Next NC comes from which conference?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Get'em_Griz
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: Next NC comes from which conference?

Post by Get'em_Griz »

htownbearkat wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Hey Einstein....App State hasn't missed the playoffs since 2004. :dunce:

Oh, and even if Montana and App State came into this game after each going 2-9 last year it would STILL be a bigger game than any game involving SHSU. :nod: :nod: :nod:

Right, way bigger than say the NC. 4 and 1
Well when you have two teams with the two largest fan bases by far in the FCS playing against each other, it's gonna be a bigger game than any other. :thumb:
1995 and 2001 FCS NATIONAL CHAMPS
Big Sky Champs - '69, '70, '82, '93, '95, '96, '98, '99, '00-'09, '11
National Champs Runner-Ups: '96, '00, '04, '08, '09
Playoffs - '82, '88, '89, '93-'09, '11, '13, '14
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

If I had to pick I'd pick the MVFC. But we really don't know.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Bison Fan in NW MN
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU
A.K.A.: bisoninnwmn

Post by Bison Fan in NW MN »

Taking out my bias for NDSU and the MV, I would have to say the Big Sky this year.

Montana with JJ back
EWU
Montana State

They all are legit NC contenders this year. Although I think UND beats one of these teams this year since they are all at Grand Forks.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote:1. MVFC preseason favorite
2. Big Sky/Southland/Southern
5. CAA

Could easily change once the games begin.
What about the OVC as a long shot????
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Dal....go look up the ovc playoff record

quando omni flunkus moritati
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

dal4018 wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:1. MVFC preseason favorite
2. Big Sky/Southland/Southern
5. CAA

Could easily change once the games begin.
What about the OVC as a long shot????
:rofl: :rofl:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNHWildcat18
I am a fan of: UNH

Post by UNHWildcat18 »

Richmond CAA, saying here, mark it down. funny about the post above, I remember when someone was arguing that the OVC deserved 2 bids(eastern Kentucky fan maybe?), only got 1 and that team got crushed. I thinkkkk that was last year.
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana, WCU & FCS
A.K.A.: Rehab-aholic

Post by Appaholic »

SuperHornet wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote: BS. MSU knows exactly what to do, and they're quite good at it!

Step 1: Win Big Sky Co-Champs
Step 2: Meow ferociously.
Step 3: Piss down legs.
Step 4: Tuck tail until next year.

:nod:
MSU has also mastered the follow-a-FBS-win-with-a-D-II-loss strategy....
Agree. By the way, who's the hooker in your avatar?
http://www.takeahikewnc.com

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

Consume. Watch TV. Be Silent. Work. Die.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

WHOA! APPAHOLIC SIGHTING!
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Appaholic »

I'm a travelling sumbitch these days...just got back from China & Germany (remind me to tell you about the $2500 hooker night) and heading out to Bangkok & Malaysia Monday...missed you guys!

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Appaholic wrote:I'm a travelling sumbitch these days...just got back from China & Germany (remind me to tell you about the $2500 hooker night) and heading out to Bangkok & Malaysia Monday...missed you guys!
Um, why wait. Are you travelling for work? Lets hear this hooker story?
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Appaholic »

Ibanez wrote:
Appaholic wrote:I'm a travelling sumbitch these days...just got back from China & Germany (remind me to tell you about the $2500 hooker night) and heading out to Bangkok & Malaysia Monday...missed you guys!
Um, why wait. Are you travelling for work? Lets hear this hookers story?
fify

Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

What base did you get to before you found out they had dicks?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
At $2,700 a pop( :bj: :bj: :bj: ) I don't think that'd be a deal breaker for App.
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Appaholic »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
Actually, from my research, there is a higher likelihood of "Ladyboy" snafu in my upcoming trip to Bangkok....gotta be on my guard...stay away from the tall ones.... :lol:

S F State Gaters
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: San Francisco State?

Post by S F State Gaters »

Want to see one of the California schools from the Big Sky. My gut says either Missouri Valley or the Colonial.
LONG LIVE THE NCAC! LONG LIVE SAN FRANCISCO STATE FOOTBALL!

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Well when you have two teams with the two largest fan bases by far in the FCS playing against each other, it's gonna be a bigger game than any other.
Depends on what one thinks makes for a "big game." Me, I think in terms of playoff ramifications so the fact that Appalachian State is transitional so that it's not (as I understand it) eligible for the playoffs diminishes this game's magnitude. It's important for Montana but it's not like this matchup would've been last year when both teams could look at this as a potential high quality win that could make the difference between them getting into the playoffs or not.

Very sad too because Appalachian State had such a nice tradition of "small college" football. That's going to be gone. They'll never have that kind of mystique again. And with Georgia Southern an even bigger mystique will be lost.
Could I ever be a star?

grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Well when you have two teams with the two largest fan bases by far in the FCS playing against each other, it's gonna be a bigger game than any other.
Depends on what one thinks makes for a "big game." Me, I think in terms of playoff ramifications so the fact that Appalachian State is transitional so that it's not (as I understand it) eligible for the playoffs diminishes this game's magnitude. It's important for Montana but it's not like this matchup would've been last year when both teams could look at this as a potential high quality win that could make the difference between them getting into the playoffs or not.

Very sad too because Appalachian State had such a nice tradition of "small college" football. That's going to be gone. They'll never have that kind of mystique again. And with Georgia Southern an even bigger mystique will be lost.
Well if the game isn't all that important I will go fishing that weekend...no need to be in town to watch something that is not a "big game". :roll:
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Well if the game isn't all that important I will go fishing that weekend...no need to be in town to watch something that is not a "big game".
It's a big game from Montana's standpoint. If they win it's likely it'll be seen at the end of the season as a quality win. Just not as big a game from a national standpoint as it would have been before this year.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

BTW, while I obviously wouldn't pick the Southland as the conference from which the national champ comes since it hasn't happened for that league since 1987 and no team currently in the league has done it, it is going to be a year during which the overall strength relative to the rest of IAA/FCS of the Southland looks going in to be the highest it's been for a long time. In fact I think I would have to go back to the 80s when Arkansas State and Louisiana Tech were still in the league to recall a time when the league was at least as strong in terms of number of potentially good teams relative to the rest of the subdivision.

I do think Sam Houston State will be down a little in spite of what our Bearkat friend says. But they should still be good and I think every other team in the league will be better than it was last year. There's an asterisks by that last Statement in that McNeese State will probably not start the season with a team that is as good as the one that started the season last year. But they should start the season with a better team than the one they had after Weber State devastated them injury wise and they entered conference play. And that injury depleted team still missed tying for the conference championship by the margin of two 1 point losses including that one where Central Arkansas needed an onside kick recovery followed by a 47 yard field goal at the end.
Could I ever be a star?

htownbearkat
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: SHSU

Post by htownbearkat »

JohnStOnge wrote:BTW, while I obviously wouldn't pick the Southland as the conference from which the national champ comes since it hasn't happened for that league since 1987 and no team currently in the league has done it, it is going to be a year during which the overall strength relative to the rest of IAA/FCS of the Southland looks going in to be the highest it's been for a long time. In fact I think I would have to go back to the 80s when Arkansas State and Louisiana Tech were still in the league to recall a time when the league was at least as strong in terms of number of potentially good teams relative to the rest of the subdivision.

I do think Sam Houston State will be down a little in spite of what our Bearkat friend says. But they should still be good and I think every other team in the league will be better than it was last year. There's an asterisks by that last Statement in that McNeese State will probably not start the season with a team that is as good as the one that started the season last year. But they should start the season with a better team than the one they had after Weber State devastated them injury wise and they entered conference play. And that injury depleted team still missed tying for the conference championship by the margin of two 1 point losses including that one where Central Arkansas needed an onside kick recovery followed by a 47 yard field goal at the end.
has the southland ever had 3 teams make the playoffs? im guessing not, but i will defer to you sir. I think a good chance this year with 24 spots up for grabs.
http://cdn2.mocksession.com/wp-content/ ... RKNADO.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

has the southland ever had 3 teams make the playoffs? im guessing not, but i will defer to you sir. I think a good chance this year with 24 spots up for grabs.
Yes I can immediately remember it happening at least once and your school was involved. McNeese State, Northwestern State, and Sam Houston State all made the playoffs in 2001.

The Southland hasn't been in the running for the top league over time but hasn't been that bad. It's had a team make the championship game at the end of 8 of its 31 years as a I-AA/FCS league. Nothing like tip top conferences but a team in the championship game about once every 4 years on average isn't all that bad.

It's just they could only win once when they got there. They've had teams good enough to win. Like Stephen F. Austin losing 37-34 to Georgia Southern, the first team to end the year as an undefeated and untied national champ, after deciding to try to go for it instead of playing for overtime. Georgia Southern intercepted a pass and kicked a field goal at the end to win. Then there was McNeese losing 10-9 to Youngstown State in 1997. The only touchdown of the game came after McNeese sacked the Penguins' quarterback on third down but raked his facemask in the process to give Youngstown State another shot. Also a TD pass dropped by McNeese's tight end during the contest. So McNeese ended the year by losing to the Gateway conference's third place team after having beaten that conference's champion, Western Illinois, in the quarterfinals and its second place team, Northern Iowa, during the regular season. Then there was McNeese losing 34-14 to Western Kentucky in the 2002 championship game in spite of racking up over 400 yards of offense and after having beaten the HIlltoppers 38-13 during the regular season. No doubt they were playing a team they were capable of beating but they just didn't do it.

Sam Houston State's two teams were also good enough win it, I think. But they didn't get a good matchup. They'd have been better off if someone had knocked North Dakota State off, and that did almost happen. Also I think Sam Houston State kind of failed to take advantage of controlling the game early last year.

Yeah the Southland has had teams at times that can play with and have a chance to beat anybody in the country. They just need to just actually do it in the national championship game.
Could I ever be a star?

htownbearkat
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: SHSU

Post by htownbearkat »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Yes I can immediately remember it happening at least once and your school was involved. McNeese State, Northwestern State, and Sam Houston State all made the playoffs in 2001.

The Southland hasn't been in the running for the top league over time but hasn't been that bad. It's had a team make the championship game at the end of 8 of its 31 years as a I-AA/FCS league. Nothing like tip top conferences but a team in the championship game about once every 4 years on average isn't all that bad.

It's just they could only win once when they got there. They've had teams good enough to win. Like Stephen F. Austin losing 37-34 to Georgia Southern, the first team to end the year as an undefeated and untied national champ, after deciding to try to go for it instead of playing for overtime. Georgia Southern intercepted a pass and kicked a field goal at the end to win. Then there was McNeese losing 10-9 to Youngstown State in 1997. The only touchdown of the game came after McNeese sacked the Penguins' quarterback on third down but raked his facemask in the process to give Youngstown State another shot. Also a TD pass dropped by McNeese's tight end during the contest. So McNeese ended the year by losing to the Gateway conference's third place team after having beaten that conference's champion, Western Illinois, in the quarterfinals and its second place team, Northern Iowa, during the regular season. Then there was McNeese losing 34-14 to Western Kentucky in the 2002 championship game in spite of racking up over 400 yards of offense and after having beaten the HIlltoppers 38-13 during the regular season. No doubt they were playing a team they were capable of beating but they just didn't do it.

Sam Houston State's two teams were also good enough win it, I think. But they didn't get a good matchup. They'd have been better off if someone had knocked North Dakota State off, and that did almost happen. Also I think Sam Houston State kind of failed to take advantage of controlling the game early last year.

Yeah the Southland has had teams at times that can play with and have a chance to beat anybody in the country. They just need to just actually do it in the national championship game.
good stuff, thanks for the info.

Ill be coming to Lake Charles for the game, should be a good one.
http://cdn2.mocksession.com/wp-content/ ... RKNADO.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

1. NDSU
2. CAA
3. Rest of MVFC
4. Tie - Big Sky/SoCon
6. Everyone else
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Appaholic »

93henfan wrote:1. NDSU
2. CAA
3. Rest of MVFC
4. Tie - Big Sky/SoCon
6. Everyone else
SoCon isn't even in the mix with App St & Ga South not qualified. Who else is there? Elon :lol: Chatty? :rofl: Furman? :coffee: