Former Montana LB Tripp gets pub in Sports Illustrated

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
MrTitleist
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana

Former Montana LB Tripp gets pub in Sports Illustrated

Post by MrTitleist »

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/07/nfl-draft ... inebacker/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ImageImageImageImageImage
keydet21
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: VMI

Re: Former Montana LB Tripp gets pub in Sports Illustrated

Post by keydet21 »

"A small program like Montana..."

WTF? Not even before reading the first line do I know this guy has no clue of FCS football.
LDopaPDX
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by LDopaPDX »

I've always wondered why people play up the angle of "could he play at Michigan (et al)?"

Every year, the top tier FCS programs play games against the BCS (Big Sky, MVC, Southland, Colonial) and the upsets aren't much fewer than the blowouts. It's obvious that the kids who start for the top FCS programs aren't much different than the BCS ones, and almost every top FCS team has a few kids who would start on most BCS rosters.

I look at Eastern and U of Washington matching up in September, and there's at least 6-8 kids on both sides of the ball combined that could go to Washington and start next year. And that's a team that will probably open the season in the top 25.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

LDopaPDX wrote:I've always wondered why people play up the angle of "could he play at Michigan (et al)?"

Every year, the top tier FCS programs play games against the BCS (Big Sky, MVC, Southland, Colonial) and the upsets aren't much fewer than the blowouts. It's obvious that the kids who start for the top FCS programs aren't much different than the BCS ones, and almost every top FCS team has a few kids who would start on most BCS rosters.

I look at Eastern and U of Washington matching up in September, and there's at least 6-8 kids on both sides of the ball combined that could go to Washington and start next year. And that's a team that will probably open the season in the top 25.
I laugh at that comparison as well. Hell, last year neither Arizona State NOR Arizona had a single player drafted. Guess none of their guys could have played at Michigan either...
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

AZGrizFan wrote:
LDopaPDX wrote:I've always wondered why people play up the angle of "could he play at Michigan (et al)?"

I laugh at that comparison as well. Hell, last year neither Arizona State NOR Arizona had a single player drafted. Guess none of their guys could have played at Michigan either...
What most people don't realize is that the majority of Montana players who make it to NFL rosters, are Montana kids. We don't have any big schools to snatch up the FBS level kids, and almost all of them dream of playing for Montana. We get a few gems per year that go under the FBS radar and play their asses off for the only game in town.

I like our scenario.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

SeattleGriz wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
What most people don't realize is that the majority of Montana players who make it to NFL rosters, are Montana kids. We don't have any big schools to snatch up the FBS level kids, and almost all of them dream of playing for Montana. We get a few gems per year that go under the FBS radar and play their asses off for the only game in town.

I like our scenario.
Trumaine Johnson was a montana kid? Nope. You've got some free agents here and there but no major montana BORN AND RAISED draft picks. Sit down and stop perpetuating the myth that Montana has talent.
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

BlackFalkin wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:

I like our scenario.
Trumaine Johnson was a montana kid? Nope. You've got some free agents here and there but no major montana BORN AND RAISED draft picks. Sit down and stop perpetuating the myth that Montana has talent.
:lol: Yeah, Pro Bowler Dan Carpenter and Pro Bowler Marc Mariani would like a word with you. Both Montana born and raised.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

BlackFalkin wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:

I like our scenario.
Bitch puhleaze.

When we want shit out of you we will squeeze your head. Until then.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

AZGrizFan wrote:
BlackFalkin wrote:
:lol: Yeah, Pro Bowler Dan Carpenter and Pro Bowler Marc Mariani would like a word with you. Both Montana born and raised.
What round were they drafted again Genius?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

BlackFalkin wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Let's see. The Montana kids who grew up in Montana and played for Montana the last couple of years, because no FBS team could afford to recruit Montana. There are more, but this is from memory.

Colt Anderson
Kroy Bierman
Dan Carpenter
Marc Mariani
Chase Reynolds
Shann Schillinger

To be recruited:
Jordan Tripp
Brock Coyle
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

BlackFalkin wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Kickers aren't drafted.

Mariani was drafted in the 7th round. Genius.
Last edited by AZGrizFan on Wed May 07, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SeattleGriz wrote:
BlackFalkin wrote:
Let's see. The Montana kids who grew up in Montana and played for Montana the last couple of years, because no FBS team could afford to recruit Montana. There are more, but this is from memory.

Colt Anderson
Kroy Bierman
Dan Carpenter
Marc Mariani
Chase Reynolds
Shann Schillinger

To be recruited:
Jordan Tripp
Brock Coyle
Lex Hilliard
Tuff Harris
Brock Landers
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Things

Post by Brock Landers »

BlackFalkin wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Fail

Drafted MT kids in the last 10 years = Biermann, Hilliard, Mariani, Schillinger, Person, and soon Tripp and Coyle
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Brock Osweiler
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

BF got burned. :ohno:

GrizFan5
Level1
Level1

Post by GrizFan5 »

Dwan Edwards of Columbus MT was drafted by the Ravens in the 2d round. in 2004.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

AZGrizFan wrote:
BlackFalkin wrote:
Kickers aren't drafted.

7th round!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Thats what Mt talent amounts to. 7th round. :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

BlackFalkin wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Kickers aren't drafted.

7th round!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Thats what Mt talent amounts to. 7th round. :coffee:
And he's already made one Pro Bowl.
What round were you drafted in again? :rofl:
GrizFan5
Level1
Level1

Post by GrizFan5 »

BlackFalkin wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Kickers aren't drafted.

And NFL pro bowl records:

"Kickoff Returns

Return yards, game- 326, Marc Mariani, Tennessee (2011)"
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

BlackFalkin wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Kickers aren't drafted.

So, let me get this straight:

Eastern Washington currently has SIX players in the NFL:

Matt Johnson (4th Rd, Olympia WA) - No career stats
Taiwan Jones (4th Rd, San Francisco, CA) - such a great RB he was converted to a CB, has 33 career tackles and 2 FF, 27 rushing attempts for 117 yards, 6 receptions for 91 yards. in FOUR YEARS in the NFL
Brandon Kaufman (FA, Denver, CO) - No career stats
Nathan Overbay (FA, Lakewood, WA) - No career stats
Michael Roos (2nd Rd, Estonia) - OL, no career stats (unless you count the # of times he's been beaten for a sack).
Isaiah Trufant (FA, Tacoma, WA) - 46 tackles, 2 PD

Montana has:

Colt Anderson (FA, Butte, MT) - 71 tackles, 4 FF, 1 INT, 4 PD
Kroy Biermann (5th Rd, Hardin, MT) - 202 tackles, 1 FF, 2 FR, 2 INT for 81 yards (BOTH returned for TD's), 3 PD's, 16.5 career sacks

Now, I could stop right there and Montana wins this battle by a country fucking mile. But wait, there's more:

Dan Carpenter (FA, Omaha, NE) - 160-191 FGM, 186-187 XPM, 666 career NFL points, 83.6% FG%, 10 tackles, 1 Pro Bowl
Trumaine Johnson (3rd Rd, Stockton, CA) - 99 tackles, 1 FF, 5 INT's for 40 return yards, 19 PD's
Marc Mariani (7th Rd, Havre, MT) - 5 receptions, 73 PR's for 819 yards & 2 TD's, 92 KR's for 2278 yards & 1 TD, 1 rush for 4 yards, 6 career tackles, 1 pro bowl selection
Caleb McSurdy (5th rd, Boise, ID) - No career stats
Chase Reynolds (FA, Drummond, MT) - 1 PR, 6 tackles
Jabin Sambrano (FA, Temecula, CA) - NO career stats
Shann Schillinger (7th Rd, Baker, MT) - 19 tackles
Lex Hilliard (6th rd, Kalispell, MT) - 48 rushes, 163 yards, 2 TD's, 30 Receptions, 233 yards, 2 TD's, 1 FF, 2 FR's,
Jimmy Wilson (7th Rd, San Diego, CA) - 86 tackles, 2 sacks, 5 FF's, 3 INT's for 26 yards, 14 PD's, 3 blocked kicks

editors note: The above list doesn't even include OTHER players FROM Montana on NFL rosters (Dane Fletcher, Mike Person, Brock Osweiler, Dwan Edwards, etc).

And this little nugget from the NFL2013 website:
Based on research of 2013 Week 1 rosters, NFL players hail from 1,370 high schools in 48 states and the District of Columbia, six countries and one U.S. territory (American Samoa). The only states not represented were North Dakota and Vermont.

Perhaps most noteworthy, the states with the most players per capita are: Louisiana (1 NFL player per 73,119 people), South Carolina (1 per 85,655), Mississippi (1 per 92,728), Alabama (1 per 99,578), Florida (1 per 101,082), Georgia (1 per 101,975) and Montana (1 per 109,935).
And that # is about to improve dramatically when Tripp and Coyle get drafted today or tomorrow. In fact, using the above #'s, after tomorrow Montana will move up to 3rd behind South Carolina on that list of players per capita. What's Washington's # you might ask yourself? 1 per 331,905. Yes, that's NOT a typo. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Washington, a state of 6.97 MILLION people, has a total of 21 players on NFL rosters. Montana, a state with less than 1 million population, has ELEVEN. 8-) 8-)

So, in summary, Montana players are light-years better than the Washington players that come out of EWU, and our NON-Montana players are light-years better than the NON-Washington players that come out of EWU. In addition, Montana puts MORE players into the NFL than either Washington OR California on a per-capita basis. Ya'll might want to stick to shit you know something about. You know, like gang-bangin', bitches & hoe's, (c)rap music, etc., etc. Cuz you obviously don't know shit about football.

Thus endeth the lesson. :coffee: :coffee:
grizcountry420
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: The University of Montana

Post by grizcountry420 »

BF getting punked like a lil bitch....

:lol:
MrTitleist
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by MrTitleist »

Wasn't Carpenter from Helena, not Omaha?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Brock Landers
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Things

Post by Brock Landers »

Born in Omaha, raised in Helena (I assume)
CatBlitz22
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by CatBlitz22 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
BlackFalkin wrote:

So, let me get this straight:

Eastern Washington currently has SIX players in the NFL:

Matt Johnson (4th Rd, Olympia WA) - No career stats
Taiwan Jones (4th Rd, San Francisco, CA) - such a great RB he was converted to a CB, has 33 career tackles and 2 FF, 27 rushing attempts for 117 yards, 6 receptions for 91 yards. in FOUR YEARS in the NFL
Brandon Kaufman (FA, Denver, CO) - No career stats
Nathan Overbay (FA, Lakewood, WA) - No career stats
Michael Roos (2nd Rd, Estonia) - OL, no career stats (unless you count the # of times he's been beaten for a sack).
Isaiah Trufant (FA, Tacoma, WA) - 46 tackles, 2 PD

Montana has:

Colt Anderson (FA, Butte, MT) - 71 tackles, 4 FF, 1 INT, 4 PD
Kroy Biermann (5th Rd, Hardin, MT) - 202 tackles, 1 FF, 2 FR, 2 INT for 81 yards (BOTH returned for TD's), 3 PD's, 16.5 career sacks

Now, I could stop right there and Montana wins this battle by a country fucking mile. But wait, there's more:

Dan Carpenter (FA, Omaha, NE) - 160-191 FGM, 186-187 XPM, 666 career NFL points, 83.6% FG%, 10 tackles, 1 Pro Bowl
Trumaine Johnson (3rd Rd, Stockton, CA) - 99 tackles, 1 FF, 5 INT's for 40 return yards, 19 PD's
Marc Mariani (7th Rd, Havre, MT) - 5 receptions, 73 PR's for 819 yards & 2 TD's, 92 KR's for 2278 yards & 1 TD, 1 rush for 4 yards, 6 career tackles, 1 pro bowl selection
Caleb McSurdy (5th rd, Boise, ID) - No career stats
Chase Reynolds (FA, Drummond, MT) - 1 PR, 6 tackles
Jabin Sambrano (FA, Temecula, CA) - NO career stats
Shann Schillinger (7th Rd, Baker, MT) - 19 tackles
Lex Hilliard (6th rd, Kalispell, MT) - 48 rushes, 163 yards, 2 TD's, 30 Receptions, 233 yards, 2 TD's, 1 FF, 2 FR's,
Jimmy Wilson (7th Rd, San Diego, CA) - 86 tackles, 2 sacks, 5 FF's, 3 INT's for 26 yards, 14 PD's, 3 blocked kicks

editors note: The above list doesn't even include OTHER players FROM Montana on NFL rosters (Dane Fletcher, Mike Person, Brock Osweiler, Dwan Edwards, etc).

And this little nugget from the NFL2013 website:
Based on research of 2013 Week 1 rosters, NFL players hail from 1,370 high schools in 48 states and the District of Columbia, six countries and one U.S. territory (American Samoa). The only states not represented were North Dakota and Vermont.

Perhaps most noteworthy, the states with the most players per capita are: Louisiana (1 NFL player per 73,119 people), South Carolina (1 per 85,655), Mississippi (1 per 92,728), Alabama (1 per 99,578), Florida (1 per 101,082), Georgia (1 per 101,975) and Montana (1 per 109,935).
And that # is about to improve dramatically when Tripp and Coyle get drafted today or tomorrow. In fact, using the above #'s, after tomorrow Montana will move up to 3rd behind South Carolina on that list of players per capita. What's Washington's # you might ask yourself? 1 per 331,905. Yes, that's NOT a typo. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Washington, a state of 6.97 MILLION people, has a total of 21 players on NFL rosters. Montana, a state with less than 1 million population, has ELEVEN. 8-) 8-)

So, in summary, Montana players are light-years better than the Washington players that come out of EWU, and our NON-Montana players are light-years better than the NON-Washington players that come out of EWU. In addition, Montana puts MORE players into the NFL than either Washington OR California on a per-capita basis. Ya'll might want to stick to shit you know something about. You know, like gang-bangin', bitches & hoe's, (c)rap music, etc., etc. Cuz you obviously don't know shit about football.

Thus endeth the lesson. :coffee: :coffee:
:rofl: :clap: :clap: :clap:

BF probably can't read past the size sticker on his flat-brimmed gangsta hat.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

:lol: :lol:

:popcorn: :popcorn:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire