how serious is your rivalry?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
bandl
Towson
Towson

Re: how serious is your rivalry?

Post by bandl »

andy7171 wrote:I seriously SERIOUSLY doubt the two teams I consider to be our main rivals reciprocate the sentiment.
1- JMU
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Thumper 76
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: South Dakota State

Post by Thumper 76 »

Yote53 wrote:For South Dakota Fans it goes like this:

SDSU = HATE STATE, **** THE BUNNIES. HATE, HATE, HATE
UND = A good, long time rivalry that has been getting more and more intense in recent years.
NDSU = Nobody in the Dakotas likes you guys. Can't wait to beat you in Fargo.
Im sorry your not gunna beat NDSU in Fargo, the only place you guys seem to play well is in the DakotaDump. 8-)
Please don't tell Obama what comes after a Trillion.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

mgbison wrote:the NDSU - UND rivalry can get pretty bad. Esp with the whole nickname issue and NDSU's student section basically chants sioux s%&k sh#% the whole game.

The SDSU rivalry is getting more intense. Bison fans feel SDSU has no business beating us in footbal and SDSU fans feel the same way towards men's basketball. The funny thing is we've lost three in a row in football to them and they have lost 8 in a row in mens hoops.

USD - who cares. If yote53 thinks they are going to win in fargo next year, :rofl: :rofl: . Bison by at least 21.

in 5 years, i could see the ndsu - uni games being unfriendly. the game this past year had a ridiculous amount of penalties called and the way some older folks talk, that's the way it was back in the old NCC.
mcveyrl
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: mcveyrl

Post by mcveyrl »

89Hen wrote:
andy7171 wrote:Back in the day, I hated the S out of Hofstra.
Who?

Too soon...
expandspanos
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: School of Hard Knocks

Post by expandspanos »

In State Rivals:

U.C. Davis - Serious (Golden Horseshoe)
Sac State - Causeway Classic is a secondary rivalry
Fresno State - used to be a big rivalry back in the day, will play them once again this year.

Out of State:
Montana - Our biggest game when they come to town (even though it's lopsided historically).
Every school in the Dakotas - LOL, but seriously, because we are so isolated and they're aren't many FCS teams we play more schools in the Dakotas than anyone this side of Billings (joking, but kinda) SDSU had huge fan support here in San Luis Obispo in 2009, practically at Grizz fan levels if not at (I know they were having an unusually good season and all).
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

expandspanos wrote:In State Rivals:

Fresno State - used to be a big rivalry back in the day, will play them once again this year.

Out of State:
Montana - Our biggest game when they come to town (even though it's lopsided historically).
Every school in the Dakotas - LOL, but seriously, because we are so isolated and they're aren't many FCS teams we play more schools in the Dakotas than anyone this side of Billings (joking, but kinda) SDSU had huge fan support here in San Luis Obispo in 2009, practically at Grizz fan levels if not at (I know they were having an unusually good season and all).
Some day, Cal Poly will actually beat NAU, and we can start a rivalry ;)
:thumb:
expandspanos
Level2
Level2

Post by expandspanos »

I'm sure you're aware Poly hasn't lost to SUU the last 9 years and we played 9 times. You were being facetious obviously.

I find that rather incredible because SUU isn't a bad team, just has bad luck against us for some reason.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

expandspanos wrote:I'm pretty sure you're joking. As I'm sure you're aware Poly hasn't lost to SUU the last 9 years and we played 9 times.

I find that rather incredible because SUU isn't a bad team, just has bad luck against us for some reason.
umm - NAU - Northern Arizona University. NAU is 8-0 all-time against CP.
expandspanos
Level2
Level2

Post by expandspanos »

and you are correct about that.. For some reason I thought I was responding to an SUU fan.. Northern Arizona is as a completely different deal and you're right about that being a little one-sided to be a rivalry.
SloStang
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Cal Poly

Post by SloStang »

dbackjon wrote:

Out of State:
Funny how about the time Cal Poly started actually getting rank is about the time that we never see NAU on the schedule any more. I know for a fact that Cal Poly would love to continue to play NAU. NAU is a great program and in terms of west coast FCS teams they are relatively close. I hope to see the NAU on the schedule again soon.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

I didn't know CP considered us rivals and that CP folks also call it the Causeway. This is news to me. :lol:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

SloStang wrote:
dbackjon wrote:
Funny how about the time Cal Poly started actually getting rank is about the time that we never see NAU on the schedule any more. I know for a fact that Cal Poly would love to continue to play NAU. NAU is a great program and in terms of west coast FCS teams they are relatively close. I hope to see the NAU on the schedule again soon.
I would like to see that as well.

NAU needs a home game still this year.
expandspanos
Level2
Level2

Post by expandspanos »

That's your and Davis' name- for some reason I can't get anything right today.. we haven't played Sac so much recently I forget if we even have a name for it, but back in the day traditionally C.P. and Sac State were minor rivals.. and it will be nice to play more in the future.
expandspanos
Level2
Level2

Post by expandspanos »

I would also like to see Northern Arizona here in SLO.. but returning the favor on artificial turf in a dome will spell disaster.. so many bad things have happened to us under such conditions, we don't like to talk about it.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

expandspanos wrote:I would also like to see Northern Arizona here in SLO.. but returning the favor on artificial turf in a dome will spell disaster.. so many bad things have happened to us under such conditions, we don't like to talk about it.
We have great field turf!!
expandspanos
Level2
Level2

Post by expandspanos »

Oh, I wasn't speaking to NAU in particular, just saying we've got a hex about artificial turf. Playing on it always seems to be a disaster for Poly- things have come a long way though in artificial turf over the years though.. It just takes a little getting used to.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

You guys won't want to come to Sac then, FieldTurf installation began last week. :nod:

But with respect to the rivalries, if all 3 CA FCS schools were in the same conference, I think they would all be good rivalries. :twocents:
SloStang
Level2
Level2

Post by SloStang »

SDHornet wrote:

I didn't know CP considered us rivals and that CP folks also call it the Causeway. This is news to me. :lol:
Cal Poly and Sac State played 30 games and the serries was tied at 15-15 before Sac State pulled the pin when NC was added to the Big Sky. I would say that players on both teams would look to circle Davis first and then look for Poly/Sac State second when new schedules were released. Davis and Sac State are so close to each other you would expect that to be a bitter rivalry, but Sac State and Cal Poly was at least a hotly contested game each year that neither team wanted to lose. I was glad to see Sac State on the schedule in 2009 (which Cal Poly won to take a 16-15 serries lead) and was disappointed that they are not on the 2010 schedule.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SloStang wrote:
SDHornet wrote: I didn't know CP considered us rivals and that CP folks also call it the Causeway. This is news to me. :lol:
Cal Poly and Sac State played 30 games and the serries was tied at 15-15 before Sac State pulled the pin when NC was added to the Big Sky. I would say that players on both teams would look to circle Davis first and then look for Poly/Sac State second when new schedules were released. Davis and Sac State are so close to each other you would expect that to be a bitter rivalry, but Sac State and Cal Poly was at least a hotly contested game each year that neither team wanted to lose. I was glad to see Sac State on the schedule in 2009 (which Cal Poly won to take a 16-15 serries lead) and was disappointed that they are not on the 2010 schedule.
I think we only took that game because CP payed 100k for the game. Like I said elsewhere, adding CP to the season every year locks up the entire schedule (BSC games and the Causeway make for 9 games every season) except for the FBS money game. I don't think many fans will be ok with virtually the same schedule every year.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

It's sort of serious, well not really, but kinda. CSU has improved greatly and they'll continue to improve
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
tampajag
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: whooties
A.K.A.: hamburger pimp

Post by tampajag »

A rivalry that I love is Southern/FAMU lots of bad blood between the schools. This series has seen lots of wildness disagreements over tickets (one year they sold Southern fans multiple tickets for the same seats), visiting fans storming the home team's field, coaches talking trash in the media, you name it. This was an every year game until the time FAMU tried to move up to FBS (it was I-A at the time)

I'll never in my life forget that 65-18 beating the snakes laid on us.
g-webb1994
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Gardner-Webb

Post by g-webb1994 »

ToTheLeft wrote:I know there are people at LU who want GWU to be a rival, but you guys just don't compete with us in football anymore, so we overlook you. Give us a game or two and we'll be glad to hate ya. :) Women's basketball, LU/GWU is a great rivalry at this point, considering the coaching situation...
If LU can get by host High Point, that G-W/LU womens finale will be a doozy...

Actually in football, LU's problem is not 'overlooking' G-W, but instead, overlooking Stony Brook or those Calvinists down in Clinton. :kisswink:
SactoHornetAlum
I am a fan of: Sacramento State

Post by SactoHornetAlum »

SDHornet wrote:
SloStang wrote: Cal Poly and Sac State played 30 games and the serries was tied at 15-15 before Sac State pulled the pin when NC was added to the Big Sky. I would say that players on both teams would look to circle Davis first and then look for Poly/Sac State second when new schedules were released. Davis and Sac State are so close to each other you would expect that to be a bitter rivalry, but Sac State and Cal Poly was at least a hotly contested game each year that neither team wanted to lose. I was glad to see Sac State on the schedule in 2009 (which Cal Poly won to take a 16-15 serries lead) and was disappointed that they are not on the 2010 schedule.
I think we only took that game because CP payed 100k for the game. Like I said elsewhere, adding CP to the season every year locks up the entire schedule (BSC games and the Causeway make for 9 games every season) except for the FBS money game. I don't think many fans will be ok with virtually the same schedule every year.
Actually, Im fine with playing Poly every year as the opposite home/road to davis. Same schedule continuity breeds rivalries. See how schools in the Southern and Midwest part of the country historically have done. We have just been behind the 8-ball out West here when it comes to that.
SloStang
Level2
Level2

Post by SloStang »

SDHornet wrote:
SloStang wrote: Cal Poly and Sac State played 30 games and the serries was tied at 15-15 before Sac State pulled the pin when NC was added to the Big Sky. I would say that players on both teams would look to circle Davis first and then look for Poly/Sac State second when new schedules were released. Davis and Sac State are so close to each other you would expect that to be a bitter rivalry, but Sac State and Cal Poly was at least a hotly contested game each year that neither team wanted to lose. I was glad to see Sac State on the schedule in 2009 (which Cal Poly won to take a 16-15 serries lead) and was disappointed that they are not on the 2010 schedule.
The Big Sky adding a 9th team was a death blow to the serries. I know that Sac State wants more flexabiltiy in scheduling, but it is too bad because they have more history with Cal Poly than any team in the Big Sky. Sad to see the serries go by the way side.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I know it sounds stupid and this is somewhat off-topic, but Cal Poly is gonna feel like a rivalry game next year for us. Weird to say, but people are excited about that one, especially since they're a west coast team. I think we're havin' a Bobby Wilder rally the day before the game.