UD's 'field turf'

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
ChickenMan
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Delaware

UD's 'field turf'

Post by ChickenMan »

UD is replacing their natural grass field with 'Field Turf'.. here are a couple of shots of the ongoing installation..

"the closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program"... Ronald Reagan
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Re: UD's 'field turf'

Post by danefan »

Good move. Could we see a Lax regional soon?
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

As much as I hate MplsBison...good move... :thumb:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

thats a nice FCS stadium.. Eastern needs to hurry up & buy.
Last edited by BlackFalkin on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

BlackFalkin wrote:thats a nice FCS stadium.. do they fill it?
Just about every week. 20,000+ a game. #4 last year in attendance.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

wait a tic

new field turf at old stadium? when is the new stadium going to be built? I thought it was at another site.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

andy7171 wrote:wait a tic

new field turf at old stadium? when is the new stadium going to be built? I thought it was at another site.
99.99% sure that the new stadium plan was scrapped for an upgrade to the Tub.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

danefan wrote:
andy7171 wrote:wait a tic

99.99% sure that the new stadium plan was scrapped for an upgrade to the Tub.
Man they love that piss wall.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

andy7171 wrote:
danefan wrote: 99.99% sure that the new stadium plan was scrapped for an upgrade to the Tub.
Man they love that piss wall.
I love it too.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

me too.
:coffee:
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

The field turf is a great move. I don't know what kind of condition the Tub is in, but if they can renovate it fairly cheap, I'd rather see that then a new stadium. I like the old stadiums being kept and updated, as long as it is cost-effective...like a Fenway, Soldier Field, Wrigley, etc...
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

clenz wrote:The field turf is a great move. I don't know what kind of condition the Tub is in, but if they can renovate it fairly cheap, I'd rather see that then a new stadium. I like the old stadiums being kept and updated, as long as it is cost-effective...like a Fenway, Soldier Field, Wrigley, etc...
The problem they will run into at the Tub is that they cannot do too much without having to bring everything into compliance with the ADA. The TUB as it currently sits is an ADA nightmare. Just take a look at the main stands - very very very steap and high and literally no handrails.

I believe they are building separate buildings behind the stands that will end up higher than the stands and have new luxory boxes and press facilities.

I wouldn't be suprised to see an end-zone building like ODU built. That building was constructed at ODU to avoid touching the clamshells. If it had touched the clam shells they would have had seriously expensive ADA renovation problems.
GOKATS
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by GOKATS »

[quote="ChickenMan"]UD is replacing their natural grass field with 'Field Turf'.. here are a couple of shots of the ongoing installation..

Congrats!! That's definitely turf but I don't think it's 'Field Turf'' (brand name). Montana St. installed 'Field Turf' in '08 and the install was definitely different, they did it five yards at a time from end zone to end zone and the five yard lines were part of the process. Sidelines, hash marks, logos, etc. were added later. Just wondering what brand of turf that is.

BTW, installing Field Turf was one of the best moves ever to happen with our stadium because of the climate we live in. I was a firm believer in natural grass and had my doubts about the turf until I saw the result.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

danefan wrote:
clenz wrote:The field turf is a great move. I don't know what kind of condition the Tub is in, but if they can renovate it fairly cheap, I'd rather see that then a new stadium. I like the old stadiums being kept and updated, as long as it is cost-effective...like a Fenway, Soldier Field, Wrigley, etc...
The problem they will run into at the Tub is that they cannot do too much without having to bring everything into compliance with the ADA. The TUB as it currently sits is an ADA nightmare. Just take a look at the main stands - very very very steap and high and literally no handrails.

I believe they are building separate buildings behind the stands that will end up higher than the stands and have new luxory boxes and press facilities.

I wouldn't be suprised to see an end-zone building like ODU built. That building was constructed at ODU to avoid touching the clamshells. If it had touched the clam shells they would have had seriously expensive ADA renovation problems.
That's true, I guess I hadn't thought of things like that. It would be shame for that place to have to get torn down before needed though. I've never been there but it appears to be a nice stadium
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

clenz wrote:
danefan wrote:

That's true, I guess I hadn't thought of things like that. It would be shame for that place to have to get torn down before needed though. I've never been there but it appears to be a nice stadium
Its a nice stadium...older, with some issues as discussed (ADA compliance being the biggest)...but a great one...

Richmond will have a nicer stadium next year...but quite a bit smaller than the Tub...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

danefan wrote: The problem they will run into at the Tub is that they cannot do too much without having to bring everything into compliance with the ADA. The TUB as it currently sits is an ADA nightmare. Just take a look at the main stands - very very very steap and high and literally no handrails.

All they have to do is put ramps in the endzone bleachers. Very cost efficient. Dont touch the sideline stands bc thats part of the "tub" feel. ADA nightmare? I wouldnt take it THAT far. Can you explain what you mean about ODU's clamshells? I dont see what one has to do with the other.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

BlackFalkin wrote:
danefan wrote: The problem they will run into at the Tub is that they cannot do too much without having to bring everything into compliance with the ADA. The TUB as it currently sits is an ADA nightmare. Just take a look at the main stands - very very very steap and high and literally no handrails.

All they have to do is put ramps in the endzone bleachers. Very cost efficient. Dont touch the sideline stands bc thats part of the "tub" feel. ADA nightmare? I wouldnt take it THAT far. Can you explain what you mean about ODU's clamshells? I dont see what one has to do with the other.
The sideline stands are ADA nightmares. Take a look at the pictures. Besides what you can see in the pictures, the risers and treads would never meet ADA guidelines let alone the lack of handrails on anywhere but the exterior frame. If Delaware does anything besides cosmetic to the sideline stands they'll have to put handrails all the way up and bring the risers and treads into compliance (aka rip it down and start from scratch).

The ODU clamshells are the sideline stands. You'll notice in the below picture that the new end zone building does not touch the clamshells. This was done intentionally to avoid having to bring the clamshells into compliance. The only work done on the clamshells was cosmetic (paint - replace broken seating, etc..)

This approach to renovation is what UD will have to follow unless it wants to tear down the Tub completely.

And the "Tub" refers to "Tubby Raymond" not the "tub" type of feel.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

danefan wrote:Image
What a POS!
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

danefan wrote:
BlackFalkin wrote:

The sideline stands are ADA nightmares. Take a look at the pictures. Besides what you can see in the pictures, the risers and treads would never meet ADA guidelines let alone the lack of handrails on anywhere but the exterior frame. If Delaware does anything besides cosmetic to the sideline stands they'll have to put handrails all the way up and bring the risers and treads into compliance (aka rip it down and start from scratch).

The ODU clamshells are the sideline stands. You'll notice in the below picture that the new end zone building does not touch the clamshells. This was done intentionally to avoid having to bring the clamshells into compliance. The only work done on the clamshells was cosmetic (paint - replace broken seating, etc..)

This approach to renovation is what UD will have to follow unless it wants to tear down the Tub completely.

When i said "tub feel" I meant 'main structure of the stadium', 'atmosphere', 'good ol tub', as in taking away what everyone loves about the stadium.. So its mandatory that ANY work (non-cosmetic) to the stands and you HAVE to make the entire thing ADA compliant?
UAalum72
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: University at Albany

Post by UAalum72 »

GOKATS wrote:
ChickenMan wrote:UD is replacing their natural grass field with 'Field Turf'.. here are a couple of shots of the ongoing installation..

Congrats!! That's definitely turf but I don't think it's 'Field Turf'' (brand name). Montana St. installed 'Field Turf' in '08 and the install was definitely different, they did it five yards at a time from end zone to end zone and the five yard lines were part of the process. Sidelines, hash marks, logos, etc. were added later. Just wondering what brand of turf that is.
No, it's really FieldTurf

UD release
JayJ79
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: myself

Post by JayJ79 »

I mentioned something to my GF about "updating the clam",
and she slapped me.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

BlackFalkin wrote:
danefan wrote:

When i said "tub feel" I meant 'main structure of the stadium', 'atmosphere', 'good ol tub', as in taking away what everyone loves about the stadium.. So its mandatory that ANY work (non-cosmetic) to the stands and you HAVE to make the entire thing ADA compliant?
The technical rule as applies to stadium is you must bring the stadium into ADA compliance if there are "alterations of the seating schematic" as opposed to mere "repairs."

There are a whole bunch of technicalities as to what that means, but I understand it to boil down to the fact that if you change the seating (including both adding more or taking some away by widening seat locations, etc...) then you have done more than a mere repair and must bring the stadium into compliance.

The catch is the structures at the Tub (and ODU's clamshells) are considered separate structures. That means you can make alterations to some of them and not have to replace them all. For example, UD could take down the endzone bleachers and replace it with a building or new seating. As long as that does not touch the sideline seating they won't have to bring the sideline seating into compliance.
GOKATS
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by GOKATS »

UAalum72 wrote:
GOKATS wrote:
No, it's really FieldTurf

UD release
Pretty wierd, it's totally different than the install here. Like I said, as they added each five yards the line marker was in place. A couple pics I snapped during our install...........

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Responses to a couple of questions posed here:

1. Yes, it's field turf.
2. The new stadium was scrapped.
3. The Tub will be renovated and expanded to ~30K. This was announced publicly about a month ago.
4. New Athletic Performance Center to be built in north end zone (scoreboard end) along with additional seating.
5. Stand alone press boxes/luxury suites to be built behind west stands.

And yes, we like the piss wall.

Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

93henfan wrote:Responses to a couple of questions posed here:

1. Yes, it's field turf.
2. The new stadium was scrapped.
3. The Tub will be renovated and expanded to ~30K. This was announced publicly about a month ago.
4. New Athletic Performance Center to be built in north end zone (scoreboard end) along with additional seating.
5. Stand alone press boxes/luxury suites to be built behind west stands.
:thumb:

I didn't think I made that stuff up.

And just for frame of reference, I believe that App State's new press box is considered a standalone press box. So that would be a type of design to expect.