Football Championship Subdivision discussions
jd of de
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Delaware & Illinois

CAA Footbal Future

Post by jd of de »

Question #1
The CAA has lost the Hofstra and Northeastern football programs, and adds Old Dominion in 2011 and Georgia State in 2012. Is this what the CAA looks like in 2011 or 2012?

North South
Maine Towson
New Hampshire Richmond
UMass William & Mary
Rhode Island JMU
Villanova Old Dominion (joins 2011)
Delaware Georgia State (joins 2012)

Question #2
Another A-10 school, UNC Charlotte is adding football in 2013. Do they join fellow A-10 schools UMass, Rhode Island and Richmond in the CAA, go someplace else or will the CAA lose the A-10 schools to a A-10 football league since 8 of them now will have football programs.
NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS 1946 · 1963 · 1971 · 1972 · 1979 · 2003
RUNNERS-UP · 1974 · 1978 · 1982 · 2007 · 2010
5 time Division 1-A National Champions & 5 - Final Fours
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Re: CAA Football Future

Post by danefan »

I'm not sure Georgia St. or Charlotte will be FCS very long.

The only thing you have to think about is what ODU has done and whether that will persuade VCU or George Mason to start up a program. Both of which would have automatic entry into the CAA football conference if they apply before 2017.
Monarch Nation
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: MN Admin

Re: CAA Footbal Future

Post by Monarch Nation »

I'm not sure why everybody thinks that Ga State is going to go to FBS soon. They have miserable attendance at their basketball, and in football will have to compete with Ga Tech. A few of their fans bluster about going to FBS and making a huge splash on the college football scene, but frankly I don't see it.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

Monarch Nation wrote:I'm not sure why everybody thinks that Ga State is going to go to FBS soon. They have miserable attendance at their basketball, and in football will have to compete with Ga Tech. A few of their fans bluster about going to FBS and making a huge splash on the college football scene, but frankly I don't see it.
I think the school wants to be FBS....they'd fit in the Sun Belt as just another mediocre FCS team paying for 22 more scholarships and faking attendance figures.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

And, we don't yet know what the FCS to FBS requirements are going to look like after the moratorium expires. May cause some teams to delay/rethink plans
:thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Monarch Nation wrote:I'm not sure why everybody thinks that Ga State is going to go to FBS soon. They have miserable attendance at their basketball, and in football will have to compete with Ga Tech. A few of their fans bluster about going to FBS and making a huge splash on the college football scene, but frankly I don't see it.
Not that familiar with Atlanta, but isn't Georgia St a commuter school? How many CAA schools with football are commuter schools? My understanding is that commuter schools have a tougher time building excitement and a fanbase. I would think that George Mason would look at Georgia St as a potential role model.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
49RFootballNow
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Charlotte

Post by 49RFootballNow »

jd of de wrote:Question #1
The CAA has lost the Hofstra and Northeastern football programs, and adds Old Dominion in 2011 and Georgia State in 2012. Is this what the CAA looks like in 2011 or 2012?

North South
Maine Towson
New Hampshire Richmond
UMass William & Mary
Rhode Island JMU
Villanova Old Dominion (joins 2011)
Delaware Georgia State (joins 2012)

Question #2
Another A-10 school, UNC Charlotte is adding football in 2013. Do they join fellow A-10 schools UMass, Rhode Island and Richmond in the CAA, go someplace else or will the CAA lose the A-10 schools to a A-10 football league since 8 of them now will have football programs.
Our AD has publically stated she will be meeting with Comissioner Yeager in the next few months. Who knows what will come of it.

Fordham (A-10) is looking to go scholarship on football so if they do they'll want a new home too, most likely.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

URI may leave the CAA - and go to the NEC in the future
SUUTbird
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Southern Utah
A.K.A.: SUU T-Birds

Post by SUUTbird »

Personally they just need to split up and create two conferences. If the A-10 sponsored football it would create another decent conference on the East Coast and when the Great West finally gets an autobid they could expand the playoffs to 24 teams :thumb:
ATL
I am a fan of: Liberty,Georgia State
A.K.A.: FFG, PantherEQ

Post by ATL »

SUUTbird wrote:Personally they just need to split up and create two conferences. If the A-10 sponsored football it would create another decent conference on the East Coast and when the Great West finally gets an autobid they could expand the playoffs to 24 teams :thumb:
While I agree on the split i don't see the playoffs expanding. hearing rumblings about the big 10 wanting two more teams i think the trickle down will have more of an effect on teams moving into FBS. it will be interesting the next few years.
jd of de
Level1
Level1

Post by jd of de »

dbackjon wrote:URI may leave the CAA - and go to the NEC in the future
Why downgrade from CAA and A-10 when they are so competitive? Makes no sense, especially with the opening of a on-campus football stadium.
jd of de
Level1
Level1

Post by jd of de »

Why downgrade from CAA and A-10 when they are so competitive? Makes no sense, especially with the opening of a on-campus football stadium.
jd of de
Level1
Level1

Post by jd of de »

danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

jd of de wrote:
$$$$$$$$. The AD has said that he is committed to the CAA for 2010 and will evaluate it beyond that.

Its all about $$$ now.

And not to mention the URI's chances of making the playoffs increases ten-fold if they were to join the NEC.
49RFootballNow
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Charlotte

Post by 49RFootballNow »

Posturing for scheduling concessions. They don't want to have to put their team on a plane more than once a year, but when all is said and done, they'll stick with UMass. I can't see them leaving without Maine and New Hampshire either.
SUUTbird wrote:Personally they just need to split up and create two conferences. If the A-10 sponsored football it would create another decent conference on the East Coast and when the Great West finally gets an autobid they could expand the playoffs to 24 teams :thumb:

No real disadvantage to having more members at the FCS level, except you don't play everyone in the league often enough to form cross division rivalries. More members allows you to split the conference operations costs at lower per school levels. If the A-10 had effective enough leadership to start a football conference from scratch then they wouldn't have let the CAA take their original football conference anyway.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

jd of de wrote:
URI = Rhode Island
henfan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Delaware

Post by henfan »

I'm not certain that any meaning was implied in the comments from URI's AD, other than the school might not know which direction it is headed with FB beyond 2010. The fact that they couldn't predict where they would be beyond this coming season isn't a positive indication though.

The Charlotte situation is interesting. Personally (which means nothing, of course), I'd rather the league pass on them if their intent is remaining in the A-10 for Olympic sports and FBS FB in 5-10 years. The CAA might have other ideas that are counter to enhancing the CAA brand. We'll see.
JMUpurplehazed
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: James Madison
A.K.A.: Purplehazed

Post by JMUpurplehazed »

I know nothing about what the CAA does...I only can hope...but I do know I miss the hatred factor when we play the northern teams---URI, UMass etcetera...

I HATE Richmond, I HATE ODU, I hate 'Nova, I kinda hate W&M, I kinda hate Deleware, I feel sorry for Towson...

I would have no problem beating Richmond 100 to zero and throwing bombs in Q4. URI, I'd back-off... I've hated Richmond since the joined the A10 in basketball :thumbdown:
James Madison University --- Better than you since 1908...
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

This is how I would rank current CAA programs in terms of their commitment to the league over the long run:

1. Delaware, Towson, W&M (totally committed to the league as it currently stands)
2. Maine, UNH, UMass (committed to the league, but also mindful of expenses and future divisional alignments)
3. JMU, ODU (committed to the league as all-sport members, but will consider future FBS options if they become available)
4. Villanova, Richmond (committed to the league for now, but will consider other options if they become available)
5. URI, Georgia State (committed to the league short-term, but due to costs (URI) and FBS/geographical considerations (GSU).......unlikely to remain long term members)
Go Black Bears!
Tribe4SF
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: William and Mary

Post by Tribe4SF »

It seems they're having enough difficulty funding an entry to FCS. They apparently have not secured the funds to complete a practice field, which was to be a first order of business. They are moving into their first season of competition, and investment from the Atlanta business community, and their alumni base does not approach what ODU had at the same point.
Go Tribe!!!
ATL

Post by ATL »

I think the best thing for the CAA to do is split. I just don't see how it would be cost effective in the long run for the northern teams. I don't think anyone knows the time table to which Georgia State will be staying in the league. and i'd like to see some teams like fordham and other non schollies make the move to scholly football. you've also got schools like Kennesaw st. and Mercer in GA and west florida looking to add football. of those 3 KSU is the only one with serious intentions so far. it leaves room for the CAA to expand south and stay that way. I think the A-10 should just accept football but who knows. overall i think the college football conference landscape will be very different 5 years from now.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

I don't think I am going out on a limb here by saying the CAA has zero interest in Kennesaw State.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
ATL

Post by ATL »

Oh i know. but the big south will. and i'll be money that the CAA would love to take Liberty if they needed an extra team. and if Kennesaw went to the Big south they could lose a team and still get the auto bid. especilly if campbell moves to scholly football
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I just wanna get rid of Hofstra already. Too bad conferences never kick out members. Go Hofstra, just leave already. All they do is openly bitch about the CAA in every sport...give me Charlotte as an all-sport member.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

∞∞∞ wrote:I just wanna get rid of Hofstra already. Too bad conferences never kick out members. Go Hofstra, just leave already. All they do is openly bitch about the CAA in every sport...give me Charlotte as an all-sport member.
I think if they were told their lacrosse teams could stay in the CAA, they would.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."