Football Championship Subdivision discussions
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: The Support Frisco Effort

Post by AZGrizFan »

CatMom wrote:Well, it sure as hell doesn't revolve around Tennessee
Exactly. We all KNOW where it revolves around, and they already eliminated Missoula from the competition. :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

CatMom wrote:Well, it sure as hell doesn't revolve around Tennessee
Let's see....Tennessee is just over the center line of the FCS wordl...Texas is no where near it....

FAIL... FCS does revolve around Tennessee... :rofl:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
WWII
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by WWII »

I'll be at my first championship game if it's in Frisco next year.
CatMom
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas St & Tight Ends
A.K.A.: CatMILF

Post by CatMom »

The implication I read was there are no FCS championship caliber teams in TX. I responded in kind about TN. Yeah, TN Chat, TN Martin, Tennessee Tech, Tennessee State. It's a neutral site to none of these teams because they rarely, if ever, get into the playoffs. Frisco is the same. Diff being we do have SLC teams that at least qualify.

In the tri-state area we do have, what, 13 teams?
Last edited by CatMom on Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Bob dammit!!

Post by bobbythekidd »

Col Hogan wrote:Image

I'm saving that pic because I always want to reference it. I'm going to call it my own so don't be mad.

Now, it looks like the FCS goes right through Boone NC and Mecca (Statesboro) GA. Neither of them have the infrastructure to support the game.
CatMom
Level3
Level3

Post by CatMom »

bobbythekidd wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:Image

I'm saving that pic because I always want to reference it. I'm going to call it my own so don't be mad.

Now, it looks like the FCS goes right through Boone NC and Mecca (Statesboro) GA. Neither of them have the infrastructure to support the game.

Umm, not by that dividing line. It isn't using the river...you are (and it's a little dated too.)

You're going off one set of ideas of revolving and I'm going off another. You're referencing a part of the country when I'm using the state itself.
Last edited by CatMom on Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TexasTerror
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: SHSU

Post by TexasTerror »

Does it really matter where the game is, as long as the game is supported well?

Chatty is not supporting it well enough, unless they get an in flux of fans from schools that travel well. If Frisco, Texas has the support to actually put butts in the seats and fill the facility up - it is a better venue for the game by far...

I think Frisco can put butts in the seats. I think they can really make the game successful and quite frankly, it is MUCH easier to travel via air to Frisco than Chatty for teams from all over the FCS landscape.
UD1Hens
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Delaware

Post by UD1Hens »

TexasTerror wrote:Does it really matter where the game is, as long as the game is supported well?

Chatty is not supporting it well enough, unless they get an in flux of fans from schools that travel well. If Frisco, Texas has the support to actually put butts in the seats and fill the facility up - it is a better venue for the game by far...
I guess it depends on your definition of better venue. If butts filling the facility is of chief importance then Texas may be better because people love football and they'll come no matter what. If fans with a rooting interest in the facility is of chief importance then it may not be. I guess it is worth a shot...
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

TexasTerror wrote:Does it really matter where the game is, as long as the game is supported well?

I think Frisco can put butts in the seats. I think they can really make the game successful and quite frankly, it is MUCH easier to travel via air to Frisco than Chatty for teams from all over the FCS landscape.
"If" and "think" do not engender confidence in me...

Over 60% of the FCS world can drive to Chatty...reduces costs...makes the game a lot more accessible...

For other than SLC teams (and when was the last time one made the NC game)...it's fly and drive to Frisco...higher cost...less accessible...

I hope the NCAA takes that into consideration... :coffee:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
UD1Hens
Level1
Level1

Post by UD1Hens »

TexasTerror wrote:It is MUCH easier to travel via air to Frisco than Chatty for teams from all over the FCS landscape.
Point taken, but when was the last time a team's fan base (besides Montana who would have to fly anywhere and everywhere) had to fly because it was too far to drive? UMass in '98? Even then I think a majority of them chose to drive.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

UD1Hens wrote:
I guess it depends on your definition of better venue. If butts filling the facility is of chief importance then Texas may be better because people love football and they'll come no matter what. If fans with a rooting interest in the facility is of chief importance then it may not be. I guess it is worth a shot...
Neither of the bowls in DFW sold out. That's with a nearby SEC team, nearby Big XII team, and instate Conference USA team.

I'm not sure how many locals would have turned out for Nova-Montana. I don't think it's as high as everyone assumes.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UD1Hens wrote:
TexasTerror wrote:It is MUCH easier to travel via air to Frisco than Chatty for teams from all over the FCS landscape.
Point taken, but when was the last time a team's fan base (besides Montana who would have to fly anywhere and everywhere) had to fly because it was too far to drive? UMass in '98? Even then I think a majority of them chose to drive.
And my point earlier was that what the vast majority of fans (besides Montana's and App States) chose to do is to NOT GO TO THE GAME. So, given that, does it really matter where the game is held?
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
UD1Hens wrote:
Neither of the bowls in DFW sold out. That's with a nearby SEC team, nearby Big XII team, and instate Conference USA team.

I'm not sure how many locals would have turned out for Nova-Montana. I don't think it's as high as everyone assumes.
I have my doubts as well.
TexasTerror
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: SHSU

Post by TexasTerror »

I can understand why everyone has their doubts and I do believe the committee has their doubts as well, hence the Frisco effort to get people "committed" to tickets. If the response is relatively large, it will put those doubts to rest until put into principle with an actual game in Frisco....
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

AZGrizFan wrote:
UD1Hens wrote:
And my point earlier was that what the vast majority of fans (besides Montana's and App States) chose to do is to NOT GO TO THE GAME. So, given that, does it really matter where the game is held?
That's why I don't get why these guys keep saying "it's within driving distance", and all this shit. IT IS within driving distance and they still don't give a shit. Having people at the game is the most important thing and although it would be nice to have the fans of THAT team there it is more important to have the stadium fill up than it is to have a couple of thousand of the east coast team's fans there.

And I love Chattanooga.
Bearkats94
I am a fan of: Sam Houston
A.K.A.: Bearkats94

Post by Bearkats94 »

You East Coast people need to suck it up. How many years has it been in your back yard? Now it time to favor some of us western people it may not be as many of us, but we do count. So save up some money like some of us had to and be ready to travel to Frisco. It's about time we have a voice in our favor. :twocents:
CatMom
Level3
Level3

Post by CatMom »

I think the bowls hold a lot more people than the FCS venue. The Cotton Bowl was played in Cowboys Stadium this year. The actual Cotton Bowl holds 92,100. That's a poor comparison.

So this is ok

2009 NC game in Chatty
Villanova fans - 759 miles
UM fans - 2057 miles

same game in Frisco
Villanova fans - 1490 miles
UM fans - 1659 miles

and Villanova traveled worse than UM...that's the point. It's ok by east coast fans for the west coast fans to incur extra expense to see their team play but not them....This is, totally, what I get from the argument. I want to go to NC games and I can't. This gives me, and a lot of others, that chance, at least for a few years.

Change isn't always bad.

I still incur gas costs and wear on my car (it's 225 miles for me one way), food, hotel and game tickets. It only cuts out a flight so I still have to start saving yesterday
tampajag
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: whooties
A.K.A.: hamburger pimp

Post by tampajag »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
UD1Hens wrote:

Both of those games were 3K under capacity. I don't see how that's supposed to be a negative.
UD1Hens
Level1
Level1

Post by UD1Hens »

Bearkats94 wrote:You East Coast people need to suck it up. How many years has it been in your back yard? Now it time to favor some of us western people it may not be as many of us, but we do count. So save up some money like some of us had to and be ready to travel to Frisco. It's about time we have a voice in our favor. :twocents:
I guess I was speaking for college students...who probably couldn't save up the coin and travel by flight to the game.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

CatMom wrote:I think the bowls hold a lot more people than the FCS venue. The Cotton Bowl was played in Cowboys Stadium this year. The actual Cotton Bowl holds 92,100. That's a poor comparison.

So this is ok

2009 NC game in Chatty
UM fans - 2057 miles

same game in Frisco
UM fans - 1659 miles

and Villanova traveled worse than UM...that's the point. It's ok by east coast fans for the west coast fans to incur extra expense to see their team play but not them....This is, totally, what I get from the argument. I want to go to NC games and I can't. This gives me, and a lot of others, that chance, at least for a few years.

Change isn't always bad.

I still incur gas costs and wear on my car (it's 225 miles for me one way), food, hotel and game tickets. It only cuts out a flight so I still have to start saving yesterday
And I guarantee you none of the 8 Villanova fans that were in attendance drove. :rofl: :rofl:
CatMom
Level3
Level3

Post by CatMom »

AZGrizFan wrote:
CatMom wrote:I think the bowls hold a lot more people than the FCS venue. The Cotton Bowl was played in Cowboys Stadium this year. The actual Cotton Bowl holds 92,100. That's a poor comparison.

So this is ok

2009 NC game in Chatty
UM fans - 2057 miles

same game in Frisco
UM fans - 1659 miles

Change isn't always bad.

And I guarantee you none of the 8 Villanova fans that were in attendance drove. :rofl: :rofl:
And if it had been in Frisco I bet I could have increased that by 50% with just my family
(I would sit where I could pick my own seat as I had no stake in the game)
Keenan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Liberty University

Post by Keenan »

Would definitely support a move of the NC to Frisco! Change is inevitable and generally people don't like change. I do think Frisco would be easier to get to for ALL fans, just not those of us on the East Coast. Pizza Hut Park is an excellent venue from my personal experience. I attended MLS Cup there a few years ago. As a Liberty fan, I would rather fly to Dallas than drive to Chatty. Just my :twocents:
Bearkats94
I am a fan of: Sam Houston
A.K.A.: Bearkats94

Post by Bearkats94 »

Don't give the student thing. A few nights of not going to the bar would buy a plane ticket. It call saving money up one thing college students need to learn if they really want to go.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Keenan wrote: I do think Frisco would be easier to get to for ALL fans, just not those of us on the East Coast.
Frisco would be easier to get to for ALL fans... except 75% of FCS fans that live on the East Coast? Hmmm. Interesting.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

Skjellyfetti wrote:
Keenan wrote: I do think Frisco would be easier to get to for ALL fans, just not those of us on the East Coast.
Frisco would be easier to get to for ALL fans... except 75% of FCS fans that live on the East Coast? Hmmm. Interesting.
There are only two teams in the game in any given year so the rest of that 75% don't mean shit.