Portland State playing Carroll College?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JBB
Level3
Level3

Re: Portland State playing Carroll College?

Post by JBB »

Darell1976 wrote:
pantherrob82 wrote: Do you mean UNI in the past? Because I doubt we will ever again.
Yes specifically 2006 vs UND. JBB brags how NDSU will never schedule down as Gene Taylor is the master of scheduling well even the good schools who has been in the FCS longer than NDSU has had to schedule down. Of course UND had to since we had only 4 other teams in our conference so 2 FBS games that leaves 5 OOC games to schedule. Not sure UND could afford to schedule 3 at home unless it was all home and home which is what South Dakota State does. Of course JBB says nothing about his new conference mate South Dakota scheduling down as much as UND.
I have never bragged about NDSU not scheduling down. I have been educating rubes about the mastery of the NDSU Scheduling Model though.

The point Im making is you schedule down from a position of strength if you are a top notched FCS program:
JBB wrote:Scheduling lower division schools strategically and from a position of strength is one thing, filling a schedule with them because you are weak is another all together. The difference is obvious when comparing the North Dakota schools: the National Champion NDSU BISON and UND, a school that has just lost its long time nickname and indian imagery because of ongoing hostilities between UND and the tribes.
Another good comparison is montana. They went broke and started filling the schedules with D2 teams trying to do what UND has done: under pay them.

If NDSU schedules down they will be picking the future winners in the lower division. The money NDSU will pay will benefit them greatly. NDSU will schedule with programs that were allies with the BISON in the D2 days, have competitive programs with some name recognition and will have regional interest. School of Mines isnt a big draw around here and I forgot how many fans attended the 2 Sioux Falls games in grand forks but the 3 games together wont have as many people as 1 BISON Game in the insanely popular Fabulous Fargo Dome.
Gene Taylor is a scheduling master.
I see the hoi polloi are out again! :lol:
Last edited by JBB on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote:
kalm wrote:
1/2 of Bisonville.
Post a poll, mention Sioux Lover and see how close to half you get. :lol:
You said stand behind the "words" of Sioux Lover. 50% would get behind the words. :coffee:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Post a poll, mention Sioux Lover and see how close to half you get. :lol:
You said stand behind the "words" of Sioux Lover. 50% would get behind the words. :coffee:
Every night I hope and pray that sioux lover will go away :twocents:
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

Fette-ish...hahaha.. Great shit.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote:
kalm wrote:
Every night I hope and pray that sioux lover will go away :twocents:
I feel for ya man.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

My guess is that Portland, like UND and montana, is scheduling down due to program weakness. :nod:

As long as Carroll is being paid a fair price its an ok schedule for them. Portland is a middle of the pack Big Sky team with little or no chance of getting an at large even in this expanded format so they arent worried about it being an exhibition game.

UND, a school that has just lost its long time nickname and indian imagery because of ongoing hostilities between UND and the tribes, has been scheduling down a lot because of money and program difficulties. I have forgotten how many lower division exhibition games they have played the last couple years, 6 maybe, or was it 5? Added together those games may have attracted as many fans as 1 NDSU BISON Valpo game.

I dont think NDSU has played 5 lower division exhibition games in the entire time they were in transition up to the present day where you find the NDSU BISON as the FCS National Football Champions. :thumb:
William Fette
I am a fan of: cowbell
A.K.A.: impartial

Post by William Fette »

Stalker :ohno:
Upon further review
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack

Post by grizzaholic »

William Fette wrote:Image

Stalker :ohno:
I know a good lawyer. One phone call and you can get some papers sent over.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

When schools do schedule out of division it should be noted the scholarship disparity is greater than that between the FBS and FCS. These FCS-lower division games are missmatches putting the young men of the smaller schools at physical risk.

The missmatches are so great that D2 UND quit playing NDSU when the Mighty BISON Moved up to the FCS. Now UND, a school that has just lost its long time nickname and indian imagery because of ongoing hostilities between UND and the tribes, cant find enough lower division schools to schedule!

Because these games are so one-sided they should be listed as exhibition games and not counted in the won loss total for the regular season. They dont count for playoffs already so proper accounting of the game is in order, wouldnt you say? :nod:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JBB wrote:When schools do schedule out of division it should be noted the scholarship disparity is greater than that between the FBS and FCS.
What was the scholarship disparity between NDSU and it's first two opponents this year?
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

As you know, those schools were both full FCS playoff eligible teams. Both had adequate scholarship equvalancies to make them very competitive. In fact, St Francis had one of the nations top running backs and Lafayette played Lehigh very tough.

Lehigh is in the same league as Lafayette. Lafayette had the nations toughest FCS schedule this season. NDSU was #10.

Lehigh beat UNI in the playoffs last year and lost to NDSU this season. NDSU finished the year National FCS Champions, UNI finished out of the running this year and was eliminated in the first round last year.

St Francis had the nations 46th toughest FCS schedule this past season.

Those games were counters. UND, a school that has just lost its long time nickname and indian imagery because of ongoing hostilities between UND and the tribes, cant find half their opponents on that list.

If your opponent isnt on the FCS/FBS list they should be listed as an exhibition and the results not included in the final won/loss total for the team. Thats the way its done in BB and thats the way it should be done in the FCS.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2011/Internet/ ... s_cumm.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by JBB on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

kalm wrote:
JBB wrote:When schools do schedule out of division it should be noted the scholarship disparity is greater than that between the FBS and FCS.
What was the scholarship disparity between NDSU and it's first two opponents this year?
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

JBB wrote:As you know, those schools were both full FCS playoff eligible teams. Both had adequate scholarship equvalancies to make them very competitive. In fact, St Francis had one of the nations top running backs and Lafayette played Lehigh very tough.

Lehigh is in the same league as Lafayette. Lafayette had the nations toughest FCS schedule this season. NDSU was #10.

Lehigh beat UNI in the playoffs last year and lost to NDSU this season. NDSU finished the year National FCS Champions, UNI finished out of the running this year and was eliminated in the first round last year.

Those games were counters. UND, a school that has just lost its long time nickname and indian imagery because of ongoing hostilities between UND and the tribes, cant find half their opponents on that list.

If your opponent isnt on the FCS/FBS list they should be listed as an exhibition and the results not included in the final won/loss total for the team. Thats the way its done in BB and thats the way it should be done in the FCS.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2011/Internet/ ... s_cumm.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JBB wrote:
JBB wrote:As you know, those schools were both full FCS playoff eligible teams. Both had adequate scholarship equvalancies to make them very competitive. In fact, St Francis had one of the nations top running backs and Lafayette played Lehigh very tough.

It's ok, we all get it wrong sometimes. I'm not surprised you avoided the question. :coffee:
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack

Post by grizzaholic »

Can someone tell me what JBB/NDSU have to do with Portland State playing Carroll College?

Justin Halpern
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

your hate brought the topic away from its focus.

As for kalm, those schools have scholarship equvilancies that provide them with enough talent to make them stronger opponents than most schools in the BSC and certainly good enough to go into UNIs dome and win.

Of course UND, a school that has just lost its long time nickname and indian imagery because of ongoing hostilities between UND and the tribes, went into UNI and won as a D2 so the panthers may not be a good measure of competitiveness.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

kalm wrote:
kalm wrote:
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

kalm wrote:
kalm wrote:
There wasnt any scholarship disparity.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

Last edited by JBB on Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack

Post by grizzaholic »

JBB wrote:your hate brought the topic away from its focus.

As for kalm, those schools have scholarship equvilancies that provide them with enough talent to make them stronger opponents than most schools in the BSC and certainly good enough to go into UNIs dome and win.

Of course UND, a school that has just lost its long time nickname and indian imagery because of ongoing hostilities between UND and the tribes, went into UNI and won as a D2 so the panthers may not be a good measure of competitiveness.
Post 35
JBB wrote: The BISON have an impressive winning steak going against FBS opponents. Idaho isnt exactly a powerhouse and we have never played them. We dont have any moral victories in the Big 12 either. The BISON did beat Kansas though.

Yeah. Just leave this thread so we can go back to talking about PSU and Carroll.

Justin Halpern
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

All I see you talking about is your on going message of hate.

The larger issue - scheduling lower division teams - is one focus of the PSU/Carroll discussion. I imagine the simplicity of the xs and os is your foucs, but with all your hate talk its very difficult to tell.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JBB wrote:
JBB wrote:

How many scholarships do Lafayette and St.F PA have? How many does NDSU have?
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack

Post by grizzaholic »

JBB wrote:All I see you talking about is your on going message of hate.

The larger issue - scheduling lower division teams - is one focus of the PSU/Carroll discussion. I imagine the simplicity of the xs and os is your foucs, but with all your hate talk its very difficult to tell.
Did you not like the Zebra, is that what this is about?

Justin Halpern
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack

Post by grizzaholic »

kalm wrote:
JBB wrote:
How many scholarships do Lafayette and St.F PA have? How many does NDSU have?
Can anyone answer this question or is it just reserved for JBB?

Justin Halpern