Cal Poly to face 7 FBS teams over the next 6 seasons

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
SloStang
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Cal Poly

Cal Poly to face 7 FBS teams over the next 6 seasons

Post by SloStang »

Cal Poly will play 7 FBS teams over the next six seasons with at least one more to added in 2014. Here are the teams on that have been scheduled:

2010 - Fresno State

2011 - San Diego State, Northern Illinois

2012 - Wyoming

2013 - Fresno State, Colorado State

2014 -

2015 - Arizona State

Link to Cal Poly press release: http://www.gopoly.com/index.php?p=sport ... e_id=91931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Cal Poly to face 7 FBS teams over the next 6 seasons

Post by dbackjon »

Theoretically, most of those should be competitive.
:thumb:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I agree with Jon. If current talent spreads still apply by '15, ASU will likely be the only true blowout in the bunch unless Cow Poly has a huge downturn in recruiting. The Mustangs stand a pretty good chance of winning the Cali games at least, and perhaps the Cowboys, too. I'd even include NIU in that. Not sure about the Rams, but that game should also be competitive, at least, as Jon said.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
jb4g
I am a fan of: UTSA

Post by jb4g »

Slostang....have you heard anything regarding UTSA being on your schedules in '11 or '12?
SloStang
Level2
Level2

Post by SloStang »

jb4g wrote:Slostang....have you heard anything regarding UTSA being on your schedules in '11 or '12?
I have only seen it on UTSA's tailgating board. I would like to see a home and home with UTSA. I'll keep my fingers crossed and my ears open.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote:Theoretically, most of those should be competitive.
I agree - outside of Fresno having some really good teams, the other ones are certainly lower tier FBS teams - best of both worlds for Cal Poly - they get the money upfront and they can realistically get some W's as well.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

GannonFan wrote:
I agree - outside of Fresno having some really good teams, the other ones are certainly lower tier FBS teams - best of both worlds for Cal Poly - they get the money upfront and they can realistically get some W's as well.
Arizona State is lower-tier FBS? :?
native
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Weber State

Post by native »

It's so hard to tell, this far ahead of time.
Proud Prince of Purple Pomposity
YT is not a communist. He's just a ...young pup.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Grizalltheway wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Arizona State is lower-tier FBS? :?
You're right - I forgot that Rod Tidwell was a Sun Devil. :lol:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Herky
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Sacramento State
A.K.A.: StungAlum

Post by Herky »

Um, most FCS programs will play at least 6 FBS programs over the next 6 years, what's the point of this thread? I'm sure if you go back and look at the last six years of scheduling you'll see that this isnt uncommon. ;)
If it looks like a cow, smells like a cow, and moo's like a cow, it's a UC Davis coed.
SloStang
Level2
Level2

Post by SloStang »

Herky wrote:Um, most FCS programs will play at least 6 FBS programs over the next 6 years, what's the point of this thread? I'm sure if you go back and look at the last six years of scheduling you'll see that this isnt uncommon. ;)
Never said it was uncommon. What is the point of you coming on this thread to ask what the point of this thread is? If it does not interest you, don't click on it.

Let's see the list of FBS teams Sac State will play over the next 6 years. I know that Sac has Stanford on the books, anyone else?
CatMom
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas St & Tight Ends
A.K.A.: CatMILF

Post by CatMom »

Herky wrote:Um, most FCS programs will play at least 6 FBS programs over the next 6 years, what's the point of this thread? I'm sure if you go back and look at the last six years of scheduling you'll see that this isnt uncommon. ;)
If you look, there are actually 7 games are in FIVE years with an open year yet unfilled. Which then would be 8 games in 6 years
JMUpurplehazed
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: James Madison
A.K.A.: Purplehazed

Post by JMUpurplehazed »

Why do people care if Montana plays an FBS team or not? Isn't Montana an FCS team? If others do so for the money or PR so be it but who cares what Montana does. :twocents:
James Madison University --- Better than you since 1908...
expandspanos
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: School of Hard Knocks

Post by expandspanos »

@ JMUpurplehazed.. nobody said anything about Montana in this thread.

Hit the volcano a little hard? j/k.. 8-)
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Doubling up on I-A's when you don't have an auto = not a good idea IMO.
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

89Hen wrote:Doubling up on I-A's when you don't have an auto = not a good idea IMO.
You are forgetting that they will be part of the CAA West by 2013 so that point is mute.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

grizzaholic wrote:
89Hen wrote:Doubling up on I-A's when you don't have an auto = not a good idea IMO.
You are forgetting that they will be part of the CAA West by 2013 so that point is mute.
CAA Central. We're looking at a few teams in Alaska and Hawaii that will be the West.
Herky
Level1
Level1
A.K.A.: StungAlum

Post by Herky »

SloStang wrote:
Never said it was uncommon. What is the point of you coming on this thread to ask what the point of this thread is? If it does not interest you, don't click on it.

Let's see the list of FBS teams Sac State will play over the next 6 years. I know that Sac has Stanford on the books, anyone else?
Not sure, did a little research but nothing came up. But, in the last six seasons Sac played 7 FBS teams.
If it looks like a cow, smells like a cow, and moo's like a cow, it's a UC Davis coed.
SloStang
Level2
Level2

Post by SloStang »

Herky wrote:
SloStang wrote: Never said it was uncommon. What is the point of you coming on this thread to ask what the point of this thread is? If it does not interest you, don't click on it.

Not sure, did a little research but nothing came up. But, in the last six seasons Sac played 7 FBS teams.
I would bet that Cal Poly will end up with 2 FBS games each year. Not because they want them, but because it is so hard to schedule western FCS teams and the fact that the FBS game also help pay the bills in tough economic times.

Cal Poly has never posted anything about future schedules and this was a first. It was only posted for about 2 hours before it was pulled so I would guess someone posted it without clearing it. My guess is that they do not post future schedules because they are always changing. I know very late this year Idaho State bought out of a game in SLO (2nd straight year ISU has bought out of a game with Cal Poly) and Fresno State changed the date of their game with Cal Poly.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

SloStang wrote:

A while back I found a website that had all D-I schools and their known future opponents listed. I can't find that site now. :x Anyways, I thought I saw Arizona State on the list in the next few years. I wouldn't mind another match-up with UNLV. I use any excuse to take a trip to Sin City. ;) I am sure Sac State will have at least 1 FBS game a year for the money...and to get ready for the jump to the Pac-10 with Montana. :roll: :lol:
CatMom
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas St & Tight Ends
A.K.A.: CatMILF

Post by CatMom »

SDHornet wrote:
SloStang wrote: Never said it was uncommon. What is the point of you coming on this thread to ask what the point of this thread is? If it does not interest you, don't click on it.

A while back I found a website that had all D-I schools and their known future opponents listed. I can't find that site now. :x Anyways, I thought I saw Arizona State on the list in the next few years. I wouldn't mind another match-up with UNLV. I use any excuse to take a trip to Sin City. ;) I am sure Sac State will have at least 1 FBS game a year for the money...and to get ready for the jump to the Pac-10 with Montana. :roll: :lol:
NCAAPalace, but it's been down for quite a while. Guess whoever ran it forgot to pay or renew the domain?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

CatMom wrote:
SDHornet wrote: A while back I found a website that had all D-I schools and their known future opponents listed. I can't find that site now. :x Anyways, I thought I saw Arizona State on the list in the next few years. I wouldn't mind another match-up with UNLV. I use any excuse to take a trip to Sin City. ;) I am sure Sac State will have at least 1 FBS game a year for the money...and to get ready for the jump to the Pac-10 with Montana. :roll: :lol:
NCAAPalace, but it's been down for quite a while. Guess whoever ran it forgot to pay or renew the domain?
Oh...kinda like that other FCS board. :lol:
Green Cookie Monster
Level1
Level1

Post by Green Cookie Monster »

Sac State will play Colorado, Arizona State and Stanford over the next three years according to the State Hornet newspaper.
SloStang
Level2
Level2

Post by SloStang »

Green Cookie Monster wrote:Sac State will play Colorado, Arizona State and Stanford over the next three years according to the State Hornet newspaper.
Great games for Hornet fans. Wish we could get one of the California Pac-10 teams on Cal Poly's schedule.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SloStang wrote:
Green Cookie Monster wrote:Sac State will play Colorado, Arizona State and Stanford over the next three years according to the State Hornet newspaper.
Great games for Hornet fans. Wish we could get one of the California Pac-10 teams on Cal Poly's schedule.
Try to schedule Stanford. Then CP can turn it into some kind of "academic" battle that "the farm extension" claims is a factor in the match-up. :roll: