Was EWU on The Cover of Sports Illustrated?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Seriously...I've NEVER seen a team as beaten up as these guys are this year...and the injuries aren't just nicks and bruises. First you lose TJ a year early to the NFL...then your O-line gets decimated to the point where you're playing a converted 240-lb TE at C and taking auditions for offensive line, then your stud linebacker gets lost for the year, and now your stud receiver is done for the year.

I'm starting to wonder if there wasn't a phantom issue of Sports Illustrated that placed the curse on you guys?

Seriously....that absolutely BLOWS. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Was EWU on The Cover of Sports Illustrated?

Post by kalm »

I figured heading into the year that we could somewhat absorb the losses of Sherritt and TJ because Zack Johnson was waiting in the wings at LB and we could run the ball efficiently enough to keep defenses honest while ramping up the passing game like we did against Delaware. The o-line and d-line were for the most part intact, and the only real question mark was at corner where we were used to giving up yards.

I figured that despite the losses and because of the experience of the championship run we were at least an 8-3 team.

But when you put it down on paper, we lost a very good DT in Tyler Jolley and with a lack of the home run threat in TJ and all of the injuries we are half the team we were. I think we have 3rd and 4th stringers at best starting at the center and guard positions.

Such is life. It will be fun watching the younger kids get reps and gain experience. If we were to somehow eak out a win in Flagstaff this week and take care of business against UNC we would then be on a bit of roll heading into Sac. It can still be interesting.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I feel so sorry for EWU. :cry:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
WYOBISONMAN
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: The NDSU Bison

Post by WYOBISONMAN »

They suck this year.....I find it a tad funny. Earlier in the season they were all over on our board huffing and puffing like the Big Bad Wolf........I guess that wind just kind of got sucked out of them. Too bad.......LOL! Karma is indeed a bitch......
alvin kayak
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Citadel Sports
A.K.A.: The Ghost of Gabon
Location: Imperialist, South Carolina, Dominos, JAWJA & Bulldog, NC

Post by alvin kayak »

EWU is a good team, but they are struggling. The biggest issue is the loss of Taiwan Jones. C'mon...this guy was totally under-valued.
"College Football is NOT A BUSINESS. It is revenue-producing, and all the money gets reinvested." Nick Saban

I am diagnosed as manic-depressive. You have been warned.
TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by TwinTownBisonFan »

WYOBISONMAN wrote:They suck this year.....I find it a tad funny. Earlier in the season they were all over on our board huffing and puffing like the Big Bad Wolf........I guess that wind just kind of got sucked out of them. Too bad.......LOL! Karma is indeed a bitch......
Given the team you cheer for... maybe this is a pot and kettle situation.

(as a fan of the same team - I can say with certainty, the behavior of our fans on the boards has led to a huge case of schadenfreude every time something bad happens to our program)
North Dakota State University Bison 2011 and 2012 National Champions

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

WYOBISONMAN wrote:They suck this year..... Too bad.......LOL! Karma is indeed a bitch......
Well then there goes the Bison's chances. Good job! :thumb:
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

alvin kayak wrote:EWU is a good team, but they are struggling. The biggest issue is the loss of Taiwan Jones. C'mon...this guy was totally under-valued.
I said it last year, and I"ll say it this year. EWU was better off without him, okay maybe not this year as they are bad this year.

Last year EWU focused so much on getting Jones the ball I felt it handicapped them at times, and when he wasn't in the game they didn't know what to do because he wasn't there. Blah blah blah they won the national title blah blah blah....

I feel he was over-valued from what I saw of the Eagles.....oh and the fact he couldn't go a full game without getting hurt.
Northcoast
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Big Sky

Post by Northcoast »

Maybe karma caught up with the eagles due to the arrogance of Screaming Eagle and Black Falcon.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

WYOBISONMAN wrote:They suck this year.....I find it a tad funny. Earlier in the season they were all over on our board huffing and puffing like the Big Bad Wolf........I guess that wind just kind of got sucked out of them. Too bad.......LOL! Karma is indeed a bitch......
Seriously? They don't "suck". They've been decimated. I would LOVE to see what would happen if the Bison lost their best defensive player, their best offensive player and their entire offensive line. They were huffing and puffing because they had 17 starters returning from a national championship team. You guys huff and puff because you beat Little Sisters of the Fucking Poor. Don't be JiBBerish or lakeshomo. This isn't a team that sucks. It's a team that can't buy a fucking break. BIG difference.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Northcoast wrote:Maybe karma caught up with the eagles due to the arrogance of Screaming Eagle and Black Falcon.
I dunno. SE seems to have mellowed somewhat in recent months, and I can't recall the last time I saw a post from BF. kalm is mostly seen in the Poli forum. When it comes to flat-out arrogance, the cream of the crop (at least for now) seems to be JaBBer and lakes.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Seriously? They don't "suck". They've been decimated. I would LOVE to see what would happen if the Bison lost their best defensive player, their best offensive player and their entire offensive line. They were huffing and puffing because they had 17 starters returning from a national championship team. You guys huff and puff because you beat Little Sisters of the Fucking Poor. Don't be JiBBerish or lakeshomo. This isn't a team that sucks. It's a team that can't buy a fucking break. BIG difference.
:+1:

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Northcoast wrote:Maybe karma caught up with the eagles due to the arrogance of Screaming Eagle and Black Falcon.
Yes, I'm quite certain it works this way. And we all shine on...
Northcoast
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Big Sky

Post by Northcoast »

Wasn't serious, karma talk was just in fun. Black Falcon was T Jones himself, now in the NFL e has no time to post with all the playing time he is getting and so on. SE has not mellowed he just got a huge helping of humble pie after some losses.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

God, one would hope that would happen. SE isn't as bad as Black Falcon but they are equally irritating.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote:
God, one would hope that would happen. SE isn't as bad as Black Falcon but they are equally irritating.
I miss BlackFalkin. :nod:
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote: God, one would hope that would happen. SE isn't as bad as Black Falcon but they are equally irritating.
I miss BlackFalkin. Yes homo :nod:

FIFY :kisswink:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
I miss BlackFalkin. Yes homo :nod:

FIFY :kisswink:
:D

I almost put "no homo" after that, but felt it went unsaid.

Apparently I was wrong. :ohno: :ohno:
lakesbison
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU
A.K.A.: lakesbison

Post by lakesbison »

its KARMA for Bill Fette and the tampon turf
William Fette
I am a fan of: cowbell
A.K.A.: impartial

Post by William Fette »

lakesbison wrote:its KARMA for Bill Fette and the tampon turf
I'm no expert on that hippie, buddhist crap but I don't think inanimate objects are karma eligible. And life's been pretty darned good for me since that game. 8-)
Upon further review
youngterrier
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: the option
A.K.A.: Boss the Terrier

Post by youngterrier »

Wofford was decimated by injuries in 2009 like this. It was pretty sad with as many knee injuries we had that year. Then the next year we went from 3-8 to 10-3 and won a share of the Socon. This year, many of those injured are back and contributing big-time and those who were freshmen playing in their place while they were injured way-back-when are seasoned enough to where we have probably one of the most deepest LB and RB corp in terms of capable players. It sucks now, but it pays off, as long as you're competitive in 3/4 of your games there's a chance for being really good next year, and no one wants to hear it, but it's the cruel reality. EWU will be back.
Montanan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Montana schools, Griz #1
Location: along the Jef with a cold one in one hand a pole in the other.

Post by Montanan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote: God, one would hope that would happen. SE isn't as bad as Black Falcon but they are equally irritating.
I miss BlackFalkin. :nod:
damned right! :nod:
talon38
I am a fan of: EWU

Post by talon38 »

Wyobison
While I respect you opinion about EWU, I can hardly agree it's a laughing matter as you appear to make it. Our O Line just had 3 serious surgeries in the last 3 weeks, ruptured achillies, broken leg, and ACL (today), not to mention all american Center out with torn PCL and RT tackle with lingering high ankle sprain. Only the LT Tackle is healthy. Then we lose a pre season Buchanan LB, #1 WR, Starting corner, that's 7 of the returning 16 starters. And Eastern has been competive in all there games thus far, just no record to show for it.
As we've seen alot of things have to right to win a NC, as did last year, but nothing, including injuries and turnovers has went our way this year. This team has not given up, they need to win out for a playoff shot.
While I've never posted ever on the Bison forum, I just thought your remark of "karma is a bitch" was over the top!!!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

talon38 wrote:Wyobison
While I respect you opinion about EWU, I can hardly agree it's a laughing matter as you appear to make it. Our O Line just had 3 serious surgeries in the last 3 weeks, ruptured achillies, broken leg, and ACL (today), not to mention all american Center out with torn PCL and RT tackle with lingering high ankle sprain. Only the LT Tackle is healthy. Then we lose a pre season Buchanan LB, #1 WR, Starting corner, that's 7 of the returning 16 starters. And Eastern has been competive in all there games thus far, just no record to show for it.
As we've seen alot of things have to right to win a NC, as did last year, but nothing, including injuries and turnovers has went our way this year. This team has not given up, they need to win out for a playoff shot.
While I've never posted ever on the Bison forum, I just thought your remark of "karma is a bitch" was over the top!!!
It's the only comeback a bison fan has, since EWU has scoreboard on them. :nod: :nod: :nod:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

talon38 wrote:Wyobison
Yep, especially if you're comparing to last year. Forget the line and corner injuries, if you take away conference offensive and defensive MVP's, a Buchanon award winner, two all Americans, and a preseason all american, you ain't gonna be the same.