Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Ursus A. Horribilis
Chili w/Beans
Chili w/Beans
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Re: Big Sky Predictions 11-7

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:I was tempted to pick Sac when they played NAU last week. I knew it would be close, but I didn't think that NAU would let Sac pull it out. I'm glad they proved me wrong. Sac State is the official dark horse team of the sky this year. It was EWU last year.
I was getting some flack for picking Sac as the dark horse back in May/June and they are making me look better. :thumb:
Charter Member of SSAMPOA
D1B wrote:I'm just getting old and want one in the can
93henfan wrote:Luckily one of the dudes came in to juggle my nuts.

JALMOND
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:I was tempted to pick Sac when they played NAU last week. I knew it would be close, but I didn't think that NAU would let Sac pull it out. I'm glad they proved me wrong. Sac State is the official dark horse team of the sky this year. It was EWU last year.
I was getting some flack for picking Sac as the dark horse back in May/June and they are making me look better. :thumb:
I thought Sac would make some noise this year, too. Then I saw that they lost that Hilliard kid for the year so I kind of "devalued" them. He comes back next year, I'd say watch out.

JALMOND
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

JALMOND wrote:We approach the home stretch as we move on in to November. Now is when the game really begin to count as all are important. Where we have one team on top, there are still a bunch jockeying behind them, trying to stay in line for an at large bid. Only four games on tap this weekend, involving seven Big Sky teams. Right now I am at 42-8 and hoping for a perfect week. All are my opinion only. Here are the predictions.

UM @ ISU---This game appears to be a big mismatch. Then, as one looks further, it becomes clear that the Bengals played the Grizzlies pretty tough last year in Missoula. Now with the game in their barn, can the Bengals get a win? It is possible, it would be shocking, it ALMOST HAPPENED...UM 45, ISU 12.

MSU @ PSU---Refreshing in that the Bobcats finally found an offense last week, to go with the potent defense that had carried them most of the year. But then again, anything looks good when your opponent is Idaho State. The Vikings looked terrible against Eastern Washington, not getting any offensive support, nor any defensive pressure. Will this weekend be different? Probably not...MSU 27, PSU 7.

NAU @ Mississippi---The Jacks were breezing along, confident that, even with the loss to Montana earlier, they would get a playoff bid and continue on. However, they ran into Sacramento State, and their promising season was pushed to the brink of disaster, very similar to their season last year. To say the Jacks need a win is an understatement. However, this weekend they venture in to SEC country with a trip to Mississippi. Can the right the ship, and what kind of moral victory would they need?...Mississippi 35, NAU 17.

Sac State @ UNC---The Hornets knew they had a big win in them, and that came into being as they took care of Northern Arizona last weekend. The Bears knew they had any type of win in them, and they got that against former DII nemesis South Dakota. Both teams feel good about themselves and both would really like the wins to continue. However, there is only one winner in each contest. This one...UNC 25, Sac State 24.
3-1 this week, puts me at 45-9 for the year. Way off on the Griz/ISU game (notice I changed the words), but close on the scores for both PSU/MSU and NAU/Mississippi.

Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:Spottin' me another game huh Jalmond? :mrgreen:

UM 42 @ 6 ISU

MSU 38 @ 17 PSU

NAU 14 @ 48 Miss

Sac 31 @ 24 UNC
Correct Pick
Incorrect Pick
Actual Score
(-123) = Difference between predicted and actual point spread
APSE = Average Point Spread Error

MSU 38 @ 17 PSU
MSU 28 @ 10 PSU (-3)

Sac 31 @ 24 UNC
Sac 38 @ 35 UNC (-4)

UM 42 @ 6 ISU
UM 12 @ 10 ISU (-34) :shocking:

NAU 14 @ 48 Miss
NAU 14 @ 38 Miss (-10)

This week: 4-0
Last week: 3-2
Overall: 44-10
APSE this week: 12.75 pts
APSE last week: 13.2 pts
APSE overall: 11.5 pts

Perfect week moves me one game away from Jalmond. Idaho State almost pulling off the upset of the year was no doubt the biggest surprise. Montana thought they were playing their kid brother and let their guard down, and screwed over my point-spread error. Although I'd say Sac State's D giving up 35 points after holding a 31-0 shutout was also pretty shocking. They'll need to get it together for a tough MSU team that's starting to gel. EWU and Weber both got some much needed rest in preparation for 2 tough games to end the season. There might be only a couple weeks left, but they'll be big in determining if and who the Big Sky sends as it's second team into the playoffs.

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

From what I heard, that wasn't so much the Sacred City D giving up 35 second half points, it was the Sacred City Defensive Coordinator doing so. Prevent defense with 12 min left in the THIRD QUARTER? Who ever heard of that cr@p? And we had problems with Lou Patrone?!?

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

JALMOND wrote:
SDHornet wrote:
No sarcasm. I enjoy the weekly game breakdowns and pregame analysis. I tend to just focus on Sac State so it gives me an idea of what other teams in the BSC are up to. Plus it gives me a little insight as to how teams are playing with respect to the last few weeks so I can try to anticipate how each matchup will play out.
Well, thank you then. I try to be more serious with the power rankings every week, than I do with the predictions. I do them for people who may not know that much about the conference teams. Not that I have all the knowledge about everyone. I do know that when I make a major mistake (I have done in the past I will admit), people will correct me. For as well as the Hornets are playing right now, makes me wonder how they would be doing if Hilliard was playing.
I'm not sure that Hilliard would have been that big of a difference as it has been the defense that has had all the glaring the issues.