kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Oddly early preseason top-25 FCS

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:Again, I watched SUU play in person this year and they have some talent. They at least kept the game with us closer than Nova did. :coffee:
:blah:

CP is a pretty solid program. Davis and SUU have done nothing, unless you want to talk about keeping games close and being competitive. This whole discussion about the GWFC and where they stack up is stupid anyway given that it won't exist in another year.
This pretty much what I said from the start. So apology accepted. :thumb:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote:CP is a pretty solid program. Davis and SUU have done nothing, unless you want to talk about keeping games close and being competitive. This whole discussion about the GWFC and where they stack up is stupid anyway given that it won't exist in another year.
This pretty much what I said from the start. So apology accepted. :thumb:
Glad we agree. :thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Seriously kalm, SUU? They're 25-51 since joining the GWFC in 2004, and have only had 2 winning seasons when they won 6 games. How many conferences are touting teams with .329 winning percentages as one of their "strong" teams? :rofl:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote:Seriously kalm, SUU? They're 25-51 since joining the GWFC in 2004, and have only had 2 winning seasons when they won 6 games. How many conferences are touting teams with .329 winning percentages as one of their "strong" teams? :rofl:
Um yeah, this would make sense if I was proclaiming the GW as a power conference or SUU the second coming. :dunce:

How many teams from the Ivy, MEAC, Patriot, Pioneer, SWAC would have gone 6-5 with this schedule including losing a nail biter to the eventual national champs? That's the tier they were put in. :coffee:

Sat, Sept 4 @Wyoming L28-20 0-1
Sat, Sept 11 vsSan Diego W32-3 1-1
Sat, Sept 18 @San Jose State L16-11 1-2
Sat, Sept 25 @Texas State L42-28 1-3
Sat, Oct 2 vsNorthern Arizona L26-23 1-4
Sat, Oct 9 @North Dakota W31-21 2-4
Sat, Oct 16 vsCal Poly W20-7 3-4
Sat, Oct 23 vsSouth Dakota W31-13 4-4
Sat, Oct 30 @UC Davis W55-24 5-4
Sat, Nov 6 vsDixie State W52-0 6-4
Sat, Nov 13 @Eastern Washington L31-24 6-5
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Seriously kalm, SUU? They're 25-51 since joining the GWFC in 2004, and have only had 2 winning seasons when they won 6 games. How many conferences are touting teams with .329 winning percentages as one of their "strong" teams? :rofl:
Um yeah, this would make sense if I was proclaiming the GW as a power conference or SUU the second coming. :dunce:

How many teams from the Ivy, MEAC, Patriot, Pioneer, SWAC would have gone 6-5 with this schedule including losing a nail biter to the eventual national champs? That's the tier they were put in. :coffee:

So you're saying I should just ignore the 26 games under .500 since joining the GWFC, the 5 straight losing seasons before this past season, the lack of ever even being considered for the playoffs, and instead only look at a miscellaneous game in the middle of November of one year where they hung close to good team while having a season where they didn't beat anyone they shouldn't have beaten and had a few losses that raise eyebrows (Tex St for one, and even losing to San Jose St - seriously, that team was brutally bad, regardless of what level they say they play at)? Sure, if you want to leave objectivity aside, SUU is a really up and coming team and certainly elevates the GWFC over the other lower tier conferences. See, it's much easier to make these pronouncements when facts aren't necessary. :rofl:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:

Lehigh beat UNI in the playoffs in the road, so there's one right there.

San Diego went 5-3 in the Pioneer and lost to Azusa Pacific, so they're a win for at least one team from each of those conferences.

Dixie State is a win for at least one from each.

UND was terrible last year.

USD lost to Lamar for goodness sake.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote:
kalm wrote:

So you're saying I should just ignore the 26 games under .500 since joining the GWFC, the 5 straight losing seasons before this past season, the lack of ever even being considered for the playoffs, and instead only look at a miscellaneous game in the middle of November of one year where they hung close to good team while having a season where they didn't beat anyone they shouldn't have beaten and had a few losses that raise eyebrows (Tex St for one, and even losing to San Jose St - seriously, that team was brutally bad, regardless of what level they say they play at)? Sure, if you want to leave objectivity aside, SUU is a really up and coming team and certainly elevates the GWFC over the other lower tier conferences. See, it's much easier to make these pronouncements when facts aren't necessary. :rofl:
You can ignore whatever you would like. They're improving and ONE of several reasons why I would rank their conference above the aforementioned. Sorry this is so confusing for you. :kisswink:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: You can ignore whatever you would like. They're improving and ONE of several reasons why I would rank their conference above the aforementioned. Sorry this is so confusing for you. :kisswink:
There's nothing hard to understand - you made a silly statement listing SUU as one of the strengths of the GWFC, and you rightly got called out for it. And you've been backpedaling ever since trying to avoid that reality. And seriously, now you accuse me of ignoring? You've practically ignored everything SUU did up until that close loss this past November, which is really the entirety of your reasoning for why SUU should be considered a strong team. It's okay, you made a mistake in an earlier post - we forgive you for it. :thumb:
FargoBison
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by FargoBison »

Kalm what you did say was preposterous, on the strength of SUU. I mean come on, SUU may very well be a solid team next year but as of now they've done nothing of significance as a member of the GWFC. For most of their time in the conference they've been a cellar dweller.

The GWFC used to a be a great conference but ever since the the Dakota State schools left its been mediocre at best.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote:
kalm wrote: You can ignore whatever you would like. They're improving and ONE of several reasons why I would rank their conference above the aforementioned. Sorry this is so confusing for you. :kisswink:
There's nothing hard to understand - you made a silly statement listing SUU as one of the strengths of the GWFC, and you rightly got called out for it. And you've been backpedaling ever since trying to avoid that reality. And seriously, now you accuse me of ignoring? You've practically ignored everything SUU did up until that close loss this past November, which is really the entirety of your reasoning for why SUU should be considered a strong team. It's okay, you made a mistake in an earlier post - we forgive you for it. :thumb:
1) As one of the strengths for the GW being a 2nd tier conference, that's all.

2) Ignoring was your word which is why I used it. :coffee:

3) If you go back the last three years SUU has gone 4-7, 5-6, and 6-5 playing very solid schedules against typically a pair of FBS opponents, some of the top teams in Big Sky, and a couple of games against TSU and one against UNI. They are showing improvement. I didn't need to go here, but even in this analysis your wrong. :nod:

Again, I'm truly sorry. :lol:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
1) As one of the strengths for the GW being a 2nd tier conference, that's all.

2) Ignoring was your word which is why I used it. :coffee:

3) If you go back the last three years SUU has gone 4-7, 5-6, and 6-5 playing very solid schedules against typically a pair of FBS opponents, some of the top teams in Big Sky, and a couple of games against TSU and one against UNI. They are showing improvement. I didn't need to go here, but even in this analysis your wrong. :nod:

Again, I'm truly sorry. :lol:
Dude, SUU is 20-30 all time in GWFC play - that's a .333 winning percentage which is only .005 points better than they're overall win % during the same timeframe. It doesn't matter who they play, they lose to most everyone and have a pretty clear track record of that. And forget this "the schedule's so tough" rant - they've typically played at least one DII or NAIA team (in one year they played two of them) and they got to play all four Dakota schools while they were transitioning from DII and were far below FCS scholarship levels. And they don't typically play a pair of FBS teams - they have in 2 seasons. Heck, they've had more seasons (3) where they didn't even play a single FBS team.

I understand your reluctance to concede this point, but refusing to admit that you overextended yourself in touting SUU doesn't change the fact that you did just that.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:Again, I'm truly sorry. :lol:
Don't sweat it kalm. We understand. 8-)
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

kalm you're dead on and don't give Gannonfan or 89 any more of your time on the subject. They both fancy themselves som sort of all knowing swammy on the subjects when you bring up teams like Weber, EWU, etc...as being "good" teams out this way.

They pulled that same kind of shit back in 2006 or 2007 when I told them Weber was a team that was better than record and may start to make some noise. They are always too busy pontificating and throwing out past records to recognize a trend in a particular team so just let them wallow in igorance on it.

Hell I've told em' that EWU was a real good team and they told me I was full of shit on that one too but they've learned better on that one now. :thumb:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:kalm you're dead on and don't give Gannonfan or 89 any more of your time on the subject. They both fancy themselves som sort of all knowing swammy on the subjects when you bring up teams like Weber, EWU, etc...as being "good" teams out this way.

They pulled that same kind of shit back in 2006 or 2007 when I told them Weber was a team that was better than record and may start to make some noise. They are always too busy pontificating and throwing out past records to recognize a trend in a particular team so just let them wallow in igorance on it.

Hell I've told em' that EWU was a real good team and they told me I was full of shit on that one too but they've learned better on that one now. :thumb:
:rofl: Now all of a sudden SUU and UCD are EWU.

BTW, what noise did Weber make? Sounded like a whimper to me... 38-0. The only team they've beaten in the playoffs?... wait for it... Cal Poly. :thumb:
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana, WCU & FCS
A.K.A.: Rehab-aholic

Post by Appaholic »

89Hen wrote:
Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:kalm you're dead on and don't give Gannonfan or 89 any more of your time on the subject. They both fancy themselves som sort of all knowing swammy on the subjects when you bring up teams like Weber, EWU, etc...as being "good" teams out this way.

BTW, what noise did Weber make? Sounded like a whimper to me... 38-0. The only team they've beaten in the playoffs?... wait for it... Cal Poly. :thumb:
:doh:
http://www.takeahikewnc.com

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

Consume. Watch TV. Be Silent. Work. Die.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

89Hen wrote:

Yeah, what's your point? They have to get through the tough teams out west and that doesn't always happen because only one gets out of the region.

Now I was just using what you or GF had posted previous about Weber, EWU and so forth being good teams. They got waxed by W&M there is no doubt on that but it happens and W&M just had the matchups.

SUU & UCD are good teams. I ain't saying that they would win the CAA, The MVFC, or the Southern but they are already playing schedules as tough as any of those teams and doing about as well as any middle in those conferences could expect to do. kalm's argument that the GWFC is a second tier conference hold all the water it needs to.

BTW how come you took on the Weber claim but not the EWU that you have argued against me in the past? :rofl:
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

Appaholic wrote:
89Hen wrote: :rofl: Now all of a sudden SUU and UCD are EWU.

:doh:
How is that a "doh" Appa?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:Yeah, what's your point? They have to get through the tough teams out west and that doesn't always happen because only one gets out of the region.
I guess to ODU and Hampton William and Mary is considered "west". :lol:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:BTW how come you took on the Weber claim but not the EWU that you have argued against me in the past? :rofl:
EWU won the NC this year and showed they had a great team this year. Prior to the start of this season, they had no track record as being a top team... a couple of first round wins since 1998. My position on them was validated for 12 years. If I'm right 11 out of 12 times... I'll take that. :thumb:
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

89Hen wrote:
Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:Yeah, what's your point? They have to get through the tough teams out west and that doesn't always happen because only one gets out of the region.
I guess to ODU and Hampton William and Mary is considered "west". :lol:
I'm sure they are.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

89Hen wrote:
Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:BTW how come you took on the Weber claim but not the EWU that you have argued against me in the past? :rofl:
EWU won the NC this year and showed they had a great team this year. Prior to the start of this season, they had no track record as being a top team... a couple of first round wins since 1998. My position on them was validated for 12 years. If I'm right 11 out of 12 times... I'll take that. :thumb:
Oh, I see you are taking the D1B approach and taking the one team that wins it all as being the good team. Good logic hen cuz it really can't go wrong for you. Doesn't change the fact that you got owned by kalm in his statement. That good enough for me. :thumb:
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

GannonFan wrote:
Dude, SUU is 20-30 all time in GWFC play - that's a .333 winning percentage which is only .005 points better than they're overall win % during the same timeframe.
Well fuck, when you have math and English skills like that, who needs to know anything about good football teams? :rofl:
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Dude, SUU is 20-30 all time in GWFC play - that's a .333 winning percentage which is only .005 points better than they're overall win % during the same timeframe.
Well fuck, when you have math and English skills like that, who needs to know anything about good football teams? :rofl:
Exactly. Same shit every time. They don't worry about looking at the fact that there are teams like this on the edge of being able to do what a team like EWU did this year. You see that's their weakness is that they pull out some overall record over the past 5 yrs. and take that as the only tool of discovery. :lol:

Some real fucking thinkers out that way.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:
89Hen wrote: EWU won the NC this year and showed they had a great team this year. Prior to the start of this season, they had no track record as being a top team... a couple of first round wins since 1998. My position on them was validated for 12 years. If I'm right 11 out of 12 times... I'll take that. :thumb:
Oh, I see you are taking the D1B approach and taking the one team that wins it all as being the good team. Good logic hen cuz it really can't go wrong for you. Doesn't change the fact that you got owned by kalm in his statement. That good enough for me. :thumb:
:lol: So cute when you guys stick together against all odds (and facts). :kisswink:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
Exactly. Same shit every time. They don't worry about looking at the fact that there are teams like this on the edge of being able to do what a team like EWU did this year. You see that's their weakness is that they pull out some overall record over the past 5 yrs. and take that as the only tool of discovery. :lol:

Some real fucking thinkers out that way.
We've heard SUU was on the verge the last three years. If you keep saying it, eventually you may be right.