Football Championship Subdivision discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

JMU to play Virginia Tech in 2010

Post by BDKJMU »

Breaking news this morning in the DNR, which you now have to have a subscription to read:
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details ... HID=3&sub=
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Re: JMU to play Virginia Tech in 2010

Post by BDKJMU »

Been to lane Stadium twice before myself- the last game of the 99' season when VT with Vick thumped BC to go 11-0 and face FSU in the National Title game and also when they thumped BC in 01' when VT was ranked in the top 10-15 at the time. But that was before they had finished their major expansion and seated about 54k. The following year I believe they were at their current about 66k capacity.

Didn't see either JMU game at Lane in the last decade 99' when VT beat a 1st round playoff JMU team in the opener that season 47-0 in Mike Vick's debut and 03' in a 43-0 VT win.

So I guess I'll go watch that likely a** whippin. Oh well, it should be a great tailgate atmosphere with a large contingent from JMU. Its about 2 hrs from JMU and as far as the alumni bases, 3+ hrs from Richmond, and around 4-5 from most all of the Tidewater area and DC area.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

Va Tech doesn't take the FCS match up lightly like Maryland usually does. How far away from Harrisonburg is Blacksburg? An hour or so? Nice little local flavor.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
mcveyrl
Level2
Level2
A.K.A.: mcveyrl

Post by mcveyrl »

andy7171 wrote:Va Tech doesn't take the FCS match up lightly like Maryland usually does. How far away from Harrisonburg is Blacksburg? An hour or so? Nice little local flavor.

It's about two hours (including getting off the interstate). I drive right by the exit every weekend I head to JMU.

I'll be at this one. My sister (who came with my family to JMU last weekend) is a VT alum, so we're each bringing our contingent. It will be fun, but we will get beat. I just want us to score some points.
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

Nice get for JMU. How much is the payout?
Go Black Bears!
the paw
I am a fan of: montana

Post by the paw »

can u say "money game" ! it is no longer a "body bag game" i hope your AD gets some money because you people back east will "sell" your team too cheap, just for a fbs game(going rate is 1.2 million for lower level fbs teams)!
mcveyrl
Level2
Level2
A.K.A.: mcveyrl

Post by mcveyrl »

the paw wrote:can u say "money game" ! it is no longer a "body bag game" i hope your AD gets some money because you people back east will "sell" your team too cheap, just for a fbs game(going rate is 1.2 million for lower level fbs teams)!
I don't even know what this means...

I'm sure the payouts good, but not great. Va. Tech probably didn't bump West. Mich. to 2016 to blow a ton of cash on JMU.
JMU DJ
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Leeeeeeroy Jeeeenkins

Post by JMU DJ »

mcveyrl wrote:It will be fun, but we will get beat. I just want us to score some points.

Exactly, I don't really care so much about the monetary aspect (though I'm sure the AD and school do), I just want to see the Dukes put up a good performance and not get blown out. Hopefully this time around, JMU fans won't be smack talking about marching bands... one of the lamest comments I heard last time we played tech was from a JMU student who said "Oh yea, well at least our band can play running 16th notes." :wtf:

Tech is going to be returning a pretty good team, losing some defensive players... but they always have a good D, so that shouldn't matter much.
SpiderFan5
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Richmond Spiders

Post by SpiderFan5 »

It really doesnt matter who they lost
The chances of JMU winning are 1 in a billion
ImageImage
slycat
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas State

Post by slycat »

Ass whoopin. Hope you get paid.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

the paw wrote:can u say "money game" ! it is no longer a "body bag game" i hope your AD gets some money because you people back east will "sell" your team too cheap, just for a fbs game(going rate is 1.2 million for lower level fbs teams)!
You're full of sh**- no I-AA has ever gotten 1.2 million from a I-A. Most non BCS and lower level BCS probably pay out in the $150-200k ballpark, with mid to upper level BCS maybe double that. Only teams you'll see pay out more than half a million are those with 80+K stadiums

JMU is getting 400k from VT, more than double what they got in 03'

03' 190k from VT
04' ? from WVU
07' 300k from UNC
08' 150k from Duke
09' 325k from MD
Last edited by BDKJMU on Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
green&gold75
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: WILLIAM & MARY

Post by green&gold75 »

JMU DJ wrote:
mcveyrl wrote:It will be fun, but we will get beat. I just want us to score some points.

Exactly, I don't really care so much about the monetary aspect (though I'm sure the AD and school do), I just want to see the Dukes put up a good performance and not get blown out. Hopefully this time around, JMU fans won't be smack talking about marching bands... one of the lamest comments I heard last time we played tech was from a JMU student who said "Oh yea, well at least our band can play running 16th notes." :wtf:

Tech is going to be returning a pretty good team, losing some defensive players... but they always have a good D, so that shouldn't matter much.
Went to the VT/Tribe game in 2007--think it was 42-3 them, pretty much as expected. Square miles of tailgaiters. Word of caution--go early early. Interstate 81 is a parking lot for a couple of hours before game time.
JMU DJ
Level4
Level4

Post by JMU DJ »

green&gold75 wrote: Went to the VT/Tribe game in 2007--think it was 42-3 them, pretty much as expected. Square miles of tailgaiters. Word of caution--go early early. Interstate 81 is a parking lot for a couple of hours before game time.
Oh, I've been to a tech game before and I currently attend a school in the SEC so I know about the traffic/tailgate. I have no expectation of victory in this game, I'm just hoping it's not an embarrassment/our fans don't embarrass JMU.... I think the base has come a long way since 2003 and I hope our fans are talking about something else besides the MRD.
green&gold75
Supporter
Supporter

Post by green&gold75 »

JMU DJ wrote:
green&gold75 wrote: Went to the VT/Tribe game in 2007--think it was 42-3 them, pretty much as expected. Square miles of tailgaiters. Word of caution--go early early. Interstate 81 is a parking lot for a couple of hours before game time.
Oh, I've been to a tech game before and I currently attend a school in the SEC so I know about the traffic/tailgate. I have no expectation of victory in this game, I'm just hoping it's not an embarrassment/our fans don't embarrass JMU.... I think the base has come a long way since 2003 and I hope our fans are talking about something else besides the MRD.
Don't sweat it--nothing wrong with the MRD. Can't help but note--you're at an SEC school but you carry JMU pride. Is it true undergraduate loyalty--or are you just at :ohno: Vandy? :ohno:
JMU DJ
Level4
Level4

Post by JMU DJ »

green&gold75 wrote:
JMU DJ wrote:
Don't sweat it--nothing wrong with the MRD. Can't help but note--you're at an SEC school but you carry JMU pride. Is it true undergraduate loyalty--or are you just at :ohno: Vandy? :ohno:

Yeah, the MRD are good and I'm not knocking them. I just don't go to football games to smack talk the other teams marching band, especially when they are crushing us.

Not at Vandy, True undergrad loyalty. This "other" school I'm seeing on the side comes second. Though the school I'm at has beat tech in recent history, so that made me happy.
green&gold75
Supporter
Supporter

Post by green&gold75 »

JMU DJ wrote:
green&gold75 wrote:

Yeah, the MRD are good and I'm not knocking them. I just don't go to football games to smack talk the other teams marching band, especially when they are crushing us.

Not at Vandy, True undergrad loyalty. This "other" school I'm seeing on the side comes second. Though the school I'm at has beat tech in recent history, so that made me happy.
Whoa! If you're talking about this year you ARE in serious tailgate country---and a far cry from FCS. Good of you to keep the faith.
JMU DJ
Level4
Level4

Post by JMU DJ »

green&gold75 wrote: Whoa! If you're talking about this year you ARE in serious tailgate country---and a far cry from FCS. Good of you to keep the faith.

I would suspect you've never been at a JMU tailgate in the student area, I remember the W&M tailgate from the 2004 playoffs so I understand where you are coming from with the weak FCS tailgates :lol: :mrgreen:

... Sadly, my mistress did not play VT this year.
green&gold75
Supporter
Supporter

Post by green&gold75 »

JMU DJ wrote:
One last thing. Do they have Interstates in SEC country?
JMU DJ
Level4
Level4

Post by JMU DJ »

green&gold75 wrote:
One last thing. Do they have Interstates in SEC country?
Yes :ugeek:
bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Bob dammit!!

Post by bobbythekidd »

NM
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JMU DJ wrote:
green&gold75 wrote: Whoa! If you're talking about this year you ARE in serious tailgate country---and a far cry from FCS. Good of you to keep the faith.

I would suspect you've never been at a JMU tailgate in the student area, I remember the W&M tailgate from the 2004 playoffs so I understand where you are coming from with the weak FCS tailgates :lol: :mrgreen:

So you're at LSU then. Pretty cool to go to games at Death Valley, huh?
JMU DJ
Level4
Level4

Post by JMU DJ »

BDKJMU wrote:
JMU DJ wrote:

:lol:

I keep forgetting how historically bad VT is against the SEC -( 26 -50 )

In the past 5 years they're 0-4 with losses to LSU, Auburn, Bama, and UGA.

... I'd be at the one that got screwed on a late celebration call against LSU this year. :ohno:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JMU DJ wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:
:lol:

I keep forgetting how historically bad VT is against the SEC -( 26 -50 )

In the past 5 years they're 0-4 with losses to LSU, Auburn, Bama, and UGA.

Oh, so you're watching game Between The Hedges.

Eh, probably less so than other ACC programs. If you go back the last decade+ VT is 2-4 against the SEC, playing the top half of the SEC:
-the 2 wins being crushing Bama 38-7 in the 98' Music City Bowl) and 02' against ranked LSU in Blacksburg 26-8.

-The Auburn loss was in the 04' Sugar 16-13 when Auburn finished 12-0 and got screwed out of a shot at the National Title, finishing #2 in the final BCS standing
-The UGA loss in the 05' Peach the Chokies gave up a 21-13 4th qtr lead and UGA won 31-24.
-VT got CRUSHED by LSU in 07' but LSU went on to win the National Title.
-The 34-24 loss to Bama this season was and Bama might win the National Title, and will at least likely
finish in the top 5.