Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Big Sky Spring Game Wrap-Ups

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

Eastern Washington
Red Shuts Out White 20-0
http://goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2009- ... WhiteRecap

The game wasn’t much of a game as three different quarterbacks directed touchdown drives to help the Red shut-out the White 20-0 in the annual Red-White Game Saturday (April 24) at Woodward Field in Cheney, Wash.

The Red had a 276-157 advantage in total offense and also recorded nine quick-whistle sacks as the Eagles concluded their third week of spring practices. Eastern still has three more practice days to go, but Saturday’s game was a competitive switch from recent Red-White games which have essentially been controlled scrimmages.

“We had a little fun with it,” explained head coach Beau Baldwin. “I split up the coaching staff and then went back and forth picking by positions. There was some strategy -- it wasn’t just random.”

“I worried about some of the sloppiness whenever you break-up units,” he explained. “Early on there was a little bit of that. But on the positive side, what we got out of it was a competitiveness that we haven’t had here with the spring game. When you just play offense versus defense it feels like a glorified practice. But since Wednesday, when we announced the teams, they were excited and jacked-up to play a game. That part of it I love.”

The Red opened the scrimmage with a 61-yard pass play from junior quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell to sophomore receiver Greg Herd. Mitchell capped the three-play, 70-yard drive with an 8-yard scoring run.
Idaho State
Hill Throws for Two Touchdowns, 96 Yards
http://www.isubengals.com/sports/m-foot ... 10aaa.html

The Idaho State offense shined Saturday in the annual ISU spring game rushing for a total of 91 yards and scoring four touchdowns. Senior quarterback Russel Hill threw 8-13 for 96 total yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions while freshman Kyle Morris completed 3-4 for 18 yards and one touchdown.

The spring game consisted of plays starting at the offense's 1-yard line and 40-yard line as well as red zone drills at the 20 and 5-yard lines. Junior Jahmel Rover led in rushing with 13 carries for 31 yards and one touchdown. Freshman Darrius Coleman rushed for 25 yards on eight carries while sophomore Skylar Morgan notched 19 yards on 11 carries.

Hill connected with junior Kelvin Krosch twice in the end zone. Krosch's first touchdown reception came from a 20 yard pass and another from five yards out for a total of 32 yards on three catches for the day.
Montana
Ground attack highlights spring game in Butte
http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/n ... =8859&m=18

The running game was working on all cylinders and several big plays were the order of the day, Saturday, April 17, as The University of Montana Grizzlies held their final football scrimmage of spring drills in front of 2,000-plus fans in Butte’s Alumni Coliseum.

Montana was wrapping its 2010 spring drills along with host Montana Tech. The Orediggers held a 110-play scrimmage at their home field prior to the Grizzlies’ finale.

The Grizzlies racked up 579 total yards on 90 plays and averaged an impressive 6.4 yards per play. Montana rushers combined for 40 carries for 281 yards, scoring five touchdowns via the ground game. Three Grizzly quarterbacks went a combined 28-of-50-0 passing for one touchdown.
Montana State
McGhee Leads Blue Team to Victory in Sonny Holland Classic
http://www.msubobcats.com/news/2010/4/2 ... 02350.aspx

In one spring scrimmage, freshman quarterback Denarius McGhee experienced everything on his checklist of the things that makes Montana State “a great place to play quarterback.”

Great run game? Check. Great defense? Check. Good receivers, check.

“The best thing about being a quarterback here is that we have a great run game,” said McGhee, thrust into the role of primary quarterback after Cody Kempt’s spring-ending injury last week, “and a great defense.” McGhee’s Blue team benefitted from CJ Palmer’s 78 rushing yards and a defensive effort that produced a 31-0 shutout over the Gold team in Saturday’s Sonny Holland Classic at Bobcat Stadium.
Northern Arizona
Football Completes Practice with Spring Game
http://www.nauathletics.com/sports/fbal ... 4.10spring

Wide receiver Khalil Paden, a transfer from San Jose State, had three catches for 110 yards including a 70-yard touchdown pass from Chase Stangel to highlight the Northern Arizona Spring Game Saturday at Cromer Stadium at Coconino High School.

Senior quarterback Michael Herrick went 8-for-10 for 99 yards and Matt Myers made four field goals in the game including a 51-yard attempt.

“It went well today,” said Herrick. “I thought our offense came out and scored early. I think the No. 1 unit did well and the No. 2 unit moved the ball. We created some depth and I think overall the offense did well.”
Northern Colorado
Defense dominates, offense struggles in UNC spring game
http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/2 ... ofile=1010

Don't expect the University of Northern Colorado football team to name a starting quarterback any time soon. This battle could go well into the fall.

The only thing that was cleared up on Saturday in the Bears annual spring scrimmage at Nottingham Field was the weather. The quarterback picture remains cloudy.

While it appears for now to be a two-man battle between the more experienced sophomore Dylan Orms or upstart redshirt freshman Matt Baca for the starting job, neither QB appeared to get the edge in the nearly 2 1/2 hour scrimmage.

In fact, it was the defense that dominated the scrimmage, winning the game 26-25 using a format designed by the coaches that allowed both sides to score points during the various game situations simulated during the scrimmage.
Portland State
White Beats Green 14-13 In Spring Game
http://www.goviks.com/ViewArticle.dbml? ... =204942912

Hillsboro, OR - Portland State football had a look at the future in the annual Spring Game as the White Team defeated the Green, 14-13, in a 90-play scrimmage.

The Viking team and its fans returned to Hillsboro Stadium for the game to preview what they will see this coming fall. PSU will play its home games at Hillsboro as PGE Park will be renovated. The new Pistol offense and 4-3 defense brought in by new Head Coach Nigel Burton were also revealed.

A highly-competitive game between two evenly matched teams was also a nice addition. In past seasons, PSU has had to play offense vs. defense. This year, with a large group of players, it was possible to break into two teams.

On the field, the White team dominated play, gaining 269 yards on 43 plays. The return of Tygue Howland and solid play by quarterbacks Nick Green and Hank Taylor allowed the White to pass for 200 yards.
Sacramento State
OFFENSE AND DEFENSE BOTH FIND THE END ZONE IN GREEN-GOLD GAME
http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/foot ... se_id=8845

Sacramento State head football coach Marshall Sperbeck left Saturday's Green-Gold Game with a sense of accomplishment. The team closed out its spring season in front of several hundred fans at the practice field with big plays on both offense and defense and a focus on the upcoming season.

"Overall we got a lot out of (spring ball)," Sperbeck said. "I don't want to get too optimistic or excited but we are heading in the right direction."

The defense made the first statement of the game, holding the offense without a first down on its first three series. Nate Jones then intercepted a Pete Murdaca pass and returned it 40 yards up the right sideline for the first score of the day.

The touchdown appeared to spark the offense which responded with two long drives. The latter drive was capped by a 6-yard pass from McLeod Bethel-Thompson to Ron Richardson for a touchdown.
Weber State
Both Sides Make Big Plays in Weber State's Purple / White Spring Football Game
http://www.weberstatesports.com/ViewArt ... =204931084

Weber State’s annual Purple and White Intra-Squad game ended up being more of a “Black and Blue” scrimmage, Saturday afternoon in Stewart Stadium.

Missing three starters on the offensive line, and with only five available offensive linemen for the entire game, the Wildcats struggled at times to move the ball against a defense which had a few MIA’s of its own, but in the end each side has some solid performances.

Veteran quarterback Cameron Higgins (6-2, 215 Sr 0 Hawai’i Kai, Hawai’i.) got enough protection to complete 9-16 passes for 102 yards but did not have a touchdown pass. Backups Mike Hoke (6-2, 215 Soph. - Kailua, Hawai’i), Jordan Adamczyk (6-2, 210 RsFr.) - Canyon Country, California) and Spencer Young (6-2, 205 Fr. - Salt Lake City, Utah)) were a combined 4-13 passing.
Last edited by Screamin_Eagle174 on Sat May 08, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Re: Big Sky Spring Game Wrap-Ups

Post by EWURanger »

:thumb:
GOKATS
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by GOKATS »

Good job!! :thumb:
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

I was bored. Interesting that UNC's Athletic Dept. doesn't give enough shits about the program to post a wrap up... the local paper was the only thing I could find. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:I was bored. Interesting that UNC's Athletic Dept. doesn't give enough shits about the program to post a wrap up... the local paper was the only thing I could find. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
If only BigSkyBears were still here he could tell you that they have some fabulous malls and shopping outlets in Colorado that detract from the "Culture" of football at the school.

:lol:
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:I was bored. Interesting that UNC's Athletic Dept. doesn't give enough shits about the program to post a wrap up... the local paper was the only thing I could find. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
If only BigSkyBears were still here he could tell you that they have some fabulous malls and shopping outlets in Colorado that detract from the "Culture" of football at the school.

grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:

It is just a shame that you pulled up Grizo's kilt and showed him, what you thought was, the worlds smallest penis. Turns out he got jealous of Grizo's toothpick and left.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

Updated.