Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Re: Hofstra Resurrection?

Post by Col Hogan »

MrTitleist wrote:
danefan wrote:
Hofstra and Northeastern really should have considered the NEC before they disbanded. They could have cut their expenses in more than half, especially with travel. And they still would have had access to the playoffs with the NEC's AQ. I have to imagine the NEC would have accepted them as associate members and the CAA probably would have been fine with since the NEC is a limited scholarship league right now.
Agreed. NEC would have been a better fit. I was actually thinking of Albany when I wrote my original post. I'm guessing both programs could have been saved had they explored options instead of just immediately axing them.
Just my opinion from what I've read, and no inside information...but...I think Hofstra could have/would have been saved if they had followed some of the things posted in this thread...

Northeastern...on the other hand...I think was DOA the last day of the season and nothing was going to save it...

:twocents:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

Col Hogan wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:
Agreed. NEC would have been a better fit. I was actually thinking of Albany when I wrote my original post. I'm guessing both programs could have been saved had they explored options instead of just immediately axing them.
Just my opinion from what I've read, and no inside information...but...I think Hofstra could have/would have been saved if they had followed some of the things posted in this thread...

Northeastern...on the other hand...I think was DOA the last day of the season and nothing was going to save it...

:twocents:
Yes - I agree. I don't think Northeastern had any chance to survive. They, unfrotunately, were destined to follow in BU's footsteps.

Hofsta was a terribly rash decision, IMO. Rabinowitz didn't want football and there was, unfortunately, no one there to slow down his decision making process.
COBBLESTONE
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: URI RAMS
A.K.A.: D1C

Post by COBBLESTONE »

dbackjon wrote:That would be great if they could

:nod:

It'd be sweet. Maybe it could lead to the resurrection of some other programs.
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
Henry David Thoreau, Walden, Conclusion, 1854
COBBLESTONE
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: URI RAMS
A.K.A.: D1C

Post by COBBLESTONE »

danefan wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:Seems like Hofstra should have investigated the PL option before completely cutting football.. if they could have cut some scholarships, maybe they could have kept the program afloat..
Hofstra and Northeastern really should have considered the NEC before they disbanded. They could have cut their expenses in more than half, especially with travel. And they still would have had access to the playoffs with the NEC's AQ. I have to imagine the NEC would have accepted them as associate members and the CAA probably would have been fine with since the NEC is a limited scholarship league right now.
Good point. Maybe if this resurrection occurs, Hofstra would head in that direction. Patriot League also sounds like a logical move.
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
Henry David Thoreau, Walden, Conclusion, 1854
Seawolf97
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: StonyBrook
A.K.A.: SBU

Post by Seawolf97 »

COBBLESTONE wrote:
danefan wrote:
Good point. Maybe if this resurrection occurs, Hofstra would head in that direction. Patriot League also sounds like a logical move.
While I will agree the PL would be agood fit for a future Hofstra program what about the PL's ambitions with schollies. Hofstra joins the PL sometime in future and would probably fight against any scholarship football-really not a good mix for our PL bretheren who want schollies. If Hofstra ever did come back they would want to it cheap ,which is sad in its own right.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

Seawolf97 wrote:
COBBLESTONE wrote:
While I will agree the PL would be agood fit for a future Hofstra program what about the PL's ambitions with schollies. Hofstra joins the PL sometime in future and would probably fight against any scholarship football-really not a good mix for our PL bretheren who want schollies. If Hofstra ever did come back they would want to it cheap ,which is sad in its own right.

I think the Patriot League's scholarship aspirations are really only Fordham's aspirations. Sure would have been nice for Albany, Fordham, Stony Brook and Hofstra to be in the same football league......oh well I guess.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Dont' forget that Villanova did it.

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-04-06/ ... e-football
ur76spider
I am a fan of: Richmond

Post by ur76spider »

Football "resurrections" do happen...sometimes. Back in the 1980s Villanova dropped football. I believe it was right after a stadium or playing surface upgrade! A few years later VU returned the sport. :thumb: We all know that last year (20009) the Wildcats won the National Championship! :nod:
Seahawks
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Wagner College Seahawks

Post by Seahawks »

If they do resurrect the program, the Northeast Conference would be a perfect fit for them. Hofstra and Wagner had a big rivalry in the 60s and 70s.
Wagner Seahawks 1987 NCAA Division 3 National Champions
LastMinuteman
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: UMass

Post by LastMinuteman »

Northeastern did look at the NEC, or at least said they did, as well as the PFL. They weren't willing to make those moves. How much of that was due to their un-fixable facilities situation versus the general unwillingness to continue playing if they had to downgrade, only they know.

Hofstra, on the other hand, gives the impression of a decision being made to seize the opportunity to piggyback on Northeastern's announcement with no consideration whatsoever of keeping football alive in any form. Certain people simply wanted Hofstra football gone.

Side note: If the federal reports are to be believed, the Patriot League doesn't offer meaningful cost savings over the CAA, at least if you intend to be competitive. What the top Patsie programs offer in financial aid to their football players ends up being equivalent to 90% of the scholarship costs for a CAA team. Hofstra could have saved a small amount on travel but it'd be a drop in the bucket. Hofstra's longest trip in the CAA was Maine, and Maine at least considered that a bus trip. They were the most geographically central location in CAA Football.
collegesportsinfo
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: UMass
A.K.A.: Quinn, KingCal

Post by collegesportsinfo »

COBBLESTONE wrote:
dbackjon wrote:That would be great if they could

:nod:

It'd be sweet. Maybe it could lead to the resurrection of some other programs.
Would love to see some non-scholarship football programs back at NU, BU, Hofstra, even Vermont. Damn Title IX!
- Quinn

CollegeSportsInfo.com:
NCAA Message Board Directory, Conference Realignment Forums & Expansion News