Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Re: The New Big Sky Conference

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

nwFL Griz wrote:
JBB wrote:Seems like its getting more likely the WAC will merge with another conference, possibly the BSC. FBS & FCS football divisions. Lots of competition, unique league. Its a good idea.
What are you even talking about here...you got any kind of link to back up that outrageous idea?
dbackjon started a thread on here about that exact viability probably 8 months ago. I don't think it would happen but there was a pretty good discussion on it and if it could happen. I'm surprised to see it surfacing now and would be interested in a link as well.
nwFL Griz
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: nwFL Griz

Post by nwFL Griz »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:
nwFL Griz wrote:
What are you even talking about here...you got any kind of link to back up that outrageous idea?
dbackjon started a thread on here about that exact viability probably 8 months ago. I don't think it would happen but there was a pretty good discussion on it and if it could happen. I'm surprised to see it surfacing now and would be interested in a link as well.
It doesn't make any sense to me at all. The WAC will never willingly give up it's "brand" and I highly doubt the Big Sky would either. What are the benefits of this idea? Unless you can convince one or two of the BSC teams to go FBS, it sounds like this idea just entails changing the BSC name to WAC (FCS).

Clue me in here.

(This is assuming the WAC is able to get enough members to remain an FBS conference. They are already good in b-ball, so that doesn't matter.)
Shawn D.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

nwFL Griz wrote:
Ursus A. Horribilis wrote: dbackjon started a thread on here about that exact viability probably 8 months ago. I don't think it would happen but there was a pretty good discussion on it and if it could happen. I'm surprised to see it surfacing now and would be interested in a link as well.
It doesn't make any sense to me at all. The WAC will never willingly give up it's "brand" and I highly doubt the Big Sky would either. What are the benefits of this idea? Unless you can convince one or two of the BSC teams to go FBS, it sounds like this idea just entails changing the BSC name to WAC (FCS).

Clue me in here.

(This is assuming the WAC is able to get enough members to remain an FBS conference. They are already good in b-ball, so that doesn't matter.)
I didn't say I was advocating it or anything. I don't remember the benefits I just said it was interesting...for one that it was brought up in the first place and second that it appears here again many months later. I don't have time to go look for it but maybe somebody else has it bookmarked or remembers the thread title.
nwFL Griz
Level1
Level1
A.K.A.: nwFL Griz

Post by nwFL Griz »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:
nwFL Griz wrote:

Clue me in here.

I didn't say I was advocating it or anything. I don't remember the benefits I just said it was interesting...for one that it was brought up in the first place and second that it appears here again many months later. I don't have time to go look for it but maybe somebody else has it bookmarked or remembers the thread title.
No sweat, I wasn't necessarily directing my comments toward you, just anyone in general who felt like defending this idea. Plus the fact that it was brought up (this time) by JBB should tell you it is not really based in reality.
Shawn D.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

nwFL Griz wrote:
Ursus A. Horribilis wrote: I didn't say I was advocating it or anything. I don't remember the benefits I just said it was interesting...for one that it was brought up in the first place and second that it appears here again many months later. I don't have time to go look for it but maybe somebody else has it bookmarked or remembers the thread title.
No sweat, I wasn't necessarily directing my comments toward you, just anyone in general who felt like defending this idea. Plus the fact that it was brought up (this time) by JBB should tell you it is not really based in reality.
Good point. :lol:

It doesn't seem like it at the outset but there were a couple of interesting scenarios in the mix so I wish I had bookmarked it but maybe dback can find it. I just remember how crazy it sounded at first but then my stance softened as the debate moved froward...if it were a necessity kind of thing.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

The Big Sky scheduling 13 members over 3 time zones makes just as much sense , if not less, than a WAC BSC merger featuring both FBS and FCS football divisions. There could be a divisional playoff for the conference title? The Basketball and other sports scheduling would have lots of options. There would certainly be more than 1 AQ for the Basketball tournament. It would be a big deal except 1 of the Commissioners would have to go, or be demoted to running the FCS football division. Lots of other staff would have to go too. It would be an interesting cost savings measure through consolidation of operations.

As the WAC searches for a way to survive and keep the trademark producing revenues, no idea can be dismissed.

It appears that both conferences are facing some instability with membership issues and the trend is tward larger conferences.
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Interesting...but it will never happen.
T-Dog
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: App St
A.K.A.: tdog231

Post by T-Dog »

Fullerton confirmed that each team will have two "rivalry" games that will be played every year. What is known so far.

UND: UNC and MSU
MSU: UND and UM
UM: MSU and EWU
EWU: UM and PSU

I've tried working it out, but unless the Cal schools don't play each other every year, then someone is biting the bullet in this.
twitter.com/tdogappst

App State's Final SoCon Record: 204-87-5

All Time W-L-T - 567-321-28
kemajic
Level2
Level2
A.K.A.: Kemajic

Post by kemajic »

T-Dog wrote:Fullerton confirmed that each team will have two "rivalry" games that will be played every year. What is known so far.

I've tried working it out, but unless the Cal schools don't play each other every year, then someone is biting the bullet in this.
These should be called "geographic games." Most aren't rivalries at all. It's Fullerton's lame attempt to limit the travel cost increase he has created by this ill-conceived and unecessary expainsion. This just contributes to an already unbalanced schedule by making it even less equitable. He would love to level the playing field.
"People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe." - Andy Rooney
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

kemajic wrote:
T-Dog wrote:Fullerton confirmed that each team will have two "rivalry" games that will be played every year. What is known so far.

These should be called "geographic games." Most aren't rivalries at all. It's Fullerton's lame attempt to limit the travel cost increase he has created by this ill-conceived and unecessary expainsion. This just contributes to an already unbalanced schedule by making it even less equitable. He would love to level the playing field.
"Rivalries"

Cal Poly -UCD & SSU
Montana -MSU & EWU
UC Davis -CPU & SSU
Idaho State -WSU & UNC
Weber State -ISU & SUU
North Dakota -MSU & UM
Portland State -EWU & ISU
Southern Utah -WSU & NAU
Montana State - UND & UM
Northern Arizona -SUU & UNC
Sacramento State -UCD & CPU
Northern Colorado -ISU & NAU
Eastern Washington -PSU & UM

BULLET PROOF! :coffee:

The University of Idaho would make this perfect!
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
Hambone
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: U of North Dakota

Post by Hambone »

BlackFalkin wrote:
kemajic wrote: These should be called "geographic games." Most aren't rivalries at all. It's Fullerton's lame attempt to limit the travel cost increase he has created by this ill-conceived and unecessary expainsion. This just contributes to an already unbalanced schedule by making it even less equitable. He would love to level the playing field.
"Rivalries"

Cal Poly -UCD & SSU
Montana -MSU & EWU
UC Davis -CPU & SSU
Idaho State -WSU & UNC
Weber State -ISU & SUU
North Dakota -MSU & UM
Portland State -EWU & ISU
Southern Utah -WSU & NAU
Montana State - UND & UM
Northern Arizona -SUU & UNC
Sacramento State -UCD & CPU
Northern Colorado -ISU & NAU
Eastern Washington -PSU & UM

BULLET PROOF! :coffee:

The University of Idaho would make this perfect!
The only flaw I see is that you have Montana listed as three school's rivals, and UND only listed as one schools rival....
THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING HAWKS
SloStang
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Cal Poly

Post by SloStang »

That and he has SUU as rivals with Cal Poly, UC Davis, Weber State and Northern Arizona.

I'd say it is anything but bullet proof.
SloStang
Level2
Level2

Post by SloStang »

More likely:

CP = NAU & UCD
UCD = CP & Sac
Sac = UCD & PSU
PSU = Sac & EWU
EWU = PSU & UM
UM = EWU & MSU
MSU = UM & UND
UND = MSU & UNC
UNC = UND & ISU
ISU = UNC & WSU
WSU = ISU & SUU
SUU = WSU & NAU
NAU = CP & SUU
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

SloStang wrote:More likely:

CP = NAU & UCD
UCD = CP & Sac
Sac = UCD & PSU
PSU = Sac & EWU
EWU = PSU & UM
UM = EWU & MSU
MSU = UM & UND
UND = MSU & UNC
UNC = UND & ISU
ISU = UNC & WSU
WSU = ISU & SUU
SUU = WSU & NAU
NAU = CP & SUU
That looks like something I posted. :coffee:

:D
kemajic
Level2
Level2

Post by kemajic »

Brilliant. You guys could give Fullerton a run for his money.
"People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe." - Andy Rooney
SloStang
Level2
Level2

Post by SloStang »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:

CP = NAU & UCD
UCD = CP & Sac
Sac = UCD & PSU
PSU = Sac & EWU
EWU = PSU & UM
UM = EWU & MSU
MSU = UM & UND
UND = MSU & UNC
UNC = UND & ISU
ISU = UNC & WSU
WSU = ISU & SUU
SUU = WSU & NAU
NAU = CP & SUU

What's that saying about great minds? Don't mind Kem, he just a grumpy old man.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SloStang wrote:What's that saying about great minds? Don't mind Kem, he just a grumpy old man.
He is still trying to recover from MSU keeping UM in FCS…recovery may take some time…
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SloStang wrote:That and he has SUU as rivals with Cal Poly, UC Davis, Weber State and Northern Arizona.

For us I don’t think it will really matter. I think there will be defacto schools playing each other year in and year out due to geography. For Sac State, ucd and CP or PSU will be Fullerton’s “official” rivalries, but I would think the annual BSC matchups will be:
  • • ucd (locked and this ain’t changing)
    • CP (if not listed as “rivals” I don’t see why the BSC won’t schedule them every year)
    • PSU
    • SUU
    • NAU
So that’s 4 BSC matchups with the other 4 BSC games rotating with however they decide on a rotation. I would think something similar would happen for pretty much everyone else. :twocents:
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

SloStang wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:

What's that saying about great minds? Don't mind Kem, he just a grumpy old man.
They copy from SE174?
viewtopic.php?p=436103#p436103" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:kisswink:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

SloStang wrote:That and he has SUU as rivals with Cal Poly, UC Davis, Weber State and Northern Arizona.

Actually, you fell into his trap, Slo. For CP/UCFE, that "SSU" isn't a typo for "SUU." It's Sac State. To prevent the confusion, perhaps "CSUS" (or, preferrably, just "Sac") should have been used.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

CP = NAU & UCD -Sacramento State?
UCD = CP & Sac
Sac = UCD & PSU
PSU = Sac & EWU
EWU = PSU & UM
UM = EWU & MSU
MSU = UM & UND
UND = MSU & UNC
UNC = UND & ISU
ISU = UNC & WSU
WSU = ISU & SUU
SUU = WSU & NAU
NAU = CP & SUU
You break up the California schools? Its only right that they be each others' rival.
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
native
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Weber State

Post by native »

kemajic wrote:

Good point about geographic games. I still like the concept of the expanded BSC, though.
Proud Prince of Purple Pomposity
YT is not a communist. He's just a ...young pup.
kemajic
Level2
Level2

Post by kemajic »

native wrote:
kemajic wrote: These should be called "geographic games." Most aren't rivalries at all. It's Fullerton's lame attempt to limit the travel cost increase he has created by this ill-conceived and unecessary expainsion. This just contributes to an already unbalanced schedule by making it even less equitable. He would love to level the playing field.
Good point about geographic games. I still like the concept of the expanded BSC, though.
I think it was more reaction than concept.
SloStang
Level2
Level2

Post by SloStang »

If the Big Sky is going to stay at 13 teams for football I like the model that each team has 4 rivals and alternates the other 4 games with between the other 8 teams. That way you see your rivals (the 4 teams that are closet to you) every year and every other team once every two years. For Cal Poly that means only traveling to North Dakota once every 4 years. Helps to build rivals and cuts down on travel expense.
collegesportsinfo
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: UMass
A.K.A.: Quinn, KingCal

Post by collegesportsinfo »

bojeta wrote:Definitely agree that the Big Sky needs to find a 14th member. I'm gonna make an argument for UCSB. Here's a portion of a response I posted in UC Santa Barbara's Nexus newspaper:

....The opportunity to capitalize on that in `92 after moving to DII was ripe, but lack of communication and misinformation killed that opportunity. Now, there is an outstanding opportunity again. Cal Poly and UC Davis just moved to the Big Sky Conference, one of the top FCS conferences in the nation. UCSB has both the facilities, the location, the academic focus and the student body to compete at the FCS level. If only they could find the collective will to do so. First, however, they need to be informed. Having previously competed at a lower division, the move to FCS should be without sanctions. The Big Sky is ideal geographically for minimizing travel expense and rivalries with Davis, Sac and Poly would be built into the equation. Harder Stadium is an ideal FCS facility with over 17,500 existing seats and room for expansion if needed. The surrounding population is affluent and many are alumni of either UCSB, Cal Poly, Davis or one of the other member schools. I myself along with my daughter are Cal Poly alumni. My wife, two siblings and a niece are UCSB alumni and my daughter is currently working on her Ph.D at UC Davis. I know many people supporting each of these institutions; alumni, students, faculty etc. This would be a great thing for each school and each community. I strongly recommend it be considered with open minds. Here are some photos of UCSB football from the early 60's when they were DI to the late 80's when they were DIII and then DII Got to love that pic from `71 when Palamino is getting crushed by the entire Tennessee defense! lol

As a frequent visitor to Santa Barbara, I've always felt they would be perfect for FCS. It's a good sized community that could easily support football at the FCS level. I went out of my way to goto SB last spring when UCSB was in the NCAa tourney. It was spring break, but the town was still in full support with bars packed...despite the students not being their.
- Quinn

CollegeSportsInfo.com:
NCAA Message Board Directory, Conference Realignment Forums & Expansion News