Football Championship Subdivision discussions
GrizzlyEdd
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Some GOOD FCS news for a change!!!

Post by GrizzlyEdd »

As noted on eGriz.com by "grizpack"

Here is a letter to the editor that was in the Missoulian today about Lex. I think it is important for us all to remember (including the folks at MSU) that for every kid in trouble at each university, there are a BUNCH of good kids who try and do the right things. (this applies to all FCS colleges and universities)

Good Job to Lex!!

Hilliard, Griz are good role models
In light of all the negativity with college sports these days, I have a long overdue story to tell you.

My daughter, Kendall, was chosen for "star of the week" in Ms. Popham's third-grade class at Cold Springs School last spring. Kendall's only wish during that week was to have her friend and idol, University of Montana football player Lex Hilliard, come to her class as a guest. We really didn't think we could make this happen, but we were fortunate enough to talk to one of the assistant coaches and he was kind enough to help us.

Lex came to her class with a large duffel bag in tow. He brought his helmet, his championship ring and his football he received after rushing for over 2,000 yards, all which he passed around the class. He answered every conceivable question that a third-grader could ask for over 45 minutes. He talked about getting good grades, staying out of trouble and not relying on athletics alone. He was extremely humble and repeatedly told the kids how great his teammates are and how he wouldn't be anywhere without them. After all this, Kendall wanted him to play with the class at recess, which he did without any hesitation.

What a great role model for our Missoula youth. Thank you Lex, and thanks to everyone including the coaching staff for making this happen. We love our University of Montana Grizzly football team and look forward to another incredible season. Go Griz!

Kendall Rauk,

Mary Rauk-Sweeney, Missoula
http://http://www.missoulian.com/articl ... tters5.txt
I am not a self professed expert on FCS football, I am just a fan and I can live with that!
uncfootballrules
I am a fan of: Northern Colorado

Re: Some GOOD FCS news for a change!!!

Post by uncfootballrules »

Great article, nice to see some good news for once. Amazing that ESPN doesn't pick this up and run it on the ticker....
MrTitleist
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by MrTitleist »

The ticker would read: "College football player doesn't act like spoiled brat and piss his career away in stupid crime spree."
ImageImageImageImageImage
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

While this is not ESPN "Ticker" type news, it is good to hear...and it is the kind of story that a local station could do, and package for a network like ESPN or Fox Sports...

Congrats to all involved in making this happen...you're right, there are lots of these stories each day that we don't get to hear about...we only get the bad stories...

But that's the news...how many times have you seen a story like this...

FIRST NATIONAL BANK OF MISSOULA OPENED TODAY...ALL THE MONEY WAS THERE...

or

ALL PLANES LANDED SAFELY AT THE AIRPORT TODAY...

News reports what grabs attention... :roll:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.