Are you happy with your current conference?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
tampajag
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: whooties
A.K.A.: hamburger pimp

Re: Are you happy with your current conference?

Post by tampajag »

dbackjon wrote:
tampajag wrote:Competitivly, I really have no choice, we missed our opportunity to improve by about 10 years. After some shoddy work by the administration, every one has to work hard just to get back to where we used to be. So many people have passed us by it's not even funny.

So what needs to be done?
#1 Smarter scheduling. Less money games and more games (home/home) that are winnable.
#2 Better support and vision from the SWAC Office
#3 Better recruiting
#4 Better Coaching
#5 More support from us (alumni)
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: poontang
A.K.A.: Rainman

Post by Fresno St. Alum »

For UC Davis, they need to get San Diego to add schollys or get another western D-II team to move up (C.Washington, Humboldt St.) or else there is no hope for the GWFC. I do think that UC Davis will end up in the WAC within the next 10 years. 30,000 students and being in CA its much easier to be FBS.

As for Fresno St. I have wanted them to be in the MWC along with Boise St. and either Hawaii or Nevada. Just need the MWC to want us.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Fresno seems to be a natural for the Mountain West. That would give them 10 strong teams.
:thumb:
MrTitleist
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by MrTitleist »

Boise St. is sending letters to MWC presidents touting their program, begging for entry. Only one president responded to the letters.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

SUUTbird wrote:I belive SUU will move up into the Big Sky eventually. They are begining to it seems play some more Big Sky schools in their schedual and when NoCol was in the Great West they always gave each other a good game. And look what happened in 07 Montana only pulled away in the 4th quarter against SUU when the score was 17-9, and when SUU went to MSU they lost 7-3. Even though their 0-11 record didnt show it my T-Birds could be a gritty team when they needed to be.
But if that doesnt happen the GWC needs to step it up and try to get more schools into the conference. Especially because the Dakotas might leave to join the gateway after there introduction years are up. Just one more team would allow at least 1 automatic bid into the playoffs, that is if the dakotas stayed. San Diego for instance should leave the pioneer conference and join the Great West, that would save expenses for them drastically. This is what should happen with the GWC:

GWC TEAMS
-Cal Poly
-UC-Davis
-SUU
-North Dakota (if they dont leave)
-South Dakota (if they dont leave)
-San Diego
First of all it's good to have a Southern Utah fan here. Am I misunderstanding you or did you not know that NDSU and SDSU are already gone from the GWFC? They start their first Gateway campaign this upcoming season. Also I know the TBirds were better than the record they had last year. Tat big QB looks like he could've been a stud if he could have had a little more help. On top of that you guys had one guy on your roster named Truck Dye I think. That is one of the best names ever.
MrTitleist
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by MrTitleist »

I think he's talking about the UxD's, not the xDSU's. And yeah, I think it's legit that the UxD's could leave for the Gateway eventually.. it makes sense geographically as both schools are very close to where the xDSU's are.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

MrTitleist wrote:I think he's talking about the UxD's, not the xDSU's. And yeah, I think it's legit that the UxD's could leave for the Gateway eventually.. it makes sense geographically as both schools are very close to where the xDSU's are.
OK, now I get it. My misunderstanding. Also I concur with the geography aspect, it would make a lot of sense for them.
SUUTbird
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Southern Utah
A.K.A.: SUU T-Birds

Post by SUUTbird »

Um Fresno state shouldnt be in the MWC...they arent even located near the rockies at all for that matter. The MWC needs to bring in Boise State and move San Diego State to the WAC, lets face it the Aztecs have been sucking at football for quiet a while now.
Now wondering, is it no schollys that is holding San Diego back from joining the Great West? Or is it more then that? The Pioneer conference literally stretches from coast to coast, so you know that the travel expenses alone must be staggering. And especially since the Dakotas are probably going to leave for the Gateway when they can. Some good news is that UVU (used to be Utah Valley State College) is considering getting a football program, and the school is growing so rapidly that who knows in 5 years they might have a program. But that is a slim hope so the Great West is going to have to depend on d2-schools moving up poissbly like Central Washington, Western Washington, Humbolt State and West Texas A&M.

GWFC:
-SUU
-UC-Davis
-Cal Poly
-Central Washington
-San Diego
-Humbolt State
-West Texas A&M
-Western Washington
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

umm SUU, since when does it matter that Fresno is in CA along with SDSU? UNLV is no where near the mountains, neither is TCU. If MWC goes to 10 then Boise should go, if they went to 12 then add Fresno & Nevada.
Last edited by Fresno St. Alum on Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

If I'm SUU I'd do all I could to get the Big Sky to let me in then be set for life and not have to worry about rounding up D-II schools and non-scholly USD
SUUTbird
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Southern Utah
A.K.A.: SUU T-Birds

Post by SUUTbird »

I hope the Big Sky lets Southern Utah in, they really should. Their location makes sense and it could start a rivalry with Weber State and NAU. SUU could compete in the BIg Sky pretty well, they played very well against Montana State and Montana, and i know for sure they could beat Sac State and possibly UNC. Hope the Big Sky will take them.
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana, WCU & FCS
A.K.A.: Rehab-aholic

Post by Appaholic »

Overall, happy with the Southern.......would like to get rid of the non-football schools like Davidson, UNCG, etc.......also, move the shitadel to conference with their vagina military brethren.....they don't bring any trim to the football tailgate..... :fuel:
http://www.takeahikewnc.com

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

Consume. Watch TV. Be Silent. Work. Die.
citdog
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: THE Citadel
A.K.A.: Pres.Jefferson Davis

Post by citdog »

Appaholic wrote:Overall, happy with the Southern.......would like to get rid of the non-football schools like Davidson, UNCG, etc.......also, move the shitadel to conference with their vagina military brethren.....they don't bring any trim to the football tailgate..... :fuel:
would like App to move with E. Kentucky so thay can swap sister screwin stories
"Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language"
"Save in defense of my native State I hope to never again draw my sword"
Genl Robert E. Lee
Confederate States of America
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Appaholic »

citdog wrote:
Appaholic wrote:Overall, happy with the Southern.......would like to get rid of the non-football schools like Davidson, UNCG, etc.......also, move the shitadel to conference with their vagina military brethren.....they don't bring any trim to the football tailgate..... :fuel:
would like App to move with E. Kentucky so thay can swap sister screwin stories
At least EKU could give us a game.....on the field and in our sister's room.... :mrgreen:

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

Sly Fox
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Liberty

Post by Sly Fox »

If you were in the Big South, would you be happy?

:x
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Appalachian
A.K.A.: Thread Killer

Post by BigApp »

Appaholic wrote:Overall, happy with the Southern.......would like to get rid of the non-football schools like Davidson, UNCG, etc.......
not me. Adding Samford has only weakened this conference (pick any sport) further. they're not even in the same time zone. Completely ridiculous to even consider them.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

ImageImage

Follow Barack Obama's Teleprompter Blog http://baracksteleprompter.blogspot.com/
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Appaholic »

BigApp wrote:
Appaholic wrote:Overall, happy with the Southern.......would like to get rid of the non-football schools like Davidson, UNCG, etc.......
not me. Adding Samford has only weakened this conference (pick any sport) further. they're not even in the same time zone. Completely ridiculous to even consider them.
Agree.....Samford brings NOTHING to the table......

Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

Sly Fox wrote:If you were in the Big South, would you be happy?

:x
That's pretty funny there fox. Nice and concise.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I'd like to know how SUUTBird thinks that his boys could take down Sac when they couldn't even get the job done when Sac was 4-6? Sac won a conference title that year, and SUU couldn't.

Scoreboard, baby!!!

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
rabidrabbit
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: SDSU Jackrabbits
A.K.A.: rabidrabbit80@yahoo.

Post by rabidrabbit »

For SDSU the Gateway conference for Football, and Summit for all sports makes a lot of sense.

The LOGICAL end of the process AFTER USD 'yotes and UND Sioux have served in purgatory long enough, and the addition of Wichita State playing football, IF SUU stays in the Summit, is to end up with a "Mo Valley", A "Summit", and Big Sky for out west. Only current school playing FCS ball left out is the Torero's of USD. However, they have stayed non-schollie, and show no inclination to change.

Mo Valley - UNI, SIU, IL SU, In SU, WSU, YSU

Summit - UND, USD, NDSU, SDSU, W IL U, SUU, POLY*, UC-DAVIS*

BIG SKY - CURRENT LINE-UP

IF six schools in a league sponsor the same type of football, then they need to be in a league together. So a huge driver for Summit/Great West Commissioner is to get the four Dakota schools into the Summit conference. However, since the Summit is driven by Basketball, not football, there is no incentive to add 2 MORE "non-core eligible" schools until the threat of having enough core eligible schools is no longer an issue. I do know that after SDSU/NDSU complete their commitment to the Summit that they would be THRILLED if MO VALLEY requested that they apply for membership.
FTG06'
I am a fan of: Montana State
A.K.A.: FTG06'

Post by FTG06' »

dbackjon wrote:
GrizFan88 wrote:I agree. It will be hard to creat a conference with enough close teams to play against. The problem is in states like Wyoming and Nevada, not enough schools big enough to join the Big Sky or the Why not this, have NAU and Sac state leave to join the Great West and have North Dakota and South Dakota join the Big Sky. That would clear up some travel issues but agreed it is still a far distance to travel. But if SUU could travel to North and South dakota to play the jackrabbits and the bison for over 5 years alot of Big Sky schools could. And the distance to the dakotas is around the same as Montana traveling to NAU. Just have the schools play one of the dakotas away and the other at home every year. THat would cut down on some expenses.

What good does that do? As you stated, the Dakotas are just as far, if not farther than NAU. Why would you want to add teams that are not eligible for 5 years, and get rid of a school that has been around since almost the beginning? And where do you suggest the rest of our sports go.

Not a well thought out plan for the conference, but then again, we know that most Griz fans think the Big Sky revolves around them... :roll:

NAU is one of the most remote college campuses anywhere. Not only is it at a very high altitude, but it is perched in an area where winter weather can become rather interesting very quickly. In the warmer months it is VERY hard to get into that airport (and be able to takeoff again), and in the winter months you have blizzards on that mountain pass that can make things very interesting (I saw that firsthand on a spring break trip). While I like NAU in the BSC, I imagine the coaches don't like travelling there very much.
guinzone
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Youngstown State
A.K.A.: Let's Go Guins

Post by guinzone »

YSU--GATEWAY CONFERENCE.

Absolutely loaded conference this year. Yes I love this conference!!!
Proud Youngstown State Fan
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

FTG06' wrote:
dbackjon wrote:
What good does that do? As you stated, the Dakotas are just as far, if not farther than NAU. Why would you want to add teams that are not eligible for 5 years, and get rid of a school that has been around since almost the beginning? And where do you suggest the rest of our sports go.

Not a well thought out plan for the conference, but then again, we know that most Griz fans think the Big Sky revolves around them... :roll:

NAU is one of the most remote college campuses anywhere. Not only is it at a very high altitude, but it is perched in an area where winter weather can become rather interesting very quickly. In the warmer months it is VERY hard to get into that airport (and be able to takeoff again), and in the winter months you have blizzards on that mountain pass that can make things very interesting (I saw that firsthand on a spring break trip). While I like NAU in the BSC, I imagine the coaches don't like travelling there very much.
First, welcome to CS FTG...hope you stick around...

I've looked at a map of all the FCS schools and am always amazed how western schools manage workable conferences...I don't have the map here, but if you draw a line north-south through the country with 50% of FCS schools on each side of the line, that line runs through eastern Ohio (if I remember correctly). I'll post it tonight when I get home...

Anyway, when it comes to travel budgets...OOC schedules...etc...I can see that west of the Mississippi can be very difficult and expensive... (Unless you are NDSU and never travel for OOC...per MplsBison :lol: :roll: )
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
skinny_uncle
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: SIU

Post by skinny_uncle »

MrTitleist wrote:I think he's talking about the UxD's, not the xDSU's. And yeah, I think it's legit that the UxD's could leave for the Gateway eventually.. it makes sense geographically as both schools are very close to where the xDSU's are.
I don't see any further expansion for the Gateway. Nine teams are plenty if you plan to play every other team in the conference. The only way either of the UxDs would get added would be if another team left the conference. I also doubt there would interest in adding a provisional team.
"You know you are getting old when time flies whether you are having fun or not."

putter
Level2
Level2

Post by putter »

First, welcome to CS FTG...hope you stick around...

I've looked at a map of all the FCS schools and am always amazed how western schools manage workable conferences...I don't have the map here, but if you draw a line north-south through the country with 50% of FCS schools on each side of the line, that line runs through eastern Ohio (if I remember correctly). I'll post it tonight when I get home...

Anyway, when it comes to travel budgets...OOC schedules...etc...I can see that west of the Mississippi can be very difficult and expensive... (Unless you are NDSU and never travel for OOC...per MplsBison

that is why I could not believe the Big Sky presidents did not admit the two Dakota schools. Fargo is not hard to get to and I am not sure about Brookings but nothing is more difficult to get to than Flagstaff. Fly to Phoenix and bus 2 hours.... :?:
‎"Born in other countries, yet believing you could be happy in this, our laws acknowledge, as they should do, your right to join us in society, conforming, as I doubt not you will do, to our established rules. That these rules shall be as equal as prudential considerations will admit, will certainly be the aim of our legislatures, general and particular." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Hugh White, 1801