Question about FCS Schedules

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Question about FCS Schedules

Post by AZGrizFan »

BlueHen86 wrote:FBS games are money games, I don't think anyone schedules an FBS game to prepare for the playoffs.
Yet, it is ROUTINELY thrown out as a dick measuring tool by schools that schedule FBS teams and ultimately don't make the playoffs. :roll: :roll:

So, now I've got TWO fans to admit FBS games are purely for the money. :thumb: :thumb:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: The McManus Brothers
A.K.A.: Duffman

Post by BlueHen86 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
BlueHen86 wrote:FBS games are money games, I don't think anyone schedules an FBS game to prepare for the playoffs.
Yet, it is ROUTINELY thrown out as a dick measuring tool by schools that schedule FBS teams and ultimately don't make the playoffs. :roll: :roll:

So, now I've got TWO fans to admit FBS games are purely for the money. :thumb: :thumb:
So, you have found at least two knowledgeable football fans. :lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

BlueHen86 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

So, you have found at least two knowledgeable football fans. :lol:
Now, don't get all fuckin' carried away there, 86. :coffee: :coffee: :kisswink:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CatMom
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas St & Tight Ends
A.K.A.: CatMILF

Post by CatMom »

AZGrizFan wrote:
CatMom wrote:Ya know, if we are going to end our season getting the shit kicked out of us by Montana, why not make it symmetrical and start the season by getting the shit kicked out of us by TCU?

Bookend shit-kickings.
That's a very Buddhist mentality. :lol: :lol:

I'm a fan of Comparitive Religions :thumb:
ur76spider
I am a fan of: Richmond

Post by ur76spider »

As for the University of Richmond, the major reason for them scheduling a FBS school is for the money. I do not see scheduling a FBS school as a means of getting tougher for the playoffs. Next year UR opens its on campus stadium which will have a capacity of 8700. I wish the capacity was in the 10,000 to 15,000 range. Anyway, I think that the Spiders will continue to schedule one FBS school for the money it will generate for the UR athletic budget. As for Montana I wish them well in the NC. I really enjoyed watching the Griz last week and from what I saw of UM's stadium on tv, it really looks good :thumb: :thumb: I just hope UR's stadium (while not seating as many people) will be one of the finest in FCS football! It surely will be an improvement over the embarrasment they have had to play in from 1929-2009! :) :)
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana, WCU & FCS
A.K.A.: Rehab-aholic

Post by Appaholic »

How many teams have won a NC since, oh...let's say 2001, that haven't scheduled a "money/dick-measuring" game against FBS opponent?
http://www.takeahikewnc.com

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

Consume. Watch TV. Be Silent. Work. Die.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Appaholic wrote:How many teams have won a NC since, oh...let's say 2001, that haven't scheduled a "money/dick-measuring" game against FBS opponent?
Are you counting Navy? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana, WCU & FCS
A.K.A.: Rehab-aholic

Post by Appaholic »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Appaholic wrote:How many teams have won a NC since, oh...let's say 2001, that haven't scheduled a "money/dick-measuring" game against FBS opponent?
Does Navy ever count? in anything?
http://www.takeahikewnc.com

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

Consume. Watch TV. Be Silent. Work. Die.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Appaholic wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Does Navy ever count? in anything?
Exactly....so, Delaware DIDN'T schedule a dick measuring game. :D
JConnolly
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Elon Phoenix

Post by JConnolly »

FCS Schools schedule games against FBS teams for the money, but also for the exposure to more people. There are plenty of ignorant fools that don't know that there is football outside of the FBS. More people that know about your program leads to more sales in tickets and merchandise, more hits on your athletics website, more applicants to your school. Think of how many people outside of FCS fan groups and North Carolina knew App State had a football team before the Michigan game that was all over ESPN. Bottom line, it is for money, but I feel that some schools might also use it to gage how close they are to the next level.
EU, You Know
T-Dog
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: App St
A.K.A.: tdog231

Post by T-Dog »

Hey, I'll let you know that App St scheduled two dick-measuring games in 2005 and that broke the App St title curse and created a monster. Hell the power was so great, Texas State allowed UNI to finally make the title game.

Do not underestimate the power of the dick-measuring monster. Plus, you still have one more game to win Griz so don't count your chickens early....or measure your dick before it's fully erect.
twitter.com/tdogappst

App State's Final SoCon Record: 204-87-5

All Time W-L-T - 567-321-28
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Appalachian
A.K.A.: Thread Killer

Post by BigApp »

AZGrizFan wrote:Where are all the FCS teams who supposedly "toughened themselves up" and were getting "better prepared for the playoffs" by scheduling an FBS team this year?

SITTIN' HOME, THAT'S WHERE!!!!!
well, there is something to be said about playing patty-cake @ home all year: It got you home-field advantage
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

ImageImage

Follow Barack Obama's Teleprompter Blog http://baracksteleprompter.blogspot.com/
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BigApp »

AZGrizFan wrote:
DJH wrote:mmmmm, smack talk before the championship game? Pretty dangerous IMO.

The karma train may just run AZ over...

:coffee: :nod:
It's not smack if it's FACT.

All the BS about dick measuring by playing FBS games....WHERE DID THAT GET YA'LL?????

HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS, THAT'S WHERE. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
didn't work out too well for ya last year, now did it
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

ImageImage

Follow Barack Obama's Teleprompter Blog http://baracksteleprompter.blogspot.com/
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

BigApp wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:Where are all the FCS teams who supposedly "toughened themselves up" and were getting "better prepared for the playoffs" by scheduling an FBS team this year?

well, there is something to be said about playing patty-cake @ home all year: It got you home-field advantage
McNeese, nuff said.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

BigApp wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
It's not smack if it's FACT.

All the BS about dick measuring by playing FBS games....WHERE DID THAT GET YA'LL?????

HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS, THAT'S WHERE. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
didn't work out too well for ya last year, now did it
It only works out well for one team in the end. We were there and the only other team we saw was Richmond so it worked out better for us than ANYBODY else not named Richmond.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

BigApp wrote:

Hey poo-pusher, I believed we proved last year that we don't necessarily need home field advantage to make it to the championship game. :coffee:
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BigApp »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote: It only works out well for one team in the end. We were there and the only other team we saw was Richmond so it worked out better for us than ANYBODY else not named Richmond.
and the year before...

ImageImage

CatMom
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas St & Tight Ends
A.K.A.: CatMILF

Post by CatMom »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:
BigApp wrote:
McNeese, nuff said.
Kinda agree here. If it hadn't been McNeese, it would have been TXST and I don't think we were ready to make any kind of dent in the playoffs, not this year. Not without a run game and the D we had. (though inmproved over 2008 it wasn't playoff worthy)
frinq
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Portland State University
A.K.A.: frinq

Post by frinq »

Montana can make more money sitting at home playing D-III schools; why play the big schools that just beat you? No one else in the Big Sky can do that, or they would. Like it or not, Montana plays as much for money as anyone else. Hell, I envy them. They're like U of Oregon, the so-called "flagship" university in their state. Difference is, U of O has to play meaningful teams to make it to bowls. Montana doesn't - and therefore doesn't. Money. We're schedluing two Pac-10 schools next year, and are going to get the sh...beat out of us. All for money.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

BigApp wrote:
Ursus A. Horribilis wrote: It only works out well for one team in the end. We were there and the only other team we saw was Richmond so it worked out better for us than ANYBODY else not named Richmond.
and the year before...
Big App, you are obviously missing the point of the thread because you're making the point that AZ has made already. It don't matter if you want to think your team is gonna be more play off ready, and toughened up for said play offs because you had an FBS game. It don't make a difference at all.

If we win tomorrow we will have as many titles as App, have been one of the final two a boat load more than App, and are 2-0 against you while having one of the best qb's I've ever seen play at this level at the helm. If you are one of the guys that uses that illogical train of thought then what's your answer to those we have defeated so far in the playoffs when all three of them have the advantage of being "toughened up"?

If you'd rather go back through the years as to who did what in each year...I think you're gonna run out @ 2005.
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BigApp »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:
Big App, you are obviously missing the point of the thread because you're making the point that AZ has made already.

If you'd rather go back through the years as to who did what in each year...I think you're gonna run out @ 2005.
<< ding ding ding ding>> Ursus Horribilis? COME ON DOWN!! You're the next contestant on Guess How Much AZ & BA Think Alike!!

Now, what's the next item up for bids?

btw, if I WANTED to, I could dispute you and practically go all the way back to the 1980's...I would be willing to bet that no more than a handful (other than Montana and the Undefeateds) of I-AA champions DIDN'T play a I-A team during the season.

The only difference it really makes is in the eyes of the most important piece of a football program: the Fans & Alumni.

If you refuse to play them however, you give up your opportunity to beat them. Tell me, were you more interested in your game against The College of the Mines (or whoever it was) or App/Michigan in September 2007?

ImageImage

Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Mostly myself.
A.K.A.: LabiaInTheSunlight

Post by Cap'n Cat »

There is nothing wrong with skedding an FBS, Z. Players like it, alumni like it, there's a a bit of money to be made.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Does that negate Notre Dame from dick measuring?
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

Cap'n Cat wrote:There is nothing wrong with skedding an FBS, Z. Players like it, alumni like it, there's a a bit of money to be made.
I don't think Z really has a problem with other teams scheduling FBS teams, it's the fact that some fans act like just playing them suddenly makes them into world-beaters. :coffee:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

But was a game they played in September the reason they won the national championship in December? :roll: :roll: