EPJr
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: VCU/A-10
A.K.A.: BigE

Liberty hires Turner Gill

Post by EPJr »

Liberty names Gill new head football coach

Lynchburg, VA (Sports Network) - Liberty University named Turner Gill as the new head football coach on Wednesday.

Gill had been the head coach at Kansas the past two seasons and guided the team to a mark of just 5-19, including 1-16 in Big 12 play.

Prior to that, he coached four seasons at Buffalo and finished 20-30 there, with a 14-18 mark in Mid-American Conference action.
"In our search for a new head football coach, almost every advisor recommended Turner Gill," said Liberty chancellor and president Jerry Falwell, Jr. "Every indication is that he is a perfect fit for Liberty University. His experience is at the level where we would like to take our football program. His Christian faith is strong and sincere and what any new recruit would expect to see in a Liberty University head football coach."

Gill takes the spot of Danny Rocco, who left Liberty earlier in December to take the coaching position at Richmond. Liberty went 47-20 with a 26-5 mark in Big South action under Rocco's guidance.

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx? ... id=4457536" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sly Fox
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Liberty

Re: Liberty hires Turner Gill

Post by Sly Fox »

We're really jazzed to make such a quality hire so quickly. The news conference at 1pm ET will be streamed live and include some other news as well.

FlameFans.com has been all over this search and the school believes it got its first choice.
Knucklehead
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: LIBERTY

Post by Knucklehead »

Absolutely Stoked. What a great hire and a great future for Liberty Football. I will be going over at 1 but if you want to watch the conference it will be here: http://www.bigsouthsports.com/liveEvent ... EM_ID=4800
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Gill should be a great coach for Liberty. Best wishes to Turner :thumb:
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

If I'm a Liberty fan I'm ecstatic, but from an outsiders view, wow did Gill experience a freefall, from one of the hottest FBS coaches to a low-FCS program.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

So how long until Liberty announces their move to FBS?

I smell the Sun Belt right around the corner.
mcveyrl
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: mcveyrl

Post by mcveyrl »

bluehenbillk wrote:If I'm a Liberty fan I'm ecstatic, but from an outsiders view, wow did Gill experience a freefall, from one of the hottest FBS coaches to a low-FCS program.

I would be excited if I were a Liberty fan too, but other than the name and one great season at Buffalo ("great" being defined as 8-6), I don't see the big attraction.

Is he known as a great recruiter? By the time the team was all of "his" guys, Buffalo was 5-7, 2-10, and 3-8 (obviously they probably had some defections after his departure).

I don't want to come off as a negative nancy, because I probably really would be excited about this if I were a Liberty fan (or if JMU were in a similar position). Maybe I don't know enough about him other than his name.

This is an honest question: Can somebody tell me the attributes that make him a great hire? Because I don't see it from the above.
rueful
Level1
Level1
A.K.A.: flamefans1971

Post by rueful »

danefan wrote:So how long until Liberty announces their move to FBS?

We formally announced a Feasability Study today
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

rueful wrote:
danefan wrote:So how long until Liberty announces their move to FBS?

We formally announced a Feasability Study today
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Didn't take long:

http://www.liberty.edu/news/index.cfm?P ... &MID=44319" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still a long way to go of course....but its in motion.
Sly Fox
Level1
Level1

Post by Sly Fox »

Long way to go? I'm curious how many other schools are better positioned to make the transition from a perspective of total sports carried, facilities, Title IX, etc. We already meet the attendance standards. It is a very short list and from some of the feedback we have received from FBS circles, the list may not exist at all. Yeah, I am well aware of our shortcomings on the football field. But that is just a part of the equation. If an FBS league were to invite us tomorrow, our adjustments would be almost negligible beyond adding the scholarships. And resources are not the problem for us that state-funded schools are facing with budget crises aplenty.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

Sly Fox wrote:Long way to go? I'm curious how many other schools are better positioned to make the transition from a perspective of total sports carried, facilities, Title IX, etc. We already meet the attendance standards. It is a very short list and from some of the feedback we have received from FBS circles, the list may not exist at all. Yeah, I am well aware of our shortcomings on the football field. But that is just a part of the equation. If an FBS league were to invite us tomorrow, our adjustments would be almost negligible beyond adding the scholarships. And resources are not the problem for us that state-funded schools are facing with budget crises aplenty.
I agree that Liberty is well positioned.

But, feasibility studies don't happen overnight.
rkwittem
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: North Dakota State

Post by rkwittem »

This is in all honesty the best job Turner Gill will have had so far.

Congrats on the excellent hire. :clap:
SumItUp
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Liberty Flames

Post by SumItUp »

danefan wrote:I agree that Liberty is well positioned.

But, feasibility studies don't happen overnight.
You are correct that they do not happen overnight and take a considerable amount of time, however, the feasibility study is already in process. It is scheduled to be complete by February/March 2012. This is not new information from the perspective of those that follow Liberty athletics closely, however, it is the first that it was announced from the administration.
Bill Carr’s firm, Carr Sports Associates, has helped a lot of schools make the transition from the Football Championship Subdivision to the Football Bowl Subdivision. CSA’s list of clients includes Texas State, Texas-San Antonio and South Alabama, all of whom are in the process of upgrading, and current Sun Belt schools Troy, Florida Atlantic and Florida International, all of whom started as I-AA football programs.
Liberty initially brought Carr’s firm in last October to do an assessment of the program. When it was done, Carr told Falwell that Liberty was more well positioned to make the move than any other FCS school in the country.
http://www2.newsadvance.com/sports/2011 ... r-1547879/
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

So you guys are excited to land a coach with a 25-49 career record? :?
rkwittem
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: North Dakota State

Post by rkwittem »

89Hen wrote:So you guys are excited to land a coach with a 25-49 career record? :?
Who, pray tell, wins big at Kansas? He won at Buffalo, which is a much worse job than Liberty, IMO.
Winindy
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: MVC
A.K.A.: Sun King Puddle

Post by Winindy »

rkwittem wrote:
89Hen wrote:So you guys are excited to land a coach with a 25-49 career record? :?
Who, pray tell, wins big at Kansas? He won at Buffalo, which is a much worse job than Liberty, IMO.
He had a winning record one year out of 4 at Buffalo. And one out of six as a head coach. I'm sure he's a good Christian though.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

rkwittem wrote:

Mangino did
:thumb:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

rkwittem wrote:Who, pray tell, wins big at Kansas? He won at Buffalo, which is a much worse job than Liberty, IMO.
EPJr wrote:Prior to that, he coached four seasons at Buffalo and finished 20-30 there
Who wins big at Kansas? A rather ironic question. Maybe it was the guy who led them to a BCS bowl win only 4 years ago...

mcveyrl
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: mcveyrl

Post by mcveyrl »

See my previous post....that no one's responded to.
Big McLargehuge
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Big McLargehuge »

His two year tenure at Kansas was atrocious, but he made Buffalo actually relevant for a year or two...which is a miracle in and of it's own right. Problem was that one 8 win season at a MAC school was enough to turn him into some sort of phenom coach overnight.

I don't know if I'd exactly say it's a brilliant hiring because he isn't exactly coming off a great stint at Kansas...but he's still coming from Kansas. He has a recognizable name, if nothing else, and that'll help recruiting somewhat. How much of Buffalo's turn-around was him and how much of it was Drew Willy remains to be seen...Buffalo feel right back off once Willy graduated, even with Gill around for another season...
Pittsburgh Penguins|Pittsburgh Steelers|Pittsburgh Pirates
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

Coach Bohl and The BISON just knocked them off their game and they could never recover. Its a classic situation.

My guess is they wont be calling NDSU and Coach Bohls BISON for a game anytime soon. :D
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
Sly Fox
Level1
Level1

Post by Sly Fox »

I would agree with that point, JBB. But it didn't stop us from scheduling Montana.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

bluehenbillk wrote:If I'm a Liberty fan I'm ecstatic, but from an outsiders view, wow did Gill experience a freefall, from one of the hottest FBS coaches to a low-FCS program.
Hogwash. Liberty may not be a "power program," but they're most definitely NOT Pioneer.

:roll:

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.