographic school to the Sioux (if not then the second closest behind UNC, UND's other designated rival... allegedly). EWU's tradition of giving UM a great game and also being virtually the same distance away from Missoula as Bozeman makes us their other likely rival. You're welcome to look at a map of where the schools reside and propose a better resolution. :coffee:
bincitysioux
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: North Dakota

Post by bincitysioux »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
biobengal wrote:
HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's bincity, not bisoncity.......................... ;)

And I can now confirm that it will be 8 conference games with each team having two "rivalry" opponents that they will be guaranteed to play each year.

The basketball schedule is not necessarily set yet, but they are apparently leaning toward full round-robin 20 conference game play..............
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

bincitysioux wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's bincity, not bisoncity.......................... ;)

And I can now confirm that it will be 8 conference games with each team having two "rivalry" opponents that they will be guaranteed to play each year.

The basketball schedule is not necessarily set yet, but they are apparently leaning toward full round-robin 20 conference game play..............
Sure thing, bisoncitysioux! :thumb:
ArmyOfDarkness
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: UofM

Post by ArmyOfDarkness »

biobengal wrote:

I'm fine with it. Not having to think about losing players every down to the concrete in Holt = less stress = less beer intake = less lbs gained. It's like a revolutionary new diet plan :D
Well hello Mister Fancypants. I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things right now: Jack and sh¡t... and Jack left town. - Ash
cats2506
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: MSU Bobcats

Post by cats2506 »

ArmyOfDarkness wrote:
biobengal wrote:
I'm fine with it. Not having to think about losing players every down to the concrete in Holt = less stress = less beer intake = less lbs gained. It's like a revolutionary new diet plan :D
Holt is getting new turf this year, should be like NAU now. UND still has shitty carpet on concrete though I believe.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

However it works out, I want cal-davis and CP to be on the schedule every year. :nod:
bincitysioux
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: North Dakota

Post by bincitysioux »

cats2506 wrote:Holt is getting new turf this year, should be like NAU now. UND still has shitty carpet on concrete though I believe.
North Dakota is supposedly getting new turf next year as well.................
cats2506
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: MSU Bobcats

Post by cats2506 »

bincitysioux wrote:
cats2506 wrote:Holt is getting new turf this year, should be like NAU now. UND still has shitty carpet on concrete though I believe.
North Dakota is supposedly getting new turf next year as well.................
Good to hear :thumb:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

SDHornet wrote:However it works out, I want cal-davis and CP to be on the schedule every year. :nod:
While I would accept UCD-PSU, I would PREFER either UCD-WSU or UCD-CP. They better not screw us with UND....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

SuperHornet wrote:
SDHornet wrote:However it works out, I want cal-davis and CP to be on the schedule every year. :nod:
While I would accept UCD-PSU, I would PREFER either UCD-WSU or UCD-CP. They better not screw us with UND....
I'm pretty sure that won't happen, since it's pretty much the largest travel distance between any 2 teams in the new Big Sky.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Venus: That's logical, but since when has logic ruled in ANYTHING the NCAA has ever done? Just look at those stupid division names in the Big Whatever-They-Are-Now....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

SuperHornet wrote:Venus: That's logical, but since when has logic ruled in ANYTHING the NCAA has ever done? Just look at those stupid division names in the Big Whatever-They-Are-Now....
The NCAA isn't naming the conferences SH. You are not a shining example of logic my friend.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

Seems like its getting more likely the WAC will merge with another conference, possibly the BSC. FBS & FCS football divisions. Lots of competition, unique league. Its a good idea.
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
nwFL Griz
Level1
Level1
A.K.A.: nwFL Griz

Post by nwFL Griz »

JBB wrote:Seems like its getting more likely the WAC will merge with another conference, possibly the BSC. FBS & FCS football divisions. Lots of competition, unique league. Its a good idea.
What are you even talking about here...you got any kind of link to back up that outrageous idea?
Shawn D.