Great West Conference Future

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
GOKATS
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Re: Great West Conference Future

Post by GOKATS »

Green Laser wrote: The better soultion would be to eliminate all autobids and take the 20 top ranked teams into the playoffs.
I prefer to keep the autobids, polls are already too biased by region (notice how I didn't say ECB :lol: ).
Green Cookie Monster
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Sacramento State

Post by Green Cookie Monster »

We fully fund rowing and have one of the best facilities in the nation. We also travel out East and elsewhere for many events. This sport counters football. http://www.sacstateaquaticcenter.com/

Football won't be cut, damn here we go again, as the President just imposed a student fee to offset any loss in state funding.

We have approval from the regents to add either Sprinturf or Fieldturf, this $1.2M project continues to exhibit the growth in the athletics department at Sac State. This after a new $12M fieldhouse and $60M Rec facility to close the stadium into a near horseshoe. http://www.calstate.edu/bot/agendas/Jan10/CPBG.pdf

How much funding does UM receive from the students? That will be key. All schools will drop in the W column when moving to FBS, if the Griz have a drop in attendance because of the mounting L's, what student tax is in place to support the department? One good thing about Sac State is that we have alot of student money supporting (referendums) our department. So we should be insulated to a degree if the decision is ever made to move up.
Redwyn
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Stony Brook

Post by Redwyn »

Green Cookie Monster wrote:We fully fund rowing and have one of the best facilities in the nation. We also travel out East and elsewhere for many events. This sport counters football. http://www.sacstateaquaticcenter.com/

Football won't be cut, damn here we go again, as the President just imposed a student fee to offset any loss in state funding.

We have approval from the regents to add either Sprinturf or Fieldturf, this $1.2M project continues to exhibit the growth in the athletics department at Sac State. This after a new $12M fieldhouse and $60M Rec facility to close the stadium into a near horseshoe. http://www.calstate.edu/bot/agendas/Jan10/CPBG.pdf

How much funding does UM receive from the students? That will be key. All schools will drop in the W column when moving to FBS, if the Griz have a drop in attendance because of the mounting L's, what student tax is in place to support the department? One good thing about Sac State is that we have alot of student money supporting (referendums) our department. So we should be insulated to a degree if the decision is ever made to move up.
I used to race Sac State. They do indeed have a wonderful team and an incredible facility. The school is clearly athletically committed and looks like an up and coming force in the BSC :)
kemajic
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: Kemajic

Post by kemajic »

Redwyn wrote: I used to race Sac State. They do indeed have a wonderful team and an incredible facility. The school is clearly athletically committed and looks like an up and coming force in the BSC :)
I hope you're right. You seem to have indicators that aren't easy to see; it's ten years now since a winning season; when will that change?
"People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe." - Andy Rooney
kemajic
Level2
Level2

Post by kemajic »

Redwyn wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:they can play 3 matches 2 being home. You can have a PE teacher do it for a 3K bonus on his salary.

Some schools seriously have sports where they don't have many events. Fresno has Equestrian we actually travel some cuz they have the cash to. Rowing for some schools where they don't have many events. Fresno St. women's lacrosse doesn't travel much.
Rowing is an extremely expensive sport. The logistics are mindboggling. Trust me, this is an area I know well.

That being said I think you're right, there's a category in the NCAA regarding emerging sports (like equestrian and women's rugby) that don't cost much. However, I don't believe they're counted as additional varsity sports, just Title IX parity. If you ask me, it might depend on what the conference they move into wants. Looking at the WAC site and Montana's existing offerings, my money's on gymnastics and golf (both women). Gotta be as attractive as possible to the WAC mold. Swimming and Diving's also a possibility if U Montana has a pool already.
Montana has women's golf.
"People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe." - Andy Rooney
Green Laser
Level2
Level2
A.K.A.: Green Laser

Post by Green Laser »

kemajic wrote:
Redwyn wrote: I used to race Sac State. They do indeed have a wonderful team and an incredible facility. The school is clearly athletically committed and looks like an up and coming force in the BSC :)
I hope you're right. You seem to have indicators that aren't easy to see; it's ten years now since a winning season; when will that change?
2011!
Redwyn
Level1
Level1

Post by Redwyn »

kemajic wrote:
Redwyn wrote:
Rowing is an extremely expensive sport. The logistics are mindboggling. Trust me, this is an area I know well.

That being said I think you're right, there's a category in the NCAA regarding emerging sports (like equestrian and women's rugby) that don't cost much. However, I don't believe they're counted as additional varsity sports, just Title IX parity. If you ask me, it might depend on what the conference they move into wants. Looking at the WAC site and Montana's existing offerings, my money's on gymnastics and golf (both women). Gotta be as attractive as possible to the WAC mold. Swimming and Diving's also a possibility if U Montana has a pool already.
Montana has women's golf.
Apologies, I saw golf after I had looked at the Montana sport listing. Looks like gymnastics and swimming/diving it is!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

kemajic wrote:
Once again, a misogynistic Griz fan ignores reality. Sac State has won 37 Big Sky Championships since 1996, and also have 4 MPSF titles, one PCSC crown, two WAC titles, 5 WIRA titles, one America Sky Conference title, and one independent title.

Sac State has produced a TON of success on the various fields of athletic competition since joining the Big Sky. So shut it.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
kemajic
Level2
Level2

Post by kemajic »

SuperHornet wrote:
kemajic wrote: I hope you're right. You seem to have indicators that aren't easy to see; it's ten years now since a winning season; when will that change?
Once again, a misogynistic Griz fan ignores reality. Sac State has won 37 Big Sky Championships since 1996, and also have 4 MPSF titles, one PCSC crown, two WAC titles, 5 WIRA titles, one America Sky Conference title, and one independent title.

Sac State has produced a TON of success on the various fields of athletic competition since joining the Big Sky. So shut it.
Possibly you can share what portion of that TON of success has been achieved in FCS FB, the topic of this forum.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Once again a myopic Griz fan hides behind the forum to ignore reality. Nothing exists in a vacuum, not even football in a "football" forum. The ultimate reality is that Griz Fan is either so myopic that nothing outside of football exists to them, or they're using their football success to hide their inadequacy in every other athletic endeavour (i.e. they reclassify all other sports as "irrelevant"). Sac State competes with the best of the conference in most sports and is even up-and-coming in the Griz' be-all-and-end-all: football. What they'd really like is to dump us before we can get to the point where we can take them there, too. That way they can hide behind "Oh, Sac never did anything." In that regard, Griz Fan = B(C)$.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
kemajic
Level2
Level2

Post by kemajic »

SuperHornet wrote:Once again a myopic Griz fan hides behind the forum to ignore reality. Nothing exists in a vacuum, not even football in a "football" forum. The ultimate reality is that Griz Fan is either so myopic that nothing outside of football exists to them, or they're using their football success to hide their inadequacy in every other athletic endeavour (i.e. they reclassify all other sports as "irrelevant"). Sac State competes with the best of the conference in most sports and is even up-and-coming in the Griz' be-all-and-end-all: football. What they'd really like is to dump us before we can get to the point where we can take them there, too. That way they can hide behind "Oh, Sac never did anything." In that regard, Griz Fan = B(C)$.
At 15-0, that must certainly be at the top of Griz concerns. OK, so FB is a sore subject; the other money sport in the BSC is men's Bball. Is there a TON of success there?
SUUTbird
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Southern Utah
A.K.A.: SUU T-Birds

Post by SUUTbird »

It seems like superhornet is trying to hide from the fact that Sac State is horrible in Football, dont know but id call that hypocricy :roll:.

Anywho getting this forum back on track what do you yall think are the chances that if Cal State Fullerton gets their team back they would join the Great West? Since ive hear alot about this bring back titan football campaign :thumb:
Redwyn
Level1
Level1

Post by Redwyn »

SUUTbird wrote:It seems like superhornet is trying to hide from the fact that Sac State is horrible in Football, dont know but id call that hypocricy :roll:.

Anywho getting this forum back on track what do you yall think are the chances that if Cal State Fullerton gets their team back they would join the Great West? Since ive hear alot about this bring back titan football campaign :thumb:
There doesn't seem like there's anywhere else for them to go really. Big Sky is set with membership unless a program folds god-forbid, and it'll be hard enough on the West Coast to schedule as it is. I can't see them going anywhere else.

That being said, it looks like we're years from this getting even close to happening.
GoAgs72
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: UC Davis

Post by GoAgs72 »

The only thing I know for sure is that Cal Poly and UC Davis are linked for the long term, unless one goes FBS. They are similar schools, competitive and close to each other. There really should be a re-alignment of other western schools based upon travel expense but it would be a complicated fix.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

SuperHornet wrote:Once again a myopic Griz fan hides behind the forum to ignore reality. Nothing exists in a vacuum, not even football in a "football" forum. The ultimate reality is that Griz Fan is either so myopic that nothing outside of football exists to them, or they're using their football success to hide their inadequacy in every other athletic endeavour (i.e. they reclassify all other sports as "irrelevant"). Sac State competes with the best of the conference in most sports and is even up-and-coming in the Griz' be-all-and-end-all: football. What they'd really like is to dump us before we can get to the point where we can take them there, too. That way they can hide behind "Oh, Sac never did anything." In that regard, Griz Fan = B(C)$.
Sounds like clenz's "Suck it MVC, UNI owns you" comment...well, except in any sport that matters.

2006 - 4-7
2007 - 3-8
2008 - 6-6
2009 - 5-6

Yep, you guys are really tearin' it up in football. Leaps and bounds! In four years you've improved exactly ONE game. At that rate, you'll be a playoff team in exactly 12 years. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: 2006 - 4-7
2007 - 3-8
2008 - 6-6
2009 - 5-6
2006 was the last year of the horrific Moosh era. :thumbdown:
2007 was Sperbeck’s 1st year so he basically had to start rebuilding the program.
2008 was the year that proved Sperbeck is the right guy for the job. However there were only 4 FCS wins that season.
2009 5 FCS wins (without Hilliard) and Sperbeck & Co landed a great class of recruits.
2010…hopefully the trend continues. But I will say that Sperbeck has definitely brought excitement back to the program.

If you don’t think things are changing, just ask GoAgs72. I can think of two examples he can verify. 8-) BTW welcome GoAgs. Good to see some aggie posters here.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Green Laser wrote: 2011!
What happened to 2010?!
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SUUTbird wrote:It seems like superhornet is trying to hide from the fact that Sac State is horrible in Football, dont know but id call that hypocricy :roll:.

I wouldn’t call showing steady improvement under Sperbeck as “horrible”.

Fullerton/LBSU/other SoCal Big West school will NEVER revive/start a football program….NEVER. There is no money and the school presidents don’t have the balls to force higher student fees to support one.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

I'd still like to see the Cr@pbirds explain how they lost a conference championship to a 4-6 team....

SUUTbird
Level2
Level2

Post by SUUTbird »

SuperHornet wrote:I'd still like to see the Cr@pbirds explain how they lost a conference championship to a 4-6 team....
Quite simply we didnt play well at South Dakota and had a few turnovers @ Cal Poly that hurt us, but at least i can say we were in the running for a conference championship unlike a certain crappy team that never has or ever will even come close to that that :thumb:

Oh and we beat the conference champs by the way pretty soundly too :twocents:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SUUTbird wrote:
SuperHornet wrote:I'd still like to see the Cr@pbirds explain how they lost a conference championship to a 4-6 team....
Quite simply we didnt play well at South Dakota and had a few turnovers @ Cal Poly that hurt us, but at least i can say we were in the running for a conference championship unlike a certain crappy team that never has or ever will even come close to that that :thumb:

Oh and we beat the conference champs by the way pretty soundly too :twocents:
I’m sure SUU would fare way better than Sac State if it were in the Big Sky. :roll:

And we beat “the farm extension” and lost to CP as well. I don’t think either SUU or Sac State is head and shoulders better than the other. The Hornets had 5 FCS wins last season, while SUU only managed 4. I’d say the teams have a comparable level of success at looking back at last season. Even if SUU pulled out the “Great” West Conference title, they would have been sitting at home watching the playoffs along side Sac State. But congratulations on “being in the running” for that highly coveted GWC title. :thumb: :lol:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Oh, BTW, the year the Cr@pbirds failed to stop a 4-6 team from winning a conference title, Sac State WON the conference title. The HORNETS were that 4-6 team.

SUUTbird
Level2
Level2

Post by SUUTbird »

Hey now we cant help were in a conference that cant get an autobid :thumb: and we never played Sac State in a conference as far as i can remember so ill just sit back and enjoy the fact that we would have beaten yall this year :thumb:

And just so you know i think the GWC title is very coveted :lol:
Green Laser
Level2
Level2
A.K.A.: Green Laser

Post by Green Laser »

SUUTbird wrote:Hey now we cant help were in a conference that cant get an autobid :thumb: and we never played Sac State in a conference as far as i can remember so ill just sit back and enjoy the fact that we would have beaten yall this year :thumb:

And just so you know i think the GWC title is very coveted :lol:

I think that SUU was in the old Western Football Conference which became the GWC after Sac State, Portland State and Northridge State left for the Big Sky.

How does it make you feel that the best that the GWC has to offer, your champions U. C. Dungpile can't even beat the 4th best team in the Big Sky? You must be very proud!

Getting back to the subject of this thread I don't think that the future is very bright for the GWC. I look for the two Dakota's to depart after their transition and for the remaining three teams left to be forced to play a independent schedule.
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: poontang
A.K.A.: Rainman

Post by Fresno St. Alum »

I think if GWC beaks up and UC Davis and Cal Poly can't get a Big Sky fb only invite. They'll ask to join the WAC.