Yote53 wrote:
89Hen wrote:Top 5 in no order...

Harvard/Yale
Montana/Montana St
Grambling/Southern
Lehigh/Lafayette
NDSU/UND, SDSU/USD
NDSU/SDSU, UND/USD
Fixed it for you. As good as you guys think SDSU/NDSU it doesn't compare to the rivalries they have with their in-state brethren.
Obviously you know a lot more about the Dakotas than I, but if NDSU/UND and SDSU/USD were such great rivalries... why did they stop playing each other? Before you say it was because NDSU and SDSU moved to D-I, keep in mind that Delaware played Villanova and Temple every year when Delaware was a D2 and they were both DI and unfortunately Delaware continues to play D2 West Chester every year (ending soon).
SloStang
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Cal Poly

Re: Best rivalry

Post by SloStang »

OL FU wrote:I have said it before, the best rivalry is the one that your school participates in :nod:
Words of wisdom.
TheBisonator
I am a fan of: NDSU!!!!!

Post by TheBisonator »

89Hen wrote:
Yote53 wrote:
Fixed it for you. As good as you guys think SDSU/NDSU it doesn't compare to the rivalries they have with their in-state brethren.
Obviously you know a lot more about the Dakotas than I, but if NDSU/UND and SDSU/USD were such great rivalries... why did they stop playing each other? Before you say it was because NDSU and SDSU moved to D-I, keep in mind that Delaware played Villanova and Temple every year when Delaware was a D2 and they were both DI and unfortunately Delaware continues to play D2 West Chester every year (ending soon).
Please don't open this box again. I'm sick and tired of the Dakota-on-Dakota smackfests.
"The Bible says a lot of things... And not very clearly." -Spanky Ham
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

It sounds like a great rivalry is about to end. If Missouri joins the Big 10 Kansas State is talking about quitting the series. Its been the biggest game for both schools for years. It seems KUs nose is out of joint because Missouri has a chance to get into a more lucrative conference:
“If a school — I’m not even talking about Missouri — if a school in our conference doesn’t want to participate in our conference,” Perkins (KU AD) said, “it would be difficult to continue having an athletic relationship.”
Missouri's reply was so what. We can find somebody else.

If their experience is anything like NDSUs as soon as they do KU and its fans will get even more hopped up.

Rivalries can come and go. Sometimes they arent even played on a regular basis. I can think of several schools NDSU doesn't play regularly that are guaranteed sellouts because of the intensity between the programs. On the other hand you can play a school every year and it really never generates the interest or intensity of other games.
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

It would be a shame for the KU-MU series to end. Illinois and Missouri have started to develop a good rivalry, and that could take it's place
:thumb:
FargoBison
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by FargoBison »

89Hen wrote:
Yote53 wrote:
NDSU-UND haven't played because UND basically has had the dumbest AD's on the planet this past decade. They want the game on their terms or it won't happen. Then when NDSU won't agree to their terms they run to the media crying about how NDSU is killing the rivalry that the rest of the state wants to see.
g-webb1994
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Gardner-Webb

Post by g-webb1994 »

Citadel/VMI would be a good one if they could play every year. They even had that game in Charlotte a few years back.

G-W/Liberty has the potential to be a good rivalry.
Seawolf97
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: StonyBrook
A.K.A.: SBU

Post by Seawolf97 »

The growing rivalry in the Big South is Stony Brook vs. Liberty. Alot of mutual respect between both teams and alot of tough football. 2010 will be the 2nd year in a row both teams meet in the regular seasn finale , this time in
Virginia. Almost like the conference has planned another thriller to decide the conference title.
ODUsmitty
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: ODU
A.K.A.: ODUsmitty

Post by ODUsmitty »

g-webb1994 wrote:Citadel/VMI would be a good one if they could play every year. They even had that game in Charlotte a few years back.

G-W/Liberty has the potential to be a good rivalry.
Fondly remember during my college years the Oyster Bowl matchups at ODU's Foreman Field. Citadel/VMI was a popular one, and both sides brought tons of fans.
When Maxine Waters reaches the pearly gates, I hope St. Peter bitch-slaps her with a large, wet teabag
UNHWildCats
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: New Hampshire
A.K.A.: UNHWildCats

Post by UNHWildCats »

It's not FCS or Div I for that matter, nor is it Div II, but a good rivalry is...

Williams vs Amherst
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

Unfortunately Weber doesnt have any really great rivalries, but we do have a rival, Idaho State
bisonguy
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by bisonguy »

89Hen wrote:
Yote53 wrote:
NDSU/UND started playing each other in 1894, and there has been no lack of bad blood between the two since that date. UND's AD at the time when NDSU moved to DI was their former football coach, and had nothing but ill-will towards NDSU. He was adamantly opposed to UND moving to DI and cast the deciding vote against it for the NCC, as NDSU had been pushing for years for most of the NCC to move to DI (and now UNC, NDSU, SDSU, USD, and UND have/are). Oddly enough, he became the NCC commisioner once UNC, NDSU, and SDSU left the conference and was left without a job once USD and UND, with some leadership with vision, bolted for DI and the conference was disbanded. As UND's AD, he had a four year home/home football contract with NDSU sitting on his desk, with NDSU's AD wondering when he would sign it. He had three press conferences stating he would soon be making a decision on whether to continue the game over the course of about four months, and then in late July had another press conference releasing their football schedule with no NDSU game on it. This was how NDSU's AD found out that the contract would not be signed. UND's AD and football coach kept reciting an outdated strength of schedule argument for the DII playoffs as the reason they couldn't play NDSU, even though the rule had been changed the previous season. With UND's next AD, he wanted a game at the Metrodome (Minneapolis, MN) and the teams to share the gate revenue. NDSU's AD was slightly miffed at the previous AD's douchbaggery, and did not want to discuss that option any further. The current UND had been blabbing that the schools should be playing each other as soon as he took the job, without having even contacted NDSU's AD. And now they're looking at getting the game going every other year (NDSU's preference) or every year (UND's preference, as they're desperate for opponents).
Thumper 76
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: South Dakota State

Post by Thumper 76 »

89Hen wrote:
Yote53 wrote:
Part of it from our end had to do with USD coming out and publicly and proudly stating they would not be going DI with SDSU the same day SDSU publicly said it was going DI. And the early years all that was heard from Vermintown was how big of a mistake and joke it was for us to go DI. Dang, what happend there?
Please don't tell Obama what comes after a Trillion.
SUUTbird
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Southern Utah
A.K.A.: SUU T-Birds

Post by SUUTbird »

Wildcat Ryan wrote:Unfortunately Weber doesnt have any really great rivalries, but we do have a rival, Idaho State
The sad thing is both our schools have the potential of having a great in-state rivalry that could even generate more media coverage even if it would be just for one weekend. Our AD's need to get their heads out of their @#$$#$ and realize they are missing out on what could be a great game. North vs. South, would be one hell of a game :thumb:
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

SUUTbird wrote:
Wildcat Ryan wrote:Unfortunately Weber doesnt have any really great rivalries, but we do have a rival, Idaho State
The sad thing is both our schools have the potential of having a great in-state rivalry that could even generate more media coverage even if it would be just for one weekend. Our AD's need to get their heads out of their @#$$#$ and realize they are missing out on what could be a great game. North vs. South, would be one hell of a game :thumb:

There is nothing more I would love better than for Weber State and Southern Utah to start playing each other again every year and get a great rivalry going, Im tired of these 2 FBS games a year crap (although I heard next year is the last time). The Weber/SUU games i have attended have been some of the funnest games I've seen, the SUU faithfull come in decent numbers to Stewart Stadium, and the one game I attended in Cedar back in 2005 was a great game to (mostly cause Weber won :thumb: ).

The Weber/SUU "rivalry" wouldnt ever be as big as the Holy War, but it would be a fun little rivalry between 2 good up and coming programs.

Who knows, maybe next year in Cedar ;)
tribefan40
I am a fan of: William and Mary

Post by tribefan40 »

89Hen wrote:Top 5 in no order...

Harvard/Yale
Montana/Montana St
Grambling/Southern
Lehigh/Lafayette
NDSU/SDSU
Gotta put W&M/Richmond on the list - one of the longest running and pretty much a toss-up every year. :twocents:
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

tribefan40 wrote: Gotta put W&M/Richmond on the list - one of the longest running and pretty much a toss-up every year. :twocents:
Too quiet of a rivalry - heck most CAA fans wouldn't recognize that game as a huge rivalry.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
green&gold75
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: WILLIAM & MARY

Post by green&gold75 »

bluehenbillk wrote:
tribefan40 wrote: Gotta put W&M/Richmond on the list - one of the longest running and pretty much a toss-up every year. :twocents:
Too quiet of a rivalry - heck most CAA fans wouldn't recognize that game as a huge rivalry.
Too quiet? Says you! We're talking about a serious badass rivalry. A remark like your's at a Tribe/Spider tailgate could earn you a faceful of quiche, perhaps accompanied by a nice Riesling. And no, you can't have any of the creme brulee.
AppStateAlumQC
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Appalachian State

Post by AppStateAlumQC »

Some of the rivalries that I enjoy:

Appalachian State - Furman
Appalachian State - Georgia Southern
William & Mary - Richmond
Montana - Montana State
Tennessee - Georgia
Clemson - South Carolina
Florida State - Miami
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

green&gold75 wrote:
bluehenbillk wrote:
Too quiet? Says you! We're talking about a serious badass rivalry. A remark like your's at a Tribe/Spider tailgate could earn you a faceful of quiche, perhaps accompanied by a nice Riesling. And no, you can't have any of the creme brulee.
:lol:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

bisonguy wrote:
89Hen wrote: Obviously you know a lot more about the Dakotas than I, but if NDSU/UND and SDSU/USD were such great rivalries... why did they stop playing each other? Before you say it was because NDSU and SDSU moved to D-I, keep in mind that Delaware played Villanova and Temple every year when Delaware was a D2 and they were both DI and unfortunately Delaware continues to play D2 West Chester every year (ending soon).
NDSU/UND started playing each other in 1894, and there has been no lack of bad blood between the two since that date. UND's AD at the time when NDSU moved to DI was their former football coach, and had nothing but ill-will towards NDSU. He was adamantly opposed to UND moving to DI and cast the deciding vote against it for the NCC, as NDSU had been pushing for years for most of the NCC to move to DI (and now UNC, NDSU, SDSU, USD, and UND have/are). Oddly enough, he became the NCC commisioner once UNC, NDSU, and SDSU left the conference and was left without a job once USD and UND, with some leadership with vision, bolted for DI and the conference was disbanded. As UND's AD, he had a four year home/home football contract with NDSU sitting on his desk, with NDSU's AD wondering when he would sign it. He had three press conferences stating he would soon be making a decision on whether to continue the game over the course of about four months, and then in late July had another press conference releasing their football schedule with no NDSU game on it. This was how NDSU's AD found out that the contract would not be signed. UND's AD and football coach kept reciting an outdated strength of schedule argument for the DII playoffs as the reason they couldn't play NDSU, even though the rule had been changed the previous season. With UND's next AD, he wanted a game at the Metrodome (Minneapolis, MN) and the teams to share the gate revenue. NDSU's AD was slightly miffed at the previous AD's douchbaggery, and did not want to discuss that option any further. The current UND had been blabbing that the schools should be playing each other as soon as he took the job, without having even contacted NDSU's AD. And now they're looking at getting the game going every other year (NDSU's preference) or every year (UND's preference, as they're desperate for opponents).
Not to drag up old stuff, but I just noticed that UND is playing SDSU this year, while USD is playing NDSU... so that begs the questions again... if UND/NDSU and USD/SDSU were great rivalries, why are they playing the other states this year? :|
Thumper 76
Level2
Level2

Post by Thumper 76 »

Ohhhhhhhhhhh boy :fuel: :shit: :popcorn: :puke: :chair:
WacoKid
I am a fan of: App State

Post by WacoKid »

I can't believe nobody has voted for ASU vs WCU

:rofl:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Thumper 76 wrote:Ohhhhhhhhhhh boy :fuel: :shit: :popcorn: :puke: :chair:
:D 8-)

I'm just glad you had room for a trip to Newark this year. I really am looking forward to the game. :thumb:
Thumper 76
Level2
Level2

Post by Thumper 76 »

89Hen wrote:
Thumper 76 wrote:Ohhhhhhhhhhh boy :fuel: :shit: :popcorn: :puke: :chair:
:D 8-)

I'm just glad you had room for a trip to Newark this year. I really am looking forward to the game. :thumb:
I'm real glad that we're playin you guys, just wish that the other games weren't cancelled so I could see one in person. Ahhhhhh well maybe at a later date they will be resumed. I can dream right?