Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: Oddly early preseason top-25 FCS

Post by houndawg »

DJH wrote:
houndawg wrote:

If any of those guys can play why are you not running the spread?
Did you watch a single UNI game last year? Did you think that was power running football or what?
Is there a point in there somewhere?

Yes I watched a single UNI game last year, had a great time, too.
You matter, unless you multiply yourself by "c" squared. Then you energy.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

clenz wrote:This from a couple weeks ago.

For the third consecutive weekend, sophomore Carlos Anderson improved his time in the 60m dash, this time finishing in 6.75 seconds to move into fourth place all-time at UNI. Anderson has the top time in the MVC this season. The Panthers took four of the top five spots in the 60m, with Jarred Herring second in 6.83, Timmy Johnson third in 6.91, and Wilmot Wellington fifth in 6.99.
Quote:
Carlos Anderson also won the 200m dash, clocking in at 22.20 to post the fastest time by a UNI runner this season. Herring took fourth place in 22.50, Wellington was fifth in 22.66, and sophomore Chris Henely was sixth in 22.78.

UNI has 4 of the top 8 60 meters guys in the MVC this year

The bolded runners play football
But now everybody knows that they don't need to be covered that far.
You matter, unless you multiply yourself by "c" squared. Then you energy.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote:
clenz wrote:This from a couple weeks ago.

For the third consecutive weekend, sophomore Carlos Anderson improved his time in the 60m dash, this time finishing in 6.75 seconds to move into fourth place all-time at UNI. Anderson has the top time in the MVC this season. The Panthers took four of the top five spots in the 60m, with Jarred Herring second in 6.83, Timmy Johnson third in 6.91, and Wilmot Wellington fifth in 6.99.
Quote:
Carlos Anderson also won the 200m dash, clocking in at 22.20 to post the fastest time by a UNI runner this season. Herring took fourth place in 22.50, Wellington was fifth in 22.66, and sophomore Chris Henely was sixth in 22.78.

UNI has 4 of the top 8 60 meters guys in the MVC this year

The bolded runners play football
Not to chime in like the completely unknowing dick that I am, but if your team couldn't find these receivers last year, what makes you think it will work out better this year?

By now everybody knows that they don't need to be covered that far.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

I'm saying that the problem was our WR could outrun any secondary last year, but they weren't put in positions to make plays.

Anderson and Wellington are RB's.

You are a moron if you can't follow this point
native
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Weber State

Post by native »

93henfan wrote:This really isn't a completely terrible preseason pick, except for the fact that they give the non-power leagues way too much credit. Let's face it. It gets validated year after year in the playoffs. Autobids from sorry conferences just don't go very far in the playoffs for the most part. My preseason top 25 will be heavily populated by teams from the BSC, CAA, SoCon, and MVFC. I don't subscribe to the theory that I have to have a representative from every autobid conference in my top 25, especially when I think they'll get waxed early.
:+1:
Proud Prince of Purple Pomposity
YT is not a communist. He's just a ...young pup.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

1. Eagles
2. Eagles
3. Anklebiters
4. Whoever the preseason CAA favorite is.
:nod:
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana, WCU & FCS
A.K.A.: Rehab-aholic

Post by Appaholic »

clenz wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Considering that Lehigh was able to completely handle that "speed" all day in the playoff game, then that is a scary indictment of the MVFC. I mean, when a Patriot League team looks just as fast if not faster than your most speediest team, that's scary.

I think we need to revisit the idea that the MVFC is a top tier conference - they're more like the Southland than they are the CAA/SoCon/BSC. :thumb:
No doubt that physical negates speed if the speed isn't used correctly. I can not and will not argue that.

However, our OC doesn't call plays that allow our play makers to make plays
Maybe that's because your OC doesn't think his players can make those plays.....just sayin'....
http://www.takeahikewnc.com

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

Consume. Watch TV. Be Silent. Work. Die.
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Appaholic »

Top Tier
Big Sky
CAA
SoCon

Second Tier
MVFC
Southland
Big South
OVC

Third Tier
Great West
Ivy
MEAC
Patriot
Pioneer
SWAC

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Appaholic wrote:
clenz wrote:No doubt that physical negates speed if the speed isn't used correctly. I can not and will not argue that.

However, our OC doesn't call plays that allow our play makers to make plays
Maybe that's because your OC doesn't think his players can make those plays.....just sayin'....
No, it's because our OC is a moron.

To think that the kind of athletes we have can't take a hitch route or quick slant/drag, and turn it into a positive play rather than running things that don't allow any kind of play to be made is being stupid.
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Appaholic »

clenz wrote:The MVFC had a finalist just a couple years ago
6 years ago. Using that logic, it hasn't been that long since McNeese & Colgate were in the finals. But you conspicuously left the Southland & Patriot out of Top Tier conferences while including MVFC even though they've experienced the same success (or lack thereof)......

Trapped in CA
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Northern Iowa
A.K.A.: UNI Pike

Post by Trapped in CA »

Appaholic wrote:
clenz wrote:The MVFC had a finalist just a couple years ago
6 years ago. Using that logic, it hasn't been that long since McNeese & Colgate were in the finals. But you conspicuously left the Southland & Patriot out of Top Tier conferences while including MVFC even though they've experienced the same success (or lack thereof)......

How does OVC rate a second tier status? When someone from that league wins a playoff game (last playoff win by a current member was 1996), I will then be open to listening to a suggestion that they be considered to be more than the PFL with schollies and better weather.
Morons of the month - October

Looks like certain people on this board finally have a reason to trade in their US Passports

------------------------------

Current OVC football members - 0-21 in FCS playoffs since 1997
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Appaholic wrote:Top Tier
Big Sky
CAA
SoCon

Second Tier
MVFC
Southland
Big South
OVC

Third Tier
Great West
Ivy
MEAC
Patriot
Pioneer
SWAC
If you put the Great West in the bottom tier because of it's impending end, fine. Otherwise it should be in the 2nd tier on the strength of SUU, Davis, and Poly. Poly has made multiple playoff trips and had a win just a couple of years ago (2005). ;)
Thumper 76
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: South Dakota State

Post by Thumper 76 »

kalm wrote:
Appaholic wrote:Top Tier
Big Sky
CAA
SoCon

Second Tier
MVFC
Southland
Big South
OVC

Third Tier
Great West
Ivy
MEAC
Patriot
Pioneer
SWAC
If you put the Great West in the bottom tier because of it's impending end, fine. Otherwise it should be in the 2nd tier on the strength of SUU, Davis, and Poly. Poly has made multiple playoff trips and had a win just a couple of years ago (2005). ;)
:+1:
Please don't tell Obama what comes after a Trillion.
FargoBison
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by FargoBison »

Top Tier
CAA
SoCon
Big Sky
MVFC

Second Tier
SLC
Patriot
GWFC

Third Tier
OVC
MEAC
Big South
NEC
SWAC

Pompous Tier
Ivy

Whiny little bitch Tier
Pioneer
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:If you put the Great West in the bottom tier because of it's impending end, fine. Otherwise it should be in the 2nd tier on the strength of SUU, Davis, and Poly. Poly has made multiple playoff trips and had a win just a couple of years ago (2005). ;)
:| Say what?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:If you put the Great West in the bottom tier because of it's impending end, fine. Otherwise it should be in the 2nd tier on the strength of SUU, Davis, and Poly. Poly has made multiple playoff trips and had a win just a couple of years ago (2005). ;)
:| Say what?
They wouldn't be on your radar hen.
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Appaholic »

Trapped in CA wrote:
Appaholic wrote:

How does OVC rate a second tier status? When someone from that league wins a playoff game (last playoff win by a current member was 1996), I will then be open to listening to a suggestion that they be considered to be more than the PFL with schollies and better weather.
No reason other than I cut-n-pasted Clenz's list & just switched MVFC from top tier to 2nd tier. Don't really care about the conferences below top tier level....just like the rest of the FCS... :lol:

Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Appaholic »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: :| Say what?
Translation: We know they suck, but they're good for a west coast team. Outside of EWU & UM, we have no one else to choose from...well, NDSU but seriously....

bojeta
I am a fan of: Cal Poly
A.K.A.: Mustangs

Post by bojeta »

IMO.... Their guess looks to be about as good as anybody's. There are plenty of changes this year and a slew of challenging schedules which could have a dramatic impact in terms of W/L and injuries at the FCS level where depth is typically not a strong point. I'm happy to start with these rankings and see how it pans out 3-4 weeks into the season after most of the FCS/FBS matchups are completed.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: :| Say what?
Why would they be on anyone's radar?

Davis marquis win in the past 4-5 years was over a 1-12 San Jose State, who is 3-22 in the last two years with wins over SUU (coincidentally) and Cal Poly.

Davis is 37-37 vs DI since the advent of the GWFC and SUU is 19-51.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Appaholic wrote:
kalm wrote:
Translation: We know they suck, but they're good for a west coast team. Outside of EWU & UM, we have no one else to choose from...well, NDSU but seriously....
SUU and Davis are strong enough to move their conference from the bottom tier of FCS to the the 2nd from the bottom. That's all I was saying. I've watched both play recently and while inconsistent, they are better than virtually all of the teams from the non and partial schollie conferences. They have some athletes and run non-stone age offenses.

Translation: You're as smart as 89.

89's FCS radar:

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:
Why would they be on anyone's radar?

Davis marquis win in the past 4-5 years was over a 1-12 San Jose State, who is 3-22 in the last two years with wins over SUU (coincidentally) and Cal Poly.

Davis is 37-37 vs DI since the advent of the GWFC and SUU is 19-51.
Again, I watched SUU play in person this year and they have some talent. They at least kept the game with us closer than Nova did. :coffee:

Davis also beat Stanford a few year's back.

ODU, Chattanooga, Rhode Island are amongst a number of east coast teams I've watched on t.v. and that are on my radar, hen. I guess west coast radar > east coast radar. :coffee:
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Appaholic »

kalm wrote:Translation: You're as smart as 89.
Why you sonofa.......

;)

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Appaholic wrote:
kalm wrote:Translation: You're as smart as 89.
Why you sonofa.......

;)
:mrgreen:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:Again, I watched SUU play in person this year and they have some talent. They at least kept the game with us closer than Nova did. :coffee:
:blah:

CP is a pretty solid program. Davis and SUU have done nothing, unless you want to talk about keeping games close and being competitive. This whole discussion about the GWFC and where they stack up is stupid anyway given that it won't exist in another year.