danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Re: Wallace Reports Coulson No Longer at Sports Network

Post by danefan »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
TexasTerror wrote:
Ralph makes it seem that Sports Network will make a hire for the position again, though says he hopes it does not come in July.
Why all the third person? Using "I" would be a lot easier. :coffee:
Uhh.....Ralph and TT are definitely two different people Eagle. :twocents:
Libertine
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Liberty

Post by Libertine »

jlcharles wrote:Moss was infinitely better, Dougherty dropped off a bit from Moss' level, but Coulson was terrible. I stopped reading the articles for the most part.
What he said.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Dukie95 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Best FCS writer they've ever had? Come on, Tony Moss was fantastic and never had the biases Coulson had. Coverage went downhill ever since Moss left.
I liked Matt Dougherty's work.
Dougherty was okay, but he was pretty raw when it came to FCS knowledge early on. He got better the longer he was in the job, but he had pretty much zero knowledge about the FCS world when he started. For the first few years, you could throw a stone in an FCS messageboard forum and be assured you could hit someone with more insight than he had. But he certainly got better.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: poontang
A.K.A.: Rainman

Post by Fresno St. Alum »

Well he was the other Fresno St. Alum, I got him that White Tiger interview with Jim Gregory
slycat
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas State

Post by slycat »

GrizFan5 wrote:Coulson single-handedly caused many FCS fans to stop coming to the site, and certainly to stop reading his articles. His coverage was spotty, biased and often filled with errors. Of course, the famous Tony Moss was much better, but even young Matt Dougherty was considerably better.
Agreed. I used to look forward to articles coming out there. Then I stopped after a few he wrote. I'd go just to browse picks.

Mr. C is knowledgeable but there have been better writers.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Dukie95 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Best FCS writer they've ever had? Come on, Tony Moss was fantastic and never had the biases Coulson had. Coverage went downhill ever since Moss left.
I liked Matt Dougherty's work.
So did I. Dougherty wasn't quite as good a writer as Moss (or as knowledgeable), but he was the only one to make the effort to pick winners for every single FCS game.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

I liked Dave Coulson's stuff. Also Matt's. There's room enough for both of them. :nod:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
txstatebobcat
I am a fan of: Texas State

Post by txstatebobcat »

GrizFan5 wrote:Coulson single-handedly caused many FCS fans to stop coming to the site, and certainly to stop reading his articles. His coverage was spotty, biased and often filled with errors. Of course, the famous Tony Moss was much better, but even young Matt Dougherty was considerably better.
:nod: I don't think I read a single article this past season.
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Post by YoUDeeMan »

SmallCollegeFBFan wrote:Coulson had told me a couple weeks ago that there was a chance he would lose his job. There were some personality conflicts with he and some of the people there not getting along.
PRICELESS!!!! :rofl:

:cya:

Coulson was a coward who sniped at me and others on AGS and then hid behind Ralph's coat like a little girl.

When C got the job at SN, I told him I would send a letter to them letting them know what a jackass they hired and how Mr. C. was a person who would cause people to be turned off by his personality and anger issues.

Ralph then banned me for making a personal attack. :rofl:

Excuse me while I pop myself a beer and dance around the ashes of their dreams. :nod: :kisswink:
Last edited by YoUDeeMan on Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

Cluck U wrote:
SmallCollegeFBFan wrote:Coulson had told me a couple weeks ago that there was a chance he would lose his job. There were some personality conflicts with he and some of the people there not getting along.
PRICELESS!!!! :rofl:

:cya:

Coward was a coward who sniped at me and others on AGS and then hid behind Ralph's coat like a little girl.

When C got the job at SN, I told him I would send a letter to them letting them know what a jackass they hired and how Mr. C. was a person who would cause people to be turned off by his personality and anger issues.

Ralph then banned me for making a personal attack. :rofl:

Excuse me while I pop myself a beer and dance around the ashes of their dreams. :nod: :kisswink:
:lol:

Ok, I'm gonna go ahead and throw Cluck's vote on the "Not a fan of Coulson" pile.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

TexasTerror wrote:Ralph Wallace of College Sporting News is reporting that David Coulson has left the Sports Network.

Coulson had been with Sports Network since the summer of 2007 covering the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS). Coulson was probably the best writer the SNW has had as far as FCS goes and will surely be missed.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
alphadouchebag

Post by alphadouchebag »

I always wondered where the appy state bias came from, now I know since he was a reporter their.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

My favorite Coulson memory was starting a thread a couple of years ago on AGS "Fire Souers", after another 6-5 late season collapse. I stated logical reasons why he should go. Coulson didn't post, just gave me neg rep "You're an idiot". Since then, 6-5, 5-6 with two more late season collapses.
:thumb:
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

dbackjon wrote:My favorite Coulson memory was starting a thread a couple of years ago on AGS "Fire Souers", after another 6-5 late season collapse. I stated logical reasons why he should go. Coulson didn't post, just gave me neg rep "You're an idiot". Since then, 6-5, 5-6 with two more late season collapses.
You gotta hand it to Coulson though, he got that one right.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:
dbackjon wrote:My favorite Coulson memory was starting a thread a couple of years ago on AGS "Fire Souers", after another 6-5 late season collapse. I stated logical reasons why he should go. Coulson didn't post, just gave me neg rep "You're

an idiot"
. Since then, 6-5, 5-6 with two more late season collapses.
You gotta hand it to Coulson though, he got that one right.
:jack: :whip: :willybs: :hater:
:thumb:
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

dbackjon wrote:
Ursus A. Horribilis wrote: You gotta hand it to Coulson though, he got that one right.
DB, Ursus was just talking about the spelling. We have too many idiots here (and formerly at AGS) who would have incorrectly typed 'Your an idiot' instead of 'You're an idiot'. :thumb:
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

So - Ralph's article indicates that Coulson did in fact make changes to the TSN poll process.

Coincidently the credibility of the TSN poll has plummetted in recent years because of the errors associated with its reporting and the absolutely ridiculous teams in the OVR.

Interesting. Someone kept telling me that it wasn't Coulson's fault that the poll was messed up.... :coffee:

Maybe TSN will get the ship righted and the poll we regain some credibility.

I will give Coulson credit on one thing: he was the writer in residence when TSN did away with the mid-major crap. I don't know whether it was his idea or not, but it was a good decision.
UAalum72
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: University at Albany

Post by UAalum72 »

danefan wrote:I will give Coulson credit on one thing: he was the writer in residence when TSN did away with the mid-major crap. I don't know whether it was his idea or not, but it was a good decision.
I doubt it. I remember Coulson writing about how the NEC had been "obnoxious" in its efforts to get the auto-bid. He never said in what way.

If he meant the posters on AGS had been obnoxious, that would be his opinion, but he's way too thin-skinned to last long on this board.
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Appalachian
A.K.A.: Thread Killer

Post by BigApp »

bandl wrote: If by "Best" you mean "loves to deep throat all things Appy State"
that's right, when it comes to writing about FCS football he's John Holmes, you're Seka
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

ImageImage

Follow Barack Obama's Teleprompter Blog http://baracksteleprompter.blogspot.com/
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Post by YoUDeeMan »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote: Ok, I'm gonna go ahead and throw Cluck's vote on the "Not a fan of Coulson" pile.
:nod:

On another note, Ursus, you are indeed a wise and complex man. :thumb:

Your avitar has globes of flesh expanding and releasing themselves to the world in an innocent, open invitation to cuddle...yet your signature has globes of flesh contracting violently and almost threatening to bust a man's unit in half if he tries and fails.

It is a testament to man's place on Earth that both of those seemingly contradictory vids instinctively result in the same internal call to action:

CHARGE! :bananahump:
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

UAalum72 wrote:
danefan wrote:I will give Coulson credit on one thing: he was the writer in residence when TSN did away with the mid-major crap. I don't know whether it was his idea or not, but it was a good decision.
I doubt it. I remember Coulson writing about how the NEC had been "obnoxious" in its efforts to get the auto-bid. He never said in what way.

If he meant the posters on AGS had been obnoxious, that would be his opinion, but he's way too thin-skinned to last long on this board.
That is definitely the truth.
DetroitFlyer
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: University of Dayton

Post by DetroitFlyer »

Yeah, I pretty much quit reading his stuff.... I think that I sent him an Email or two letting him know what I thought about some of his work.... I do not recall getting a response. Hopefully, TSN can find a knowledgeable, unbiased professional to take on this role. My fear is that to do that job right, the amount of work and research necessary does not justify the pay.... A true professional in this role would do EVERYTHING possible to promote FCS and not choose to single out and hammer individual teams or conferences like say the PFL or NEC.... Finding that person is going to one heck of a challenge IMHO.
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana, WCU & FCS
A.K.A.: Rehab-aholic

Post by Appaholic »

bandl wrote:"Best" writer my ass...
If by "Best" you mean "loves to deep throat all things Appy State"
:ohno:
Sounds like a JMU co-ed....
http://www.takeahikewnc.com

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

Consume. Watch TV. Be Silent. Work. Die.
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana, WCU & FCS
A.K.A.: Rehab-aholic

Post by Appaholic »

dbackjon wrote:
Ursus A. Horribilis wrote: You gotta hand it to Coulson though, he got that one right.
He neg repped me for my view on DWI laws....I neg-repped him back & said fvck off...problem solved...
http://www.takeahikewnc.com

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

Consume. Watch TV. Be Silent. Work. Die.
eagleskins
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: eagleskins

Post by eagleskins »

Coulson was a hack. And had the worst mullet I've ever seen. And paid for pussy.