Mike Johnson
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Utah/UVU/WSU/SUU/DSC
A.K.A.: Mike Johnson

Re: The New Big Sky Conference

Post by Mike Johnson »

-
Last edited by Mike Johnson on Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Mike Johnson
Level1
Level1

Post by Mike Johnson »

EWURanger wrote:I'm wondering how much of this is UVSU just paying lip service and how committed they really are to get into the Big Sky. Starting up football, even at the FCS level is no small feat, especially considering they don't have a venue to play in at the moment. I noticed they have a very large student body....are they more of a commuter type school, or do they have a sizable on-campus population?
I am not sure UVU (no "S"--they dropped "State" from their name when they were granted university status and had dropped "State" and "SC" from their signs a few years before that) is paying lip service. There was a huge amount of talk a few years ago about football. It was driven by passionate pleas from the then student body president. After achieving the goals of completing transition to the NCAA and attaining university status, there has been virtually no comment about football. In this economy, it is doubtful they could start it up. It remains a goal for someday, but that is about it.

They have no dorms. It is a commuter school with a main campus and several branch campuses. The student body is indeed large. They have nice facilities for basketball (which the NBA-D League Utah Flash also uses) and baseball (which the Pioneer League Orem Owlz--an Anaheim Angels minor league team) also use.
Image Image
Mike Johnson
Level1
Level1

Post by Mike Johnson »

Fresno St. Alum wrote: Colorado Mines wanting D-I? This is a new development that's news to me. If you're basing it on SH and no real info, then S.Utah will be in the Mountain West in 2012 :lol:
You know as much about Super Hornet's advocacy of Colorado Mines as I do. Of course, it was a response to the discussion about adding Southern Utah, North Dakota, and South Dakota to the Big Sky. Colorado Mines is not a bad team at the Division II level and geographically would make a good travel partner for Northern Colorado. But, I don't think there is anything going on there. They have a good thing going with all the relatively close RMAC schools.

BTW, it is too late for Southern Utah to be in the MWC in 2012, even if they were already FBS, which is beyond reason. They are too ecstatic about finally being in the Big Sky.
Image Image
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

EWURanger wrote:I'm wondering how much of this is UVSU just paying lip service and how committed they really are to get into the Big Sky. Starting up football, even at the FCS level is no small feat, especially considering they don't have a venue to play in at the moment. I noticed they have a very large student body....are they more of a commuter type school, or do they have a sizable on-campus population?

FWIW, rumors are that the Big Sky might be holding out for a "bigger" school.

Bottom line, I think finding that 14th member is all going to hinge upon what happens with the WAC. :twocents:

No offense to Utah Valley, but if Idaho comes a callin, I would take Idaho over UVU in a heartbeat.
Mike Johnson
Level1
Level1

Post by Mike Johnson »

Wildcat Ryan wrote:No offense to Utah Valley, but if Idaho comes a callin, I would take Idaho over UVU in a heartbeat.
I don't blame you. Idaho beat Utah State at home, UVU lost to USU. Idaho has a better basketball team. Idaho has a football team. Idaho has a more established athletics program. Idaho has a 15 million dollar athletics budget; UVU an 8 million dollar athletics budget. On the other hand, UVU is a metro area the size of Boise's. Idaho is in a micropolitan area smaller than Southern Utah's.

But, I don't see Idaho coming.
Image Image
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

Mike Johnson wrote:
Wildcat Ryan wrote:No offense to Utah Valley, but if Idaho comes a callin, I would take Idaho over UVU in a heartbeat.
I don't blame you. Idaho beat Utah State at home, UVU lost to USU. Idaho has a better basketball team. Idaho has a football team. Idaho has a more established athletics program. Idaho has a 15 million dollar athletics budget; UVU an 8 million dollar athletics budget. On the other hand, UVU is a metro area the size of Boise's. Idaho is in a micropolitan area smaller than Southern Utah's.

But, I don't see Idaho coming.

But I would love to see Utah Valley create a football team one day and join the Big Sky if Idaho doesnt come down. :nod:
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

Even the Big Sky fans have to go far afield to come up with a scenario that brings in a new member with football. All we had to do in the MVFC was hope for the UNO bid into the Summit. Nobody even speculated UNO would drop football. The solution for the Big Sky is probably just as hard to imagine. It will come from left field is my guess, just like the UNO announcement.
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
SUUTbird
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Southern Utah
A.K.A.: SUU T-Birds

Post by SUUTbird »

I think that what will probably happen more then UVU getting football is the possibility of either North Dakota leaving to join the MVC (not very confident that will happen) or that one or more teams will leave the Big Sky for the WAC (best bets for the WAC are Montana and Montana State, but since the WAC wanted one and not the other...). I would not mind seeing Idaho down in the Big Sky, however I doubt they will do that as they seem rather happy about being in the WAC, especially now because Boise has left.

And please no more Colorado School of Mines...the last thing I want to here is how a D2 school with only decent success in the D2 ranks is a better fit for the Big Sky then SUU :roll:. However I think a school from the RMAC and or GNAC would be a much better option for the Big Sky instead of waiting for UVU such as Western Oregon. or if we are still thinking Utah footprint maybe Dixie State since they are one of the few teams that have a large enough stadium (10,000) and are a growing school who if I remember correctly was seeking University status not to long ago, dont know if they are still toying with the idea or not.
BigSkyBears
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Northern Colorado

Post by BigSkyBears »

SUUTbird wrote:I think that what will probably happen more then UVU getting football is the possibility of either North Dakota leaving to join the MVC (not very confident that will happen) or that one or more teams will leave the Big Sky for the WAC (best bets for the WAC are Montana and Montana State, but since the WAC wanted one and not the other...). I would not mind seeing Idaho down in the Big Sky, however I doubt they will do that as they seem rather happy about being in the WAC, especially now because Boise has left.

And please no more Colorado School of Mines...the last thing I want to here is how a D2 school with only decent success in the D2 ranks is a better fit for the Big Sky then SUU :roll:. However I think a school from the RMAC and or GNAC would be a much better option for the Big Sky instead of waiting for UVU such as Western Oregon. or if we are still thinking Utah footprint maybe Dixie State since they are one of the few teams that have a large enough stadium (10,000) and are a growing school who if I remember correctly was seeking University status not to long ago, dont know if they are still toying with the idea or not.
The only person who is mentioning Mines is Super Hornet. He's reaching for that one.
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: poontang
A.K.A.: Rainman

Post by Fresno St. Alum »

BigSkyBears wrote:
SUUTbird wrote:I think that what will probably happen more then UVU getting football is the possibility of either North Dakota leaving to join the MVC (not very confident that will happen) or that one or more teams will leave the Big Sky for the WAC (best bets for the WAC are Montana and Montana State, but since the WAC wanted one and not the other...). I would not mind seeing Idaho down in the Big Sky, however I doubt they will do that as they seem rather happy about being in the WAC, especially now because Boise has left.

The only person who is mentioning Mines is Super Hornet. He's reaching for that one.
Yeah the only western school with football that can afford to move up is UBC who has to join D-II first and stay for 8 years. Mike can explain the 10 year rule to you guys about Canadian schools joining the NCAA.

C.Washington is the best football out west but they can't afford to move. Mike and I talk with the CWU people on the D-II board a lot.
bojeta
I am a fan of: Cal Poly
A.K.A.: Mustangs

Post by bojeta »

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
BigSkyBears wrote:
I agree. C. WA is about as solid a DII program as you'll find out west. Humboldt State has been very good the past couple of years and looks to be strong again for 2011. Not known as a power in the DII world, but has a long tradition of football and might be a candidate some time in the future. I really can't say I've looked into their ability to make the move, only that they seem to be very committed to continuing and growing their program which appears to be working.
Mike Johnson
Level1
Level1

Post by Mike Johnson »

SUUTbird wrote:...maybe Dixie State since they are one of the few teams that have a large enough stadium (10,000) and are a growing school who if I remember correctly was seeking University status not to long ago, dont know if they are still toying with the idea or not.
DSC was in discussions with the University of Utah to become the University of Utah in St. George. It looked like it was going to happen and then all talk about it petered out. They changed the nickname from Rebel to Red Storm to accommodate the U. Utah also wanted Dixie removed from the school name and that might have been a deal breaker.

These things can go fast. Look how fast it took for the College of Eastern Utah to become Utah State University-College of Eastern Utah. They are now owned and operated by USU. Given that USU provides bachelors, masters, and a doctorate on both CEU campuses, I wonder how long it will be before this school leaves the NJCAA to become part of the NAIA. I doubt they could get to 10 sports to become NCAA Division II, but they could join the NAIA. I doubt they would restart football--just a small trivia note, but current Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham a couple of decades ago was head football coach at CEU.
Image Image
jacobadam
I am a fan of: California

Post by jacobadam »

http://WWW.CALSNS.COM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PREDICTS THE BIG SKY AND TALK ABOUT BIG SKY FOOTBALL TEAMS.
CPAlum
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Cal Poly

Post by CPAlum »

jacobadam wrote:http://WWW.CALSNS.COM PREDICTS THE BIG SKY AND TALK ABOUT BIG SKY FOOTBALL TEAMS.
I think I could do a better job predicting the results from two years ago? :roll: ....
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

CPAlum wrote:
jacobadam wrote:http://WWW.CALSNS.COM PREDICTS THE BIG SKY AND TALK ABOUT BIG SKY FOOTBALL TEAMS.
I think I could do a better job predicting the results from two years ago? :roll: ....
You mean you're not interested in random prognostications on the upcoming 2009 football season? Come on!
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

http://sundial.csun.edu/2011/03/would-y ... m-at-csun/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hmmm.....
S F State Gaters
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: San Francisco State?

Post by S F State Gaters »

bojeta wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
I agree. C. WA is about as solid a DII program as you'll find out west. Humboldt State has been very good the past couple of years and looks to be strong again for 2011. Not known as a power in the DII world, but has a long tradition of football and might be a candidate some time in the future. I really can't say I've looked into their ability to make the move, only that they seem to be very committed to continuing and growing their program which appears to be working.
I've always been fascinated by Humboldt State's endurance; the ONLY division II team in California after having the entire NCAC be destroyed around them and still surviving and playing on, despite being hundreds of kilometres away from the nearest opponent. They were SF State's conference rival along with Sonoma State, CSU Hayward, Chico State when they also all still had their teams, along with Sac State and Cal Davis who have obviously since moved up.

Humboldt State strikes me as the ultimate response to the constant argument made against bringing football back to any number of California schools at virtually any level; they've managed to do it and they don't have a half-dozen rivals already in their immediate footprint as is the case for UCSB/UOP or various LA Basin schools. Humboldt is the last bastion of D-II football in our state and I for one bow down to their accomplishment ! :notworthy:

That said, I don't know how they can keep it up, only that they have done so where every other institution has balked at the prospect. I would imagine that moving up to FCS would be conceivable if not desirable where they would compliment the Big Sky, being reasonably proximate to PSU, Cal Davis, Sac State, Cal Poly and (less so) Eastern Washington. Humboldt State remains ever the enigma, the lone bastion of college football in the Far West at the D-II level
LONG LIVE THE NCAC! LONG LIVE SAN FRANCISCO STATE FOOTBALL!

SUUTbird
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Southern Utah
A.K.A.: SUU T-Birds

Post by SUUTbird »

S F State Gaters wrote:I would imagine that moving up to FCS would be conceivable if not desirable where they would compliment the Big Sky, being reasonably proximate to PSU, Cal Davis, Sac State, Cal Poly and (less so) Eastern Washington. Humboldt State remains ever the enigma, the lone bastion of college football in the Far West at the D-II level
This is actually not a bad Idea especially in terms of the geographical footprinat and when in search for a 14th member to join the Big Sky. The Jacks would fit perfectly into either a North/South division setup or an East/West setup (since I havent heard or seen any news about what its going to be I will leave it at that).

In terms of facilities the Jacks play in the Redwood Bowl (7,000) which has a turf field that is made of the same material the University of Washington and Nebraska's and definitely seems to be in a better market then Central Washington is for football.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

Kilometers?
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:Kilometers?
Mike Johnson
Level1
Level1

Post by Mike Johnson »

S F State Gaters wrote:I would imagine that moving up to FCS would be conceivable if not desirable where they would compliment the Big Sky, being reasonably proximate to PSU, Cal Davis, Sac State, Cal Poly and (less so) Eastern Washington. Humboldt State remains ever the enigma, the lone bastion of college football in the Far West at the D-II level
It's a good point. The "lone bastion" claim, however, is one that both Western Oregon and Central Washington would dispute.

Word is Azusa Pacific is finally going to transition to NCAA Division II.
Image Image